New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Being Evil on a Budget Low Cost Traps

My players and I were designing War Wagons for an upcoming part of the campaign, one of whom is playing a Kobold and had the idea of simply cramming as many Kobolds in the 2x3 space as possible. Which lead to the idea of a "low budget mimic" or rater a medium sized (5ftx5ft) chest jammed full of Kobolds, with the web enhancement and Races of Faerun's Swarmfighting feat. (I know CW adjusts it, but we play loose with the rules)
    Whilst they'd probably become flatfooted, the chest would supply them with cover.

Which brings me to the question of, what are some interesting, low-budget traps one could fill a dungeon with that don't already exist?

The being evil part refers to populating dungeons, I feel like I should explain that properly.
    Last edited by ekarney; 2016-05-14 at 03:12 AM.
    The Grand Rudisplorking Commoner, with the Rudisplorkiest power of them all, the power of the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
    But it's okay, I'm wearing five pairs of shoes so they shouldn't be able to hit me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Being Evil on a Budget Low Cost Traps

By "Traps that don't already exist", I assume you mean traps that aren't listed as traps for Craft(Trapmaking).

When I saw you mention Kobolds, I recalled something I used that isn't much of a trap, but more of an attack idea (similar to your mimic idea). I call them anklebiters. Basically, they are small tunnels behind the walls of a short corridor in a dungeon. There is a small opening between the tunnel and the corridor very low to the ground so it is hard to see. When enemies walk into the corridor, Kobolds with longspears poke at their feet and ankles. It would be extremely hard to hit back due to the low height of the tunnel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Being Evil on a Budget Low Cost Traps

magical Grease trap: 500gp (250 if sanctum grease)

magical Close trap: 250 gp, if a door is opened without saying the password, it closes immediately.

hidden doors and trapdoors that lead nowhere. if you want to be nasty nasty: door is two paneled and swings inwards; the backs of the doors are covered 1' spikes that sink into the walls, passageway is 5' or 6' deep and shrouded in darkness. After each character that goes in the doors close, if opened they poke whoever is inside.

trompe l'oeil passageways that seal off behind one
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2016-05-14 at 11:22 PM.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.