New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Welcome To The Ninth World - Numenera IC

"Well, that was close. What would you have done with that scarf if the good captain had drawn his sword? I'm half-tempted to see for myself."

Amrak slides in to introduce himself to Tulem.

"I'm Amrak, a scholar and problem-solver, as late of Thriest. Boldness is a trait most frequently found in the powerful and the foolish. Tell me, If I offered you my fealty for a song?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Banned

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Tulem." He replied. He wrapped his scarf about his neck once again. "Boldness is in every one of us, Amrak. The problem is the feeling is uncomfortable for most. I would call myself neither bold nor foolish. Just a man who had nothing to hide from the likes of him." He ran a hand through his hair. "If anything I would call myself defender of the innocent."

"You say you are a scholar? What sorts of fields do you study? I've recently become more inclined to gain knowledge myself." He reached out to shake Amrak's hand. "This whole business has left me a bit hungry. Care to join me for a meal, and hopefully, good conversation? It'd do wonders to take my mind off being called a petty thief.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    "Best keep clear if the guards, they can get our of hand."
    "If the guards push their luck, they'll have to answer to me. I don't turn a blind eye to anyone."

A policy that had caused considerable difficulty in the past. Rin had more than a few wanted posters of her own out there.

"Anyway, it sounds like you two know the lay of the land. Is it all right if I stick around you for a while, until I've got a feel for the city? I'm more than willing to pull my weight in exchange. I get a guide, and you get a bodyguard. Sound fair?"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Steel laughed and nodded. He didn't need a body guard but the idea was amusing. "Yes Rin you may tag along if you wish. I don't require a bodyguard but thanks for the offer." He gnaws his food leaving a shin on the table. The coin made the world keep moving and he needed more of it. Maybe a task in the festivities could fetch him a pretty shin or two, maybe a odd little trinket like the gift his father gave him to remind him he was property.

"Sarnik I believe we both may be in the same boat, works hard to find here without working with gangers. You know anyone needing to hire a warrior or two?" He thumbed through the few shin he had left. Not much but it would last a few days. "Of course we will help Rin find appropriate clothing for the climate first." The glaive pushed the basket having his fill as he shoves the papers in his bag. "If not maybe a game or two in the festivities can fetch us a few shins."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Nien watches the event unravel from the shadows and goes into a short fit of rage when no one got hurt or arrested "Stupid guards, stupid inn, stupid guy." yet shedid learn to things from this mess: Firstly, the guards are drunk and can be deceived easily. Secondly, she has a yellow eyed admirer, Nien thinks for a short while then she finds a kid alone and whispers to him "Hey, kido, could you help a damsel in distress? Inside the Golden gate inn there is a lady with yellow eyes, could you please lead her outside? It would mean the world to me." as she speaks to him she gets even closer to him, raising the inner part of her eyebrows.

OOC:
    I'm not sure if it counts for a pleasant or a positive social interaction, in which Nien is trained.
    (1d20)[2]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

"Make that three warriors. If you don't want a bodyguard, then how about an extra teammate who works for free?"

A charitable gesture for two poor souls in need. Though in her eagerness to help out, Rin had forgotten that she was just as poor as they were. Even buying that new outfit was going to hurt. But such petty concerns could wait. Enjoy the moment!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

"That sounds fair Rin," Sirnak replied. He looked at Steel and thought momentarily, "I'd claim otherwise but finding work's been hard lately as well for me. I was going to go to the campus today and see if anyone had any work there, but I don't have any leads beyond that."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm sure something will come up. Those in need will draw us towards them; Just as the three of us did to each other."

So said the Path of the Flowing River. Its teachings had yet to lead Rin astray: Or at least, so she believed. There was a very long list of people who would disagree with her on that point.

9. - Top - End - #69

EvilClericGuy

"We could try that or we could check the bounty board. I enjoy a good hunt of villiany." Steel grinned and tried to remember if he had seen any good bounties as of late. With the festivities and merchants shouting to sell their trinkets it made it hard to recall.

"I don't know what the campus requires of its workers." He had heard there may be a cyphersmith or two present, possibly a Aeon Priest. That thought made his face twitch.

Spoiler: occ
    Show

Roll to remember or spot bounties. If it's considered perception I am hindered.
    (1d20)[1]

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

To Tulem he responds as they walk, "I am glad to Steve that you are no fool. Men of reason, compassion and power are something that we desperately need. Something is eating away at the people of this city and the entire steadfast. It's my quest to save them."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Trying to save the people of this city? I admire your zeal, but your cause is too great for a single man." Tulem stopped them in front a vendor selling something that looked doughy, yet smelled savory. He held up two fingers to the merchant and gave a smile before returning to the conversation. "I've been in this place for three years, and very little has changed. Perhaps it would be more effective if the two of us tried together?"

Tulem knew that he could make some difference by teaching at the shura. He just couldn't risk the exposure of it. He hoped that Amrak would be another friend to both him and Thriest. For all the time he's been here, Tulem felt a connection to this place. It had become his home now that he had no place in Mulen. Actually, he had no place in Iscobal at all. "No longer a child, yet I still want to protect the world." He thought to himself.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Florent uses the distraction provided by Amrak to slip out the back. Its not that he's avoiding him, its just that he wants no part in the Disciple of Saturno's plans. Though, that thief was interesting. Partnering with her might be a good way to get some easy shins... Well, he'll keep that thought to himself for now.

He snags a mutant bounty poster off the wall as he passes it, and reads the sheet as he walks among the festival goers. Its not a good line of work, but you've got to get paid somehow.
    "Is mise tusa... Is tusa mise... Ón bhfarraige d'anam, tháinig mé..."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    A scientist never needs a reason to set something on fire.
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.

13. - Top - End - #73

Lizardfolk

Milo turns the silver crystal shin over in his hands a few times. He thinks for a moment that spending his last shin on a carnival game is really stupid. But he sighs and hands over the shin to man.
    "Might as well live a little"
    He walks over to the sword and stands ready.
    The carnival worker pulls out some sort of machine from his back pocket. "Ok the Rules are simple. Pull the sword out before the mutants get to ya or YOU LOSE! Ready Set GO!"
    He presses a button and a small hologram showing numbers pops up from the machine.
    Milo puts both hands around the handle and starts pulling with all his might.
    Spoiler
    Show

I already rolled in the OOC
    Round 1
    (1d20)[10]
    Round 2
    (1d20)[16]
    Round 3: If I havn't pulled it out by this round I use effort to make the task easier.
    (1d20)[12]

Last edited by Sleepy Shade; 2016-03-19 at 06:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

The commotion settled, the staff of the Golden Gate reassures the patrons that all is well. The music resumes and just like that, it is as if it never happened. Grumbles of being denied a good fight to watch can be heard amongst some of the patrons. The people of Thriest, of Malevich in general, never missed out on a good fight. War was ingrained into their culture, after all. It was not hard to notice that Bertrand himself was not from Thriest originally, or Malevich for that matter.

Rin - Steel - Sirnak
    The three went on their merry way, looking to properly clothe the ill-prepared Rin and find them some work. Finding a clothing vendor selling warm pants for 1 shin was easy enough. There were plenty of choices to be had, Rin would not be disappointed.

Steel suddenly remembers one of the work orders posted by the guard barracks. From Rashik himself, if he remembers correctly, to clear our some pests at the new construction site. At the time, he thought he was ill-suited to such a task. But he did remember the pay was very good with promises of a potential bonus. Steel's memory is fuzzy on it. He does remember that to take the job, he should report to the guard post closest to the newly constructed shura.

Upon revealing this information, Sirnak knows exactly where to report to if they choose to take the pest control job.

Milo
    The timer began and bystanders started cheering! Milo pulled with all his might, straining and struggling. His grip failed him suddenly and his arms flew up in the air as he took a few steps back to keep his balance. He could hear the chuckles of more than one person watching him. With good time left on the clock, Milo steps back up and grips the sword again, ready to pull with all he had. The badly dressed mutant actors were closing in slowly, making obscene noises and making their desire for human flesh known.

This time, Milo had a better grip and pulled hard. He strained and struggled again, the internal workings of his cyborg body began to whir and click. He heard a low-pitched whine in his head as the servos in his joints struggled to meet his demand for strength. Suddenly, and without any warning, the sword came free! Milo fell backwards onto his rear end, the crowd let out a mighty cheer! The faux-mutants looked on in confusion, two of them started to back away slowly.

The announcer stuttered a few unintelligible syllables before a man near Milo pointed and yelled, "HEY! What kind of scam is this!?" It was then; Milo realized that he hadn't really pulled the sword out at all. Instead, he held the visible portion of the sword with some of the stone itself at the end where it met with the larger stone. Upon inspection, it seems half a sword had been lodged into this concrete block, painted and sculpted to look like a boulder. The crowd was in uproar, citizens started to approach the man demanding their money back. More than a few started shoving the man before he hit the ground, attempting to crawl away from mob justice.

The guards should be here soon, one would think. Some have started looting the prize bin, it being unguarded, while others attempted to pry open the strongbox with the ill-earned shins inside.

Nien
    The child looks up at you with a vacant stare, seemingly undecided on how to react to this stranger's request. And so, the child did what most children do and delivered a swift kick to Nien's shin. The only explanation for how badly this hurt, is that the child's foot is an ancient artifact delivered by an angry god, designed to cause unbearable pain for absolutely no reason. The child runs off giggling uncontrollably.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Damn that is gonna be tender, gonna leave a bruise too.

Florent
    The mutant bounties paid good, they came from the hunters that made their camps outside the walls. Councellor Rashik had made it very clear when the hunters first arrived that they would not be allowed to hunt within the city. He feared that the over-zealous mutant-hunters would cause anarchy in his streets, dragging people off or killing them in broad daylight. Rashik has been praised and criticized for his decision. It seems the city is divided on the "mutant issue" presented to them by these hunters.

For the most up-to-date jobs, it was easy to walk into a hunter camp and simply ask. There was an outstanding bounty on ALL mutants, dead or alive. Sometimes, there were special cases that paid more.

Akram - Tulem
    This city was dying, even among the festivities this was apparent. Its people were powerless in the face of insurmountable adversity. The corruption, crime, gangs, and worse prey upon the every-day people of Thriest. Some have had to resort to the same underhanded work or tactics that saw them into their current impoverished state. It became harder and harder to tell who was part of the problem, and who was trying to survive. While King's promenade was well-guarded, the other lower districts bore signs of gang-warfare. Smugglers had to put little effort into their trade at the docks, as the officials were easily scared or bought.

These righteous two had a lot of work to do if they wanted to clean up the city. The question was, how to start?
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-03-23 at 07:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

[b]"Yes, it will, friend, Tulem. That's why I'm trying to get an audience with our benefactor, the counselor."[/color] Akram looks into the distance, "Change requires knowledge, virtue and power. Men such as Captain Bertrand are part of the problem. They use their might to keep the people ignorant and in fear. I foresee a world of pure light, where knowledge is flows freely from founts of wisdom and men and women need not fear ill health and injury.

"Should we help sponsor schools and oust the establishment of oppression, from police, criminals and the odd monster, people will return here to seek guidance from the enlightened. Now, in the meantime, I'm simply hoping to be useful to as many people as possible in the hopes of inspiring others."

16. - Top - End - #76

Lizardfolk

Looking down at the sword and the ensuing chaos around him Milo simply muttered "Crap"
    From the look of it the now mob of people were going to ransack the game and kill the man. Why can't things just be simple.
    Well either way he wasn't about to let the mob kill the man or loot all those shins. The prize bin would be gone soon ransacked by the mob Milo knew their was no way he could save everything.
    Deciding on a bold plan he runs towards the case full of shins he need a way to get their attention and get them to calm down for a few seconds. Just until the guards got there.
    Spoiler
    Show

This is Milo's plan: He is going to snatch the Shin case from the group that's trying to loot it and sprint over to the man that was pulling the scam. He is then try and get the Mobs attention. He is going to say" You want justice so much wait for the guards. I won't let this man escape and you'll get your money back but just wait for a bit." Then He looks over to the scam artist "Don't You move a muscle got it"
    My rolls
    Roll to sprint over to the case and grab it
    (1d20)[3]
    Roll in case I have to pull it from someones grasp (using Effort)
    (1d20)[9]
    Roll to get over to the man before the mob kills him
    (1d20)[1]
    Roll to try and convince the mob not to kill him out right and wait for the guards.(using Effort)
    (1d20)[5]
    A roll to make sure he doesn't escape while I'm talking.(using Effort)
    (1d20)[1]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Milo
    Scam or not, the man didn't deserve to die for it. He would have to be quick and precise for this to end well. Milo sprung into action, running toward the strongbox. Many people fought over the large and heavy box; Milo took a hold of it himself, but unfortunately for him this was all it needed to be pried open, hundreds of shins poured onto the ground. People scrambled on their hands and knees to grab as many as they can, some resorting to throwing kicks and punches to gather more.

The shins were lost, but the man was still in danger. Milo turned around only to see the man, bloody and broken, being stomped on by countless angry citizens of Thriest. His legs bent at unnatural angles, obviously broken. Milo attempted to reason with the mob, "You want justice so-" nobody was listening... More people shoved past Milo to grab some of the scattered shins.

At the very least, maybe Milo can save the man. Originally thinking he'd prevent his escape, he now attempted his rescue. The mob had him surrounded but Milo pushed through them. One man yelled, "Hey! It's the one who revealed this fraud! Let him get a few hits in!" The crowd roared in approval.

Milo now stands over the con-artist. His legs are broken, a few of his fingers too. Blood pours from his mouth onto the ground with some of his teeth, his left eye is already swollen shut. He cries pathetically, whimpering from what can only be horrific pain. He looks up at you, tears mixing with blood, terror in his eyes. He will not survive this without immediate medical attention.

Show
    Milo has the spotlight, I do not envy you.
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-03-19 at 10:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Lizardfolk

Milo just looks at the man not really understanding how a simple game turned into this. Now this mans life was in his hands no deserved to die for something like this. "Crap.."
    He had only one shot to make it out of here alive with this guy.
    "Wow you all must be really proud of yourselves" He mutters under his breath. Milo simply draws his weapon and looks to the crowd "I know your angry but I'd hate for you all to be labeled murders or is the guard that lenient. In fact they shouldn't they be here quite soon."
    "Let me take care of him you lot get out of here. Besides hes not going anywhere."

Either the crowd would listen and back off or he would be responsible for a mans death for no reason other than pure bad luck. Crap why can't things ever be simple he thought.
    Spoiler
    Show

By the way what pools did I use for the effort?
    Roll to disperse the croud. I'm trained in negotiations and I'm using effort on this.
    (1d20)[14]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Milo
    The crowd's bluster dies down, a few lingering protests calling for his death litter the crowd. Mostly, their faces are filled with shame. A break in the crowd forms as three armed and armored guardsmen approach the scene. They question a few of the locals, and after getting the story straight they allow the man to be taken away by his fellow cons. He screams, gargling his own blood as he is taken away. "Well, looks like justice was served before we even got here!" One of the guards jests. They are completely uninterested in punishing anybody for this heinous act and go about their patrol, "It's bad enough the king wants to bleed us dry, not we got outsiders pulling cons on us, during our own festival to boot!"

The looting continues until there is nothing left of the stand where the game once took place, only the boulder remain along with the broken sword at Milo's feet.

Show
    Gain 1XP for my instrusion
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-03-19 at 10:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Lizardfolk

Milo is just sitting on a box by the broken sword and stone. Looking up at the snow falling. He remembers his city his home there the guards would have taken the man into custody and treated his wounds at the very least. He missed his home his father in the winter would plan for the spring trips and he would go with the other guards and exchange stories. He always thought those blue houses covered in snow seemed redundant as if emphasizing how cold it was.
    No point in beating himself up for bad luck and no point pining for the good old days his stomach was rumbling and if he didn't get some food soon he was going to be reduced to eating trail rations.
    Getting up he looked around there were probably a shin or two still buried in the snow or behind some piece of junk. There was no way every shin was picked up right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Search roll
    Skill: Trained in all tasks involving remembering or memorising things you experience directly.
    I'm trying to remember if their was any place some shins might have dropped behind that people wouldn't have grabbed in the struggle like behind a barrel.
    Also are their any prizes left in the prize cart or was that cleaned out?
    (1d20)[12]

21. - Top - End - #81

Sirnak nodded as he heard Rin and said "Things usually do work out, true." before replying to Steel "Not campus work. Work from the campus. Someone can always be found who needs something or other done. Priests and their ilk especially."

""But if the boards have work, they have work."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I thought it best to wait for the person with knowledge of the job to post before I assumed things.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Banned

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Well, we've a few cboices. We can try to get an audience, though today may not be good. It is a festival sfter all, and he'll be busy. We could volunteer our time at a school. Or, we could always start st the very bottom. Help the common folk person by person. I'll let you decide what we do for now."

Tulem paid for their food and started eating. He just now realized he hadn't eaten at all since breakfast yesterday. The passion of his newfound friend had relit his own desire to help everyone. Given that he had a few skills, he would let Amrak choose what they do. He would find a way to prove useful.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XIII View Post
    Rin - Steel - Sirnak
    The three went on their merry way, looking to properly clothe the ill-prepared Rin and find them some work. Finding a clothing vendor selling warm pants for 1 shin was easy enough. There were plenty of choices to be had, Rin would not be disappointed.
    Rin chose a pair of white pants that matched her skirt, and could be worn beneath it. She also bought a white jacket to go over her blouse. Rin liked white. She ducked into a convenient changing area, and emerged much more suitably attired. On impulse, she gave her new teammates a couple of twirls. Wasn't that what you were supposed to do at moments like this?

"Much better! Right, let's be off!"

24. - Top - End - #84

EvilClericGuy

"To the guard post it is, I remember something about pest control. It's dirty work but the pay might as well be worth it." He focuses on the city and works to lead the way after helping Rin get proper clothes. "You look much better now that your flesh isn't turning blue."

With short time Steel works to lead his companions to the guard post. Surely this will be worth something in the end. A few shin would make sure he was fed for a few more days.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Tulem, what if we could work at this from the top middle and bottom, all at once? A thought occurs to me: the guard oppress the people, which prevents them from acting in their own behalf. Suppose we were to expose corruption from within, or through some other means draw them into displeasure with the elite? Our actions would likely bring us into contact with the Counselor, to whom we could propose a new sort of guard.

"Imagine a system where each household watches over itself and the rest of the neighborhood, and in turn enjoys protection from its neighbors? Sections of the city set up with their own magistrates for minor infractions. It would reduce the workload of the higher-ups, freeing them to work on other beneficial pursuits. The common folk would feel sense of ownership in their lives and community.

"Our first step should be a surgical strike. We must remove the city guard from power."

Throughout his speech it's obvious that the wheels in Amrak's mind are turning. His goal is now fixed firmly in mind. He just needs a catalyst...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Florent pauses at the ruins of a wrecked stand where a man scrabbles in the snow searching for something. He watches silently for a minute, then folds up his poster and approaches the man. "You lose something important there? Need help finding it?"
    "Is mise tusa... Is tusa mise... Ón bhfarraige d'anam, tháinig mé..."
    お前 が 信じる, お前 を 信じろ
    A scientist never needs a reason to set something on fire.
    The only thing that exists is the way people relate, interact and affect each other, and how that expands throughout the world. There should never be an end to a tale.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    "To the guard post it is, I remember something about pest control. It's dirty work but the pay might as well be worth it." He focuses on the city and works to lead the way after helping Rin get proper clothes. "You look much better now that your flesh isn't turning blue."

With short time Steel works to lead his companions to the guard post. Surely this will be worth something in the end. A few shin would make sure he was fed for a few more days.
    "Well, at least it would have matched my hair and eyes!"

Rin set off fully equipped and ready for action: Or so she thought. It only took a few steps through the snow to tell her what she'd forgotten: Shoes! Her feet still had nothing but a pair of sandals to protect them. She could already feel them starting to go numb again. Ah well, she'd just have to grin and bear it. Rin didn't want to be a nuisance. She couldn't keep forcing these kind people to stop and deal with her petty worries.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Amrak, I need you to think about this for a second. Dismantling the guards without a system in place, without a direct order from the Counselor, and without the acceptance of the people... It'd result in anarchy and, more than likely, our deaths." He shook his head and placed his arm around Amrak's shoulder. He began walking, leading Amrak, to nowhere in particular. He just needed to pace.

"Most people can't even protect themselves from thieves and thugs. We can't expect them to also protect their neighbors. I think our biggest problem is first slicing off the hands of crime that have a death grip on this town." He looked up towards Counselor. "I would think that even one big win for the people could get us a face to face. Especially if it worked towards the Counselor's own current goals."

He scanned through the crowd, taking in the sight of these people. Most were good folk. Even some of the bad were just trying to survive. "Gaining his favor would allow us to slowly try to convince him for a regime change in the guard. Besides, if we root out those who piddle their days away getting drunk and accepting bribes... What are we left with, Amrak? Good people who care about the well-being of others. Like us, they desire and have a duty to the people. People sleep better when they feel they are being protected. After everything that these poor people have been through we cannot expect them to trust their neighbors for quite some time."

29. - Top - End - #89

Lizardfolk

Milo continues looking for a moment before sighing and standing up whipping his hands on his pants. He turns to address the man.
    "It's complicated. I was looking to see if their was anything left after that riot. A shin or two that escaped but it looks like I've found all I'm going to find."
    Seeing the surprised and slightly confused look of the man he decided to explain.
    "Basically A con artist decided to open up a stall. One of those strength testers you know pulling a sword from the stone." Milo gestures to the broken rock and sword. "He decided to stick a broken blade in a block of concrete. Since nobody usually can remove something like that he thought he was in the clear. But "someone" finally did pull it out and the crowd wasn't happy. Shins went everywhere and the con artist in the end almost died from a mob but his friends dragged him away. I really wasn't all that angry at him but it seemed like everything just kept going from bad to worst.
    Milo looks down kicks a bit of snow and asks "Hey are you going somewhere to eat I'm really hungry."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

"That's brilliant, Tulen," Amrak continues, slightly more animated than before, "We ought to take down driving force of crime. It's clear that the brutish guards have no interest in doing so. They must be in league with the most powerful offenders.

"You're right that the people need training and infrastructure. I believe we can give them the best chance if they start with a clean slate. Eliminate the syndicates and prove complicity with the guards, and the people will only have to deal with smaller issues at first. Do you have any idea as to where we can start?"