New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Civ 5 GMR 16 Reject Earth Edition

So. I am currently only playing 3 GMR games.

This is unacceptable.

So I'm going to start GMR 16!

Who's interested.

And who has ideas for a theme!

Seems so far we are going with reject earth edition

Myself Netherlands
    Silverraptor Polynesia
    The Snark Ottomans
    AI Iroqouis
    Nerd-o-rama Venice
    Shishnarfne Carthage
    Datsmore Japan
    Last edited by Illven; 2017-02-20 at 01:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: GMR 16 (In need of theme)

I'd like to express my interest. As for theme, I was thinking all nations can only orginate from one continent or we all start at a certain era. But whatever is decided is fine with me.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Interested. Possibly as Arabia, since they were the second nation I was looking at playing in 15 but passed up.

As for a theme, eh, whatever. I've played little enough of the game that basically anything will be new by me.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Interested. We could do an Earth map? I don't know that we've done that before.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

So thinking about it, how's this for a theme. People are either randomly assigned or pick to bottom tier civilizations and then we duke it out? I'd like to see how everyone plays with a less then stellar civilization. What do you guys think?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    So thinking about it, how's this for a theme. People are either randomly assigned or pick to bottom tier civilizations and then we duke it out? I'd like to see how everyone plays with a less then stellar civilization. What do you guys think?
    But I wanna play as Korea, Poland, or Shoshone!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming I get informed which Civs qualify as bottom tier, I'm fine with that I suppose. Odds are I can find one that looks fun to me, I'd imagine.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    But I wanna play as Korea, Poland, or Shoshone!!!
    I think you've dominated enough.

And why don't you list the crappy civs then.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2016-03-26 at 01:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

I think you've dominated enough.

And why don't you list the crappy civs then.
    Technically I haven't won a domination victory yet.

The 8 worst civ's in the game

Spoiler
    Show

Carthage, Netherlands, France, Japan, Polynesia, Ottomons, Iroquois, Venice.

If we're doing this, I call Netherlands.
    Last edited by Illven; 2016-03-26 at 01:20 AM.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Technically I haven't won a domination victory yet.

The 8 worst civ's in the game

Spoiler
    Show

Carthage, Netherlands, France, Japan, Polynesia, Ottomons, Iroquois, Venice.

If we're doing this, I call Netherlands.
    Really? Huh, I'm a little surprised by some of the Civs on that list.

Anyway, if we go with that, I call France. Also, given several Civs on that list have navy-based benefits, we should definitely use a map type where that will actually matter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Anyway, if we go with that, I call France. Also, given several Civs on that list have navy-based benefits, we should definitely use a map type where that will actually matter.
    If you're going with the bottom-tier civ idea, you should also go with a terrible map, like Tilted Axis or Tiny Islands.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Possibly interested, but only if it doesn't start in another week or so (don't wait for me).

Sweden, to me, seems like it'd be rather bottom tiery? And real Earth map sounds like a good idea
    Well that was awkward.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Really? Huh, I'm a little surprised by some of the Civs on that list.
    These lists are mainly drawn from high-end competitive multiplayer games listing what works for those. In most of the games on this forum the environment just isn't such that it's going to particularly matter, but that hasn't stopped a fairly vocal minority here from treating these lists as game-defining (see also: any of the 'If I roll Venice I'm taking my ball and going home" type statements that have cropped up in a few thread lately).
    Last edited by Mx.Silver; 2016-03-26 at 11:02 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    These lists are mainly drawn from high-end competitive multiplayer games listing what works for those. In most of the games on this forum the environment just isn't such that it's going to particularly matter, but that hasn't stopped a fairly vocal minority here from treating these lists as game-defining (see also: any of the 'If I roll Venice I'm taking my ball and going home" type statements that have cropped up in a few thread lately).
    Oh, I get that. I'm familiar enough with competitive gaming from my experience with fighting games and Hearthstone to know how that tends to work. I'm just new enough to Civ 5 that I've never really seen any kind of tier listing for it, and while I was able to guess that Venice and Polynesia would probably be on there, I wasn't sure about any of the rest, and there's a couple I certainly wouldn't have guessed on there. Most notably Japan, which I would've guessed was actually fairly good.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I get that. I'm familiar enough with competitive gaming from my experience with fighting games and Hearthstone to know how that tends to work. I'm just new enough to Civ 5 that I've never really seen any kind of tier listing for it, and while I was able to guess that Venice and Polynesia would probably be on there, I wasn't sure about any of the rest, and there's a couple I certainly wouldn't have guessed on there. Most notably Japan, which I would've guessed was actually fairly good.
    Yeah, I was surprised myself with Japan being on there as well.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by thirsting View Post
    Possibly interested, but only if it doesn't start in another week or so (don't wait for me).

Sweden, to me, seems like it'd be rather bottom tiery? And real Earth map sounds like a good idea
    Sweden's a little higher tier. The ones I have up are worse then Sweden.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I am indifferent to theme but I would like to play.

Just as a heads up, I believe the Earth map automatically disables Start Bias, so bear that in mind.

Also bear in mind tier lists tend to be based on very specific playstyles - and most of the Civs on there are less "unusable" and more "have a really niche gimmick" like Carthage's free harbors or Japan's lack of damage penalties (which sound really powerful but mainly make a difference very early and against AIs that don't focus fire)
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2016-03-26 at 03:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I am indifferent to theme but I would like to play.

Just as a heads up, I believe the Earth map automatically disables Start Bias, so bear that in mind.
    Hm, an Earth map with those eight nations...

Europe: France, Netherlands, Venice.
    Africa: Carthage (but north Africa, so close enough to potentially come into conflict over territory with the European nations, particularly France).
    Asia: Japan, Ottomans - but opposite sides of the continent.
    Americas: Iroquois, Polynesia.

Yeah, while I haven't seen exactly what Civ 5's version of the map looks like or how big it is, I think the European nations would be at something of a disadvantage there, having to fight over their limited territory while the other nations have whole continents practically to themselves.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, an Earth map with those eight nations...

Europe: France, Netherlands, Venice.
    Africa: Carthage (but north Africa, so close enough to potentially come into conflict over territory with the European nations, particularly France).
    Asia: Japan, Ottomans - but opposite sides of the continent.
    Americas: Iroquois, Polynesia.

Yeah, while I haven't seen exactly what Civ 5's version of the map looks like or how big it is, I think the European nations would be at something of a disadvantage there, having to fight over their limited territory while the other nations have whole continents practically to themselves.
    No. What happens is the map is a replica of earth geographically, but resources and starting locations are still randomized. I once played on a huge earth map as Russia and started in South America.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm also pretty sure start location is RANDOM, i.e. Netherlands could start in central China, unless we're talking a modded map.

Apparently-underpowered-ninja'd.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2016-03-26 at 03:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

No. What happens is the map is a replica of earth geographically, but resources and starting locations are still randomized. I once played on a huge earth map as Russia and started in South America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I'm also pretty sure start location is RANDOM, i.e. Netherlands could start in central China, unless we're talking a modded map.
    Huh. Well, like I said, I haven't used it before, so I did not know that. I know I used Civ 4's Earth map a few times, and in that one your Civ's starting position was always historically accurate, so I assumed it would be the same here.

Okay then, if that's not the case, works for me.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'll put in for the Japanese if we're doing the tier-obscure theme.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be interested in polynesa.

24. - Top - End - #24

Okay, I put up a basic list in the first post.

I'm thinking the title if we go this theme is

Reject Earth edition. We flunked out of Druid school!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I'll take whoever's left over when everyone else has gone, I guess?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

This is probably not a great idea for me (especially as I haven't played GMR before), but I think that this looks like fun. I'm kind of partial to Carthage personally. So, I guess I'll try to have Queen Dido get some usage out of her early game uniques.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Illven, you seem to have missed it when making the first post, but I already said I'd call France if we're doing the "bottom 8 Civs" thing.

So that would leave the Ottomans, Iroqouis, and Venice to be divided between The Snark, Thirsting, and a final player if we get one.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-03-27 at 12:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Illven, you seem to have missed it when making the first post, but I already said I'd call France if we're doing the "bottom 8 Civs" thing.

So that would leave the Ottomans, Iroqouis, and Venice to be divided between The Snark, Thirsting, and a final player if we get one.
    Fixed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

So that would leave the Ottomans, Iroqouis, and Venice...
    How did I guess

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

If literally absolutely nobody wants Venice, I'll take it on the condition that I can RP it as Ankh-Morpork.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqCbOJc6RU

Enrico's even kind of a ringer for Vetinari...
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack