New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default another adeva thing i guess (IC)

To commemorate the formation of Uruk's new Maharathi team, and as a general morale boosting measure after the disaster with Ares, a dance was organised. Naturally, as the team in question, you had to go, and that is how you find yourselves in one of Uruk's coastal bases, a relatively short journey on the transit system and equipped with a dock and helipad for foreign visitors - a fair few guests from the nations closest to Uruk, especially Japan, had been invited, although on the whole the guests were made up of staff and family of staff.

Despite still being part of one of Uruk's Antarctic bases, attempts have been made to make the large room a little more like a normal dance hall, with the decoration slanted towards an elegant, higher class look. One side of the hall is mostly made up of reinforced window, giving an excellent view of the ocean, and it is in front of this that the stage has been set up.

Before the dance can start properly, there is a speech. Tachibana, your immediate superior, takes the stage. He's a rather pale man, tall and skinny and always seeming a little uneasy with the situation he's in, and it seems that this time is no exception. "Um, hello everyone! As the Operations Director for the new team, I have been asked to make a speech. I am not particularly good at this, so I will make it quick. As the threat of the Sebitti grows, I have every confidence in the ability of this new team to effectively combat the threat for the good of humanity. This is a time to celebrate, while we have the opportunity, so, um, let's begin!" With that, he quickly walks off the stage, allowing for the band to start playing and the dancing to begin. If anyone takes the effort to watch Tachibana as he wanders among the crowd, they'll notice that he seems to have picked a route, peppered with the occasional awkward interaction, that brings him around all of you at some point, apparently keeping an eye on you all.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: another adeva thing i guess (IC)

For her part, Mia's dressed in a fairly simple white skater dress reaching just above her knees, thigh-high white socks, and black flats, though mostly because she hasn't quite figured out how to walk in heels just yet. She has applied the bare minimum of fairly subtle makeup, though the fact that several boys (and also girls, to a lesser extent) still found themselves to be looking at her indicates that she doesn't really need it. Not that she's aware of it, though; she remains as oblivious as ever.

After Mr. Tachibana made his somewhat rushed speech, Mia was surprisingly understanding of it, if a tad bit disappointed. Mr. Tachibana always had difficulty with these kind of speeches, so I get why he wanted it to be over with as soon as he could. Still, I hoped he had planned it out a little more. Oh well.

After the dance was officially started, Mia immediately goes off to socialize with other people; with all the preparations for the deployment of their Maharatis, she hasn't really gotten the chance to really talk with her classmates all that much, and there's also a lot of new people that she's excited to meet. Unfortunately, the sheer number of people in both groups meant that she doesn't really have the chance to have a conversation last for very long, but for the most part, she enjoys it, flitting from group to group with the kind of energy that showed she was genuinely interested in the other person.

As of now, she's currently speaking to the notorious American-German (former) playboy Jonathan Weiss, who has just recovered from having multiple ribs broken after he attempted to flirt with someone with a). little patience for his type and b). enough guts/mental instability to strike his chest full-force with a microphone. "Hi, John! You're looking pretty good tonight! How are things going, especially with your ribs?"
    Last edited by roko10; 2018-04-14 at 05:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Griffon

Mei opts to wear her school uniform as the modest-but-proper middle ground between an evening gown (too embarrassing!) and casual clothes (too lax!). Ideally it'll be just enough to let her blend in without attracting any... unwanted attention.

Nonplussed by Director Tachibana's speech, Mei begins wandering away from the dance floor as the music picks up. She reflexively starts looking for Mia, twisting her head this way and that to squint into the tide of people.

That was her first mistake.

Not paying attention to where she's walking, she bumps into Daisuke, an enormous athlete and, incidentally, one of her classmates.
    "Ah. A-ahh... Nnh..."
    She stares up into his eyes, a solid foot above hers, paralyzed and shaking.
    "Oh... Hi, Mei. Would you... like to dance...?"
    His bashfulness is no comfort. They're always--
    "A-ah-I'msorryIhavetogo!"
    She bows quickly enough to make herself lightheaded, already turning her hips to run before she's upright again. The result is inelegant, arms flailing to keep her balance as she dashes across the room.

That was her second mistake.

She careens into Ixion full-tilt, grabbing their muscular shoulders to stop herself from falling.
    The unvoiced scream she'd been carrying escapes as a pitiful whine.
    Her eyes, tear-streaked and dilated with panic, fall into Ixion's. Those eyes hurt her on an entirely different level, always so full of hate and disdain, but just now she's without the strength to escape their pull.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ixion cared little for dress code. Hence why they are here with a T-shirt and his plugsuit. This is typical for her; they have never actually been seen without his plugsuit on. She also doesn't care much for this gala. At least the band's music was decent, but they certainly had no intention of dancing.

He paid no attention to Tachibana's speech; if there were orders in there, she'd know, but there weren't. Fortunately, they were surrounded on all sides by nobody; even the most careless dancers picked up that he wasn't somebody to be near, so there was a pocket around her that was just empty.

Until Mei crashed into them.

Ixion pushed her off with a glare (and also his hands, but the glare was arguably more forceful), caring little whether Mei kept her balance. She ignored the girl after that; they were in a good enough mood prior thanks to the music...well, good by his standards. Though that mood may not last long at this rate.

If she wasn't going to chase Mei off... perhaps their anti-person bubble might ward off other men...?

5. - Top - End - #5

cool Re: another adeva thing i guess (IC)

Kang Jinha is wearing a simple, black collared button-up and slacks, downright modest compared to many of the other outfits being worn. Not that it’s a problem - he’s not aiming to dance with anyone. After all, one of his arms is full with two year-old Eun Jung.

Kang Jinha smiles, his eyes glittering, as he takes one of Eun Jung’s hands and moves it together with his to point out Mia from across the room as he whispers in the child’s ear in Korean. ”See her? Her name is Mia. She’s gonna be part of our family soon, so be nice to her, okay?”

It doesn’t seem to register with the child, but this doesn’t deter Kang Jinha’s shining smile. It’s only somewhat offset when Mia starts talking to John.

I probably don’t have anything to worry about, but... Let’s check in to make sure she doesn’t end up dancing with another man out of pity.

And with that, Kang Jinha starts making his way towards where Mia is, snatching Eun Jung a hors d’oeuvre to snack on along the way. When he arrives, he switches his brain back to English mode, though he’s still only just fluent in it and still sounding out words as he speaks, and greets her and John with a warm smile. ”Ah, Mia, John... Hello. How are you both?”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlo is badly dressed for this event. He's wearing a black cargo jacket, green khakis, and a plain black t-shirt. The jacket hangs open, the T-shirt is crooked, and the khakis are wrinkled. It doesn't help that his hair is long and uneven. The slightly short European has his hand in his jacket pockets, and hovers near a door with a sour look on his face.
    He runs his left thumb along the patterns in his lighter. Wonder if there's anything nice and flammable around here - Booze? Rags? I haven't played with Molotov cocktails before...
    Marlo is a little grumpy at the whole event. It's useless. Spend the money on something actually useful for ****s sake. It's snobby, it's irritating, and even worse, there are people all over the place. Ugh, are those people dancing? He better not got asked to dance. Spinning around like a top for no good reason. He scans the room, finding himself eyeing the his new teammates.

Mia, wayy too innocent. Annoyingly so. Like sweets that were too -well- sweet. Can't help but appraise her a little though. She'll probably be no better than eyecandy in the end.
    Mei. Sucked she was scared of him, but what can you do? She'll probably snap at her first sight of a real fire.
    Ixion. Is she even human? Whatever. He doesn't seem to like me, no need to like them.
    Hisao. Ugh. Just gross. Probably the type to think drama is the height of life.
    Kang. Man's intense. The way he circled, following Mia was not going unnoticed.

Marlo's lips curl into a little smile of his own. It might be worth watching the most interesting newcomer more attentively. He focuses on him - a kid? The smile quickly flips into a frown. This was no place for a kid to grow up. They'll end up ****ed in the head. Marlo slips his left hand out of the outer pocket of his jacket, leaving it hovering, ready to shove aside anyone who comes too close. The right hand remains in it's pocket as he begins to follow Kang.
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2018-04-14 at 06:49 PM.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

7. - Top - End - #7

Griffon

Mei stumbles back when Ixion pushes her, that being enough to break eye contact.
    "S-Sorry..."
    She forces a smile onto her face.
    "A-are you okay?"

Ixion gives no response, continuing to glare.

"I-I'm sorry. I'll... leave you alone..."

Daisuke lumbers directly toward the two, though Ixion's foreboding presence stops him a solid meter away. Mei yelps with surprise and darts behind Ixion, hiding her face like a child.
    "Um... Is Mei okay? I think I upset her and want to apologize..."
    He wrings his meaty hands and looks aside, unable to meet either Ixion's gaze or Mei's... skirt.

Ixion spares a glance toward Mei before replying, "Less so than you humans normally are."

Daisuke musters his courage and leans to the side, trying to peer around Ixion to Mei.
    "Mei, whatever I did, I'm very sorry. You don't have to dance with me if you don't want to. So... forgive me?"

Mei stands up, taking a step back, Ixion still between her and Daisuke. She smiles and makes a little dismissive wave.
    "S-sorry, it's fine. J-just my... stomach, yeah. I'm okay!"
    She continues her slow backpedal until she's out of Ixion's space, then turns and sprints for the door.

Upon confirming the emptiness of the darkened hallway outside the ballroom, she sags against the wall and puts a hand on her chest until her panicked breathing subsides.
    "I'm so pathetic. Worthless. Now Daisuke's night is ruined, and probably Ixion's too... if theirs was ever good to begin with. I should just--

Voices entering the hallway snap Mei out of her spiraling thoughts. Two girls - visitors for the ball? - speaking French to each other. She hadn't heard that for quite a while, outside of music and podcasts.

The girls cut their dialogue short with surprise when they notice her in passing. Mei can't see more than fuzzy blurs in the half-light, but her hearing is much keener than most.
    <"Excuse us, do you know where the bathroom is?">
    The other girls tries her English.
    "Will you please to use my bathroom?"

It takes Mei's brain a moment to shift gears, but the act of doing so also breaks her out of her shocked state. She chuckles at the awkward English and responds in rusty but fluent French.
    <"Yes, I was just going there. It's this way, I think!">
    She chats with the two - Millie and Annie - and soon finds herself commissioned as their translator for the duration of their stay at Uruk. By the time they come out of the bathroom together, they're talking animatedly and Mei is smiling sincerely for the first time tonight.

8. - Top - End - #8

GreenSorcererElf

Just leave the speeches to me next time, old man.

Hisao is there. Oh yes, he is very much there. He moves seamlessly through the crowd, acknowledging every eye he meets and every greeting he's tossed with just enough for no one to feel brushed off, but not spending so much time that his stride is broken. It's a delicate dance, with is barely a metaphor in his case as he turns and steps around people with a grace easily associated with ballet.

Now, who has earned more than a token acknowledgement?

His eyes move to the other pilots. What a mess. His tailored suit largely puts the crowd to shame. And then there's the schoolgirl uniform.

A pity about her. This isn't the time, but she will smile. I can make that happen. But tonight... perhaps no one has earned it. No surprise there. Oh well. Just find the girl in the nicest dress. No point shaming the boys.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Mia smiles brightly at Kang -and with him, also his baby brother Eun Jung, as he approaches. "Oh, hey Kang! We were just talking about John's injury here; apparently, a girl broke his ribs with a microphone after he came on too strong. It's okay, though, because apparently, things got weird after he got knocked out. He doesn't know much about it, because well, knocked out, but apparently a drunk man in a Santa costume barged in and everything went downhill from there. Right, John?"

John, however, falls silent at the sight of Kang Jinha; apparently, he has mistaken him for Mia's boyfriend, which dregs up some bad memories related to his ribs being crushed. "E-excuse me, but I need to go. T-to the toilet," he stammered out, as he quickly excused himself away from the conversation. Mia looks concerned at John's hasty departure, but doesn't seem to have any inclination to follow him. Should I or should I not... eh, probably not. Kang's going to want to talk to me again and then we're back in square one.

So, Kang, Eun, how are you two? Are you having any fun with the dance? Mia asked the boys, as she reaches out to tickle Eun's cheeks.
    Last edited by roko10; 2018-04-15 at 03:16 AM. Reason: WHOOPS MIA DIDN'T SAY THAT OUT LOUD SORRY THAT WAS THOUGHTS

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlo circles the room, tracking Kang. John has already backed off. Doesn't seem that anything interesting will actually happen here. Too many people. Well, he had come out here for no reason. There was nothing interesting left in here. Just stress. Too many people. It didn't feel right to have them at his back. He tightens his grip on the handle in his right pocket.

He steps out into the hallway. It's dark. Darker than comfortable. Darker than needed. He quickly draws his lighter, flicking it open to provide some illumination. The patterns that adorn it catch the light of the flame, winking gently. The flame reflects off Marlo's eyes, dancing tantalizingly, as though asking to be set free. Now he wouldn't feel right till he gave it more life. It was only fair. He slips off through the hallway towards the bathrooms. Always an easy spot to light a fire. A whole bin of paper towels, just waiting to be consumed.

It's with quite an eager expression, a wholehearted focus on the flame held in front of him, that Marlo rounds the corner, finding himself face-to-face with the trio. Mei is one of them. He continues to hold the flame aloft as he stands a few meters away from them. The unsteady glow coupled with his uneven bangs casts eerie shadows over his already suspicious visage. He breaks the silence.
    "I didn't scare you, did I?"
    Last edited by Hypersmith; 2018-04-15 at 01:12 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Griffon

The trio's conversation stops dead when confronted by Marlo rounding the corner. All three hesitate - open flame, dark hallway, frightful mien.
    ...I'm not alone. I'm a pilot! I have to be strong for Millie and Annie too!

Mei renews her lost smile and takes a few steps toward Marlo with a friendly wave.
    "H-hey there, Marlo! Are you looking for the bathrooms too? I think the men's room is just down this... hall..."
    A step too far.
    That was her third mistake.
    The French girls became disconnected from Mei's aura of confidence - one whispered sharply to the other, then both turned and broke into a run.
    I'm alone.

"M-Marlo...? D-do you think you could... put out that light, please? I-It hurts m-my eyes..."
    That's a lie. It helps me see - I just don't want to.

An involuntary step back.
    The darkness closes in. The other pilot is reduced to a blurry shadow on the edge of the firelight.
    She can't hear him anymore, over the roar of blood rushing through her inner ears.
    "M-Mia...!"
    Another step back.
    She turns to run, but it's too dark, and panic disorients her. She bounces off the wall and trips over a low bench, falling to the floor with screaming shins.
    She whispers a strangled cry for help, then draws herself in and waits for the burning to start.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking my Phobia Stress from this; rolled Bravery for Mei, then an arbitrary Bravery-with-bonus for the French girls, and the situation is now the definition of her Phobia. Marlo can try to help - I won't stack Phobia dice in the same situation - or some NPC can conveniently intervene.

(1d6)[6]
    Last edited by Elfbird; 2018-04-15 at 12:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

Before the conversation with Kang Jiu could truly begin, however, Mia suddenly noticed Mei's cry for help from the hallways, followed by her strangled cry. Mei!

”Sorry, Kang, but I got to go. Mei's- Something happened to Mei!” she explained to Kang, before rushing to the hallway.
    Last edited by roko10; 2018-04-15 at 09:16 AM. Reason: (Hyperpost)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

When Mei starts walking towards him, Marlo refocuses on her. It didn't make sense, but it scared him. Dark hallway. Disarming words. A foreign smile. His eyes widen involuntarily, a prickle of hostile fear within. Maybe that's what sets the others running.
    "Sorry, I didn't mean- wait!"
    Mei's demeanor changes. Suddenly he feels like the aggressive one, dominating the space. She wants the light out? Impossible. No.
    I can't, Mei, I'm-
    Her sheer panic sets her tumbling with a pitiful call for help. He knew she avoided him, but this was fear for one's life -
    What the hell is wrong with me.

The lighter flicks shut, and the blackness closes in. The knife is drawn quickly, held in front him in shaking fingers. His back was exposed - He stumbles backwards into the nearest wall. The darkness isn't complete, yet all his remaining senses start to strain themselves - footsteps, coming this way.
    He swivels towards the source of the sound, knife held at the ready.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    stress from phobia(1d6)[1]

14. - Top - End - #14

Planetar

The darkness of the hallway makes it hard to look for almost anybody, and so Mia was left with little recourse than to turn on her phone's flashlight, scouring the hallways for Mei. Instinctively she headed towards the women's bathroom, and found Mei on the floor, trembling, and Marlo pressing his back against the wall, holding a knife with trembling fingers. She closes in, using the smartphone to make her face clear for Marlo to see.

“Marlo, it's fine. It's just me. There's nobody here who wants to hurt you,” Mia said to Marlo, in an attempt to calm him down. Then she kneels besides Mei, stroking her arm gently, whilst placing her phone face-down to at least provide a source of light, however meager it might be. “Mei, it’s okay now. I’m here. There’s nothing to fear; it was just Marlo. Everything’s going to be fine…”

15. - Top - End - #15

A flash of annoyance crosses Kang Jinha’s eyes as Mia turns to run off. Tch... It’d be rude to correct her, but all the English-speakers cutting my name in half is annoying... Deciding he has nothing much better to do by sticking around, he goes after Mia, though he can’t move quite as quickly due to carrying Eun Jung.

When he arrived, the first thing he locked his eyes on was... the knife, a bit of light from Mia’s phone reflecting off it and giving Kang Jinha a brief but full view of his trembling hands.

Kang Jinha weighs his options for a brief moment. Both Mia and Eun Jung are here - he doesn’t want to risk escalating things if that could get them hurt... but Marlo already looks panicked. If he’s going to end up lashing out anyway... he’d rather risk taking a knife than let one of them do it.

“Marlo... Relax. Put the knife down,” Kang Jinha says while setting Eun Jung down, trying to make his voice soothing but failing to overcome his own intensity. He gets Marlo’s attention, but clearly doesn’t shake his fear...

... Alright.

Kang Jinha moves in quickly, trying to gain control of Marlo’s wrist, but his opponent is equally dexterous and spins it back around, with them each ending up in a wrist lock. “Marlo-! Nobody’s going to hurt you, but I need you to give me the knife now!”

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

With the light from Mia, Marlo resists lashing out, though he maintains his grip on his knife. It would be fine. Mei would be taken care of. He was in a different facility. He could go find something to set on fire, to help him relax.
    He tenses up again despite his efforts when Kang steps in. Worse, his focus shifts to Marlo, and he asks him to drop the knife. No. He wasn't going to be helpless. He was just going to walk away -

Kang reaches out for the knife. Marlo tries to back away, but he reacts too slowly, and they end up grappling over it.
    It was the only thing between him and them. If he gave it up, they would lock him away again.
    No one's going to hurt you. Lies. Lies. Lies. Lies. Lies.
    He growls, an animalistic fear taking over as he takes advantage of his shorter stature to knee the taller man in the inner thigh. He shifts suddenly, tossing his weight into the assailant’s wrist and snapping his grip, swinging about with the knife under his control.
    He ducks low, slashing the knife across his stomach and slipping back again, out of his reach.

Marlo is taking deep breaths, a fierce mixture or anger and fear in his eyes. He snarls. "Don't ****ing touch me."

17. - Top - End - #17

Griffon

Mei latches tightly to Mia's arm and takes a deep, shaking breath, then another, and starts to get herself under control. With Mia's help she pulls herself to her knees, then to standing.
    "Marlo, I--!"
    Her apology is cut short by horror at the unfolding scene.
    This is all my fault. I should just--
    She pulls back at first, wanting to run away with Mia while the men are distracted. Then she sees little Eun Jung sitting close to the struggle.
    I have to be strong. I can be strong!

"Mia,"
    she whispers urgently in the other girl's ear, "this is dangerous! We have to get Eun Jung out of here and find help!"

She pulls Mia forward, hoping to circumvent the men to grab Eun Jung and carry him back to the ballroom. She can't quite bring herself to unlatch from Mia, however, so she's subject to her resistance.

18. - Top - End - #18

Planetar

Mia looks on in shock as Marlo went on the offensive against Kang, even as she's helping Mei to get on her feet. Oh no. Oh no. This wasn't supposed to go like this. This wasn't supposed to go like this. She continues to be stunned with shock even as Mei, hoping to get Eun Jung away from the fighting boys, dragged her away, offering little to no resistance.

Then she snaps out of it, and realizes the sheer absurdity of the situation

Mia stops Mei from pulling her away further from the fighting boys. “Guys! Guys! GUYS! she shouted out loud, in an attempt to get their attention. “Marlo, Kang, Mei.... please, everyone... please calm down. Nobody here is really at fault for all that happened up until now; it's just that everything just snowballed into all this happening. Please, everyone, just stop fighting!”
    Last edited by roko10; 2018-04-15 at 01:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Kang, Mai, Mei and Marlo
    Show

The drama is interrupted by a shout in the distance, as an S2 agent starts running over from the general direction of the dance. However, before she can get to you, the ceiling of the corridor melts, a mesh seemingly made of fire and a mixture of solid and molten metal dropping down onto the agent. She's not going to be able to do much now.

After a few moments, alarms start blaring and you hear Tachibana over the intercom. "Everybody! We are under long range attack from the Sebitti. Would all non-essential personnel please proceed to the lower levels of the base for your protection and evacuation. Please remain calm and listen to security and S2 personnel. Also, pilots, it is time for you to fight, please proceed to the closest transit station so we can get you ready to go."

Luckily, given it's role in accepting visitors, the base has directions clearly indicated, so it won't take long to figure out where to go next - further down the tunnel a fair distance then down underground to the transit system.

At least it's not dark any more, between the hole in the ceiling and the fire. The baby is also currently unharmed and not in fire.

Spoiler: Ixion and Hisao
    Show

If either of you happened to be looking towards the band and the window, you'd see a bright light to the left of your view, although the source is out of sight.

After a few moments, alarms start blaring and you hear Tachibana over the intercom. "Everybody! We are under long range attack from the Sebitti. Would all non-essential personnel please proceed to the lower levels of the base for your protection and evacuation. Please remain calm and listen to security and S2 personnel. Also, pilots, it is time for you to fight, please proceed to the closest transit station so we can get you ready to go."

Naturally, the crowd promptly ignores Tachibana's request and panics, despite the best efforts of the personnel present to keep control. At the least, there are plenty of S2 agents around to show you the right way to go if you need it.

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

Mia freezes up in shock again as the corridor's ceiling melts and crashes down onto a poor S2 agent's body. This time around, however, she manages to regain her bearings quicker, especially as Commander Tachibana's message blared over the intercoms.

“Everyone!” she says in a far more authoritative tone than before. “You've heard the commander; it's time to move out. C'mon, there's no time to waste; to the transit stations!”

21. - Top - End - #21

Griffon

Mei's eyes glaze over after watching the molten ceiling collapse on the S2 agent. Bombs explode in her ears, echoing from distant countries she once called home.
    Her body can move, oh it can move, running like a frightened doe, threatening to crush Mia's wrist in her grip... But her mind is far away, unaware of the world around her.

Air raid sirens were as commonplace as the schoolbell and curfew call, when the Takamoris lived in Japan. She only remembers a little; she was very young then.
    They moved to France on the coast of the English Channel. To safety from the wars, for a time. She made friends and spent lazy summer days listening to the radio on the pier.
    There was no siren when the bombs rained down that day.

22. - Top - End - #22

Kang Jinha stumbles back in shock as Marlo’s knife slides through his gut. The world seems to go into slow motion as Kang Jinha eyes first Mia and then Eun Jung. With everything distorted like this, it’s almost like... is... the ceiling collapsing...!?