New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Ponaria: Symphony of the Neigh [IC II]

Spirit nods at the Paladins. "Indeed. Information would have saved us time and effort, but gathering information through mundane channels could have cost lives. If only there were some kind of magical way to gather lots of information in a very short timeframe..." he shakes his head. "Ah, ignore me. I'm just some fool trying to tell you there's more than one school you might enjoy, Ace. Zombies and curses are one thing, but Divination means no longer being afraid. Of others, yourself, the future, or a simple monster hiding in a dungeon. Given your nightmares, reaction down there, and dealings with others... But really, it's your call. I shouldn't be trying to dance around and lean you to one school or the other. Heh. It's this pony tradition of half-truths all over again." He looks at the sky, dark as it is. "Maybe I'm just afraid to see what we've wrought in the village below."

Nonetheless, after a moment, he trots towards the inn, keeping an eye out to assess the state of the town. Best safe than sorry.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d4+5)[8]+(1d20)[7]
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    Crossguard chuckles. "Typically, young apprentice, it's a yard."
    (3d20)[23]
    "A yard? Huh, I didn't know that," Ace replies. "Back at the college we'd be lucky enough to have 3 inches. Okay, will try to keep myself spaced apart." Ace mentally calculates a good focal point to walk alongside the party to be equidistant to everyone adjacent to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    "...did we ever find out who the flour writer was? I think we need to get back to town and ask around. Or at least see if the inn has a warm bed... and see if it's still broken now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    He looks at the sky, dark as it is. "Maybe I'm just afraid to see what we've wrought in the village below."

Nonetheless, after a moment, he trots towards the inn, keeping an eye out to assess the state of the town. Best safe than sorry.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (3d20)[23]+(3d20)[28]
    (3d20)[28]
    As the party returns to the village they spot the activity of many ponies gathered around the inn, perhaps the entire village population. They look pale and weak, with dozens of them curled up on blankets all over the floor by the fireplace. Many are being fed a watery stew and bread by the few clergy of the only church here and by the cook. Outside on the porch is a small stack of pony bodies, perhaps a little more than a dozen, covered completely in blankets. The head priest of the church is reading last rites from a book.

As you approach the villages all begin to cower, fear in their eyes. Two farmers with pitch forks make shields of themselves to protect the children as they eye you with suspicion.

"W-who are you?" one armed farmer asks warily.

Spoiler: Spirit Only
    Show
    Spirit notices that one of the dead bodies under the blankets is actually one of the three ponies that had confronted the group outside the Sleepy Salamander the night of Ace's kidnapping.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #33

Spirit raises his hooves in a non-threatening manner. "We are travelers and healers. We heard of a curse on this land and ponies in need, and we came to help. Perhaps more importantly, we've brought food."

Spirit reaches into his pack and fumbles out the 7 barely-touched pony food rations that he's been carrying, before digging through his packs and muttering to himself as an invocation to fill one last sack with Goodberries. When he 'finds' it, he lays it on the ground, letting the 20 large fruit in the bag show to his questioner.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    As the party returns to the village they spot the activity of many ponies gathered around the inn, perhaps the entire village population. They look pale and weak, with dozens of them curled up on blankets all over the floor by the fireplace. Many are being fed a watery stew and bread by the few clergy of the only church here and by the cook. Outside on the porch is a small stack of pony bodies, perhaps a little more than a dozen, covered completely in blankets. The head priest of the church is reading last rites from a book.
    Beryl, having removed her mask as they left the tomb, looks at the scene and quietly mutters "...oh no."

Spirit raises his hooves in a non-threatening manner. "We are travelers and healers. We heard of a curse on this land and ponies in need, and we came to help. Perhaps more importantly, we've brought food."

Spirit reaches into his pack and fumbles out the 7 barely-touched pony food rations that he's been carrying, before digging through his packs and muttering to himself as an invocation to fill one last sack with Goodberries. When he 'finds' it, he lays it on the ground, letting the 20 large fruit in the bag show to his questioner.
    "I am Beryl, Paladin in training. I mean no harm. How can I help?" Beryl adds. Though she wonders if it will be her skills as a baker that will be of use here.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Crossguard trots up. "I am Crossguard Platine, Knight of the Sun. Is there any way that my friends and I can help?"
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

6. - Top - End - #36

"I am Beryl, Paladin in training. I mean no harm. How can I help?" Beryl adds. Though she wonders if it will be her skills as a baker that will be of use here.
    Crossguard trots up. "I am Crossguard Platine, Knight of the Sun. Is there any way that my friends and I can help?"
    The two farmers look the party over and relent. "Alright... if any of you know your way around curses or illness, see what you can do to help the weakest ones. Food seems to help a bit." They stand aside for any to enter. You can see that Trace is already inside chatting with several ponies.

The head priest of the village finishes reading and comes over to the party. He is a fairly tall earth pony, with well-defined muscle tone and a few scars on his forelegs. "I couldn't help but overhear that two among you are a paladin and a Knight of the Sun. Such prestigious ponies do not come here to assist unless they know of troubles. Pray tell me, did you just arrive, or were you here much earlier this night?"
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2016-04-22 at 04:12 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #37

Spirit knocks his hoof against a nearby piece of wood to the tune of 'Shave and a Haircut', quietly gauging the priest's reaction, before taking his nutritionally-complete food to the weak ones and plying what skills he has to help.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6] Insight to see if the priest responds
    (1d4+5)[7]+(1d20)[5] Herbalism to tend to the ill
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The two farmers look the party over and relent. "Alright... if any of you know your way around curses or illness, see what you can do to help the weakest ones. Food seems to help a bit." They stand aside for any to enter. You can see that Trace is already inside chatting with several ponies.

The head priest of the village finishes reading and comes over to the party. He is a fairly tall earth pony, with well-defined muscle tone and a few scars on his forelegs. "I couldn't help but overhear that two among you are a paladin and a Knight of the Sun. Such prestigious ponies do not come here to assist unless they know of troubles. Pray tell me, did you just arrive, or were you here much earlier this night?"
    Beryl nods "Yes, we were here a few hours ago, and nopony was here. Though my Paladin senses were going crazy. We tried using the bell in the inn to talk with you, then covered the floor in flour, where somepony scribbled that we had to go to the Barrows." Beryl takes a breath. "We found out somepony had broken in and cast a terrible curse somehow. But we managed to break it, at least I think we did. You're all visible and here again. That's at least better than before."

Beryl then quickly adds "Cross, could you check? My sense is still numb after last time..."

9. - Top - End - #39

Spirit knocks his hoof against a nearby piece of wood to the tune of 'Shave and a Haircut', quietly gauging the priest's reaction, before taking his nutritionally-complete food to the weak ones and plying what skills he has to help.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    [roll0] Insight to see if the priest responds
    [roll1]+[roll2] Herbalism to tend to the ill
    The priest gives Spirit a confused look, followed by two hoof stomps on a rock. tap tap He then gets it. "Ah, I believe Lima was making that same rhythm when we were trapped."

Tending to the ill, Spirit knows what to do. Wherever the residents went, they were subjected to necrotic effects. For some, breaking the curse could not have come soon enough.

Beryl nods "Yes, we were here a few hours ago, and nopony was here. Though my Paladin senses were going crazy. We tried using the bell in the inn to talk with you, then covered the floor in flour, where somepony scribbled that we had to go to the Barrows." Beryl takes a breath. "We found out somepony had broken in and cast a terrible curse somehow. But we managed to break it, at least I think we did. You're all visible and here again. That's at least better than before."
    The priest smiles. "That is likely I who wrote on the flour. We were trapped in... well, I'm not sure how much you know of planar cosmology, but imagine a copy of this place made of pure shadows. Everything was cold, dark, and we could feel it leeching our life-force. We saw some strange lights moving around in the inn and I guess those lights were you. Your voice only came through as garbled echos, unintelligible. The inn cook threw several tables over hoping to get your attention to where the source of this curse might be from in the barrows, but you seemed to linger. An interesting, if dangerous, aspect of the plane was that the more you move about and try to interact with it, the faster it leeches your life. I was lucky to have the strength to write the words I did on the... well I see now it was flour you poured. Good thinking there."
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2016-04-23 at 08:10 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Crossguard nods. "We'd gotten wind of an attempt on the contents of the Barrows, and moved to try and prevent it." She closes her eyes, and opens them to her Divine Sense.
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The priest smiles. "That is likely I who wrote on the flour. We were trapped in... well, I'm not sure how much you know of planar cosmology, but imagine a copy of this place made of pure shadows. Everything was cold, dark, and we could feel it leeching our life-force. We saw some strange lights moving around in the inn and I guess those lights were you. Your voice only came through as garbled echos, unintelligible. The inn cook threw several tables over hoping to get your attention to where the source of this curse might be from in the barrows, but you seemed to linger. An interesting, if dangerous, aspect of the plane was that the more you move about and try to interact with it, the faster it leeches your life. I was lucky to have the strength to write the words I did on the... well I see now it was flour you poured. Good thinking there."
    "Thanks. Spirit and me tried to find out if the shadows we saw here were somepony or not, but I'm sorry we took so long to figure it out. Thank you for telling us how urgent it was to get there. We might have lingered... too long... if you hadn't."

Beryl looks around the area, at the weakened ponies, and those who didn't make it. This was a win... but a bittersweet one.

She then adds "My Paladin powers are... almost completely drained. Breaking that curse was a difficult battle. But I am also a baker. If you want, I can lend a hoof to your cook? A warm meal and a kind word won't heal anypony directly... but it might help a little."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Frost doesn't have any healing or food so he decides to ask around to see if there's anything he can do to help.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can help with healing, too," Midnight says. "It sounds like your cook might be in need of the most urgent help, to start. Unless, uh..." He gestures at the pile of bodies.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

14. - Top - End - #44

Crossguard nods. "We'd gotten wind of an attempt on the contents of the Barrows, and moved to try and prevent it." She closes her eyes, and opens them to her Divine Sense.
    The aura of darkness is gone. The land looks cleansed of whatever curse was upon it. It is healing, living, and peaceful once again.

"Thanks. Spirit and me tried to find out if the shadows we saw here were somepony or not, but I'm sorry we took so long to figure it out. Thank you for telling us how urgent it was to get there. We might have lingered... too long... if you hadn't."

Beryl looks around the area, at the weakened ponies, and those who didn't make it. This was a win... but a bittersweet one.

She then adds "My Paladin powers are... almost completely drained. Breaking that curse was a difficult battle. But I am also a baker. If you want, I can lend a hoof to your cook? A warm meal and a kind word won't heal anypony directly... but it might help a little."
    "You and your friends have done more than enough as it is," the priest says. "I don't know what else we could ever ask of you, but, we would not stop you from cooking if you wish."

As the priest says this, Beryl can see a few ponies silently crying by the dead, family that has lost loved ones tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Frost doesn't have any healing or food so he decides to ask around to see if there's anything he can do to help.
    Frost happens to meet a farmer who needs help putting up some fallen fences to keep the cattle penned. He mentions, as he walks along, that he saw a small group of ponies leave the village to the east. About 4-5 ponies. They seemed not to have been hurt much by the curse, but only left once it was broken since they too were trapped with everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "I can help with healing, too," Midnight says. "It sounds like your cook might be in need of the most urgent help, to start. Unless, uh..." He gestures at the pile of bodies.
    The priest looks at the bodies. "Well, not much can be done with those for now. We just need to care for everyone so that the pile doesn't get larger."

Ace ends up wandering back and forth helping others where he can.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Frost happens to meet a farmer who needs help putting up some fallen fences to keep the cattle penned. He mentions, as he walks along, that he saw a small group of ponies leave the village to the east. About 4-5 ponies. They seemed not to have been hurt much by the curse, but only left once it was broken since they too were trapped with everyone else.
    Frost asks if they were local ponies or travellers who were just passing though. Was there anything notable about their attire or attitudes?
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"You and your friends have done more than enough as it is," the priest says. "I don't know what else we could ever ask of you, but, we would not stop you from cooking if you wish."

As the priest says this, Beryl can see a few ponies silently crying by the dead, family that has lost loved ones tonight.
    As Beryl sees the mourning ponies she sighs a little. "It's nice of you to say that, but looking at everypony here... it doesn't feel like I've done enough yet." Suddnely, Beryl catches herself yawning. "Sorry! Been a long day... I'll go help where I can."

With that, Beryl gives the priest a courteous nod and starts doing what she can. Talking with the chef, playing waitress and bringing food to the mourning ponies, but actually using that as a opener to just give them a chance to talk to a friendly face, and have a shoulder to cry on if they need. If anypony is injured, she'll use what she has left over from Lay on Hooves to heal it.

Beryl will likely keep doing this, despite getting more and more tired, until somepony tells her to stop.

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Frost asks if they were local ponies or travellers who were just passing though. Was there anything notable about their attire or attitudes?
    The farmer is quick to answer. "Oh I am positive those folks weren't from around here. They came as a bigger group, about twice the numbers that left, and had a couple carts filled with crates. Most folks thought they were just merchants passing through or something, but I had my suspicions. They were more interested setting camp up by the cemetery than staying at the inn. When the curse lifted and we all poofed back here, that group left with their carts. But it's like I said, half of them were missing."

"Speaking of camp, your group have a place for the night? It gets mighty chilly out here. I think the inn is gonna be crowded, so if you need some space, you can use the long house by my place. It's the dark brown house with the red roof over there. Usually where the part-time farm hands stay during harvest season, but they've all left for work elsewhere now. Ain't no one using it."

Beryl will likely keep doing this, despite getting more and more tired, until somepony tells her to stop.
    Ace notices sleepy-time Beryl and pulls her aside. "Hey, you don't look too well. I think you should lie down."
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #48

When Spirit has done all he can do for the various ill ponies under his care, he'll yawn and head back towards the rest of the party, aiming to find out if they rented the room this time.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ace notices sleepy-time Beryl and pulls her aside. "Hey, you don't look too well. I think you should lie down."
    "But I..." And Beryl's focus just fades away, revealing to her just how tired she really is. "...you're right. Thanks Ace. Let's go find the others, see if they've found somewhere to sleep." Beryl then lets out a really long and unrestrained yawn. One she had been suppressing for a while. "Oh, sorry about that." she mumbles afterwards. This has been a very long day...

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

The farmer is quick to answer. "Oh I am positive those folks weren't from around here. They came as a bigger group, about twice the numbers that left, and had a couple carts filled with crates. Most folks thought they were just merchants passing through or something, but I had my suspicions. They were more interested setting camp up by the cemetery than staying at the inn. When the curse lifted and we all poofed back here, that group left with their carts. But it's like I said, half of them were missing."

"Speaking of camp, your group have a place for the night? It gets mighty chilly out here. I think the inn is gonna be crowded, so if you need some space, you can use the long house by my place. It's the dark brown house with the red roof over there. Usually where the part-time farm hands stay during harvest season, but they've all left for work elsewhere now. Ain't no one using it."
    "That's great, thank you very much."

When Spirit has done all he can do for the various ill ponies under his care, he'll yawn and head back towards the rest of the party, aiming to find out if they rented the room this time.
    "But I..." And Beryl's focus just fades away, revealing to her just how tired she really is. "...you're right. Thanks Ace. Let's go find the others, see if they've found somewhere to sleep." Beryl then lets out a really long and unrestrained yawn. One she had been suppressing for a while. "Oh, sorry about that." she mumbles afterwards. This has been a very long day...
    Frost meets back up with the others after finishing up his work for the farmer. "A local farmer has offered us a place to stay for the night since the inn will be crowded. However, he also mentioned some that some ponies left right after the curse was lifted. About 10 of them arrived, half of them left, headed East. I'm guess the other half were the ones we found in the barrow. Apparantly they set up camp near the cemetery; might be worth checking out."
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Crossguard trots up after she is released from helping the citizenry. "Any news?" She asks.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Frost relays what he's just learned to Crossguard. "What do you think? Should we investigate their campground?"
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Spirit shakes his head. "We've been up for 18 hours and might miss something. Best let it wait for morning; little will happen to disturb the evidence, now that they've left. Besides, how well can you see in this light?"
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Spirit shakes his head. "We've been up for 18 hours and might miss something. Best let it wait for morning; little will happen to disturb the evidence, now that they've left. Besides, how well can you see in this light?"
    "Not well enough, but between me and Midnight, we can make enough light to allow us to see, but I agree."

25. - Top - End - #55

Ace Advice Scenes!

Ace felt a bit like a fifth wheel on a cart. He wasn’t knowledgeable in medicine nor a skilled cook. He settled on helping out in the one way he knew best-- being an errand colt. He fetched blankets for a cleric and chairs for a maid. A farmer asked him to find some buckets and fetch water from the well outside. All the while, Ace was thinking on what he could do to be of more value to his friends. Well, there was one thing.

He had been putting off the choice of which Arcane Tradition he should follow. The Master Librarian didn’t much care to steer her students into any particular school of magic. She just assumed every student would pick the tradition they felt most comfortable with and then she’d beat them into the ground with lessons until they either mastered the school or flunked out. For Ace, the choice would have been Necromancy.

However… his new friends seemed to have mixed feelings on that school of magic. It would be easy for him as he had a decent knack for it, but he didn’t want to put off the ponies that risked themselves just to save his life. Hmm, perhaps if he asked each of them for opinions on what they’d like to see Ace learn? Ace could then pick a school of magic that he could do a decent job at and make himself valuable to the party.

Spoiler: Ace/Beryl
    Show
    He first sought Beryl as she was nearest and close to the kitchen where the buckets were. The unicorn walked in front of her and nudged the pink pony closer to the pantry. I’m really sorry to bug you, Beryl, but I need some important advice. I have to write a thesis on a particular school of magic. It would have been Necromancy, because… well for one thing I hoped to use it in order to help my family’s farm. Crops die out pretty easily so I believed Necromancy could protect the life of the farm long enough for harvest season. Buuut some of you don’t feel comfortable and I don’t want to make anyone nervous. I think Spirit mentioned Divination, but I’m not sure. What would you suggest?

Beryl replied, “I don't know all that much about the different schools of magic. But Spirit had a point. We've run into traps more than once, and the bad guys always seem to be one step ahead of us. It would be nice to have a... Diviner I think he called it on our team. Catch them by surprise for once. Some ponies say that knowledge is power and it would be fun if you knew things that even the Master Librarian hadn't figured out yet, wouldn't it?” She pauses and continues, “If you do want to do the undead thing... I won't stop you. But I won't be happy with it either. It's your choice, though.

Ace responded with a hug. “Thanks. I don't know if I'll be a good Diviner, but I will try my best if that is my path. For the team!

Beryl returned the hug, and then afterwards she added, “Yeah, take it from a baker. There's not much of a market for undead flour. You could ask Spirit about helping plants grow, he might know about that.

Good point. I’ll do that,” Ace said. He grabbed two buckets and a pole to carry them on his back. With a nod, Ace trotted out of the inn, presumably to go find Spirit.

In reality… eh, well yeah he was going to find Spirit, but somehow Ace figured Spirit will just reaffirm what Beryl had already. Still, Ace had to be thorough in his endeavor because this choice would set his path fore the rest of his wizarding life! Also, undead flour sounded like an awful thing that would turn out terrible muffins. Mmm, the warm soft muffins Beryl made were really sweet. Much like her. Something about Beryl's optimism and determination was infectious, but in a good way. Maybe that's why he took such a shine to her. She had the prettiest personality of the group. Also, one heck of a baker. Why, Ace had never tasted-no wait, he had to focus here! He must concentrate on research, not muffins!

Spoiler: Ace/Spirit
    Show
    The unicorn found the zebra outside. It looked like Spirit was picking herbs for… well probably for medicines. Or a soup. Mmm… ugh! Ace physically slapped himself. He realized how hungry he was, but he needed to finish the tasks at hoof. Water and research first!

Hey Spirit?” Ace chirped up as he trotted over. “I wanted to talk to you about my studies. I feel that I've gotten far enough along in them that I should write my... well it is a kind of thesis. Where every young wizard chooses a school of magic to focus on and master. I've kind of put mine off a bit, but I should do that now. Thing is, I'm still hesitant on Divination. I know that you and some of the others think I could be good at predicting stuff, and getting info on the next tomb we break into before we run into the traps would be great, but…

The little unicorn dug at the ground. “Well, the only reason I studied Necromancy was because I thought it could help my family on their farm. Crops tend to be frail and I thought Necromancy could protect them so that we could harvest more in the season. However, I shouldn't ignore the stigma a lot of ponies put on it. I dunno, Spirit. I just want to be useful to my family but also to you and the others. Not sure what to do for a... middle ground.

Spirit smiled. “Ace. Bring me back to your family farm in the spring. I promise you, crops blessed by a Druid will not fail. With that said…” He thought for a moment. “Tell me, Ace. Have you thought of what happens when you keep a plant alive that wants to be dead? They still grow their crops, of course, but whatever problems were inhabiting the plant inhabit its fruit, as well. If they were getting no nutrients, the crops will be frail and lackluster, unpalatable to the taste. If they get little water, they will be shriveled and tasteless. If you force your plants to live, they will become an unkillable, blighted mass that spreads across the landscape, scavenging what resources they can from the soil from the other, natural plants in their wake. Necromancy is the school of pure air, of eternity; that which it creates does not leave this earth easily, if at all. With me, Ace, you know I don't care about your ponies' stigmas. I tell you not to focus in necromancy because I don't want to see you bound to a path leading to your sorrow.

Oh,” Ace muttered. “That… actually makes some sense.

Spirit took a breath. “There are... well. The way to best tend to your crops is fire.” He glanced at Ace's startled expression before he continued. “Not literally, of course, but the three elemental schools aligned with Fire. Fire is the element of life, of drive, of success. The three schools of fire, Evocation, Divination, and Transmutation, will be the best for your plants. Evocation, the school of fire and air, is the school to force the earth to bend to your crops. Using force to scoop better soil to the land, burning the chaff for stronger soil, of keeping the soil warm and loose for burgeoning seeds, of killing those insects which threaten your plants, and of claiming the land as your own.

“Divination, the school of fire aligned with fire, may perhaps be best. Think of it this way. Do you know why your crops are failing?

Ace shook his head. “Uh… maybe they’re infected by something?”

Are you sure that's the reason? And is this reason the same year after year? Glimpsing the future as your family works the field, I can tell you with certainty, you will be able to ask them to do small things—plant a crop two inches out of alignment, water one area a bit longer than normal, break a bit early for the day—and see monumental rewards when that misplaced plant doesn't catch fire as Fate demanded, when the over-watered area shows that it had a drainage problem, or when the one-day delay will keep the passing swarm of insects from ravaging crops as they pass. More than this, you will see bigger problems. A season in advance, you could know that a drought is coming, and plant hardier stock. You could know locusts are coming, and blast the lot of them from the sky the moment they approach. You could tell when a flood will occur, and conjure levies beforehand. This knowledge will be a boon of infinite magnitude on your family.

And then, of course, there is Transmutation. The school of fire and earth, of volcanoes and new beginnings. Druids, since time before time, have been linked fundamentally to this axis. Without a doubt, I can tell you that through Transmutation, you will be able to directly improve your crops' soil, water, and world. I can also tell you that as a Wizard, your Transmutation of the natural world will be a pale shadow of a Druid's, unable to alter all the tiny details in the land, soil, and sky that your crops will most need. You will be able to aid them, no question... but in a way that I can do better. So long as I know you, I will be willing to visit your farm each spring and deliver the utmost benefit that Transmutation can offer them. This will take all of a day, and my part will be over. I could not fault you from wanting to do this yourself, if you are uncertain how long we will know each other, but I can tell you simply that the powers of Divination and Transmutation together are equally powerful in securing crops' futures, and their power is multiplicative, not additive.” He bowed. “This is all the advice I can offer you, Ace. The choice is yours; I seek only to inform your decision.” Then he went back to gathering herbs for his patients.

Ace had listened carefully and after all was said and done he watched Spirit for a few seconds before he spoke up again. “I think I understand now. Predict how the crop would turn out and then plan around that. Though, I think if I brought you home, my mother would keep you forever. But thanks for explaining it. I should get back to work fetching water from the well. I'll see you in a bit.” Ace trotted off back toward the inn.

Spirit nodded at Ace's assessment and called out. “You of all people should know the value of a good almanac. Imagine having one written about your farm in particular, in detail you couldn't possibly imagine. That is what it is to be a Diviner. As for your mother…” He shakes his head. “She has a husband, and I doubt she'd welcome me making a volcano to lair in. It'd not end well, really.” He smiles a bit at his half-joke, then waves Ace off to the well and continues gathering his herbs.

Spoiler: Ace/Frost
    Show
    Ace smiled at Spirit's joke and continued on his way. As he walked toward the well, he thought of his mother. She never had a ‘husband’ in any sense of the word. Those stallions were all just a series of estranged lovers that changed with the seasons. Maybe that’s why his home life was a mess compared to the upbringing others had.

The well was in sight, but Ace also saw Frostbite with one of the farmers. This was an opportunity! Frost would know the arcane on a level Ace could relate to.

The little unicorn caught up with Frost when the farmer had stepped away. He looked quite hopeful. “Frost, you seem to know a good bit about magic, so I thought to ask you first. See, I'm supposed to write a... well it's like a thesis. I need to pick a school of magic to focus my studies on and develop a kind of... signature for it. I always thought Necromancy would be my calling, because maybe I can use it to keep the fragile crops on my family farm from dying so quickly. However, I don't want to make the paladins annoyed at me. Some of our friends think I should go into Divination, but I want to know your thoughts about magic. You know the arcane better than anyone here. I want magic that can help both my family's farm survive bad harvests and keep you and your friends safe in dungeons.

Focusing on a school of magic, huh? Hmm.” Frost seemed to think long and hard about this before answering. “Well, normally I say that if necromancy is your calling, stick with that. Why fight your nature? That said, I can't think of a way necromancy would help your family's crops beyond maybe killing any pests. Well... maybe if you were using zombies for labour, but that just has problems of its own. The undead freak ponies out.” He stopped to think again.

Have you considered transmutation? It's a very versatile school. My friend, Ash, he... he had this spell that could make him change into any other pony, was good for a laugh when he'd do impressions. Heh,” he allowed himself a moment to remember the good times. “But for you, well I've heard that high level transmuters can control the weather over a large scale, without the need for pegasi. That'd be good to have. Or you could haste your workers to get chores done sooner, animate scarecrows to protect the crops, redirect water for irrigation. Really, there's a lot you could do with that. Most of it would have combat uses to, if you want to be an adventurer.

Ace looked very interested in the wonders of this spell school. “Control weather and time? Animate things to do my bidding? Bend water to my will? That might actually be what I'm looking for! I thought Transmutation was just changing apples to oranges, but I did not realize it could do much more than that. Thanks, Frost!” He was about to hug Frost again, but stopped and this time just offered a hoofbump to respect personal space.

Any time, Ace. Glad to help out.” Frost returned the hoofbump with a smile.

By the way, I was wondering if I could look at your spellbook. I know that's a rather personal thing to ask a wizard, but I'm interested in learning more about the academic side of magic and so I figured maybe I could pick up some tips from you?

Ace hesitated, as it was a personal belonging, but he pulled out a book that felt quite stiff and rugged. Ace trusted Frost with it. “This one is my traveling spellbook. It isn't quite as organized as my bigger one.” He cast a light spell upon his horn so that Frost saw the contents clearly. Perhaps a bit too clear, as one of the early pages had a caricature of the Master Librarian with the phrase 'I am the M.L. and I smell'. Ace tried to move past that page without a word.

Each spell written in this book was written down almost akin to sets of blueprints. The incantations, gestures, the breakdown of required material components, it was all structured in very precise formulas and diagrams that only someone knowledgeable in the arcane would have known what they were looking at. Which of course, Frost was such a pony. But magic for Frost came naturally, whereas it was clear that Ace needed these instructions in order to perform the same kind of magic. Natural talent versus learned skill. However, it was possible Frost could be inspired later on as he gained experience with his own magic talents.

Anything in particular you were curious to know?” Ace asked.

Frost looked over the spellbook with keen interest. He didn’t quite understand all the minutia but he had a better feeling for how wizardry differs from sorcery. He lingered on the detect magic and charm pony spells. “This is really interesting stuff! I suppose I'm curious how this ritual thing works…

Ace took the book back gently. A yawn betrayed his focus. “Maybe… sometime we can get together and I can tell you more about rituals. Thanks, Frost.” With a wave he picked up his buckets and walked over to the well. finally, the main task is nearly done.

The unicorn tied one bucket to the end of the pulley and lowered it. It was dark out, but he heard a gentle splash down below. Ace then pulled the bucket back up. It was significantly heavier. He thought about how lucky Frost was, in that magic came to him naturally whereas Ace had to study hard to learn even the simplest spells. However, it seemed like Ace had something he could teach Frost in return; Ritual magic. The little unicorn couldn't help but feel like Frost was a potential big brother. Maybe because his actual big brother knew some strong Evocation spells too, but Frost was much more patient. Ace needed patience in a mentor. The unicorn repeated the task with the other bucket and a second time he pulled up more water. He felt a little more important.

Spoiler: Ace/Midnight
    Show
    Ace returned to the inn with the buckets of water. Strength was never something Ace had to train. Magic required intense exercises of the mind. Muscles were for soldiers and farmers, according to the Master Librarian anyway. Still, the scrawny unicorn managed alright with bringing the water in. After he had put down the buckets, he saw Midnight tending to ill residents.

The unicorn waited until Midnight paused between patients and he trotted up to pull him aside. “What do you really think of Necromancy?” he said out of the blue. “Is it truly too ingrained with the dead that it couldn't also protect life? I need to work on a... thesis of sorts. Basically devote myself to a specific school of magic. I used to think Necromancy was my calling, using such magic to help my family's farm. Now I'm not sure and some of your friends seem to think that Divination is the way to go. I know your magic doesn't work quite like mine, but I value your opinion because no one knows Necromancy the way you would see it.

Well... You're right, I didn't learn magic in 'schools' like you and Spirit have been talking about. But…” Midnight paused to gather his thoughts. “The way I see it, any magic can be used for good, even if it is evil in nature. You can command a zombie to fight off a monster. But you've still made a zombie, and it can be used for evil more easily than something else might. Plus you've still taken some pony's body and used it as a tool.

I guess I'd say that if you are really determined to turn Necromancy into a tool for good, then I'll try and help keep your damage to a minimum. But doing good will be a whole lot easier if you pursue something different.

Ace thought for a moment. He eventually nodded. “I don't want to cause trouble with the group. You are my first friends and you all did rescue me. Terrible first impression I ever made... well, I guess if I want to do 'good' I could pick a school that doesn't deal in killing or blowing stuff up. So, Evocation is probably out too. I guess that helps narrow the field slightly. Thanks Midnight.” He bowed, an attempt to be respectful, and took his leave to figure out things.

So, now Ace felt confident he had pinned exactly why some of his friends were nervous about Necromancy. It was the usage of dead bodies to make... undead bodies. However, not all Necromancy was about making someone's dead grandma come back to a semblance of life (funny as that sounded, but dark humor was rarely a shared trait among ponies outside the school). As long as any spells Ace learned was more on the gray side of things, like bolstering one's life or sickening an enemy spellcaster, it should be okay! Hmm...

Spoiler: Ace/Crossguard
    Show
    With the buckets of water delivered, Ace saw that things had calmed down at the inn. Ponies have gone home to sleep or had passed out here and upstairs. Then, Ace saw Crossguard over with the last patients of the night. He hadn’t asked her yet, and perhaps she had insight. Maybe not on magic schools, but on decision making? He walked over and nudged her to the side for a private talk.

Crossguard? Sorry to interrupt something really important, but I was wondering if you could help me?” Ace asked, “You seem to always know how to decide when tough choices come up, and I have a really hard decision to make. I need to create a sort of... thesis on one particular school of magic. Some seem to think Divination is better than Necromancy, but I find the latter easier to do.

Ace quickly put a hoof up in defense. “Not to create undead. No, I uh... more to manipulate life in order to protect it. Like, back home on the farm my family's crops die off a lot and I thought Necromancy might help keep it alive longer for harvest. That's why I studied it, but maybe you know a better way that I could help the farm and help you in your adventures.

Crossguard nodded. “Your mentor and I had this argument a while back. I would honestly suggest that you take Abjuration, the art of protection and negation, since those spells are some of the better defensive spells, and nothing stops you from reading the bones or manipulating plant life.” She smiled at the apprentice colt. “From what I remember my tutor teaching me in my childhood, you can still learn those spells if you focus on another school, but they won't be as powerful. Now, I don't mean to rush you off, but I need to get back to helping with the citizens. Think deeply on this subject before you make your decision. No reason to rush into a career you don't know about.

Thank you Crossguard, that is... actually really good advice!” Ace hesitated for just a moment, but then leaned in and gave Crossguard a hug. He then trotted off to gather his things.

As he packed his saddlebag, Ace wondered if Crossguard might be a fun pony underneath that no-nonsense exterior. Surely even she knew what 'fun' was, right? He thought about a possible pet project later to see if it was possible to make Crossguard laugh. Yes, this sounded like a fun idea. What could possibly go wrong?

Spoiler: Ace/Trace
    Show
    "Surprise Batpony!" Trace exclaimed to a startled little pony.

Spoken too soon. The unicorn caught his breath and picked up his dropped bags. "Uh, can I help you?" Ace asked.

"More like the other way around, Peewee," Trace replied. "I saw you chatting it up with the others and it didn't take much to figure out your game."

Ace gulped a little. Trace tended to worry him. A lot. "Uh... what game?"

"The secret you've been hiding... All this time I wondered why you stick with us despite the dangers, but I figured it out. It's written all over your face," Trace said with a cocky grin. "...you got eyes for Crossguard, don't you?"

The little unicorn sputtered as if punched in the gut. "Err, what?"

The batpony leaned on the little unicorn's head. "Well it is obvious. Cross is the only one you haven't hugged or hoofbumped. You also tend to avoid her gaze whenever Necromancy is talked about. It's pretty obvious since she was the last one you talked to, but hey, you're secret is safe with me. I'm not even gonna charge you for this one. Pro bono stuff. By the way, has Muffins said anything about baking more cookies soon?"

"I, err... no?"

"Okay, good. I haven't missed out then. That bowl will one day be mine," Trace promised. "Anyway, short-stack, gotta jet. I have a lead, but it'll take me in the other direction the others want to go. Let them know I'm looking up a friend and I'll catch up with everyone later. You all aren't hard to find. See ya..." Trace gracefully moved through the crowds and disappeared into the shadows.

Ace scratched his head. "I want whatever he's been drinking." He made his way out to where his friends have been gathering.

Now Ace knew what path he was to take. He understood his traveling companions a little more as well. Useful in order to better help them out in the next adventurous dungeon or wherever they may be. He just needed to... *YAWN* Sleep on it and in the morning write that thesis. Studies would then begin, and his future was looking bright. Everything is coming up Ace!
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #56

Spirit nods tiredly, heads over to the longhouse, lights the fireplace, drapes a blanket over his gator, then promptly collapses to sleep. It had been a long day of travel and treating ponies, but that was over now. Now was the time to rest and recharge.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Beryl slowly walks to the longhouse, too. As she enters she picks out a bed, and just lets her armor and bags fall in a pile next to it with a semi-metallic thud.

"Everypony, we did good today..." she mumbles as she sits on the bed. She barely has time to lie down and pull on her blanket before falling asleep. "Good night..."

Beryl is out like a light.

28. - Top - End - #58

Spirit nods tiredly, heads over to the longhouse, lights the fireplace, drapes a blanket over his gator, then promptly collapses to sleep. It had been a long day of travel and treating ponies, but that was over now. Now was the time to rest and recharge.
    Ace picks a bed away from said warm gator. He eats some rations from his bag to keep his stomach content until morning and then buries himself completely under his winter blanket. Anyone looking can see the soft glow of a light under the blanket as Ace pulls out a journal. He begins scribbling a little triangular diagram on a page, mumbling words. "Abjuration- the shield to protect the party. Transmutation- the sword to slay my enemies. And the crown... Divination- one school to know them all..."

The light goes out and Ace is apparently fast asleep under the blanket.

"Everypony, we did good today..." she mumbles as she sits on the bed. She barely has time to lie down and pull on her blanket before falling asleep. "Good night..."

Beryl is out like a light.
    Spoiler: Beryl...
    Show
    It was dark. Night. Gloom. Beryl could see that the ground is swampy muck with only a few patchy of relatively dry land. The sounds of insects were very muted. She could see that there was a pony across from her standing on a log. She was quite tall and wore a very tarnished breastplate with a leafy pattern. Her green mane was long and had little bits of branches to tie it together in loose braids. The mare walked across the log with perfect balance until she was quite close to Beryl. She looked down, her amber-colored eyes studying Beryl carefully.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Beryl...
    Show
    It was dark. Night. Gloom. Beryl could see that the ground is swampy muck with only a few patchy of relatively dry land. The sounds of insects were very muted. She could see that there was a pony across from her standing on a log. She was quite tall and wore a very tarnished breastplate with a leafy pattern. Her green mane was long and had little bits of branches to tie it together in loose braids. The mare walked across the log with perfect balance until she was quite close to Beryl. She looked down, her amber-colored eyes studying Beryl carefully.
    Spoiler: ...dreaming?
    Show
    Beryl feels the stare of the pony. "Hello?" she hears herself call out. "Can I help you with something?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Frost, too, find himself writing, though he doesn't stay up as long as Ace. He has no journal nor quill, but he finds a few scraps of paper and some charcoal to write with, and begins scribbling down ideas as fast as his earth pony mouthwriting will allow (among the notes: learn how to write with magic).

By the time he is finished, he has a messy pile of papers with the word spell book scrawled at the top. He wipes the charcoal residue from his mouth, blows out the candle, and settles down for a restful sleep.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Show