New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default In need of some spells 3.5

I am playing a sorcerer / swiftblade i need to plan out my spells from level 1n 20. My cha mod is 6 i was thinking besides the neccisary haste. Wraithstrike could be nice any other spells i should consider?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: In need of some spells 3.5

Note that I'm assuming you want to go melee when suggesting these spells. If you don't, this list becomes less useful.

Enlarge Person is useful from first level on.
    (Greater) Mage Armor helps until you get your hands on a twilight mithril breastplate or somesuch. If you want to take some levels in Abjurant Champion, try to get your DM to count it as abjuration.
    If you're Good, Luminous Armor is an improved version of mage armor.
    Fist of Stone is a wonderful buff.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just a few that I really like (one suggestion for each spell level):

• Mage Hand, Greater (Sorcerer 1), Spell Compendium p. 136
    • Whirling Blade (Sorcerer 2), Complete Arcane p. 129
    • Bite of the Wererat (Sorcerer 3), Spell Compendium p. 28
    • Invisibility, Greater (Sorcerer 4), PH p. 245
    • Lightning Leap (Sorcerer 5), Complete Mage p. 109
    • Dispel Magic, Greater (Sorcerer 6), PH p. 223
    • Project Image (Sorcerer 7), PH p. 265
    • Moment of Prescience (Sorcerer 8), PH p. 255
    • Invisibility, Superior (Sorcerer 9), Complete Arcane p. 125

Some of these work very well with Swiftblade, some can save your life, and some are just plain useful.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Chester; 2016-04-02 at 07:24 AM.
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Rather than running the "actual weapon" treadmill, I prefer spells that are better than weapons. Wraithstrike is mad, but still requires you to use a weapon and Power Attack like a chump. You could at least go for style with Spectral Weapon, which lasts multiple rounds and springs out of nothing.

Storm Touch and Scalding Touch (Magic of Eberron, 5th and 7th) are crazy good for anyone who can stomach melee, and only get moreso when you have more attacks and more moving and attacking. Why swing a sword when you can lightly tap someone several times until they die?

Over to SpC, Thunderlance at 4th also not bad, tons of reach and benefits from extra attacks and skirmish just like everything else while also using cl+cha for attack rolls. Flame Whips at the same level looks like it might be better thanks to touch attacks (the original Thunderlance was also touch actually), but it has ambiguous wordings and has a heck of a time finding ways around fire resistance so not so much.

If you're actually packing some str and dex, Giant's Wrath (at 3rd) is a lot better than I used to give it credit for. Up to +10 on the hit and damage roll adds up pretty fast and with extra attacks you can just lob them all out there.

Scimitar of Sand (Sandstorm, 2nd) is untyped and drops a fatigue effect on every hit (unlike Flame Dagger which is fire and has no rider), or Blade of Pain and Fear (SpC, 3rd) has a shorter duration but also a save-or-run-away-and-get-AoO'd on every hit and is even a force effect.

The Celerity (PHB2) line of spells is on-theme (and totally broken). Of note: it might seem like you could use Lesser Celerity to reliably trigger not-skirmish on ranged full attacks the same way they use the psionic power Hustle, but unfortunately you're dazed as soon as you finish the move so that won't work. More immediate action spells include Wings of Cover from Races of the Dragon (sorc only!), and Ruin Delver's Fortune (SpC). Arcane Fusion (Complete Mage, also sorc only) lets you cram even more spells into a round, but relies on knowing more direct effect spells and isn't as useful if you're loaded up on buffs for gishing.

Note on Luminous Armor/Greater Luminous Armor: best armor spells in the game, not actually sorcerer available. Sanctified spells are only available to prepared casters, so sorcerers specifically have to take Exalted Arcanist in order to get them.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 Re: In need of some spells 3.5

I like to focus on the utility side of things with a sorcerer, spells that one could get as much use out of as possible, or are just too good not to use:

9TH-LEVEL
    • gate (Travel the stars and call extraplanar aid.)
    • shapechange (Become [almost] anything.)
    • time stop (Great for setting up battlefield control spells or performing quick actions undetected.)

8TH-LEVEL
    • mind blank (Immunity to mind-affecting and scrying spells and effects? Yes, please.)
    • polymorph any object (If for no other reason than because it can replicate half-a-dozen other spells. See if you can get the referee to update 2nd Edition's transmute water to dust.)
    • Otto's irresistible dance (Prevent a foe from attacking, give him a penalty to AC and Reflex, and make him provoke attacks of opportunity. If you can't go archmage/arcane reach, maybe Arcane Thesis and Reach Spell? Alternatively go for the more old-fashioned Tharizdun's maddening scream. No attack of opportunity provoking, but foe only succeeds on Reflex saves on a 20.)

7TH-LEVEL
    • greater scrying (Should be a convenient way to locate foes and other important persons.)
    • greater teleport (When you need to get there yesterday… well, that'd be teleport through time.)
    • limited wish (Even a 300 XP cost can bite, but it can also help you out in a pinch.)

6TH-LEVEL
    • disintegrate (Highly damaging to low-Fortitude foes, and good against objects or as a weaker excavate.)
    • greater dispel magic (Good for shutting down magical defenses.)
    • Rary's interplanar telepathic bond (Probably better prepared by the party wizard, but good just in case the party gets separated across planes.)

5TH-LEVEL
    • telekinesis (As confounding as grappling rules can be, as Tandem the Spoony said, "they don't teach mixed martial arts at Hogwarts." Hard for anyone to cast spells when you're Force choking them.)

4TH-LEVEL
    • enervation (A little bit of negative energy never hurt anyone… undead, anyway.)
    • greater invisibility (Your rogue/sneak attacker will love you for this.)
    • polymorph (Most anyone will love you for this.)

3RD-LEVEL
    • fly (It's falling… with style.)
    • greater mage armor (That extra bit of protection can go a long way, and can be cast on the party's familiars, animal companions, and special mounts; the latter scenario could call for mass mage armor, instead.)
    • haste (Another spell your party will love you for.)
    • protection from energy ('Cause you never know when you're going to be out of the frying pan and into the fire. Curse those calzone golems!)

2ND-LEVEL
    • false life (A quick boost to health couldn't hurt, though it might be better to carry a wand instead.)
    • invisibility (Lasts longer than the greater version if all you're doing is sneaking, and this version can be cast on objects, even permanently. What crown jewels?)
    • locate object (Another one that could be better off in wizard or wand form, but at the very least you can't complain about not finding what you need. "Oh, you mean this gate key?")

1ST-LEVEL
    • endure elements (Because freezing and sweltering is for commoners.)
    • feather fall (You can't always have fly/polymorph on, especially in the off chance you're knocked off a high place. You know it's going to happen. Plus the spell can be cast upon others, in case someone else gets knocked off of said high place.)
    • grease (Good for making foes fall on their ass, also good for greasing up one's armor to help an ally escape a grapple, bindings, etc.)
    • shield (A necessity if you plan on going abjurant champion. +9 shield bonus as a swift action can't be beat.)

0-LEVEL
    • prestidigitation (It has more uses than it has syllables… and it has a lot of syllables!)
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Can't Sorcerers get access to Sanctified and Corrupt spells via the Arcane Preparation feat?

Can you full-attack with a Blade of Pain and Fear (note: it only negates your STR modifier, which isn't a big issue in a Weapon Finesse build)?