New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Floating World [IC]

"I don't see much point in retreating." Sute frowns at the shattered remains of the golem. "If we didn't have the locals' attention before, we certainly have it now. I doubt there's anywhere on this complex where they can't find us if they want to. Our best options to to investigate quickly and keep on the move as much as possible."

That was assuming that there even were locals. The food supply suggested that there was something alive here, who could really say? Maybe whatever magical engine kept the modest mountain range afloat was carnivorous.

"I'll help you examine the lab. We'd be well advised to figure out what this device was doing, now that we've broken it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Once everyone is stablized, Sute will help investigate the lab
    Perception: (1d20+10)[16]
    K(arcana), I'm guessing: (1d20+14)[27]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

The strange cat-like creature reached Ishkin and took a swipe at him with one paw. The faint glow of healing light shone for a moment as the lacerations from the golem's attack were crudely sealed over, stopping the flow of iridescent fluid that seemed to pass as Ishkin's blood.
    Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    (1d10+5)[8]

"I would not object to the attention," Ishkin answered Ryoko, uncoiling from the golem and bowing his head.

"Thanks! If you need, I can help out, but I'm not much of a healer." Avaula said. She sized up the slope down, considering whether or not to wait for Ishkin to help her down. "Don't worry too much about doors. Ishkin and I have worked out a way of dealing with doors. Walls too, for that matter. It'll only get us through one, but it gives us a little more freedom to explore."
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2016-06-26 at 08:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Jack goes back to looking for further enchantments.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't think I got a result for divining in here before, so let's try again

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Looking into the other room, you see what looks like a fairly typical magical workshop. The usual accoutrements are there: alchemical equipment, books, tables covered in partially completed projects. All of that, though, has been pushed to the edges of the room, leaving a distinctly unusual scene taking up the majority of the workshop. A smaller array of lenses and mirrors looks like it was set up to catch the beam of light coming from the other room and split it out again, directing much finer rays of light into precisely ordered arrangements. The brilliant green light forms what looks like four different patterns in the middle of the room, which resemble slightly modified forms of the magical circles used to bind outsiders.

The room is otherwise completely dark, making it hard to see any particular details of what's going on inside the circles. You can, however, see that the light appears to be wavering slightly. It looks like it isn't going to be maintaining those circles for much longer.

Spoiler: Perception DC 52
    Show
    There are shadowy presences lurking in the three circles closest to you, one in each of them. They look like winged shadows that fade into the blackness so perfectly that they might as well be invisible. Their teeth and claws, though, look very real, and very sharp.

Spoiler: Knowledge (planes) DC 17
    Show
    All three of them are shadow demons. These demons are incorporeal and barely affected by physical reality, but can shred physical objects with their claws and teeth. In addition, they have the ability to become invisible in the darkness, and can manipulate darkness and possess living creatures. Their only notable weakness is natural sunlight, which renders them powerless.

Spoiler: Perception DC 39
    Show
    The circle farthest from you has several entities in it. They look like vaguely humanoid creatures made from darkness, and their figures blur into the darkness of the room. The four of them shift back and forth restlessly within their circle of light.

Spoiler: Knowledge (planes_ DC 14
    Show
    The creatures are shaes, outsiders drawn from the Shadow Plane. Though not inherently malicious most of the time, they're culturally xenophobic and tend to regard other creatures as little more than playthings. Any insult to their pride is generally met with immediate and violent reprisal, which involves very precise attacks, frigid cold, and magical manipulation of the darkness.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Okay, too tired to draw a map right now, but I hope that at least the broad strokes are clear enough from this. The circles are arranged in a rough diamond shape, with the nearest one being thirty feet from where the lens was.

Spoiler: Jack
    Show
    The only enchantment you detect within the room is the same one Ryoko already described: some of the lenses are designed to magically amplify light which passes through them.
    Please don't capitalize my name.

Cho avatar by Noel. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps there is something beyond normal sight about."Jack closes his eyes, speaking an incantation as a subtle glow settles around his head briefly. He keeps his eyes closed and starts walking around the available area as if searching through his eyelids.
    Spoiler
    Show
    2 SP for blindfolded oracle to get blindsight when his eyes are closed. 30' radius, 6 hr duration

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ennius merely listens as the others allow the door to close behind them. His only chance of making it up there, anyway, would be to take the form of a bird again, an action he is hesitant to do on a split-second decision given he can only take an animal shape once more without a chance to rest.

The decision to stay made, Ennius tests his wound--no longer bleeding and no deeper than he had anticipated but certainly enough to require attention from a healer. The druid stands up and makes his way over to the similarly-wounded Ishkin with a wary glance towards the golem's wreckage--though the others seem satisfied with its demise, Ennius isn't so sure (it had looked lifeless up until the very moment it lashed out at him. However, the construct makes no move other than death spasms as he reaches the protean.

"Actually, if you don't mind, I'll take care of you here, Ishkin," Ennius interjects cracking a grin as he gestures to his own wound, "my blessings should be potent enough for both of us."

Show
    Should I be allowed, I'm gonna start doing some lay on hands here. Each one heals Ennius's target for 1d6 and him for 5. I'll just start rolling here, and Ennius will do it until he is interrupted, out of uses of the ability (he has 5 left) or Ishkin is within 3 HP of his maximum.

(1d6)[6](1d6)[3](1d6)[5](1d6)[6](1d6)[2]
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Even with the murk of the lab, it didn't take a genius arcanist to tell what was going on here. Even a rank apprentice could recognize those binding runes, and a simple peasant could see that the glowing symbols were fading.

"Just HAD to smash the machine, didn't we."
    Sute fumes, just loudly enough to be heard, then continues in a more normal tone. "I can't see a thing in here. Fiat lux, as the Parians say." She summons up a cool glow to illuminate the lab beyond the focused glare of the runes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting light.
    Last edited by Bhaakon; 2016-06-28 at 04:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Well the good news is that I think I know what that machine was for.

Ryoko half jokes.

Bad news is that whatever it is will escape any second. Anyone here have much in the way of light magic? I’m pretty sure whatever’s in their has a marked aversion to it and I uh don't exactly use that kind of magic much.

Show
    Ryoko has an ioun torch constantly giving off light BTW

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Carlisle shakes his head, staring at the fading circles intently, trying to figure out what exactly they were holding, but his eyes cannot penetrate the darkness within. "No, light isn't really my specialty. I could probably prepare something, but I expect it would take far longer than we have. My apologies."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

"Light? No, afraid I can't help much with that. My enemies usually respond to stabbing, but this place it a bit outside my experience."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

"I can light it up; just give me a second to finish here," Ennius offers as his hands continue to pour healing energy into Ishkin. As the protean's wounds begin to close, Ennius's own do as well until the half-elf doesn't even have a scratch from the golem's attack. "And that's all I've got," he says as he stands up and turns to face the opening in the wall.

Next, he turns his attention to the darkness before him and, with a gesture and a few words, four ghostly lantern-like globes in the middle of the next room, casting their light into the shadows within the circles.

Show
    Okay, Ennius heals for 25 and Ishkin does for 22. The spell is dancing lights, cast into the center of the dark room (the globes of light are all in the same 10 foot square there).
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2016-07-05 at 02:03 AM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

The circles are starting to fade noticeably as Ennius finishes his healing and casts a light out into the middle of the room. It seems like they'll probably only be bright enough to function for a few more seconds.

The lights he create are bright enough to drive the thickest of the darkness into the corners, leaving the middle of the room relatively bright. It almost seems like something flickers in one of the circles as the light washes over it.

Spoiler: Perception DC 29
    Show
    The circle farthest from you has several entities in it. They look like vaguely humanoid creatures made from darkness, and their figures blur into the darkness of the room. The four of them shift back and forth restlessly within their circle of light.

Spoiler: Knowledge (planes_ DC 14
    Show
    The creatures are shaes, outsiders drawn from the Shadow Plane. Though not inherently malicious most of the time, they're culturally xenophobic and tend to regard other creatures as little more than playthings. Any insult to their pride is generally met with immediate and violent reprisal, which involves very precise attacks, frigid cold, and magical manipulation of the darkness.

Show
    Dancing lights is bright enough to make the easier Perception check more doable. It does not, however, do anything to affect the harder one.

You have three rounds before the circles go out now. I'll just tell you that for convenience.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ennius raises his spear and shield as he edges his way into the now-mostly-lit room for a closer look. "Will escape?" Ennius muses, "there's nothing here. If these circles did indeed contain anything, it's out now. Any chance they'd be happy to meet their liberators?"

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Carlisle holds up a hand towards Ennius, indicating to wait as he squints into the still altogether too dark room. "Something in the circles still. Four figures, dark and shadowy. Afraid I don't recognize them farther than that, though. It is possible that they will appreciate their liberation, but I would not assume as such. I suggest we wait here for them to come to us as they likely will, hostile or not."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

"Given our reception thus far I am less than optimistic." Jack says flatly as he readies his blade.

Spoiler: perception
    Show
    (1d20+16)[30]

if rolling 23-28, then inspiration (1d6)[4]

"Shae. Shadow creatures, if I am not mistaken. Read about them once. Not inherently hostile, but don't expect them to look at us like more than toys. Like using magical darkness and cold too. Best bet is to be polite. Do not insult them and maybe we can learn something." Jack sheathes his blade and holds out his hands in a peaceful gesture, calling out to the shapes.

"Greetings. This place recently came upon are lands and we wish to learn of it. We mean no harm. May we exchange information, trade answers that you may have for any we may have to better serve us both?"
    Last edited by stack; 2016-07-10 at 12:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

There's no response from the dark room as Jack speaks. The shaes seem to ignore him entirely; he's seen more responsive statues.

A few moments later the circles finally flicker and fade. The instant they do, a low, sinister chuckle rolls through the room, echoing off the walls. It sounds like it came from one of the circles...but not the one with the shaes in it.

Show
    Okay, been waiting a while and it really doesn't seem like there's anything for you guys to do until the magic circles stop, so I'm going to go ahead and skip it forward a touch. I remember someone asking what the space looks like; the map is updated, and I've added some details that the light would let you see. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Otherwise, you're up and we're going to round-by-round posting since it's probably combat once it moves to their turn.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Ryoko frowns slightly Do you understand us? She asks in every language she knows. We bear no ill will towards you.

Still the mage is near vibrating with tension as she floats into the air once more.

Show
    Activating flight and getting 5 ft off the ground before things go completely haywire.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Carlisle clicks his tongue with irritation. "Ominous laughter. Something tells me diplomacy is not likely to be particularly effective, here." He calmly draws his blades and waits for whatever was inside the circles to show itself.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Jack just shrugs. "It was worth a shot."
    Spoiler
    Show
    nitnsure what to do other than wait

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

For a long moment after the circles go out, the room is still and silent. The shaes are clearly visible now, four blurs of shadow floating in the light, but they don't move or speak at all. The tension in the air is almost palpable, but nothing actually seems to be happening, and you could easily wonder whether the other circles were empty after all.

Then, suddenly, you see that Avaula is moving. With a broad grin on her face that seems to show too many teeth, she extends her arm to the side, and then snaps it up, slamming her morningstar into the side of her own head. The weapon shatters bone and tears flesh; a moment later she collapses to the ground in a heap at the center of a rapidly-spreading pool of blood. Ishkin writhes, looking shocked, and then simply winks out of existence.

Another low chuckle rolls through the room as Avaula's body hits the floor.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

...crap
    "I am thinking diplomacy may be ineffective. Perhaps time to seek retreat?"

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Carlisle raises an eyebrow at Jack's panic. This was a dangerous area, obviously. Was the man so unused to death? "Retreat. Through the massive, closed door that we have no ability to open." He smiles and shakes his head slightly. "I think diplomacy is a better plan than that. I would prepare for a fight, I see no effective way to avoid such."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ennius turns around in shock as he hears the crack of Avaula's mace against her own head. When she falls and her summoned creature beside him vanishes into thin air, the warrior can only assume the worst: that the summoner is well and truly dead. Poor girl, an otherworldly guardian wasn't enough to protect from dangers like these.

"And where would we flee?"
    Ennius asks as he turns back to the shadowy room and reaches for the sprig of mistletoe around his neck, "no, we must fight, and we can't do that unless we can see." He immediately raises his other hand and incants a spell, causing a brilliant flash of light to illuminate the closest empty circle from which laughter had originated, if only for a moment.

Show
    Casting burst of radiance centered on the closest apparently occupied summoning circle. In a 10 foot radius, all evil creatures take (5d4)[13] damage (no save) and all creatures in the radius must make a DC 17 reflex save or be blinded for (1d4)[2] rounds. If they make the save, they are merely dazzled for this time. (If there are multiple creatures in the radius, you can go ahead and roll for them too, but I had just assumed there's only one.)
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2016-07-14 at 11:51 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Ryoko is not a stranger to death. She's dealt it more than enough times and she's watched comrades die before. That doesn't make seeing Avaula bash her own brains out any better. Ryoko's eyes go wide with horror for a second before she regains control of herself.

The witch reaches into her bag and wills the scroll to her hand.

Please let this work. Forgotten spirits, please let this work

The spirits must be with her because Ryoko does not fumble her way through the unfamiliar spell and the circle rises up around her.

The safest place right now is within 10ft of me.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Spellcraft to try and figure out just what happened to the summoner: (1d20+18)[24]

And UMD to try to activate a scroll of Circle of Protection from Evil targeting herself :(1d20+18)[37] DC=25
    Last edited by Recherché; 2016-07-14 at 06:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Jack moves to Ryoko's side. "If we see a way out, let us take it. They don't seem keen on talking."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

The flash of light momentarily reveals something within the circle. An amorphous, dark cloud, it looks like nothing so much as the stain left by ink spreading through water, frozen at a moment in time. Whatever it is looks misty and insubstantial, almost unreal, except for a very solid-looking pair of dark claws. It recoils from the burst of light, but instants later the brilliant light fades, and the cloud once again melts away into the shadows.

A moment later, another laugh rolls out from the circle where the shadowy thing was. "Clever girl," a soft, sibilant voice whispers. Something about it seems utterly wrong, tones pitched wrong and a discordance to it that sets your teeth on edge like nails dragged across a slate. "Almost clever enough."

As if to demonstrate the point, another shadowy claw slashes at Jack from below, appearing from within the stone and seemingly passing through it effortlessly. It's within the circle of protective magic, and while whatever it is seems slightly slowed by the spell, it's clearly able to function within it.

Instants later, utter darkness pours over the center of the room. Ennius's magical lights wink out in an instant, replaced by an impenetrable veil of darkness.

Show
    Okay, a couple of things. First off, blindsight is "either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures," which isn't exactly clear. In this case I think it's reasonable that it lets Jack avoid being flatfooted against this attack, but doesn't give him enough warning to do much more than that.

Second, the entire center of the room, including all three summoning circles, is in an area of magical darkness. Unless you have see in darkness or something similar, it's not visible; darkvision isn't going to cut it.

Finally, the actual attack against Jack. Note that the +2 deflection to AC from Magic Circle Against Evil does apply:
    Claw: (1d20+11)[16] (incorporeal touch attack)
    Concealment (51+ hits): (1d100)[1]
    Damage: (1d6)[3] + (1d6)[5] cold

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Jack jumps aside as the claw passes him. "You can at least come up here and face me fairly."

He holds his blade ready, poised to strike if another attack from the floor is made.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ready action to attack if attacked again
    (1d20+13)[24]
    damage (1d6+7)[9]
    magic weapon, so half damage against incorporeal
    I presume he cannot study a target in the floor, correct?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Carlisle looks curiously at the floor where the claw had emerged before casually taking a few steps up into the air. "I recommend getting back into the air. It has no reason to emerge from the floor while we're standing upon it, no matter how you insult it's honour."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Flying was a temporary reprieve at best, if these things could hide in the walls. They'd just wait them out.

"No, the machine! It was holding them...maybe it can weaken them!"
    She shouts, and quickly calls up a simple cantrip to make the head of her conjured weapon glow. It's a desperate move, of course. The feeble torchlight of the spell is hardly comparable to proper daylight, but the lenses were undeniably magical. "Try to illuminate as many of the lenses as we can! The rest of you, try and take advantage if this works!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast light, move action to G 20 so the light shines through the adjacent lens.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

<I can get us out of here. I can get us past the door. Bed news is everyone needs to be touching me for this to work and the bridge could have retracted since I last saw it. So I could end up teleporting us into thin air. Are we prepared for that possibility? Also given that these things seem to move through stone they can almost certainly follow us. On the plus side? Sunlight.> Ryoko whispers through the spell as she prepares to rip a new hole into the fabric of reality.