New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: IC Ljonarian Enigma: Tournament Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post

I... I don't know", the half-elf looks distressed. Suddenly Brother Gregor lifts his head, but it's not the younger priest that finally got his attention. Gregor frowns and turns his head around as if he's sensing something in the air. "Someone has disturbed the peace of the temple grounds", he says in a grumpy tone, "Rowan, do find out what it is about, will you? If it's that baker's boy and his rascal friends pranking by disturbing the wards again, I swear I shall see to it that they spend a week in the room of Tranquility..."
    Rowan nods. "Sure thing." He addresses August again. "I'm sure you and Brother Gregor can work something out if you need to. I'll be right back." With that, he heads toward the garden door and steps cautiously outside, hoping to catch the miscreants in the act.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Oops. Messed up on thread. Will reproduce here.

"Step back. It won't be able to follow you." Aerin swings her sword grimly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Regaining maneuvers. Attack: (1d20+8)[11] Critical confirmation: (1d20+8)[9]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[10] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[10]
    Effective AC against lion 19.
    The lion dodges her attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Athedia View Post
    Eglantine took a shuddering breath as blood poured from the now gaping wounds in her front. Still holding the axe she followed the orc's instructions, stumbling back to where the elf was dropped. "Stand up, we need to get to the temple." She was feeling dizzy from the sheer amount of blood lost from the one attack.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Using Withdraw action to prevent AoO. Full round action. Move to AG29
    "R-right", the elf scrambles up, staring at Eglantine's wounds. The sight of so much blood makes him pale.

Alexander takes a sidestep to block the beasts path together with Aerin and swung the ranseur again.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+9)[20]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[9]
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

3. - Top - End - #93

Griffon

The lion is gravely wounded, but persistently continues to attack, targeting Aerin, the only person in its reach.

Spoiler: Full Attack
    Show
    Claw1: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[9]

Claw2: (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

Bite: (1d20+2)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[6]

Someone shouts a command in a foreign tongue, and the other lion sprints north, disappearing from view.

Quote Originally Posted by aReallyGreatAxe View Post
    Rowan nods. "Sure thing." He addresses August again. "I'm sure you and Brother Gregor can work something out if you need to. I'll be right back." With that, he heads toward the garden door and steps cautiously outside, hoping to catch the miscreants in the act.

Rowan steps outside. There's no sign of young pranksters, but something is wrong. He hears screams coming from the other side of the road and a human couple followed by a dwarf run out from one of the alleys. After them comes a large feline with a glowing orange mane, an animal not native to these parts, and it doesn't look the least friendly. The dwarf can't get out of the way fast enough and the lion knocks her to the ground, though it doesn't seem further interested in her and continues heading to the east.

It is around this time that the temple's wards start to activate properly. Rowan can feel the tingle of divine magic in the air as the carefully crafted pattern lying many feet under the surface projects to the surface in a glimmer of calming blue light. It starts from the temple and expands to cover the garden, street and even nearby houses. The people that ran from the alley are unaffected by the lights, but a few blue orbs appear to circle around the lion's head and stay there even as the greater pattern fades.

There's also a flash of light on a rooftop on the other side of the road, and a robed man suddenly comes to view, surrounded by dancing lights as well.

Aerin, Eglantine and the others can also see this man, and some strands of the warding spell. Pairs of blue orbs appear to circle around the lion, Aerin, Alexander and Eglantine. They don't hamper vision, or interfere with one's actions in any way.

Spoiler: For Rowan, or Knowledge(reliogion) or (local) DC 15
    Show
    The dancing lights left by the wards are harmless, but difficult to remove, except by those of Illyrie's clergy. They mark those who have taken violent actions on temple grounds.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    I had Rowan move a few squares south from the garden door so he would better fit on the map, I hope that's ok. The temple garden is surrounded by a strong iron fence, the type that it doesn't block vision nor offer any cover against range attacks. It has one gate on the south side and one to the east (latter not on the map) that are not locked.
    B means bystander, S is the man who just appeared.

Last edited by CWater; 2016-06-12 at 07:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Bleeding heavily, Aerin grinds her teeth. Concentrate. Focus. I'm better than this. She swings her greatsword in an arc.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Stone Bones. Then she'll take a step back, so that she's next to Alexander rather than in front of him.

Attack: (1d20+8)[14] Critical check: (1d20+8)[11] If hits, DR 5/adamantine until her next action.
    Damage: (2d6+4)[13] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[10]

5. - Top - End - #95

Spoiler: Knowledge Checks
    Show
    K(Local): (1d20+9)[29]
    K(Religion): (1d20+5)[11]

Eglantine let out a quiet prayer that the activating of those lights meant that the priests had noticed the disturbance. "Come on, my brother has to be there. He has to." Looking at the lights she cursed. "We're marked now. Hopefully someone spots the lions, understands why we are fighting."

Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    Moving to AR 26
    Last edited by Athedia; 2016-06-12 at 12:36 PM.
    Moved my stuff over to HERE!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Rowan looks at the lions for a few moments, his mouth hanging open. Then he closes it, dashes to the garden door and yells "It's not the baker, there are lions! " before continuing to the garden gate.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Double move action to go from 1AA to the assumed position of the door (-1AA), then continue to AH2 (which is coincidentally the gate). If the door is in fact farther, please let me know so I can reduce movement accordingly.

7. - Top - End - #97

Griffon

Bleeding heavily, Aerin grinds her teeth. Concentrate. Focus. I'm better than this. She swings her greatsword in an arc.

Spoiler
    Show

Using Stone Bones. Then she'll take a step back, so that she's next to Alexander rather than in front of him.

Attack: (1d20+9)[11] Critical check: (2d4+7)[13] If hits, DR 5/adamantine until her next action.
    Damage: [roll2] Critical damage: [roll3]
    It is very close, but in the end her sword catches only the lion's mane.

Alexander makes his attempt to bring the creature down, but he is no more successful.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[13]

Spoiler: Knowledge Checks
    Show
    K(Local): (1d20+9)[11]
    K(Religion): (2d4+7)[13]

Eglantine let out a quiet prayer that the activating of those lights meant that the priests had noticed the disturbance. "Come on, my brother has to be there. He has to." Looking at the lights she cursed. "We're marked now. Hopefully someone spots the lions, understands why we are fighting."

Spoiler: Movement
    Show
    Moving to AR 26
    The elf nods and runs after Eglantine. "The priests of Illyrie are... peculiar, I've heard."

Rowan looks at the lions for a few moments, his mouth hanging open. Then he closes it, dashes to the garden door and yells "It's not the baker, there are lions! " before continuing to the garden gate.

Show

Double move action to go from 1AA to the assumed position of the door (-1AA), then continue to AH2 (which is coincidentally the gate). If the door is in fact farther, please let me know so I can reduce movement accordingly.
    "Lions? What nonsense is this?", Brother Gregor says frowning, "Has some mad performer brought wild beasts into the city?" August looks alarmed and hurries after Rowan.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-06-21 at 03:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Griffon

The man on the roof shouts a command, and the first lion backs away from the pair of warriors. He then moves to the left and back, and then runs towards the edge of the roof and leaps over the road to the other side.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jump: (1d20+7)[10]
    Balance: (1d20+2)[20]

He lands on a loose tile and almost slips, but manages to stagger forward and secure his footing. Some tiles fall and smash to the ground with a loud crack.

The other lion charges past the temple and Rowan, slowing at the next street corner. Eglantine and the elf see it appear at the end of the road they were going to take.

Show
    S is the man who was invisible earlier, now also marked with the lights. A is August, who followed Rowan out. (The door to the temple is a little farther up, but Rowan can get there and to the gate with a double move.)
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-06-21 at 04:03 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

"You're not going anywhere," Aerin tells her foe, lunging after it.

Spoiler
    Show

Move and attack the lion. Regaining maneuvers. Attack: (1d20+8)[21] Critical confirmation: (1d20+9)[23]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[10]

10. - Top - End - #100

Griffon

"You're not going anywhere," Aerin tells her foe, lunging after it.

Spoiler
    Show

Move and attack the lion. Regaining maneuvers. Attack: [roll0] Critical confirmation: [roll1]
    This time Aerin strikes true and the lion disappears in a puff of smoke.

Spoiler
    Show
    L1 is gone.

11. - Top - End - #101

"Nope. Nope nope nope." Eglantine pushed the elf back behind the building and out of the radius of a charge.

12. - Top - End - #102

Griffon

"Nope. Nope nope nope." Eglantine pushed the elf back behind the building and out of the radius of a charge.
    Eglantine backs away to hide behind the building and starts casting a summoning spell. The elf follows her example drawing his sword, his hand shaking a little. With the first lion gone, Alexander turns around and runs to them, moving past the elf to look around the corner. "The other beast is coming this way!", he shouts to Aerin.

Rowan opens the gate and hurries towards the lion, figuring that whoever it's chasing will soon need help. "Wait! What are you doing?!", August shouts, running after him.

The lion roars and starts a dash down the alley, picking up speed as it nears the spot where it saw its prey.

Spoiler
    Show
    The lion is smart enough to time its approach a little.

The sound of footsteps comes from the roof and a new spell is cast. Three missiles of magical energy drop down to the street and fly towards the elf. However, just before they hit him in the back, the brooch holding his cloak flares and draws in the missiles, destroying them harmlessly. The elf jumps in surprise nonetheless.

Spoiler: Damage absorbed
    Show
    (1d4+1)[3]
    (1d4+1)[4]
    (1d4+1)[5]

Show
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-06-23 at 02:04 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

"Someone really wants you dead," Aerin says as she runs up to the elf. "You the prince of somewhere or what? Tell me something! And get under cover if you can!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move adjacent to the elf--still blocking anything that might approach him from the west.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-06-22 at 05:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104

Griffon

"Someone really wants you dead," Aerin says as she runs up to the elf. "You the prince of somewhere or what? Tell me something! And get under cover if you can!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move adjacent to the elf--still blocking anything that might approach him from the west.
    "No! I have no idea what this is about!", the elf replies, "My family has no recent quarrels with anyone, unless father has made an enemy I don't know about."

Show
    Oh! I just noticed the picture of the map has some white in it, that area means nothing, it's just the end of the map I had drawn at this time. Didn't mean to include that, oops. ^^' The road continues normally in that direction.

I'll put Alexander's action here too, as it is convenient. He moves to AR26.

Alexander steps forward, blocking the lion's path and swings his ranseur at it. The lion growls when the weapon hits its chest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+9)[15]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[10]

Rowan and Eglantine's turn.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-06-24 at 10:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Rowan opens the gate and hurries towards the lion, figuring that whoever it's chasing will soon need help. "Wait! What are you doing?!", August shouts, running after him.
    "Lights mean fighting!" Rowan shouts back as he runs.

Show

Double move action to what I believe is AR12.

16. - Top - End - #106

Griffon

"Lights mean fighting!" Rowan shouts back as he runs.

Show

Double move action to what I believe is AR12.
    August nods, though Rowan can't see it. But he can hear that the cleric continues to follow him.

Show
    He can actually come 1 square closer, to AR13.

I know Athedia has limited access to internet right now, but since it's been a while, I think it's best if I move things along. I hope this is ok.

I chose a giant fire beetle for the summon, as it a good fit for a fight. If you'd prefer another type, that can be changed.

Eglantine completes her summoning and giant beetle with shiny red stripes materialises on the other side of the lion and immediately tries to snap the beast with its strong jaws.

"Follow me!", she shouts to the elf and runs over the crossroads, planning to put some distance between them and the caster. The young noble is in no mood to argue and does what she says.

Spoiler: Beetle's attack
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage: (2d4)[4]

The lion throws its head around in annoyance as the bug bites its behind, but chooses to ignore the smaller threat. Instead it lunges towards Alexander, attempting to plow past him by force.

Spoiler: AoO and Overrun
    Show
    Rule detail explained, in case you're interested: The AoO from Alexander is actually triggered when the lion starts its movement, when it leaves a threatened square, due to his longer reach with a ranseur. There is no sense for him to delay his AoO of the round, as he can't make the one usually offered by an Overrun attempt because ranseur cannot be used against an adjacent foe. This means that even if his AoO hits, the lion can still proceed with the overrun.

Beetle's AoO: (1d20+1)[7]
    Damage: (2d4)[5]

Alexander's AoO:(1d20+9)[17]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[15]

Overrun:
    Lion: (1d20+5)[22] VS Alexander: (1d20+3)[10]

In case the lion fails, Alexander tries to knock it down:
    Lion: (1d20+9)[18] VS Alexander: (1d20+3)[6]

Alexander slashes a new deep cut to the lion's chest, but the summon is persistent in its advance and he fails to regain his balance quickly enough to meet it. The beast pushes him violently out of the way and the warrior hits the building and falls to the ground.

On the roof, the robed man begins casting a new spell.

Show
    Eglantine and elf are where a double move would take them. If Athedia wants, they can have run farther east with a Run action.
    B is the Beetle summoned by Eglantine, A is August, S is the enemy caster.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-06-28 at 01:42 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

"That's it, run from me, coward!" Aerin lunges after the lion. "Get around the corner and under cover!"

Spoiler
    Show

Charge the lion: (1d20+10)[29] Critical confirmation: (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage: (2d6+4)[12] Critical damage: (2d6+4)[10]
    Effective AC against lion 17.

18. - Top - End - #108

Griffon

"That's it, run from me, coward!" Aerin lunges after the lion. "Get around the corner and under cover!"

Spoiler
    Show

Charge the lion: [roll0] Critical confirmation: [roll1]
    Effective AC against lion 17.
    Aerin deals a powerful blow that banishes the lion.

19. - Top - End - #109

Eglantine dashed down the side alley looking for a ladder. If she could find one she could bring it back so that half orc lady could get to the caster. She looked at a locked door as she passed, that would be a good place to hide the elf.

20. - Top - End - #110

Griffon

Eglantine runs into the small alley with the elf still following. Spotting the ladder, she hurries to grab it. The elf looks at her with a slightly curious expression, forgetting for a moment to be afraid.

Show
    The ladder weights about 60 lbs and two hands are required to carry it due to not being an easy item to maneuver.

Axe has not posted yet, but I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that Rowan will close the remaining distance. As always, please let me know if you think I make too hasty decisions regarding your characters.

Rowan runs towards the people at the crossroads. On his way he passes a big ferocious looking beetle, but it doesn't appear hostile towards him. The two people who fought the lion have both deep claw wounds to show from the encounter, but don't seem likely to fall down and die just yet. The half-orc looks dangerous in her anger, and even the man who was knocked down is able to stand up on his own and collect his weapon. They look vaguely familiar to Rowan.

On the roof the mage finishes his spell and shiny giant bee appears to hover over the rooftop. The summoner shouts something and the creature darts forwards in the direction where Eglantine and the elf went. The man casts a new spell right after, this one shorter than the previous, and then sprints over the roof with great speed, clearly about to make another leap from one roof to another.

Spoiler: OOC & Map
    Show
    He'll have to wait for the next round to actually make the jump, but you can clearly see what he's up to.

Party's turn.

S is the caster, G the giant bee, B the beetle Eglantine summoned and Au is August the cleric. Roofs are roughly 30 ft. high, btw.

Last edited by CWater; 2016-06-29 at 02:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Rowan looks at Aerin and Alexander, or more specifically at the bobbling lights dancing around their heads . "Did you start this? Enter the tournament if you need to hit things." He walked to the corner and looked each way carefully. "And no more lions!"

Spoiler
    Show

Partial move action to AS27.

22. - Top - End - #112

"This is an attempted assassination, you idiot, not a game," Aerin snaps. "If you want it stopped, kill that guy on the rooftop. Or grab. 'Apprehend.'" She turns as Eglantine approaches with the ladder. "You--all right. Make sure the target's safe."

23. - Top - End - #113

Griffon

Just that moment, Rowan sees his sister run to the street from a nearby alley, her vest tattered and bloody, and carrying a tall ladder. Upon seeing him Eglantine shouts, "Rowan! Get over here and heal me this instant!"

Spoiler
    Show
    As per Athedia's instructions.
    Her plan is to grab the ladder and bring it out to Kish then pick the locks on a door so the elf guy can hide. Then she will probably follow Kish up the ladder. This changes if Rowan arrives, in which case Eglantine will ask/order him to heal her and then once healed will go up the ladder.

Aerin runs towards her, ready to climb up, Alexander follows her and goes to guard the elf that had kept following Eglantine. "That mage on the roof seeks to kill this boy!"

Spoiler
    Show
    The elf is in total defense.

The giant bee hovering over their heads flies over the building then decends near the elf and tries to sting him, but misses.
    Show
    Sting: (1d20+2)[17]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]
    If hits, Fort save against Poison (1d20+3)[19].

The mage jumps over the street, landing more graciously this time. With great speed he runs across the roof.

Spoiler: Map, etc.
    Show
    I assumed (again) that Rowan would follow the others, getting where he is on the map means he took a double move. Axe, if you would have liked him to do something else, please let me know, that can be changed.

Aerin is next to the ladder at the start of this turn. I couldn't find rules for climbing a ladder (many other things were mentioned however), but I'll rule that you can move up at half your land speed against DC 0 (so unless one is very clumsy, no need to roll). If you move at full speed, the DC is 5. (Accelerated Climbing rule.) Distance to the roof is 30 ft.

On the map, S is caster, G the giant bee hovering 5 ft. above ground, B is the beetle Eggie summoned and Au is August.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-07-04 at 12:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Aerin returns her sword to its sheath and climbs up the ladder as fast as she can.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check: (1d20+2)[12]
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-07-04 at 12:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"This is an attempted assassination, you idiot, not a game," Aerin snaps. "If you want it stopped, kill that guy on the rooftop. Or grab. 'Apprehend.'" She turns as Eglantine approaches with the ladder. "You--all right. Make sure the target's safe."
    "Oh," Rowan says quietly, nodding. "That's not good. "

Just that moment, Rowan sees his sister run to the street from a nearby alley, her vest tattered and bloody, and carrying a tall ladder. Upon seeing him Eglantine shouts, "Rowan! Get over here and heal me this instant!"
    Rowan blinks as he notices his sister, then follows her instructions. "Eggy? What did you do?"

Show

Rowan is moving to be adjacent to Eggy, and casts Cure Light Wounds.
    CLW: (1d8+9)[16]

Math if there are questions because I am bad at it at the best of times.

Spoiler: Math
    Show

+4 from level
    +2 hp/spell level from a feat
    +3 cha bonus
    =+9

26. - Top - End - #116

Eglantine took a deep breath as her ribs knit back together. "I jumped in front of a lion. You know. FOR FUN." She followed Aerin up the ladder as fast as she could chasing after the caster.

Spoiler: Movement + Rolls
    Show
    Don't exactly know how much movement actions would take.
    Climb Check: (1d20+5)[17]

27. - Top - End - #117

"Why do you want him dead?" Aerin demands as she moves to corner the strange spellcaster.

Can he make a standing jump to the other side? It'll cost him when he tries, anyway.

28. - Top - End - #118

Griffon

August continues to follow Rowan. "You know her?", he nods after Eglantine.

Not ten feet of them, the summoned bee is still trying to get to the elf. "Get behind that building!", Alexander shouts to him and after the elf has retreated as instructed he attacks the giant bee, but takes a misstep and the swing goes wide.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage: (2d4+7)[11]

The bee flies up, over Alexander, and charges at the elf, but he manages to duck under the sting.

Show
    Sting: (1d20+4)[9]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]
    If hits, Fort save against Poison: (1d20+3)[14]

"Why do you want him dead?" Aerin demands as she moves to corner the strange spellcaster.

Can he make a standing jump to the other side? It'll cost him when he tries, anyway.
    The mage turns around startled when Aerin and Eglantine suddenly climb up. He is wearing a hooded robe, but from this distance they can tell he is a young half-elf. He starts to cast a new spell, being careful not to give an opening to attack, but he is too hasty and fumbles the spell.

Spoiler: Defensive Casting
    Show
    Concentration: (1d20+4)[14]

Panicking he turns around and jumps over the small alley and runs across the next roof with great speed.

Show
    This is assuming the AoOs don't knock the summoner unconscious.

Lad is where the ladder stands, S is the summoner, G the giant bee and Au is August.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-07-07 at 05:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Griffon

The mage just barely avoids Aerin's sword, but not Eglantine's axe, which leaves a cut on his back. The man lands on the other side and runs, but Aerin chases after him.

Spoiler
    Show
    He moves faster than Aerin, so she needs a double move to keep up. I can't make changes to the map right now, but Aerin is in a square adjacent to the mage (S on the map).

Eglantine and Rowan still have a turn.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Eglantine took a deep breath as her ribs knit back together. "I jumped in front of a lion. You know. FOR FUN." She followed Aerin up the ladder as fast as she could chasing after the caster.

Spoiler: Movement + Rolls
    Show
    Don't exactly know how much movement actions would take.
    Climb Check: (2d8+11)[21]
    "You've done worse," Rowan mutters under his breath as Eggy climbs the ladder.

He concentrates for a moment then steps past the giant bee without a second glance. He reaches out to shake the elf's hand, releasing a surge of healing energy as he does so. "Hello, don't die."

Show

Move action: to BI28.

Immediate action: activate armband of elusive action. This means one attack of opportunity this round against Rowan will be automatically avoided. Charges: 0/1.

Standard action: Cast Cure Moderate Wounds on the elf, for a total of (2d8+11)[21] HP. I think the elf technically gets a will save if he really wants to.