Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC Ljonarian Enigma: Tournament Chaos

Spoiler: Not Applicable
    Show
    Spoiler: opposed strength
    Show
    (1d20+1)[6]

Filler filler fille

As the creature crashed into her, Eggy stumbled falling to the ground.
    Last edited by Athedia; 2016-12-31 at 02:43 PM.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

2. - Top - End - #332

Eglantine watched as Rowan scurried past her, and let out a huff of frustration. "That means, heal me Rowan."

She swung again at the creature in front of her. "Vindal? You ready to go?"

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Attack:(1d20+5)[15]
    Crit: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

3. - Top - End - #333

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Eglantine watched as Rowan scurried past her, and let out a huff of frustration. "That means, heal me Rowan."

She swung again at the creature in front of her. "Vindal? You ready to go?"

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Attack:[roll0]
    Crit: [roll1]
    Damage: [roll2]
    Beaten bloody, the last hordeling threatening them retreats. From somewhere down the hall they hear a loud bang and wood cracking. "Yes, let's go!", Vindal replies.

They run after Rowan and the other prisoner he brought along. When they pass the heavy door, Vindal suggests they lock it again. "Who knows what else is there."

Spoiler: Athedia and Axe
    Show
    Sound came from the direction of south-east on the map.

The door is the one in square H2.

This combat is over, Eglantine and Rowan get 800 XP.

Rowan and Theréon are the first to reach the prison guards' office. Rowan remembers coming through here earlier when he was marched to the cells, his name was written down to the large book on the desk and most of his possessions were confiscated.

A wounded guard is lying by the wall to their right and another is just about to hand him a potion to drink. A third guard is standing by the other doorway, also wounded, but less severely, though her clothes and armour are covered in blood. Behind her, stands a familiar half-orc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Aerin pauses to regain her maneuvers before hurrying after the two guards.
    Aerin follows the guards down the corridor. She notices a small storeroom to her right, its door hanging open. The office is a room with few decorations, only some shelves, a desk and a few chairs. The Lieutenant is handing a potion to the wounded guard he was speaking of, a young human. "Here Geff, chug this. Things have gone bad, this foreign warrior says there's corpses all around the place and we need to get out."

"How can the castle be attacked like this?",
    the elf wonders aloud, looking at Aerin, as if she could answer, "I am Sandra Whidrin, by the way. You really saw more dead in the halls?"

Just a moment later, the Mata siblings rush into the room. First comes Rowan, pushing an elderly elf, who is babbling something incomprehensible. Eglantine is not far behind, followed by another elf, this one appearing more sane.

Spoiler: Map, everyone
    Show
    People are marked by the first letter of their name. Since some markings have changed, here's a summary:
    R = Rowan
    A = Aerin
    E = Eglantine
    V = Vindal
    T = Theréon (Darian's father)
    L = Lieutenant, human, slightly drunk
    S = Sandra, elven guard, wounded
    G = Geff, human guard, badly wounded

Here we go with the NPCs again, I just can't help it, can I? ^^'
    Last edited by CWater; 2018-02-01 at 05:49 AM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

4. - Top - End - #334
    Colossus in the Playground

"It's an inside job. Hello again. I see you're still alive. My name is Aerin. Rowan, can you heal Geff? While we're all together, maybe we should try to reach the Duchess, not leave." Aerin muses.

5. - Top - End - #335

As soon as they get into the room, Eglantine shut the heavy door behind them. She then grabbed the Mr. Stabby back from Rowan and thwacked him on the head with the stuffed unicorn. "Don't you EVER do something stupid like that again. And for the gods sakes, use your healing for SOMETHING." She gestured at the multiple wounded, including herself.

Turning to the Lieutenant she spoke again, less harshly. "They were already in the dungeons. Dragon like creatures. There was another guard down there, but he disappeared around a corner... I don't think it went well. The screaming stopped."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Rowan rubs his head ruefully. "What was I supposed to do? Run, then get arrested for running too?" he turns his attention to the multiple wounded and replies to Aerin.. "Good to see you again too. This, he indicates Theréon, Is Darian's father. Maybe he can help us find the duchess?
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, sorry I missed so much, an I apologize for any typos, the two year old is Climbing on me.
    Cure moderate wounds for Eggy: (2d8+11)[20] (+1/CL (4), +CHA (3) +2/spell level (4) )
    Cure light wounds for Aerin: (1d8+9)[14]
    Cure moderate for Geff: (2d8+11)[19]
    Cure light for Sandra: (1d8+9)[16]

Reflex save: (1d20+3)[4]
    Last edited by aReallyGreatAxe; 2017-01-01 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Duchess, not duck.

7. - Top - End - #337

"Thanks. Oh, can any of you identify these?" Aerin holds up one of the potions she took from the dragonkin.

8. - Top - End - #338

Eglantine took the potion and gently undid the top, then wafted the aroma towards her. She then carefully looked at the consistency and color of the potion. She then recorked it and handed it back to Aerin. "Potion of Invisibility."

Spoiler: Spellcraft Check
    Show
    Using an inspiration point w/ Cunning Knowledge (Spellcraft). (1d20+13)[22]
    Last edited by Athedia; 2017-01-01 at 01:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339

Griffon

If there is something Rowan knows how to do, and how to do it well, it is applying curative magic. All Aerin's remaining wounds are healed, as are the guards', not even leaving the smallest scar behind. They thank him, though the Lieutenant looks a little suspicious. "You're not supposed to be let out of the cells...", he mutters, throwing a glance at Theréon as well.
    "Hey!", he shouts at the mad nobleman, "What do you think you're doing?!" The former prisoner had started to rummage through the cupboards.

"Oh, I thought my signet ring and sword might be somewhere here", he replies, not caring to turn or even stop what he's doing, "I will need at least the latter if we are going to fight dragons."

The elf guard, Sandra, looks even more worried than before, "Dragons? Were those dragons?! What, do you think they've come for the Duchess? We need to make sure she's safe, or at least raise the alarm!"

"Maybe", Vindal walks over to introduce himself to Aerin, "Vindal Ebon, a crafter of magic items, Eglantine is my apprentice. Not to question the basic responsibility of every citizen to protect their monarch, but I wonder what the few of us could do, other than maybe raise the mentioned alarm before getting away."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Remember that most here don't know about the murder plot, even Eggy doesn't know yet.
    You can share with the NPCs what you see fit.

Note: See edited post in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by CWater; 2017-01-01 at 02:21 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    If there is something Rowan knows how to do, and how to do it well, it is applying curative magic. All Aerin's remaining wounds are healed, as are the guards', not even leaving the smallest scar behind. They thank him, though the Lieutenant looks a little suspicious. "You're not supposed to be let out of the cells...", he mutters, throwing a glance at Theréon as well.
    "Hey!", he shouts at the mad nobleman, "What do you think you're doing?!" The former prisoner had started to rummage through the cupboards.

"Oh, I thought my signet ring and sword might be somewhere here", he replies, not caring to turn or even stop what he's doing, "I will need at least the latter if we are going to fight dragons."

The elf guard, Sandra, looks even more worried than before, "Dragons? Were those dragons?! What, do you think they've come for the Duchess? We need to make sure she's safe, or at least raise the alarm!"

"Maybe", Vindal walks over to introduce himself to Aerin, "Vindal Ebon, a crafter of magic items, Eglantine is my apprentice. Not to question the basic responsibility of every citizen to protect their monarch, but I wonder what the few of us could do, other than maybe raise the mentioned alarm before getting away."

Show
    Remember that most here don't know about the murder plot, even Eggy doesn't know yet.
    You can share with the NPCs what you see fit.

Note: See edited post in the OOC thread.
    "I did say they were dragon like. Flying, scales, breathing ice. Those tend to be dragony features. As for letting Rowan out of the cells, did you think I was going to let my little brother possibly be murdered. He is a pain, but he is MY pain. And seeing as he saved your men's lives, I think you can ignore his presence." As Vindal spoke, Eglantine straightened up and smiled at the mention of her name. She was proud of her position as his apprentice and very glad she had managed to identify the potion. It would have been embarrassing to have messed up in front of Vindal. "I just came to get Rowan. The Duchess has guards to protect her. Why were you looking for her anyway, Rowan? You are supposed to stay out of trouble, not create it."

11. - Top - End - #341

"What about the others?" Aerin gestures to the other two potions. "Any clue? Not dragons. Humanoid. No bigger than me--unfortunately. Part dragon. The Duchess is responsible for this. The monsters are hers. Every guard or servant who's been murdered here is someone she considered an unacceptable risk of supporting the Emperor rather than her."

12. - Top - End - #342

"What about the others?" Aerin gestures to the other two potions. "Any clue? Not dragons. Humanoid. No bigger than me--unfortunately. Part dragon. The Duchess is responsible for this. The monsters are hers. Every guard or servant who's been murdered here is someone she considered an unacceptable risk of supporting the Emperor rather than her."
    Eglantine looked at the other potions and paled a little. "I can try...." Two more chances to embarrass herself in front of Vindal.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    w/o inspiration this time *small tear*

1: (1d20+9)[21]
    2: (1d20+9)[28]

"Wait, your saying this was..treason. I don't believe you. No-one from this kingdom would betray the Emperor. You're lying. You have to be." Eglantine looked shocked and unnerved at Aerin's statement, vehemently trying to deny what it meant.

13. - Top - End - #343

Griffon

”How dare you?!”, the Lieutenant shouts and waves his fist at Aerin, ”Slander the Duchess again and I'll cut your foreign tongue out!” He takes a step forward.
    ”Sir...”, Geff, the younger human, says, putting a hand on his shoulder. Sandra is simply frozen with shock. Vindal looks thoughtful.

”Aha!!”, Theréon lets out a joyous shriek and backs away from the shelves holding a wooden sword of curious design. ”Now I can face these dreadful enemies!” He swings the sword around. ”Engarde! Die, you vile spawn!” It is unclear whether the movements are meant as an exercise, or if he actually sees an enemy in the air before him. He hits a cupboard.

”Stop that madman before he hurts someone!”, the Lieutenant snarls.
    ”Hah! And do you know why I am mad?”, asks Theréon and points the sword at the soldier, ”It is the conspirators doing! The true madmen's work! First I thought it was only the snakes swarming around the Duchess, but considering what was said”, he glances at Aerin, ”Perhaps, perhaps she is the biggest head of the dragon!”

”ENOUGH!! How dare you speak that way!!”, the Lieutenant is furious and his hand goes for his swordhilt, ”This is why lunatics belong behind bars! Are the rest of you also crazy? Or just honorless? Thieves, and traitors to our country?!”

”Sir...”, Geff tries again with no effect.

”But... the Duchess wouldn't kill her own people, surely”, Sandra says, trembling, ”She can't have anything to do with those dragonfolk... can't...”

Spoiler
    Show
    I couldn't sleep, so posting now. :J I gave Darian's father a colour, since otherwise there's too many speaking in black here.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Rowan finishes his work and sighs. "Look, I wouldn't want to believe anything bad about the Duchess either if I were in your place. I barely believe it myself. Yet Aerin and I heard this plot with our own two ears! If you won't believe us, ask Darian Belgrede!"

He pauses before continuing, making absolutely sure he wanted to say anything else. Eggy would probably already have his head for admitting he'd gotten himself into trouble. Possibly the biggest trouble imaginable.

"I'm not honorless, I don't think I'm crazy, and I'm definitely not a thief. If this turns out to be nothing, you can put me right back in that cell and try me for treason. But if we're right, if she or someone close to her is the dragon's head...can you really sit back and let the Emperor be murdered when you could've tried to stop it?"

Spoiler
    Show

It might not be the best idea to borrow phrases from a madman, but the dragon and snake thing was rather eloquent.

15. - Top - End - #345

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Rowan finishes his work and sighs. "Look, I wouldn't want to believe anything bad about the Duchess either if I were in your place. I barely believe it myself. Yet Aerin and I heard this plot with our own two ears! If you won't believe us, ask Darian Belgrede!"

He pauses before continuing, making absolutely sure he wanted to say anything else. Eggy would probably already have his head for admitting he'd gotten himself into trouble. Possibly the biggest trouble imaginable.

"I'm not honorless, I don't think I'm crazy, and I'm definitely not a thief. If this turns out to be nothing, you can put me right back in that cell and try me for treason. But if we're right, if she or someone close to her is the dragon's head...can you really sit back and let the Emperor be murdered when you could've tried to stop it?"

Spoiler
    Show

It might not be the best idea to borrow phrases from a madman, but the dragon and snake thing was rather eloquent.
    Eglantine grabbed Rowan's arm and yanked him to the side of the room. She attempted to stay quiet, but all that did was make her voice a loud whisper. "Rowan, what are you doing? Did you go mad? Did they-" She paused and yanked his head down, searching through his hair for any signs of damage to his skull. "Doesn't look like you hit your head. Seriously, please don't joke about this stuff. I can't afford to be on the wrong side of nobility, our landlady telling the guard I was a crook is bad enough for my reputation, I don't need more black marks for stuff I haven't even done."

16. - Top - End - #346

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show

Rowan's plead calms the Lieutenant down a bit, and while he still eyes them suspiciously, he lets go of the hilt of his sword. "I still don't believe in this tale", he declares, "whatever you've heard, you've just misunderstood your betters." He doesn't sound quite as certain as before though.

"Whatever the case is", Vindal cuts in, whoever those attackers serve, I think the concern for our lives is something we can share. These dragonspawn don't care to stop to inquire after our allegiances, which makes them clear enemies in my book no matter who commands them."

"Of course they are!", the Lieutenant snaps, "But no sane person would ally-"

"So I suggest we try the first proposed plan; make sure the alarm is raised and then get out of here. Let the army sort this out."

Eglantine grabbed Rowan's arm and yanked him to the side of the room. She attempted to stay quiet, but all that did was make her voice a loud whisper. "Rowan, what are you doing? Did you go mad? Did they-" She paused and yanked his head down, searching through his hair for any signs of damage to his skull. "Doesn't look like you hit your head. Seriously, please don't joke about this stuff. I can't afford to be on the wrong side of nobility, our landlady telling the guard I was a crook is bad enough for my reputation, I don't need more black marks for stuff I haven't even done."
    "Oh, but young miss", Theréon walks up to them and whispers, "I claim I am the only one of noble blood here. What if I said that you would end up on the wrong side of me, unless you listen to your brother? He's a reasonable young man, though I'm still not quite sure if he's entirely real", he smiles conspiratorially, "I promise I won't tell the other noble folks that the guard suspected you." He nods enthusiastically, then suddenly lets out a loud unnerving laugh.

Vindal gives him a worried look. "By the high magics, what's wrong with him?"

17. - Top - End - #347

"She was very explicit, we didn't misunderstand and," Aerin eyes Eglantine with disfavor, "it's no joke. But we leave, then, and hope it doesn't cost more innocent lives. What is wrong with him?" she echoes Vindal. "Some kind of spell?"
    Last edited by Kish; 2017-01-02 at 10:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"So you want me to actually be a criminal to avoid looking like one? I think staying quiet is worse treason, Eggy."

"She was very explicit, we didn't misunderstand and," Aerin eyes Eglantine with disfavor, "it's no joke. But we leave, then, and hope it doesn't cost more innocent lives. What is wrong with him?" she echoes Vindal. "Some kind of spell?"

"I don't know exactly what they did to him. Lord Belgrede says it's some kind of sickness, or maybe a curse. He's not exactly the best at explaining things at the moment."
    Rowan's pauses and approaches the noble with his hands up to show he's unarmed. "Sir, is there any way you could hold still and maybe put down the sword for a bit? We need to know everything about what the... ah... snakes did to drive you mad."

Spoiler: CWater
    Show

Would a heal check reveal what is going on with Lord Belgrede, or would that be spellcraft, or a knowledge roll? Eggy and Aerin could probably handle the latter, but I'm going to put a heal check here for expediency. Please disregard if it's not needed.
    Heal: (1d20+13)[14]

19. - Top - End - #349

Griffon

"I don't know exactly what they did to him. Lord Belgrede says it's some kind of sickness, or maybe a curse. He's not exactly the best at explaining things at the moment."
    Rowan's pauses and approaches the noble with his hands up to show he's unarmed. "Sir, is there any way you could hold still and maybe put down the sword for a bit? We need to know everything about what the... ah... snakes did to drive you mad."

Spoiler: CWater
    Show

Would a heal check reveal what is going on with Lord Belgrede, or would that be spellcraft, or a knowledge roll? Eggy and Aerin could probably handle the latter, but I'm going to put a heal check here for expediency. Please disregard if it's not needed.
    Heal: [roll0]
    "Yes yes, that is important!", Theréon replies. Despite his agreeable attitude, the man has trouble standing still and keeps making thrusts at invisible enemies. Close up, Rowan notices that the point of the wooden sword looks sharpened and could actually be used as a weapon.

Due to the nobleman's restlessness, Rowan is unable to determine what exactly is the problem, but it does seem to be some kind of disease that's working on him and clouding his mind, not a direct enchantment.

Spoiler: Axe
    Show
    A Heal check is a good approach, sadly looks like he's not very co-operative, but Rowan is skilled enough at this to get some information anyway. You can take 10 or even 20, but that will take more time, especially the latter.

Make a Knowledge(Religion) check please.

At that time they hear a loud thump, when something hits the heavy door that leads to the prison cells. A moment later it is repeated.

Spoiler: All
    Show
    Note, this door is not right next to the room you're in now, but some thirty feet down the hall to the right and behind a corner in U2 (not currently marked). I'll post a new map once I get home, but it's otherwise the same, save for character positions.

Also, actual combat is not on, but I'm counting rounds.

20. - Top - End - #350

Eglantine looked toward the door, worried. "I may have forgotten to mention. We didn't kill them all." She tightened her grip on her axe. "Is the Emperor here? We could just warn him and his guards that these creatures are here? That seems like a safe, non-treasony option."

21. - Top - End - #351

"The Emperor isn't here yet. His upcoming visit was apparently announced two days ago. Presumably there are enough of the lizard-creatures all over the palace to replace the guards they killed. We'll need to fight our way out of here. We should be able to get a cleric to heal--what's your name?" she pauses to ask the mad nobleman, "--if nothing else. Time to go, then?"

22. - Top - End - #352

Griffon

"Then we go. With haste. And keep our eyes open", Vindal says holding the fire dagger in his hand. The guards nod, no one in disagreement, and draw their weapons if they had not already. The Lieutenant is still holding on to the healing potion sack.

The nobleman turns towards Aerin when she inquires after his name. "I am Theréon Belgrede, miss", he makes a small bow with his head, "Lord of Ashgood." He scratches his chin. "No... That doesn't sound quite right either. Oh, young man called Rowan!", he points towards the cupboard, "There's a big pouch with your name on it, I wonder why?"

The banging of the door continues.

Show
    There are 4 CMW potions and 4 CLW potions left with the Lieutenant.

Could I have something of a marching order, please? Or at least a description of how your character places themselves. In three situations actually, which are 1) narrow corridor of 1 square width, 2) wider corridor of 2 square width, and 3) more spacious area, like a large room.

You can also direct the NPCs, both now and in combat too, it depends a little on their attitude on how well they respond. The younger guards are a bit suspicious of you, but are still most likely to follow orders, the Lieutenant somewhat less so. Vindal is most friendly, but can act differently if he believes he knows better (having had a workshop and apprentices of his own has made him more used to bossing people around than taking orders). Theréon also has a friendly attitude, but is sometimes unpredictable in his madness.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    And looking at one of the last posts I realise that I was completely wrong in noting about the door's position, it is of course in U17, not U2 at all and I have no idea how I could have made that mistake.

23. - Top - End - #353

Aerin will go first unless someone protests.

24. - Top - End - #354

Eglantine waited until at least 1 guard had joined Aerin and then grabbed Rowan's bag and shoved it in his hands and started shooing him out the door.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Eglantine waited until at least 1 guard had joined Aerin and then grabbed Rowan's bag and shoved it in his hands and started shooing him out the door.
    Rowan accepted the bag gladly, then turned to the task of shepherding Lord Belgrede of Ashfood, or wherever he was from, through the door. Preferably before he took out someone's eye swinging that stick around.

Spoiler
    Show

Rowan's going to try to keep Theréon from running off, and follow Aerin and/or Eggy. They seem to know what they're doing.

26. - Top - End - #356

Griffon

Aerin takes the lead, followed by Sandra. "Go with her, we'll take the rear", says the Lieutenant.

Rowan walks behind Theréon, trying to keep a small distance between him and Vindal in front of him, so the craftsman wouldn't get struck by the mad nobleman's sword point. They are followed by Eggy and the other castle guards.

Show
    Axe: The bag contains all the items that were taken from you. It didn't seem fair to let you walk past them this early in the game.

All: How fast are you moving? The guards' movement rate is 20 ft. due to their armour, so if you're staying together the options are:
    1) stealthy half-speed 20 ft. per round, 2) base speed 40 ft. per round, 3) running (40 ft. - 80 ft. per round depending on corners, etc.). I'm assuming 2 as the default.

Whatever you choose, please make Listen and Spot checks. If you take option 1, also roll Move Silently.

Also, are you going for the stairs in column B or P?

Marching order on the map.
    Show
    Last edited by CWater; 2017-01-06 at 09:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: Listen and spot
    Show

Listen: (1d20+3)[18]
    Spot: (1d20+3)[4]

Unless anyone wants to sneak, moving normally might be good. I worry that Théreon would begin to yell or something.

28. - Top - End - #358

Griffon

Aerin leads the strange collection of people towards the stairs, across the room with dead guards and dragonkin. The younger guards look upset by the sight, and Theréon pokes the bodies with his sword as he passes.

They climb the stairs up to a storage room. There is a door open and they enter the hall, which is empty and eerily quiet. When Eggy was here on her way in, all the doors were closed and nothing looked out of the ordinary. Aerin remembers the body down the hall, but more doors are hanging open now, revealing more death.

Despite the grim sight, they continue towards the front entrance. A little before they reach the corner, Aerin and Rowan hear noises coming from that direction. Footsteps, a clang and low voices talking, though they can't make out the words.

Show
    Last edited by CWater; 2017-01-06 at 04:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359

"Stay back and be quiet," Aerin says in a low voice. She draws her sword, approaches the corner as quietly as possible and peers around it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: (1d20+1)[16]

30. - Top - End - #360

Griffon

"Stay back and be quiet," Aerin says in a low voice. She draws her sword, approaches the corner as quietly as possible and peers around it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move Silently: [roll0]
    Aerin moves forward, carefully stepping over the body and steals a look around the corner. The hall is empty, and doors are hanging open or ajar. The noise is coming from the room closest to her on the other side, and a moment later a sneak steps out. He is one of the same Aerin fought earlier, the one who ran after August. He glances around but doesn't look particularly alarmed and is about to go to the right, away from Aerin.

Spoiler: OOC, all
    Show
    Aerin make a Hide check.

If anyone else changes their position, please let me know.
    Btw, this counts as a new encounter for Eggy in regards to the inspiration points.

Show
    Sn is the sneak, he was not wounded in the encounter with Aerin.
    I've coloured the squares of the corridor which Aerin can see.
    Last edited by CWater; 2017-01-06 at 05:45 PM.