New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Dr. Strange Teaser

Marvel promised no more origin movies... almost all we saw in the trailer was origin... all we need is an outsider for strange to talk to, somone like the night nurse who he can explain stuff to...
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I don't get why people are saying Cumberbatch doesn't look like Strange. In costume, he pretty much exactly matches my mental image.
    I don't really either. Granted no one's going to look exactly like line-art, and Cumberbatch is in his late 30's with rather younger-looking features while Strange is generally presented somewhat more aged - albeit ambiguous so - with sharper features. However, he's still well within the realm of believability for me. Much better fit than casting him as Khan.

Spoiler
    Show

Though, as mentioned, he's got a deeper-than-you'd-think-by-looking-at-him voice and can do gravitas, two things which potentially allow you to take him a bit more seriously when working with otherwise kind of silly material. Also not a bad actor, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by HardcoreD&Dgirl View Post
    Marvel promised no more origin movies... almost all we saw in the trailer was origin... all we need is an outsider for strange to talk to, somone like the night nurse who he can explain stuff to...
    That's just something Devin Faraci said on a podcast, no such promise was made as far I can tell.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2016-04-14 at 07:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

No they did not.

For some reason, people sometimes talked about how we're not doing an origin story, we're bored of origin stories. I think people are bored of origin stories they've seen before or origin stories that are overly familiar. Doctor Strange has one of the best, most classic, most unique origin stories of any hero we have, so why wouldn't we do that? That was sort of always the plan. How you tell that origin, perhaps there are ways to twist it or play with that, but for the most part, it's a gift when the comics have something with such clarity of story and of character. That doesn't always happen in the comics, and when it does, you use it.
    -Kevin Feige

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

...all we need is an outsider for strange to talk to, somone like the night nurse who he can explain stuff to...
    Isn't that Wong's role? To be the Watson to Strange's Holmes?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Isn't that Wong's role? To be the Watson to Strange's Holmes?
    Wong can be Watson, but not an audience seragat. It make little sense for Strange to explain to him in dialog the basics that an outsider could get...

Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    No they did not.

-Kevin Feige
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/ma...doctor-strange

"Marvel's new thing is no more origin stories. So Doctor Strange's movie no longer has an origin. It begins in media res [literary term for "in the midst of things"]. It's got Doctor Strange all ready established as The Sorcerer Supreme. It's a totally new script [...] without any of the previous stuff. They're not even touching the previous script." Read more at: https://tr.im/MD9dA
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

That's not a promise from Marvel. That's a piece of errant speculation from film reviewer.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Saw the trailer. Semi-legit, I'm moderately interested, we'll see if future trailers hold up. My only knock on it is that it feels like they kind of ripped off the visuals from Inception. But we'll see where it goes.

I'm still a bit skeptical about Benedict Cumberbundcabbagepatch as a superhero, but he's fantastic as Sherlock Holmes so I'm willing to give him a shot.

And yeah, Marvel never promised no more origin stories. Since Dr Strange has very little name recognition outside comic book fans, you're pretty much forced to do an origin story.

And they're going to have to do at least 1 more since Captain Marvel is scheduled and that's another hero with not a lot of name recognition outside comic book fans.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-04-14 at 09:27 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth, I can hardly wait!!!
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    And they're going to have to do at least 1 more since Captain Marvel is scheduled and that's another hero with not a lot of name recognition outside comic book fans.
    I could easily see them introducing Carol Danvers as a character at any point after she's been cast (which is this summer, apparently). Most plausibly this introduction would be in the first Avengers: Infinity War movie, since that's the one that's going to get the most butts in seats and thus the best set up for a solo movie with a kind-of-unknown character.

With the studio producing something like Vision's origin in Age of Ultron to get the whole power-genesis thing across and establish the character for her own film... because, well, Carol doesn't have much of an origin story. She was already an existing character when they decided to make into a hero later, there wasn't the same need to establish her or setup her motivation, at least in theory.

The harder bit would be if they wanted to introduce Mar-Vell as part of her story, which they could easily do in a cosmic-centred story like the next Avengers movie.

10. - Top - End - #70

Don't forget the entirety of the Inhumans.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't forget the entirety of the Inhumans.
    Well... yes and no. They've already established in the Marvel universe exactly where the Inhumans come from and how they got their powers. So they don't need an origin story.

They just need backstory for the characters they choose to introduce. And even then its debatable how much backstory you really need for a movie.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

12. - Top - End - #72

Well... yes and no. They've already established in the Marvel universe exactly where the Inhumans come from and how they got their powers. So they don't need an origin story.

They just need backstory for the characters they choose to introduce. And even then its debatable how much backstory you really need for a movie.
    Like you said, yes and no. They establish it in the TV side of the MCU which though legitimately is connected to all the movie stuff I'm pretty confident that not everyone who watches the movies also fallows the show so I'm pretty sure for something that complicated they would have to go into it in more then just some brief detail. Who and what the Inhumans are is way to big to just handwave away with "Oh we already explained this somewhere else, lets move on.".
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-04-15 at 12:14 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Like you said, yes and no. They establish it in the TV side of the MCU which though legitimately is connected to all the movie stuff I'm pretty confident that not everyone who watches the movies also fallows the show so I'm pretty sure for something that complicated they would have to go into it in more then just some brief detail. Who and what the Inhumans are is way to big to just handwave away with "Oh we already explained this somewhere else, lets move on.".
    They could easily just do a 5 minutes exposition showing the ceremony of them receiving their powers with a couple ceremonious lines about how the Inhumans have been around for centuries. That would be plenty for the movie to establish where they get their powers from.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

The interesting bit is whether they'll acknowledge what's occurred on Agents of SHIELD at all. The movie department of Marvel Studios seems rather adverse to connecting themselves to anything from their television department, the Avengers likely still believe Phil Coulson's dead for instance.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Well, I mean, it's true he doesn't look like Strange in the slightest, but on the other hand, his work voicing Smaug makes me think he might be one of a short list of actors that are huge enough dorks that they can yell Strange-isms and believe in them. Not everyone can go BY THE HOARY HOSTS OF HOGGOTH and sell it. Looks are secondary, in the end.
    Mmmh.

... Okay, that's true.

In fact, all those cheesy lines would sound absolutely ridiculous if delivered by someone who can't do good voice work.

Ouch man, you just managed to completely convince me xDD

I don't get why people are saying Cumberbatch doesn't look like Strange. In costume, he pretty much exactly matches my mental image.
    Well, to me Strange always looked as if he had a square for a head. Cumberbatch's head just isn't rectangular enough. (I'm only partially joking xD.)

Check out my comic!
    (Disclaimer: comic may or may not contain fortune-tellers in any way.)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    The interesting bit is whether they'll acknowledge what's occurred on Agents of SHIELD at all. The movie department of Marvel Studios seems rather adverse to connecting themselves to anything from their television department, the Avengers likely still believe Phil Coulson's dead for instance.
    There was recently an article on this over on io9. In an interview, Kevin Feige - president of Marvel Studios and spearhead behind the MCU - commented that the basic problem is that (1) the movies are planned much further in advance than the shows (including both AoS and the various Netflix series), and (2) making arrangements between the MCU and the various series would limit the series in terms of storytelling.

Which makes sense. The movies have been plotted out years in advance. Sure, the details of the stories are likely to vary, but the general arcs have all been planned out fairly thoroughly. Even though we only know bits (like movie titles), we can see that. If the MCU reached over into the series, they would have to tell them, "Okay, you need to build up to this event. Whatever story you're telling, it has to work around to this specific thing." That kind of makes full-blown interactions tricky.

I mean, there are little things in the series and movies. Easter eggs. Like when AoS mentioned "gang violence in Hell's Kitchen" on the news broadcast in that Watchdogs episode. But a proper interaction between the two is hard. They've pulled that off three times - once, when the series first premiered; once, in response to Winter Soldier (which is when the series really took off), and once, in response to Thor: the Dark World (which, if you never saw that movie, had no impact whatsoever). I think that's about the extent of what we can expect; those sort of throwaway reactions.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I mean, there are little things in the series and movies. Easter eggs. Like when AoS mentioned "gang violence in Hell's Kitchen" on the news broadcast in that Watchdogs episode. But a proper interaction between the two is hard. They've pulled that off three times - once, when the series first premiered; once, in response to Winter Soldier (which is when the series really took off), and once, in response to Thor: the Dark World (which, if you never saw that movie, had no impact whatsoever). I think that's about the extent of what we can expect; those sort of throwaway reactions.
    There's also the Avengers 2 tie-in, which was kind of a throw-away as well; that seemed perfect for a kind of quick cameo of some of the Agents of SHIELD to appear.

Sif also has appeared twice. I think it's more likely to be a one-way street; TV can use the bits and pieces from the movies, since they're more nimble and are writing/shooting closer to the air date, so they can react.

Spoiler: Just in case, minor plotpoint
    Show

It was revealed in Agents of SHIELD that Coulson was the one who rebuilt the helicarrier for Fury to save the day.
    Last edited by Joran; 2016-04-15 at 11:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

There was recently an article on this over on io9. In an interview, Kevin Feige - president of Marvel Studios and spearhead behind the MCU - commented that the basic problem is that (1) the movies are planned much further in advance than the shows (including both AoS and the various Netflix series), and (2) making arrangements between the MCU and the various series would limit the series in terms of storytelling.

Which makes sense. The movies have been plotted out years in advance. Sure, the details of the stories are likely to vary, but the general arcs have all been planned out fairly thoroughly. Even though we only know bits (like movie titles), we can see that. If the MCU reached over into the series, they would have to tell them, "Okay, you need to build up to this event. Whatever story you're telling, it has to work around to this specific thing." That kind of makes full-blown interactions tricky.
    I understand there are logistical issues, and that the universe is complex enough with 12 going on 20 movies without bringing in the rest of it into their long form story-telling. Expecting them to be tightly knit would be just really wishful thinking, and the Netflix series generally benefit from how tangential their relationship has been to everything else.

The bigger issue I am having is I'm increasingly under the impression that the reason AoS keeps contriving means of killing its new Inhumans in the way it's been doing is so the movies can ignore them with some justification - and that's going to go allllll~ the way to Inhuman movie - rather than integrating those events into their cinematic meta-narrative somehow. Maybe I'm wrong and Civil War will be the first to reference the Inhumans popping up and thus tie those events to the wider universe, but it seemed like something of real wave-making was allowed to happen on AoS for the MCU in general last season but I'm genuinely doubtful if any of it is going to splash on the beaches of anywhere else.

Those are all the television department referencing the movies, The movies don't even slightly allude to the events of the television or Netflix series. I expect something related to Civil War on AoS in the next three weeks as well.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Spamalot in the Playground

No.

No they did not.

-Kevin Feige
    This. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    There's also the Avengers 2 tie-in, which was kind of a throw-away as well; that seemed perfect for a kind of quick cameo of some of the Agents of SHIELD to appear.

Sif also has appeared twice. I think it's more likely to be a one-way street; TV can use the bits and pieces from the movies, since they're more nimble and are writing/shooting closer to the air date, so they can react.

Spoiler: Just in case, minor plotpoint
    Show

It was revealed in Agents of SHIELD that Coulson was the one who rebuilt the helicarrier for Fury to save the day.
    Also, the beginning of AoU ties to AoS.

All I need is a better look at the moustache in a moving scene and I'm there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

The bigger issue I am having is I'm increasingly under the impression that the reason AoS keeps contriving means of killing its new Inhumans in the way it's been doing is so the movies can ignore them with some justification - and that's going to go allllll~ the way to Inhuman movie - rather than integrating those events into their cinematic meta-narrative somehow. Maybe I'm wrong and Civil War will be the first to reference the Inhumans popping up and thus tie those events to the wider universe, but it seemed like something of real wave-making was allowed to happen on AoS for the MCU in general last season but I'm genuinely doubtful if any of it is going to splash on the beaches of anywhere else.
    They almost certainly won't because it's not to their advantage to. It's just inelegant for the studio to proxy anything they intent upon a series which is significantly more niche. What winking nods we've gotten have been just that, winks. Explanations for things the films don't actually have to explain. So brief as the movie only goer (of which there are a considerable number) never risks being alienated by seeing anything substantial that would require them to do some secondary viewing. It's probably going to play out in a very similar fashion to Star Wars Rebels , a modest return of a media juggernaut which likely only be obliquely alluded to in Rogue One.

Whatever it's actual quality, Agents of Shield is not particularly well kept in the public consciousness, mostly an afterthought to the core endeavors of the films and even to Netflix's darlings of darker well written storytelling. When I went to the opening for Batman V Superman, (my tickets were free and it was my friend's birthday, shut up) you could hear the trickling in the background as fans talked about the other superhero films this year and debated Daredevil's second season's slightly more mixed reception. I've never heard anyone talk about AoS in meatspace even at events like this besides my friends who are dedicated watchers. I don't hear about it in conventions randomly except at the panels explicitly for it. Why go to all the effort to tie it in when it's mostly a zero sum game for the studio? The dedicated AoS is coming to the theater anyway.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

They almost certainly won't because it's not to their advantage to. It's just inelegant for the studio to proxy anything they intent upon a series which is significantly more niche. What winking nods we've gotten have been just that, winks. Explanations for things the films don't actually have to explain. So brief as the movie only goer (of which there are a considerable number) never risks being alienated by seeing anything substantial that would require them to do some secondary viewing. It's probably going to play out in a very similar fashion to Star Wars Rebels , a modest return of a media juggernaut which likely only be obliquely alluded to in Rogue One.

Whatever it's actual quality, Agents of Shield is not particularly well kept in the public consciousness, mostly an afterthought to the core endeavors of the films and even to Netflix's darlings of darker well written storytelling. When I went to the opening for Batman V Superman, (my tickets were free and it was my friend's birthday, shut up) you could hear the trickling in the background as fans talked about the other superhero films this year and debated Daredevil's second season's slightly more mixed reception. I've never heard anyone talk about AoS in meatspace even at events like this besides my friends who are dedicated watchers. I don't hear about it in conventions randomly except at the panels explicitly for it. Why go to all the effort to tie it in when it's mostly a zero sum game for the studio? The dedicated AoS is coming to the theater anyway.
    I can't really argue with that, I mostly think it myself - thus the doubtfulness - but it's kind of infuriating to have things actually seem to matter only to realize that they're pretty much in the same position they were in the first season. Being, essentially, MCU Agent Coulson fanfiction with a bunch of OCs.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

That just means that the show can't go concurrently with the movies. And that it is very difficult to get the show to build up to a movie properly.

But it doesn't mean that the movies can't use what has already been presented in the show. It's much easier to base the movie on the show's canon because the movie isn't shot 1 episode at a time.

In this case we're talking about something that happened over a year ago, and is rock-solid canon and not changing (how the Inhumans get their powers).

The show isn't going to suddenly say LOL actually every 5 years the Inhumans build a particle accelerator and blow it up to irradiate everybody with particle accelerator ion thingies to trigger superpowers! And likewise if the Inhuman movie suddenly tries to do that it would cause significant fan backlash.

So an origin story is still unnecessary, the origin has been set for this incarnation of Marvel. To change it would require them to explicitly contradict the show's canon, which they seem extremely hesitant to do. So just a few minutes of recap would be enough to cover those who haven't seen the show.

Like I said, I really think that the best opening to the Inhuman movie would just be a few minutes of a ceremony with a couple lines about how, "Today as you take the Kree crystal and receive your powers, you will take your place among your predecessors who have been using their powers for XXXX for over XXXX years."

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

In before DOCTOR STRANGE TRAINED BY WHITE MAN WHY HOLLYWOOD CRAM DIVERSITY DOWN THROAT!!!11!!!

Lots of actors I'd watch read the phone book. Not much to get excited about in the teaser, it could have been someone with a GoPro and an afternoon for Cumberbatch :) Not really sure how filmable various Strange stories are or what they'll do with him, but then they're trying to do some things I think are really unfilmable like the Infinity War (which wasn't really comic-able either).

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LokeyITP View Post
    In before DOCTOR STRANGE TRAINED BY WHITE MAN WHY HOLLYWOOD CRAM DIVERSITY DOWN THROAT!!!11!!!

Lots of actors I'd watch read the phone book. Not much to get excited about in the teaser, it could have been someone with a GoPro and an afternoon for Cumberbatch :) Not really sure how filmable various Strange stories are or what they'll do with him, but then they're trying to do some things I think are really unfilmable like the Infinity War (which wasn't really comic-able either).
    Well it's been three pages, so that probably wasn't happening here. I do know there was some minor controversy online concerning that the ancient one should be played an Asian actor along with the usual irritation about another white male. Strange I rather like the casting for, as I also think appearance wise he's relatively fitting and Cumberbatch has the gravitas to pull this off.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

There were some slight Mighty Whitey implications back in the day, but unless I'm remembering it incorrectly, the magic of Dr. Strange has no particularly flavour, Asian or otherwise. The Ancient One was Tibetan, but ANYONE with sufficient magical talent could become the Sorceror Supreme, and his opponents were Cthulhu-esque demon lord-types.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-04-15 at 04:38 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

(Please don't let the thread get diverted into a race and gender argument, please don't let the thread get...)

*Rocks back and forth, staring wide-eyed into space and muttering*

Ahem.

As far as Cumberbatch's appearance goes, I'd say that pretty soon he will be the defining appearance for the character. And looking at the old comic art of the guy, I'd say that's a good thing. He looks like a rectangular with some black points glued onto it in the older comic at least. Though I guess the white sidewalls are good for a snicker.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

I like Tilda Swinton enough that I'd be fine with her playing Strange.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

I like Tilda Swinton enough that I'd be fine with her playing Strange.
    I dunno.

Bald Tilda Swinton kind of creeps me out.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Spamalot in the Playground

Ancient One was whitewashed, which makes me sad, but also gender-flipped, which makes me glad. So it's a wash imo, with the wash becoming a win because Tilda Swinton.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

I just hope they make a really weird and interesting opponent (like aforementioned Dormammu or whatever).

I mean, I'm an extraordinary fan of Guardians of the Galaxy, but the adversary is ... a blue guy? We need some really outlandish critters in some of these films -- otherwise, what are those special effects budgets for? painting someone blue? Or green? Or purple?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark