New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

*head desk*

I go from rank 37 to rank 35 in two straight matches because a deck that I have shaved down to 18 lands because I KEEP DRAWING TOO MANY LANDS...DRAWS too many lands twice in a row.

How is this the problem instead of the opposite.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Not entirely sure what you mean by rank, but variance happens, and "too many lands" is very relative. 4 lands is ideal in Jund, but wayyy too many in burn.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    Not entirely sure what you mean by rank, but variance happens, and "too many lands" is very relative. 4 lands is ideal in Jund, but wayyy too many in burn.
    Too many lands as in

"I have 18 lands and 42 Non Lands I draw 10 of those lands, and 99% of my deck is 4 CC or less"

and by Rank I mean Ranked play in magic duels it has ranked play that goes based off seasons that change when the new set comes out.

Edit : I also really wish they would fix the stupid bug that causes you to pass phase when you have instants you can play but nothing else. it screws my line of play so many times.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2016-05-30 at 08:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    *head desk*

I go from rank 37 to rank 35 in two straight matches because a deck that I have shaved down to 18 lands because I KEEP DRAWING TOO MANY LANDS...DRAWS too many lands twice in a row.

How is this the problem instead of the opposite.
    Because 2 games is not a valid sample set.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Because 2 games is not a valid sample set.
    Too many lands is by far my largest loss cause, I am just amazed that I keep drawing too many..and rarely see too little with 18/60

6. - Top - End - #396
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, just 4-0'd a 24-man local Modern tournament with this updated list.

This was probably a fluke, given that my opponents were running mono-red control, RBW spell burn, Naya burn, and Burning Zoo in order of first to last round, and I definitely respected these decks in the sideboard. (I expected to see a fair bit of burn at the tournament, but not that much. Feed the Clan was clutch several times yesterday.) Regrettably, boarding for those involves taking out the combo pieces of the deck; I tend to board out Looting, Echoing Truth, Temur Ascendancies, and Cream of the Crops for these matchup. (Incidentally proving that the deck can win without the pieces, I guess, but it gives relatively little information about how the deck plays across the board.)

Regardless, I think a few lurkers have tried the list out, and if anyone's still playing it I wanted to say one thing:

Cream of the Crop is what the deck was missing. It smooths out draws to the point where you can actually, effectively dig into missing pieces; it comes down turn 2 so that you can play a turn 3 fattie and still get advantage; it means that Temur Ascendancy won't stall out; and finally, it still generates meaningful advantage off a 3/4 Goyf, so you don't have to feel guilty about playing that as an early blocker rather than holding onto it as ascendancy gas later on. I'm testing it on 2, and very pleased with the results; testing with 3 or 4 will occur after the last two ship.

(I'm happy to share play tips with anyone who wants to try out the list on Cockatrice, but I'd hate to type everything out if no one is interested.)
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

I might be wrong but I think DMofDarkness posted something like that some time ago.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    I might be wrong but I think DMofDarkness posted something like that some time ago.
    Do check the first line of my signature. Same person, different username, far more experience with the deck at present.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder if I could get an Eternal Masters set constructed game going at my LGS? I don't want to rely on drafting to play five colour Hondens.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Edit : I also really wish they would fix the stupid bug that causes you to pass phase when you have instants you can play but nothing else. it screws my line of play so many times.
    Yeah, there are some real issues. Try using Jace's minus ability with no sorcery speed plays in your hand or battlefield targeting a sorcery in your yard. Congrats, you've just wasted your turn AND dealt three damage to your planeswalker.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Do check the first line of my signature. Same person, different username, far more experience with the deck at present.
    Oh, that explains so much. Why did you change your name if I may ask?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #402

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Oh, that explains so much. Why did you change your name if I may ask?
    One big factor was awkwardness as a player in forum roleplaying games when people occasionally refer to me as 'DM'. Couple that with the fact that it was a username I thought was cool when I was 13 before realizing that it was unwieldy and adding 'dark' doesn't make a name cool, and that the name implies a killer DM mentality that I've eased back on a bit over the years, and it just started feeling an old mask that I outgrew years ago. One day simply I wanted to stop dealing with the little annoyances of the name, and I lodged a name change request. Not too much to it, really.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Decided to finally make Shape Anew in Modern for funsies. How many Blightsteel Colossi should I have available to Shape Anew into?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Yeah, there are some real issues. Try using Jace's minus ability with no sorcery speed plays in your hand or battlefield targeting a sorcery in your yard. Congrats, you've just wasted your turn AND dealt three damage to your planeswalker.
    Oh you have NO idea, I have a Jace in real life so I very often use him so I completely forget that is a bug in Magic Duels because half of my Jace lines of play involve that -3

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anybody have a method, in Pauper, of changing color words on my own cards? I'm looking at a WUB construction and everything I know/can search is Unc+.

Edit: other than the Balduvian Shaman, I really don't want to mess around with cumulative upkeep!
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2016-06-05 at 08:40 PM.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Does anybody have a method, in Pauper, of changing color words on my own cards? I'm looking at a WUB construction and everything I know/can search is Unc+.

Edit: other than the Balduvian Shaman, I really don't want to mess around with cumulative upkeep!
    Changing colors is not a Common effect. It has very few applications in Limited environments, it causes headaches in people unfamiliar with the rules when interactions get wonky, it leaves no markers on permanents causing gameplay confusion, and colors-matters effects are generally unfun and have been greatly eased up on over time.

In short? No, you're not getting color change effects on common, save one obscure, convoluted, and generally regrettable Ice Age common.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    generally regrettable Ice Age common.
    A sad truth, since the set was so solid! I think really saved the game after FE tanked so badly.

Hm, drat. Back to the drawing board then.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

On the comment on Relentless Rats: Format deck construction rules trumps card rules. You can't play any Relentless Rats in Standard because the format rules say that it is not a legal card, even though Relentless Rats clearly says you may put any number of Relentless Rats into your deck.

I was still wrong apparently, though, because as it turns out the Commander rules specifically list exceptions, so no one can complain about your Relentless Rats or Shadowborn Apostle deck in Commander, not that they were going to anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I wonder if I could get an Eternal Masters set constructed game going at my LGS? I don't want to rely on drafting to play five colour Hondens.
    In my experience, you really don't need them all, and in fact 3 is probably enough. Certainly the best two are White and Black since they make you unable to die and shift your opponent to topdeck mode. Drafting them usually isn't too hard if you are willing to put in the effort (though drafting Eternal Masters is certainly hard...)

Given that Eternal Masters set constructed is close to Legacy Lite, this doesn't sound like a format where you're going to get to play very many Hondens to very much effect anyways, but I might be wrong.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    In my experience, you really don't need them all, and in fact 3 is probably enough. Certainly the best two are White and Black since they make you unable to die and shift your opponent to topdeck mode. Drafting them usually isn't too hard if you are willing to put in the effort (though drafting Eternal Masters is certainly hard...)

Given that Eternal Masters set constructed is close to Legacy Lite, this doesn't sound like a format where you're going to get to play very many Hondens to very much effect anyways, but I might be wrong.
    I respectfully disagree with this. While Eternal Masters certainly has some crazy stuff in it (like charbeltcher, natural order, jace....) each player is likely to have 2-4 really crazy things at most, so you do still have to build a draft deck. Looking at the list, Green/White has several creatures that benefit from having enchantments, so I bet you can build a descent draft/sealed deck that makes good use of the Honden. In a limited environment all of them are playable, but the Green one is (usually) the best and the White one is (usually) the worst. I'll explain my analysis of the Honden in the spoiler.

Spoiler
    Show

Both the green honden and the white honden make you very hard to kill, but the green honden actually can win you the game since the spirits can deal damage. Just look at past limited formats to see how insanely powerful repeatable creature generation is. repeatable lifegain can be amazing against decks that want to race you (like the UW flying deck and RG aggro deck in Eternal Masters) but against midrange and control decks it doesn't do too much- Havoc Demon and Wurm Tokens can still kill you at 40 life.

The blue honden and the black honden both generate card advantage (which is very good) but the black honden 'turns off' once the opponent is topdecking. The blue honden with continue to pull you ahead further and further each turn, no matter what your opponent is doing.

The red honden can be amazing or mediocre, heavily dependent on your opponent's deck. If your opponent has a deck full of Squadron Hawk and Raise the Alarm, it's absurdly powerful. Against larger creatures, it's mostly just a worse sulfiric vortex- which is still good if you're playing a really aggressive deck.

On average, I'd say
    Great- Green, Blue
    Good- Red, Black
    Okay- White

Though these change depending on how aggressive your deck is and the kind of deck your opponent is playing. In particular, the White honden gets much better in an GW enchantress deck, but is unplayable in an aggressive white deck.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Well the Honden of Night is not quite "turned off" when your opponent has no hand. There is the fact that whatever they draw in top deck mode they must play it by the next trigger or lose it.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

I make deck: The Oaths That Were Taken. Jeskai superfriends, with oaths. It's currently 10 cards short and I think what it wants is early removal. It may also have too much land, but I'm not sure. Suggestions?

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

Arrite, I have an EDH rules question: may I cast a spell or put a card into play which is not a part of my Commander's color identity, providing that it was not in my deck at the start of the game?

For instance cards such as Acquire and Bribery allow me to put cards into play from *your* deck, and the combo of a Havengul Lich and a North Star would allow me to cast from *your* graveyard using CMC.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, colour identity is just a deck building constraint. I think the limitation on mana was removed or modified when colourless requirements came in.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #414

How are y'all at judging non-existent cards that random scrubs (like me) just made up?

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

We can do it semi-effectively, I'm sure.

26. - Top - End - #416

Okily dokily.

Spoiler: I'm sure this could be phrased better but...
    Show
    Treacherous Saboteur, 1BB, Human Wizard, 0/1

Shroud

Cumulative upkeep - Sacrifice a permanent not named Treacherous Saboteur.

When Treacherous Saboteur enters the battlefield each opponent puts into play a token that's a copy of it except it loses this ability.

Cumulative upkeep must be paid if able.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a smokestack, that's what is it is, except this is even more broken. First off you can make your deck so you easily can get rid of it and just leave your opponent with one that eats all his stuff. Secondly you can reanimate it with something like sun titan, sac it then bring it back, giving your opponent a whole bunch of them. You can also birthing pod it quite effectively.

It's interesting design but it is not a fun card and shouldn't ever be printed.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep in mind, I play a lot of EDH.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Yung Crunk View Post
    Okily dokily.

Spoiler: I'm sure this could be phrased better but...
    Show

Shroud

When Treacherous Saboteur enters the battlefield , if it isn't a token, targeteach opponent puts into play a token that's a copy of it except it loses this ability.

Still shouldn't be made, but that change fixes it up a bit. That way you can't remove Shroud and Rite of Replication it with a sac outlet on board. Making it target prevents it from wrecking the entire board, and means you may be able to politic your way to actually sticking it, rather than it being counter bait.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post
    Arrite, I have an EDH rules question: may I cast a spell or put a card into play which is not a part of my Commander's color identity, providing that it was not in my deck at the start of the game?

For instance cards such as Acquire and Bribery allow me to put cards into play from *your* deck, and the combo of a Havengul Lich and a North Star would allow me to cast from *your* graveyard using CMC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Yes, colour identity is just a deck building constraint. I think the limitation on mana was removed or modified when colourless requirements came in.
    Dhavaer is correct, but figured I'd chime in with the actual rule citations to help out.

The restriction on color identity is part of the Commander Deck Construction Rules. Specifically Rule #3 "Cards in a deck may not have any colors in their color identity which are not shared with the commander of the deck." There are no other restriction on color identity in the commander rules. Only when constructing a deck do you need to worry about it.

As for generating mana outside your color identity, that was previously banned via Rule 4 but was removed in the January 2016 Rules Update. The problem with the rule was the part that converted all non-color identity mana into colorless which, with BfZ set's new colorness costs, made lands that tapped for all colors able to tap for additional types of mana (as long as you didn't have a 5 color commander). To give an example, if you were playing any non-5 color deck, you could tap Transguild Promenade to pay the colorless cost of Koz the Great Distortion, which obviously added to the functionality of the land. On the other hand, if you were playing a 5 color commander, you couldn't tap that Transguild for colorless, which was considered too non-intuitive to keep in the rules.

30. - Top - End - #420

Shroud

When Treacherous Saboteur enters the battlefield each opponent puts into play a token that's a copy of it except it loses this ability.

Oh boy. This would be bad enough if it were just an upkeep, let alone a cumulative one. It's so hard to remove, and it can't even attack effectively, which might be the one balancing point (letting your opponent swing at you for small amounts of damage would at least HELP).

As something like a 2/1 or 1/1 it might be better, as there's at least SOME sacrifice there on your part. Instead, this is just something you feed to a sac outlet (super easy in black) and watch destroy your opponent's entire game. That unavoidable ramping permanent sacrifice is absolutely CRIPPLING to any deck that doesn't feature its own sacrifice outlet or can't simply kill you outright that same turn.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.