New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

Cumulative upkeep is a pretty terrible mechanic IMO. Just because Wizards used it before doesn't mean it should be brought back.
    Agreed on everything people have said. It would be significantly better without shroud, so that a normal deck would have some way to deal with it, but still massively unfun.

If you want to try your hand at card design, we have some threads going down in Message Board Games.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

So on a lark I took the mono-blue prison standard deck and converted it over to a sphinx's tutelage mill deck; It's been hilariously effective.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2016-06-09 at 04:44 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thanks for the feedback, fellas! Keeping all of this in mind. This is more important than you realise. Can't explain why.

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Drafting EMA went okay. Pulled a foil Wasteland, which was nice. Also bought a box, getting a Jace, Maelstrom Wanderer and Necropotence. Drafted Abzan Enchantress, went 2-1. Hondens are cool, I had two white, a green and a black. Having three Tangles, a Yavimaya Enchantress and an Ancestral Mask was pretty sweet too.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the EDH clarification!

Tangenting back to Pauper, I'd be interested in feedback on a deck concept, if anybody's interested.

Spoiler: Whoopin' Wizards, v2.3
    Show

8 Plains
    5 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Dismal Backwater
    1 Scoured Barrens
    4 Traveler's Amulet
    4 Esper Stormblade
    3 Stonybrook Banneret
    4 Windwright Mage
    4 Ethersworn Shieldmage
    4 Thistledown Duo
    4 Stream of Unconsciousness
    4 Coordinated Barrage
    4 Celestial Flare
    3 Eternal Thirst
    3 Steel of the Godhead
    3 Distant Melody

I took out Evolving Wilds for the Amulet to improve the odds of getting artifacts into the graveyard without loosing creatures, in order to boost the Windwright; I don't think the cost is significant, since if it's used when I don't have a land in hand whatever I spend to trigger the Amulet gets replaced immediately. Celestial Flare took the pick over Wing Shards for card-play order: Wing Shards wants to be last in the sequence, which would make any other combat effect (likely) a wast to spend mana on. Eternal Thirst in barely edging out Soul Link, only because of the +1/+1 boosts.

Clearly I'm not looking for a turn-2 win with this. I want a developed game with some give and take.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

6. - Top - End - #426

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post

Tangenting back to Pauper, I'd be interested in feedback on a deck concept, if anybody's interested.

Show

8 Plains
    5 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Dismal Backwater
    1 Scoured Barrens
    4 Traveler's Amulet
    4 Esper Stormblade
    3 Stonybrook Banneret
    4 Windwright Mage
    4 Ethersworn Shieldmage
    4 Thistledown Duo
    4 Coordinated Barrage
    4 Celestial Flare
    3 Eternal Thirst
    3 Steel of the Godhead
    3 Distant Melody

I took out Evolving Wilds for the Amulet to improve the odds of getting artifacts into the graveyard without loosing creatures, in order to boost the Windwright; I don't think the cost is significant, since if it's used when I don't have a land in hand whatever I spend to trigger the Amulet gets replaced immediately. Celestial Flare took the pick over Wing Shards for card-play order: Wing Shards wants to be last in the sequence, which would make any other combat effect (likely) a wast to spend mana on. Eternal Thirst in barely edging out Soul Link, only because of the +1/+1 boosts.

Clearly I'm not looking for a turn-2 win with this. I want a developed game with some give and take.
    Hm. Given Windwright Mage and Esper Stormblade, have you considered Edge of the Divinity? Also, how much work are those Bannerets doing you? They reduce the cost of only a few cards in your deck, aren't worth much in combat, and there are a lot of cool other wizard effects you could be tapping. Like Cuombajj Witches/Prodigal Sorcerer, Deputy of Acquittals, Hisoka's Guard, Information Dealer, Disruptive Pupil, and so on.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427

Hi guys, long time lurker here, just thought I'd ask for a little input. I have a Commander deck that works well for me and I love playing it, however there's always room for a fresh perspective as there's so many cards out there that may work better. I've only been playing a couple of years and most certainly don't know every single one and what they do. After all, the deck that stays still is the deck that people work out how to deal with. In other words, can anyone think of some other cards that synergises particularly well with angels and will work better with what I have already put in. Thanks for any input.

Spoiler
    Show

Wolfie's 5 colour Angels.

Commander

Child of Alara

Creatures (34)
    Admonition Angel
    Akroma, Angel of Fury
    Akroma Angel of Wrath
    Angel of Jubilation
    Angel of the Dire Hour
    Angelic Arbiter
    Angelic Field Marshal
    Angelic Skirmisher
    Archangel of Thune
    Aurelia the Warleader
    Avacyn, Angel of Hope
    Baneslayer Angel
    Captain Sisay
    Emeria Shepherd
    Firemane Avenger
    Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
    Guardian of the Gateless
    Heliod
    Herald of War
    Hushwing Gryff (My usual opponent plays Slivers)
    Iona, Shield of Emeria
    Jenara, Asura of War
    Kaalia of the Vast
    Lightning Angel
    Linvala, Keeper of Silence
    Maelstrom Archangel
    Magister of Worth
    Platinum Angel
    Reya Dawnbringer
    Serra Avenger
    Sigarda, Heron's Grace
    Sigarda, Host of Herons
    Soul of Ravnica
    Sunblast Angel

Enchantments (7)
    Celestial Mantle
    Detention Sphere
    Omniscience
    Phryexian Reclamation
    Sanguine Bond
    True Conviction
    Wild Pair

Instants (4)
    Afterlife
    Comeuppance
    Polymorphist's Jest
    Return to Dust

Sorceries (9)
    Akroma's Vengeance
    Black Sun's Zenith
    Choice of Damnations
    Diabolic Tutor
    Genesis Wave
    Increasing Ambition
    Killing Wave
    Merciless Eviction
    Nissa's Renewal

Artifacts (11)
    Akroma's Memorial
    Bident of Thassa
    Caged Sun
    Chromatic Lantern
    Commanders Sphere
    Elixir of Immortality
    Lightning Greaves
    Ring of Three Wishes
    Sol Ring
    Swiftfoot Boots
    Whispersilk Cloak

Planeswalkers
    Narset Transcendent

Lands (33)
    Ancient Zigguarat
    Arcane Lighthouse
    Azorius Chancery
    Blossoming Sands
    Calciform Pools
    Command Tower
    Evolving Wilds
    Forest
    Frontier Bivouac
    Gavony Township
    Hallowed Fountain
    Island
    Molten Slagheap
    Mountain
    Mystic Monastery
    Nomad Outpost
    Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    Opal Palace
    Opulent Palace
    Plains
    Saltcrusted Steppe
    Sandsteppe Citadel
    Scoured Barrens
    Swamp
    Terramorphic Expanse
    Transguild Promenade
    Temple of Deceit
    Temple of Enlightenment
    Temple of Plenty
    Temple of Triumph
    Temple of the False God
    Vivid Meadow
    Wind - Scarred Crag

Notes and explanations
    Spoiler
    Show

Some stuff might be a bit odd / incomprehensible.
    Child of Alara I'm not keen on this as my Commander, but unfortunately, the options are limited and it was the only one I could see doing anything for me aside from Cromat, whose card I hate with a passion.
    Lots of board wipes of varying types. Regrettably essential for local play. People round here love mass indestructible and mass hexproof.
    Five colours. I love the Maelstrom Archangel as it gets expensive stuff in for free, which is a real concern, and there's a lot of angels with splashes of other colours that are too useful to lose. Plus Black fires most of my utility spells, especially the ones that let me search the library.
    Polymorphist's Jest and Comeuppance. When you've had 1000 Sliver tokens created by an infinite mana loop from the Sliver Queen (Mana Echoes and Training Ground...) made even bigger by the Sliver Legion (+1,+1 for each other creature that shares a type with it) bear down on you, stuff that'll stop that is very, very welcome, especially when they're all indestructible, protected from white and only blockable by other slivers. This also works on the disappointingly large hydras and everything else that I run into.
    Narset The free scry / draw is great, as I find I need card draw. the -2 ability is less useful, but still handy and the -9 is just fantastic.
    Sanguine Bond It's a separate way of winning that does not required smashing people in the face directly with creatures. Synergises amazingly with Celestial Mantle, Archangel of Thune and True Conviction.
    Captain Sisay. By the nature of this, I run a lot of legendaries. Sisay lets me search for them once a turn and is made hexproof by new Sigarda.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    Hm. Given Windwright Mage and Esper Stormblade, have you considered Edge of the Divinity? Also, how much work are those Bannerets doing you? They reduce the cost of only a few cards in your deck, aren't worth much in combat, and there are a lot of cool other wizard effects you could be tapping. Like Cuombajj Witches/Prodigal Sorcerer, Deputy of Acquittals, Hisoka's Guard, Information Dealer, Disruptive Pupil, and so on.
    I haven't actually put together and played the deck yet. That said, I'm iffy on the Bannerets too. If I were to replace them I'd probably use either Somnomancers (UW dovetails nicely with SotG) or Stoneybrook Teachers for ablative blockers and to boost Barrage and Melody.

I can see Prodigal being useful to kill small things to boost Thirst, or do that last bit with a too-small Barrage, but I'd rather have that at CMC2 than 3, which is a bit high for what looks like an edge-case. That'd mean Red for Fireslingers though as the Cuombajj make it too easy to lose my own creatures, and I don't want to go that route (though Crown of Fury would be a fun addition if I threaded Red in). That's just too many mana problems.

On Edge of Divinity, what would you take out for it? +3/+3 is great, but +2/+2 Unblockable Lifelink is really hard to beat. Likewise the +1/+1 per enemy death and Lifelink that I get from Thirst.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2016-06-12 at 02:01 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429

I haven't actually put together and played the deck yet. That said, I'm iffy on the Bannerets too. If I were to replace them I'd probably use either Somnomancers (UW dovetails nicely with SotG) or Stoneybrook Teachers for ablative blockers and to boost Barrage and Melody.

I can see Prodigal being useful to kill small things to boost Thirst, or do that last bit with a too-small Barrage, but I'd rather have that at CMC2 than 3, which is a bit high for what looks like an edge-case. That'd mean Red for Fireslingers though as the Cuombajj make it too easy to lose my own creatures, and I don't want to go that route (though Crown of Fury would be a fun addition if I threaded Red in). That's just too many mana problems.

On Edge of Divinity, what would you take out for it? +3/+3 is great, but +2/+2 Unblockable Lifelink is really hard to beat. Likewise the +1/+1 per enemy death and Lifelink that I get from Thirst.
    Well, Cuombajj Witches actually can't kill any Wizards that you run. They all have 2 or more toughness save for an unbuffed Stormblade (which is not likely to be unbuffed for long), and they're unlikely to be in scenarios where they're blocked such that they'll be left with only one damage on them. For cuts, I'd be looking at Stream of Unconsciousness; sure, it cantrips, but it requires you to leave mana up, be on the defensive, and it gains relatively little benefit against most creatures. It's not a bad card, but it's not amazing like an Edge is when you're swinging in with a 6/5 flier turn 3. Or when you assemble that Ikea Baneslayer with your Windwright Mage.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Cuombajj Witches actually can't kill any Wizards that you run. They all have 2 or more toughness save for an unbuffed Stormblade (which is not likely to be unbuffed for long), and they're unlikely to be in scenarios where they're blocked such that they'll be left with only one damage on them.
    Not alone, no, but there are relatively few 1P creatures worth killing with them also.

For cuts, I'd be looking at Stream of Unconsciousness; sure, it cantrips, but it requires you to leave mana up, be on the defensive, and it gains relatively little benefit against most creatures. It's not a bad card, but it's not amazing like an Edge is when you're swinging in with a 6/5 flier turn 3. Or when you assemble that Ikea Baneslayer with your Windwright Mage.
    Why does it require I be on the defensive? Is there errata I'm not aware of?

If it can be used as an offensive card as printed, I can simply cast permanents in my second main.

EDIT: the Shaper Guildmage looks be a solid sub. CMC1 with the ability to add first strike? Yes Please. Though I'm not entirely convinced that the Bannerets won't open up enough combat Instants to be worth the slot.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2016-06-12 at 03:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431

Not alone, no, but there are relatively few 1P creatures worth killing with them also.
    Delver, mana dorks, Crypt Rats, tokens, any number of random 2/1 dorks, etc. Cuombajj are good enough that mono-black runs them as a 4-of, which implies some valuable targets.

Why does it require I be on the defensive? Is there errata I'm not aware of?

If it can be used as an offensive card as printed, I can simply cast permanents in my second main.
    Sorry, I was making assumptions. Now I'm just curious how the -4/-0 is helping your team of fliers and unblockable creatures kill your opponent faster.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I was making assumptions. Now I'm just curious how the -4/-0 is helping your team of fliers and unblockable creatures kill your opponent faster.
    My thinking is that it keeps my creature on the board, and draws me a card, at the cost of {U}.

Delver, mana dorks, Crypt Rats, tokens, any number of random 2/1 dorks, etc. Cuombajj are good enough that mono-black runs them as a 4-of, which implies some valuable targets.
    Using more than one, though, or using them in the same round as combat, starts really costing me. I'm not playing out-of-combat suppression, which is where they will shine.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2016-06-12 at 03:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433

My thinking is that it keeps my creature on the board, and draws me a card, at the cost of {U}.
    My question is more about what situation will occur where you're going to get benefit from this. In order for you to get that advantage offensively, you have to have 2 creatures that you want to attack with, while they have to have a blocker capable of shutting at least one down, and you don't have a Shieldmage. The only situation where I see this happening is when you're against mono-U with Spire Golem and Delver, and in that case, Edge of the Divinity will punch through both and become a permanent answer for whatever threat prompted you to play it, as opposed to just getting 2-3 damage through and being stuck looking for another answer next turn.

Using more than one, though, or using them in the same round as combat, starts really costing me. I'm not playing out-of-combat suppression, which is where they will shine.
    Eh. Your call. Possibly worth testing, possibly not. I'm just not seeing much value from the Bannerets.

Also not sold on the Shaper Guildmage. First strike is good in weenie fights on the ground, but when you have evasion, it tends to lose a bit of oomph. Still, your call.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

I make deck: Countersphinx. Mostly I really wanted to use Sphinx of Magosi since it's back in standard. Lots of instants seemed like the way to go, so I can hold back mana and pump my sphinx if my opponent doesn't do anything worth countering. I'm thinking of tossing in Sphinx of the Final Word but I'm not sure if I want to go to 24 land when my plan A is a six drop mana sink.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    I make deck: Countersphinx.
    Needs more Mage-Ring Network.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Needs more Mage-Ring Network.
    I'm not super enthusiastic about non-Islands with Engulf the Shores. I can see it being useful, though.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

Show

8 Plains
    5 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Dismal Backwater
    1 Scoured Barrens
    4 Traveler's Amulet
    4 Esper Stormblade
    3 Stonybrook Banneret
    4 Windwright Mage
    4 Ethersworn Shieldmage
    4 Thistledown Duo
    4 Coordinated Barrage
    4 Celestial Flare
    3 Eternal Thirst
    3 Steel of the Godhead
    3 Distant Melody

You're aggressive, so -x/-0 spells aren't likely to help you. If you want cantrips, run ponder of preordain, both of which are brokenly good and legal in pauper. if you want to push through damage in combat, run vapor snag.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys,

I've been considering brewing a Modern deck, after noticing an interesting interaction in one of my existing casual decks. I threw together a quick decklist, but I wanted to see if you all had any advice to improve it. I'm not committed to actually buying the cards for it yet, but if I was I'd want to keep my purchases relatively cheap.

Spoiler: First Pass at Merfolk Ordeal deck
    Show

Artifacts
    2 Ring of Evos Isle
    2 Swiftfoot Boots
    Creatures
    4 Ajani's Pridemate
    2 Auramancer
    2 Geist of Saint Traft
    4 Sejiri Merfolk
    Enchantments
    4 Ordeal of Heliod
    4 Ordeal of Thassa
    2 Sunbond
    Instants
    3 Ajani's Presence
    3 Mizzium Skin
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    Lands
    2 Azorius Chancery
    8 Island
    8 Plains
    4 Prairie Stream
    1 Sejiri Refuge

The main interaction that I built the deck around is between Sejiri Merfolk and the Ordeals, gaining a whole lot of life and card advantage. Everything else in the deck either benefits from that interaction, fuels it, or works as an alternate Ordeal target (in the case of the Geist). But I'm sure there are aspects that could be improved, or weaknesses that I'm missing.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Swords to plowshares isn't Modern Legal. The closest thing is Path to Exile.

You're kind of going two different directions here. One is a voltron/pump sort of thing, the other is a lifegain one. If you want the deck to be good, you're going to need more focus on one of those.

What's your budget?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2016-06-16 at 11:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Swords to plowshares isn't Modern Legal. The closest thing is Path to Exile.

You're kind of going two different directions here. One is a voltron/pump sort of thing, the other is a lifegain one. If you want the deck to be good, you're going to need more focus on one of those.

What's your budget?
    Thanks, I'm unfamiliar with the various banlists.

The lifegain is the main reason that the Merfolk/Ordeal interaction is interesting to me, so I'd rather focus on that. But I also don't want the Merfolk to be my only win condition, so that I don't immediately lose to a deck capable of interfering with it.

To start out with, I'd want to keep the deck under $50. Which I know is pretty low for the format (4 Paths to Exile alone almost break that limit), but I just don't have the funds to go further than that right now and I would like to get my feet wet in the format.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, the issue is, $50 is just so little, especially for a two color deck. I have no idea what your local meta is like, but odds are, if you spend $50 on a deck, you'll go to FNM with people who have somewhere between ten to fifty times your budget and just get trounced.

If you want a lifegain centered deck, your best bet is probably http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype...rs-26495#paper It's more expensive than your budget, but it's probably the only viable lifegain centered deck in Modern. The only key expensive cards are Serra Ascendant, Path to Exile, and Ranger of Eos, with Serra Ascendant probably being the most important.

Of course, the issue is, even if you are willing to spend the money, the deck is very straightforward and may get boring quickly.

Do you have any other deck ideas that interest you? If not, I could try and put together a U/W lifegain deck on a $50 budget, but I can't make any promises about results.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2016-06-17 at 07:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so I haven't looked at this thread in months and I'm going to an Eternal Masters sealed tomorrow morning. What possible decks/archetypes should I be on the lookout for that are actually good?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Elves can be good if you get the bits and bobs for it.

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    "the bits and bobs"
    I like this phrase. That is all.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

And which of those "bits and bobs" are the most important ones? I could probably figure out for myself but it would require pouring over the set again.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Honestly, the issue is, $50 is just so little, especially for a two color deck. I have no idea what your local meta is like, but odds are, if you spend $50 on a deck, you'll go to FNM with people who have somewhere between ten to fifty times your budget and just get trounced.

If you want a lifegain centered deck, your best bet is probably http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype...rs-26495#paper It's more expensive than your budget, but it's probably the only viable lifegain centered deck in Modern. The only key expensive cards are Serra Ascendant, Path to Exile, and Ranger of Eos, with Serra Ascendant probably being the most important.

Of course, the issue is, even if you are willing to spend the money, the deck is very straightforward and may get boring quickly.

Do you have any other deck ideas that interest you? If not, I could try and put together a U/W lifegain deck on a $50 budget, but I can't make any promises about results.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with Soul Sisters. It and Tempered Steel are the only two Modern decks that I am familiar with. It probably is the deck that I'd be most interested in building out of the existing meta.

The high deck budgets is basically the reason I've been avoiding most Constructed formats. It sounds like just what I was afraid of, that I'd get completely trounced unless I play what's Most OptimalTM.
    Ah well, that's what Limited formats are good for. And, ya know, just kitchen table Magic.

I'm still curious if the deck could be competitive though, if budget weren't a factor. Would it be possible to make a reasonably competitive deck based around the Sejiri Merfolk and the Ordeals?

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    Yeah, I'm familiar with Soul Sisters. It and Tempered Steel are the only two Modern decks that I am familiar with. It probably is the deck that I'd be most interested in building out of the existing meta.

The high deck budgets is basically the reason I've been avoiding most Constructed formats. It sounds like just what I was afraid of, that I'd get completely trounced unless I play what's Most OptimalTM.
    Ah well, that's what Limited formats are good for. And, ya know, just kitchen table Magic.

I'm still curious if the deck could be competitive though, if budget weren't a factor. Would it be possible to make a reasonably competitive deck based around the Sejiri Merfolk and the Ordeals?
    Honestly, no. The Merfolk die to every non-unset removal spell ever printed, and a fair number of decks can just kill your creature in response to you enchanting them. The only cempetitive deck involving auras that I'm aware of is bogles, because all the creatures have hexproof, or the auras give your one non-hexproof creature (Kor Spirit Dancee) totem armor.

28. - Top - End - #448

Planetar

Merfolk itself is a very competitive deck, but that deck is focused on lords and Aether vials such as Lord of Atlantis and Master of the Pearl Trident

29. - Top - End - #449

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post

I advise still attending an event or three and participating at least a couple times.

Learn your meta, maybe not everyone there can afford Most Optimal decks.

Sure MtG formats are rapidly solved via the interaction between MtG's massive userbase and the information age but that doesnt mean every players meta holds to those standards.

If your goal is to grind planeswalker points and play at being a pro then you will definitely have to spend the big bucks.
    But if all you want to do is tinker and surprise a few opponents with a dark horse deck then i say go for it.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2016-06-17 at 06:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    And which of those "bits and bobs" are the most important ones? I could probably figure out for myself but it would require pouring over the set again.
    Uuh, Wirewood Symbiote, Lys Alana Huntsmaster, Shaman of the Pack, Imperious Prefect. BBE is nice, but not necessary. Same with Heritage Druid, Timberwatch and Llanowar Elves, and the Elvish Vanguard. Though really, a good guide is just take elves and things that synergize with elves, if you get something good in the first few packs.