New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Dr. McNinja V: The End

New comic. Looks a bit bloody.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    New comic. Looks a bit bloody.
    It's only a flesh wound.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

But the Mountain Dew he drinks might heal that right up.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    But the Mountain Dew he drinks might heal that right up.
    That or Ghost Wizards. Or Dracula.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Oh, if only that was Radical's blood. I suspect it's not.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    The sword had no visible blood before the strike. I suppose we'll find out next week.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    No, no, it's almost certainly Radical. Just going by traditional storytelling framing, that is Radical's death (which we will see the aftermath of in a bit).

It also answers a central question of why the voice over the loud speaker in the future vision wanted Dr McNinja alive before threatening to destroy the building. While Rads just wanted to kill the Doc (and was there while the voice over the loudspeaker wasn't) whoever is left in authority after Radical went away will want to presumably try McNinja for his 'crime' or kill him if they can't capture him.

Makes sense at least. See soon enough if that is in fact it.

====

Also? Good riddance to bad rubbish.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-09-16 at 04:06 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

If that truly IS Radical's blood, then I'm afraid this may be what he wanted, and Doc is now the man who killed the President.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think there's still room for a twist in this scene. Let's see what happens now.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I think there's still room for a twist in this scene. Let's see what happens now.
    I suppose it might be a decoy or something. But, again, we are at The End. Sooner or later the twists and turns have to stop and we get to the resolutions.

Dunno. Feels like a resolution/climax. Radical certainly deserves it after that last stunt of his.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember Franzs request of radical?

12. - Top - End - #462

RedWizardGuy

Franz Rayner and Dracula still have agendas. Plus Franz is currently VP, and he always wanted to become president by killing the president.

The only thing King Radical still cares about is hurting Doc, and he just killed Doc's other arch nemesis. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was Radical's end. I do wonder what the surviving Rad Landers will do when he dies.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Remember Franzs request of radical?
    Actually, no.

*checks*

Ah, yes. Franz certainly thinks he is the Vice President. Being president was a long goal, as mentioned by JavaScribe. If Rads is gone, he's in position to claim power in the vaccum.

He does seem to be the type to give folks a chance to surrender (see a couple of pages ago) before straight out killing them. At least right now. Might make sense that he gives an order to capture the Doc before deciding to blast him away.

He's also NOT at that warehouse, which also fits.

Yesssssss. Coming together nicely. Now just have to see if Dan and co try to take on Franz.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Banned

There's just no way I'm going to believe it's that easy.

15. - Top - End - #465

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It isn't. Because even if he kills King Radical, he's still got two major adversaries in his way. The nightmare won't end until they are dead, the curse (whatever it is) is broken, and he either flees the country or successfully restores Funkhouser to power. No small order.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

This was easy?

EDIT::::

If you're going to claim that this was 'easy' because the Doc/Radical fight itself was over in a flash, I would remind that it isn't exactly uncommon in stories for a protagonist to have massive, grueling, gut-wrenching emotional fights in the lead up and then finish the so-called Boss Fight in a matter of moments. Mostly because it defies expectations and also because it was the massive, grueling, gut-wrenching emtional fights that led up to the Boss Fight which were important. If one wants to analysize it further, all of the psychological (and physical) torment was the buildup that led to an emtional climax here. A burst of righteous fury that overcame everything and killed Radical stone cold dead.

And even here, King Radical got in one lasting gut-punch (Old McNinja) along with a nice middle finger salute (the dinosaur).

Naturally, Radical being Radical, he might have planned for this and had some sort of Thanatos Gambit going on. Be a tiny bit surprised if he didn't, actually.

Regardless, the Doc's entire life has nearly been shattered. If this was 'easy', I'd hate to see 'hard'!

PS: Do wonder where Hortence is during all of this.....
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-09-17 at 12:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I've been wondering that too, the mysterious breakup is a major Chekov's gun, and it's a little surprising Radical didn't set that up before his own boss fight.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

PS: Do wonder where Hortense is during all of this.....
    Does she even still work for Radical? I don't think we've seen her since the Ghostbot venture went south.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Banned

This was easy?

EDIT::::

If you're going to claim that this was 'easy' because the Doc/Radical fight itself was over in a flash, I would remind that it isn't exactly uncommon in stories for a protagonist to have massive, grueling, gut-wrenching emotional fights in the lead up and then finish the so-called Boss Fight in a matter of moments. Mostly because it defies expectations and also because it was the massive, grueling, gut-wrenching emtional fights that led up to the Boss Fight which were important. If one wants to analysize it further, all of the psychological (and physical) torment was the buildup that led to an emtional climax here. A burst of righteous fury that overcame everything and killed Radical stone cold dead.

And even here, King Radical got in one lasting gut-punch (Old McNinja) along with a nice middle finger salute (the dinosaur).

Naturally, Radical being Radical, he might have planned for this and had some sort of Thanatos Gambit going on. Be a tiny bit surprised if he didn't, actually.

Regardless, the Doc's entire life has nearly been shattered. If this was 'easy', I'd hate to see 'hard'!

That's all build up or (potential) aftermath. The primary antagonist of the series walking up, and being casually murdered off panel during a conversation is too easy. It's also really bad writing, and Hastings is better than that.

So yeah, this seems too easy and I don't believe we've seen the last of Radical.

20. - Top - End - #470

RedWizardGuy

That's all build up or (potential) aftermath. The primary antagonist of the series walking up, and being casually murdered off panel during a conversation is too easy. It's also really bad writing, and Hastings is better than that.

So yeah, this seems too easy and I don't believe we've seen the last of Radical.
    What else is there for Radical to even do? He's given up on saving his people, and the "consolation prize of a Kingdom" is like an afterthought. I mean, I guess he could kick puppies with a jetpack or something. But wouldn't a sudden anticlimactic death be appropriate for the guy that enjoys killing boring people?

21. - Top - End - #471
    Banned

Off screen? In the middle of the climactic chapter instead of the end?

I honestly wouldn't be a bit surprised if Doc just stabbed Hortense (or someone else) using Rad's hologram projector. There is a very clear pattern right now that everything is getting worse and worse for Doc, and killing Radical would subvert that pretty hard. We also know he hasn't hit bottom yet because of the future scene.

22. - Top - End - #472

RedWizardGuy

Off screen?
    Possibly a Gory Discrition Shot.

In the middle of the climactic chapter instead of the end?
    Makes way for the rise of President Rayner.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It's also really bad writing, and Hastings is better than that.
    C'mon. You're not going to drag out the 'X is a better writer than that' line, are you? One would think that after people using it over and over and over again, only to see that, yes, the writer is exactly that type of writer, people would learn.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    It's also one page in a multi-page work. Seeing how emotional it is in context (and I think it was ALREADY pretty emotional) might be wise. That's just me though.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-09-17 at 07:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

Rayner has been a joke for like 5 books now. Plus, he's Dan's antagonist. He needs to face him for resolution. I'll be really disappointed if he becomes the main antagonist. At least Dracula is intimidating.

Look, I'm not saying it's impossible that he's killing of Radical. Obviously that's possible. I just think that doing it in this moment in this way is poor writing, so I don't expect Hastings to do it. Maybe I'm wrong and it will end up being great. We'll see.

C'mon. You're not going to drag out the 'X is a better writer than that' line, are you? One would think that after people using it over and over and over again, only to see that, yes, the writer is exactly that type of writer, people would learn.

It's also one page in a multi-page work. Seeing how emotional it is in context (and I think it was ALREADY pretty emotional) might be wise. That's just me though.
    How is "people have used this argument and been wrong about other things, so you shouldn't use it" more reasonable?

Saying that someone has historically been a better writer than to deviate drastically from accepted story structure for the sake of an anti-climax is valid. If we were talking about Thunt (Goblins) or someone who does things like that I wouldn't say it.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2016-09-17 at 07:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

One argument for it NOT being Hortence is.... Why would Hortence kill Old McNinja? OK, killing the raptor I could see (no love lost between the two). But Old?

Dunno. Seems a stretch.

Mind, I fully admit that this could be a decoy. But as it stands, and if this is Radical's death, I think it's great writing when the entire build up is read in context. Would an Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny been nice? Sure. But this is pretty good as well. IMO, at least.

How is "people have used this argument and been wrong about other things, so you shouldn't use it" more reasonable?

Saying that someone has historically been a better writer than to deviate drastically from accepted story structure for the sake of an anti-climax is valid. If we were talking about Thunt (Goblins) or someone who does things like that I wouldn't say it.
    Because the old "I think X is a good writer and I don't like this devlopment; so since I think X is a good writer something else must be going on" isn't usually right.

More to the point, an anti-climax IS accepted story structure. Having someone fight and suffer and go through hell for (*checks*) 70 pages then kicking the ass of the person who has tormented him in quick order seems satisfactory enough to me. Obviously a YMMV situation.

Maybe I'm just wrankled at the 'really bad writing' bit. Mostly because I think it isn't close to bad writing.

Doesn't mean you have to like it. But 'bad writing'? Nah. Not from where I'm sitting at least.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-09-17 at 08:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Banned

"Enemy mastermind discards all defenses and schemes in order to walk into melee range with a ninja to instantly die" isn't bad writing to you? That's an acceptable way for the story to climax?

Ok.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Firbolg in the Playground

Depending on the context

Yes, it might not be bad writing.

But it might as well.

It all depends on context, buildup, characterization, storyline, and various others.

Example:

"Everything is just a dream" is my personal most hated twist. I remember an editor from sci-fi magazine saying "adam and eve" ending is his most hated twist ever, and if he see a clue toward that ending, he usually just drop the story he's reading and. But you can easily pick good examples of those twists.

But anyway, I'm not saying that if Radical dies now it's definitely good writing. It might be, it might not. And even if it's good writing, people are allowed to like or dislike something. But to answer your question, yes, it can be good plot twist or writing.

Besides, it all depends on what factors you consider "good climatic encounter" anyway. And we still need to see the detail in next strip anyway.

I know you're not talking about something like this, but this is something I've seen in the wild before, and I'm using it as example. Spoilering it because it's only slightly related, but still somewhat related I guess, so feel free to read my rambling or not.

Spoiler
    Show

I saw people complaining when the hero only have a short final fight with the supposedly big bad boss, after he had much longer and harder fights with the bosses' lieutenants, in an action series. They say it's unsatisfying, anticlimatic. But it depends on a lot of things isn't it? I'm sure you can imagine yourselves what things involved that can make this kind of ending good or bad.

Another, sillier/more juvenile example, is people who rate how good an action series is on how strong the main character is. I'm starting to go to strawman territory here, but I saw discussion about this, like "x series is worse than y series because the main characters of y series is stronger." Or, something I personally talked about with a friend at school, "x series is better than y series because fights lasts longer in x series, while y series is a monster-of-the-week series, where monsters appear in an episode to be defeated in that episode as well. Obviously, it can be right, but monster-of-the-week series can be better or worse than series where fights last episodes. It depends on many more things.

On superheroes, I have a heated discussion with a coworker quite a while ago, because he says 'the avengers is bad because the villains (the invading aliens)' are never explained much (no scene of lengthy tragic backstory or epic motivation explained for them, I guess). No really, that's the reason why he dislike the first avengers movie. You can obviously see why I tried to argue with him. I mean, you might like, or not like the original avengers, but I really don't think lengthy villain motivation explanation is needed for a good superhero movie.
    Last edited by Fri; 2016-09-18 at 12:18 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

28. - Top - End - #478

RedWizardGuy

"Enemy mastermind discards all defenses and schemes in order to walk into melee range with a ninja to instantly die" isn't bad writing to you? That's an acceptable way for the story to climax?

Ok.
    King Radical has nothing left to live for but revenge, he's cocky, and playing safe isn't radical at all.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

'Enemy Mastermind arranges a Thanatos Gambit to hurt and torment Patrick one last time from beyond the grave'...that is indeed good storytelling.

President Radical has nothing to live for but making Patrick as miserable as possible. Setting up a situation where Patrick just bluntly murders him in a fit of crazed grief-rage, thus making what's left of his own life even worse somehow, is very much his style. And being beheaded by a ninja is a very radical death. What we'll find out on Monday, assuming it wasn't a hologram (which is also his style, though I find it less likely), is how and why killing Radical here+now was a bad thing for Patrick to do.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-09-18 at 12:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

How is that bad storytelling? King Radical lives for the rad. He breathes rad. He murders in the name of rad. The only proper way to defeat such a villain is to ruin their climax. Since throwing him in jail to die of old age is not possible, we move to the next best thing : an off-panel one hit kill.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.