New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

All I want is a reasonably castable card with the text "Exile target colorless creature." Why can't we just have answers to the Eldrazi? If you're going to terrorize standard with them, give us ways to deal with them.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    All I want is a reasonably castable card with the text "Exile target colorless creature." Why can't we just have answers to the Eldrazi? If you're going to terrorize standard with them, give us ways to deal with them.
    They could reprint Topple. Its not exactly what you wanted but its pretty solid against the Eldrazi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello again. I was just thinking of a lot of things about MtG again. Decided to just try and improve my Prosh deck again instead of going for standard. But I remembered something I have been wondering about. Primarily Green villains. I guess Garruck counts, but there is a good amount of black to him. A few cycles exist with an evil green member. Maybe the Green Big Diety thing from Kamigawa as well as Vorcinclex, but he isn't very smart. Anyone else you can think of? In MtG and beyond.

Also, do you think Marston, the main villain from Quigley Down Under, could qualify? He is a very racist wealthy land owner from Australia is in the middle of a conflict with the Aborigines. One of his quotes is, "Some men are born in the wrong century. I think I was born on the wrong continent." So any thoughts?

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    One of his quotes is, "Some men are born in the wrong century. I think I was born on the wrong continent." So any thoughts?
    He should move.

Also yes, Garruk can be very Black. In fact both Apex Predator and the Veil-Cursed are Black, as is some Gurruk-titled sorcery whose name escapes me. It destroys creatures and Plansewalkers.

A timing question, as I build my EDH deck. Let's say I use some sac-and-destroy card, like Attrition, while I have a sac-punisher in play (such as Dictate of Erebos). Is the order:
    1. I announce the use of Attrtion and pay its costs,both mana and creature
    2. Dictate triggers, causing all other players to sac a creature
    3. I select the target creature for Attrition to destroy

If not, what is the specific ordering? My thinking is that there's a chance that I would need to target the creature to be destroyed first, allowing that opponent to select the same creature to feed to Dictate.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

6. - Top - End - #516
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Occasional Sage View Post

A timing question, as I build my EDH deck. Let's say I use some sac-and-destroy card, like Attrition, while I have a sac-punisher in play (such as Dictate of Erebos). Is the order:

If not, what is the specific ordering? My thinking is that there's a chance that I would need to target the creature to be destroyed first, allowing that opponent to select the same creature to feed to Dictate.
    targets are chosen when an ability is put onto the stack.
    and you cannot put an ability that requires a target on the stack without a target.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2016-06-28 at 11:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

He should move.

Also yes, Garruk can be very Black. In fact both Apex Predator and the Veil-Cursed are Black, as is some Gurruk-titled sorcery whose name escapes me. It destroys creatures and Plansewalkers.
    In Garruk's Wake. 7BB Destroy all creatures and planeswalkers you don't control.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Correct order:
    1. Announce use of Attrition. Select target for ability, pay all costs, put ability on the stack.
    2. Dictate triggers and its ability is immediately put on the stack above Attrition's.
    3. Each player then has the chance to respond, starting with you.
    4. Assuming no player does, Dictate's ability resolves and each opponent sacrifices a creature they control.
    5. See step 3.
    6. Attrition's ability resolves and destroys the target nonblack creature.

So yes, your opponent can just sacrifice whatever you targeted with Attrition.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Protection From Colorless would be nice.

ETA: Hm, shoot. I can live with that (even if my creatures can't!), but it's less than ideal.
    Last edited by Occasional Sage; 2016-06-29 at 12:13 AM.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

10. - Top - End - #520

Hello again. I was just thinking of a lot of things about MtG again. Decided to just try and improve my Prosh deck again instead of going for standard. But I remembered something I have been wondering about. Primarily Green villains. I guess Garruck counts, but there is a good amount of black to him. A few cycles exist with an evil green member. Maybe the Green Big Diety thing from Kamigawa as well as Vorcinclex, but he isn't very smart. Anyone else you can think of? In MtG and beyond.

Also, do you think Marston, the main villain from Quigley Down Under, could qualify? He is a very racist wealthy land owner from Australia is in the middle of a conflict with the Aborigines. One of his quotes is, "Some men are born in the wrong century. I think I was born on the wrong continent." So any thoughts?
    Off the top of my head: I'd peg Unalaq and Zaheer from Legend of Korra as flavors of green. Unalaq is green/black, while Zaheer is green/red.
    Shere Khan from The Jungle Book would probably be monogreen.
    The villain from Zootopia can be argued to be green.
    The example that Maro always gives is Poison Ivy.

Haven't watched Quigley Down Under, but from what limited info I can gather, Marston sounds pretty black.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but the Marston guy I mentioned is a bit of a jerk.

The other thing I was thinking about was an article I reread. And I don't think I have mentioned that here before so I might as well share it. Link

I really like that idea and would love if they did something like that. Notably I disagree with him on the GU conflict and the GB conflict. I feel that the first one should be Djinn vs Giants with Giants moved to Green. I like that because it emphasizes the intelligent aspect of Green and would give a good place for Wizards to stick Reach. Red and White have had significantly more Giants, but Green has had some very good ones including Primeval Titan and Arbor Colossus. For BG on the other hand I think it should be Hydras vs Gorgons. Parallel serpentine forms and a contrast between empowering the self and destroying others.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Cause eldrazi are C'thulu Horors and they shouldn't have removal targeted at them cause HP Lovecraft blah blah balh.

13. - Top - End - #523

I've seen one or two portrayals of Saxton Hale as a villain, and he's about as Green as they come. Also, you have Nature in all those disaster movies, Raven from Snow Crash, and plenty of bit-part villains like Leshen from The Witcher 3.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Tree of Perdition is going to go so well into my Orzhov Trisk/Taint deck.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Cause eldrazi are C'thulu Horors and they shouldn't have removal targeted at them cause HP Lovecraft blah blah balh.
    Why not, we already blew them up with all the mana from an entire plane, despite the fact that we established three near gods couldn't figure out a way to destroy the Eldrazi in a worthwhile way. All I want is a reasonable way to deal with cards that got lands banned in Modern and are now terrorizing Legacy and Vintage.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Why not, we already blew them up with all the mana from an entire plane, despite the fact that we established three near gods couldn't figure out a way to destroy the Eldrazi in a worthwhile way. All I want is a reasonable way to deal with cards that got lands banned in Modern and are now terrorizing Legacy and Vintage.
    \

Actually the one near god figured it out in a worthwhile way from the start..he was just..well an elder dragon and never told anyone else.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    I already like this version about fifty times better, though.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I already like this version about fifty times better, though.
    To be fair, you're right, these are better than Wolfir...But that's not really a super high bar, now is it?

20. - Top - End - #530

So far I am very satisfied with the direction of Eldritch Moon. The way they implemented the Eldrazi in BFZ block fell kinda flat, but EMN is doing it right.

Blue Ghost, Lawful Good generalist wizard, at your service.
    Love wins. S'agapo.

I make MtG cards. My portfolio

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, I like they way that they're implementing Eldrazi. I just don't like that it comes at the expense of Werewolves, especially after the whole Wolfir fiasco.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, I like they way that they're implementing Eldrazi. I just don't like that it comes at the expense of Werewolves, especially after the whole Wolfir fiasco.
    How's it "at their expense?" They still have the Werewolf subtype and they still transform, those are both of the important parts. Heck, the real problem with werewolves has always been that their "normal" transformation mechanic is a giant pile of suck, so in that way this is actually an improvement.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2016-06-29 at 10:04 PM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

This is better than the Wolfir, because at least these cards have the werewolf subtype so they're still werewolves for cards that care, rather than wolves. I actually quite like the Werewolf transform mechanic. It does play extremely well in my experience, and really sells the feel of werewolves. A lot of the transform cards haven't felt as flavorful as some of the previous ones in my opinion.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I actually quite like the Werewolf transform mechanic.
    Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it isn't terrible, playing Werewolves is effectively handing your opponent a free Arcane Lab that doesn't affect them. Outside of the Eldrazi the biggest disappointment I have with Innistrad 2 is that werewolves as a mechanic were not fixed to not actively harm you for playing them.

25. - Top - End - #535

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Just because you enjoy something doesn't mean it isn't terrible, playing Werewolves is effectively handing your opponent a free Arcane Lab that doesn't affect them. Outside of the Eldrazi the biggest disappointment I have with Innistrad 2 is that werewolves as a mechanic were not fixed to not actively harm you for playing them.
    I'm sorry you're dealing with a downside for playing with 3-mana 5/5s and 2-mana 4/4s with incredible tribal buffs on the attack. You'll just have to deal with original Innistrad's Immerwolf, Mondronen Shaman, and Huntmaster of the Fells to punish opponents for trying to flip your creatures back.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The new offering card seems like it can be fun as a jund or rakdos combo. Add in immortal coil and or demonic pact and you have control cards which are good themselves, and with the new donate card win you the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

27. - Top - End - #537

I wish there were more cards with a "when X dies, do Y" effect in this set (admittedly...there still could be) -- would be quite interesting alongside Offering.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

So from today's cards

Lupine Prototype: Awesome. Also, potentially playable in Modern Affinity?

Eldritch Evolution: Everyone is going to try and break this card.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

I do think Lupine Prototype is going to fit into affinity. I just don't know where.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    I'm sorry you're dealing with having to play a bunch of overcosted vanilla creatures that might turn into better creatures a few turns later and might even stay that way long enough to be useful.
    Fixed that for you. Yes, there are werewolves with decent front sides, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosOS View Post
    Eldritch Evolution: Everyone is going to try and break this card.
    So very yes they are.