New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Slayer/Vivisectionist sneak attack

So, Hybrid Classes say:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parent Classes: Each one of the following classes lists two classes that it draws upon to form the basis of its theme. While a character can multiclass with these parent classes, this usually results in redundant abilities. Such abilities don't stack unless specified.

Vivisectionist says:

Spoiler
    Show
    At 1st level, a vivisectionist gains the sneak attack ability as a rogue of the same level. If a character already has sneak attack from another class, the levels from the classes that grant sneak attack stack to determine the effective rogue level for the sneak attack’s extra damage dice (so an alchemist 1/rogue 1 has a +1d6 sneak attack like a 2nd-level rogue, an alchemist 2/rogue 1 has a +2d6 sneak attack like a 3rd-level rogue, and so on).

So, has it ever been decided whether Slayer 3/Alchemist (vivisectionist) 4 gets:
    2d6 sneak (from alchemist, they don't stack)
    3d6 sneak, (2d6 from alchemist, 1d6 from delayed progression Slayer, cant find any rules to support it, but seems like it should work this way.)
    or 4d6 sneak (Alchemist text specifies how rule stacks, so slayer 3 alchemist 4=rogue 7)

Looking for RAW as much as possible here. I didn't want to post in rules Q&A because when I searched I saw a lot of old arguments from 2012, so I wasn't sure there would be a simple answer, but everything I found was really before Slayer anyway.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Kobold

Default Re: Slayer/Vivisectionist sneak attack

At 1st level, a vivisectionist gains the sneak attack ability as a rogue of the same level. If a character already has sneak attack from another class, the levels from the classes that grant sneak attack stack to determine the effective rogue level for the sneak attack’s extra damage dice
    To me the interpretation of this is, the levels from the class that grant sneak attack stack. Meaning In your example of Slayer 3/Alchemist (vivisectionist) 4 stacks the following levels

Slayer lvl 3
    Vivisectionist lvl 1
    Vivisectionist lvl 3

so the sneak attack is 3d6.

To me, that's the clear RAW interpretation, but I can see how you could parse the language to a different interpretation. But that's the best RAW explanation I can give you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    To me the interpretation of this is, the levels from the class that grant sneak attack stack. Meaning In your example of Slayer 3/Alchemist (vivisectionist) 4 stacks the following levels

Slayer lvl 3
    Vivisectionist lvl 1
    Vivisectionist lvl 3

so the sneak attack is 3d6.

To me, that's the clear RAW interpretation, but I can see how you could parse the language to a different interpretation. But that's the best RAW explanation I can give you.
    I second 3d6, that each level that grants sneak attack stacks up. Even though the slayer is on a different progression than the rogue or vivisectionist.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Thirding 3d6. You could make a case for 4d6 though as it's not totally clear.

I'd say 2d6 is out - Alchemist is not a "parent class" of Slayer so there will be some form of stacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I support: #2, Vivi says it stacks delayed level not actual sneak attack.

The better sneak attack is Snackbite Brawler (actual sneak attack stacking: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybr...kebite-striker ), Cult Leader (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybr...es/cult-leader ), or even Greensting Slayer Magus ( http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base...ensting-slayer ),

All these use text that they stack damage. Sadly Vivi doesn't stack damage, it stacks effective level.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Kobold

I bet the Hamburgler took levels in Snackbite brawler.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    The better sneak attack is Snackbite Brawler
    All these use text that they stack damage.
    Stacking the sneak is a byproduct. What I am really doing is adding limbs to a lantern archon. Slayer gives aspect of the beast for claws. Alchemist is providing tentacles. Whether his lasers do 4d6 or 5d6 isn't critical. But I do need to figure it out.