New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Children of the Sun

I recently purchaced this RPG at clearance, and thought it was pretty interesting. It's kind-of a high magic world war 1/World War 2 era tech setting where magic has replaced coal and desiel.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of/played it, and if you have what your experience was like.

I really like the system they have for checks. You have a die size for your attribute, that doesn't change, but you can spend a number of experience to add more dice to that pool. You roll a number of dice at that size equal to the attribute pool plus the relevant skill. you re-roll any max rolls until you don't roll max and add them together. The skill result is the highest die. For example, if you're making a strength check, and your strength was 3d6. You roll all three dice and get a 2, a 6, and a 6. Then you roll the two sixes and get a 5 and a 3. You end up with 2, 11, and 9. The result of your check is 11.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Children of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I recently purchaced this RPG at clearance, and thought it was pretty interesting. It's kind-of a high magic world war 1/World War 2 era tech setting where magic has replaced coal and desiel.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of/played it, and if you have what your experience was like.

I really like the system they have for checks. You have a die size for your attribute, that doesn't change, but you can spend a number of experience to add more dice to that pool. You roll a number of dice at that size equal to the attribute pool plus the relevant skill. you re-roll any max rolls until you don't roll max and add them together. The skill result is the highest die. For example, if you're making a strength check, and your strength was 3d6. You roll all three dice and get a 2, a 6, and a 6. Then you roll the two sixes and get a 5 and a 3. You end up with 2, 11, and 9. The result of your check is 11.
    Sounds like Deadlands, which means that the system itself is pretty solid. While i've never played Children of the Sun i have played a bit of Deadlands and im a big fan of the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."