New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Default Erfworld the Game ... qua Game

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but has any consideration been given to Erfworld the Game? I mean, an actual wargame with rules, tokens, hex-map, and everything you would need to play?

Looking at the most recent strip (page 56) brings back memories of fantasy wargames of yore. SPI's War of the Ring. Divine Right. Fellowship of the Ring. Titan. Dragon Pass.

If the authors have actual rules to publish, I for one would buy the game. If not, I wish I had time to reverse engineer the rules from the strip, but alas for wishes.
    Cayzle
    Cayzle's Wemic Site -- dishing liontaur stuff since 1999, a D&D blog since 2004, and a Web comic since 2007.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Erfworld the Game ... qua Game

Quote Originally Posted by Cayzle View Post
    Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but has any consideration been given to Erfworld the Game? I mean, an actual wargame with rules, tokens, hex-map, and everything you would need to play?

Looking at the most recent strip (page 56) brings back memories of fantasy wargames of yore. SPI's War of the Ring. Divine Right. Fellowship of the Ring. Titan. Dragon Pass.

If the authors have actual rules to publish, I for one would buy the game. If not, I wish I had time to reverse engineer the rules from the strip, but alas for wishes.
    I believe the final conclusion that was reached is that no such game will be available until the comic is over...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    I believe the final conclusion that was reached is that no such game will be available until the comic is over...
    And by that time we will have reverse engineered all the rules already and will be arguing how "Parson can't do that in comic #127 because the rules say...".
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysar View Post
    Hmmmm... The act of posting the theory prevents the theory from coming true.

Holy crap, it's Schrödinger's Spoiler!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
    And by that time we will have reverse engineered all the rules already and will be arguing how "Parson can't do that in comic #127 because the rules say...".
    Actually, I'd bet real money that this wouldn't be the case. The rules governing Erfworld are an integral part of the story, unlike OOtS where the rules are loose and part of the joke. I think Rob intended for the strategy to be very real, so that the story could be examined and enjoyed on multiple levels (the story, the pop culture references, and the gaming itself). I suspect there are some real strategy gamers behind Rob's writing, or perhaps Rob himself, creating these detailed plans and scenarios that are absolutely within the rules of the "game".
    If you can read this you are too close.

5. - Top - End - #5

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the rules governing Erfworld were originally used in a homebrew tabletop game played by Rob and his friends. At any rate, I think Nintendo should start looking into licensing a DS version of Erfworld.. 'twould be a major hit, methinks.

6. - Top - End - #6

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sky_Schemer View Post
    Actually, I'd bet real money that this wouldn't be the case. The rules governing Erfworld are an integral part of the story, unlike OOtS where the rules are loose and part of the joke. I think Rob intended for the strategy to be very real, so that the story could be examined and enjoyed on multiple levels (the story, the pop culture references, and the gaming itself). I suspect there are some real strategy gamers behind Rob's writing, or perhaps Rob himself, creating these detailed plans and scenarios that are absolutely within the rules of the "game".
    well, i was trying to be funny, but i was thinking along the same lines that this actually is a homebrew TTS game. I truly hope that by the end of this all the rules will be available (either from the aforementioned reverse engineers or for purchase). Maybe I can script it in Second Life and we can all play (assuming granted permission)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alysar View Post
    Hmmmm... The act of posting the theory prevents the theory from coming true.

Holy crap, it's Schrödinger's Spoiler!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosomatic View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that the rules governing Erfworld were originally used in a homebrew tabletop game played by Rob and his friends. At any rate, I think Nintendo should start looking into licensing a DS version of Erfworld.. 'twould be a major hit, methinks.
    MMO! Enough said right there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    MMO! Enough said right there.
    Nerf Dwagons

STFU boopface, Dwagons are fine, learn2play

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Thanks everybody for some good thoughts. I especially hope that a real wargame with real rules does emerge eventually. And if it does happen on computer, I pray that it will nonetheless keep the hex based map, stacking rules, and all the other elements that hearken back to the old chit-on-a-hex-grid model of wargame.
    Cayzle
    Cayzle's Wemic Site -- dishing liontaur stuff since 1999, a D&D blog since 2004, and a Web comic since 2007.