New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1386
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Kingslayers: Wild Magic of the Seekers

Raven

Raven keeps the point of his greatsword between him and "Billy" dropping it only slightly with an appreciative, impressed nod when Cassy enspheres the bloody boy. He raises it again as she drops it and does indeed appear about to sprint at the boy. Raven bounces slightly on the balls of his feet watching as Cara turns the vampire spawn to dust. The whole scene reminding him of another surreal bloody scene, one he only hazily remembers. Something about the blood on the sphere...and demon eyes.

"Nicely done ladies,"
    Raven says with a nod. At the rustling in the underbrush, Raven decides his human eyes aren't going to cut it out here. His haversack produces a scroll, which he reads and returns to the sack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Darkvision[/url]
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-05 at 08:10 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Troll in the Playground

Default Bernam Mothberg

Cassy and Maroontree make the discovery at the same time, those are NOT cute squirrels and sparrows hopping about in the branches above. As the light hits the eyes of all the rats, they see hundreds of them drooling over the flesh below. Bats as well far too great a number to count, fluttering about from branch to branch. The larger eyes are that of wolves, lean and large ones. The wolves have climbed into the trees! Raven's darkvision allows him to see the full splendor of horror about them. Maroontree is about ready to utter a spell, when those with darkvision see yet another strange sight.

A man with a large metal cannister on his back, holds a tube that links back to the cannister. With one arm he presses a pump on the cannister, and the other arm aims the tube as cloud after cloud of smoke is blown up into the trees. The bats and rats scatter from the noxious smoke, many dying. The wolves jump to other trees.

The man has a reddish-brown beard {and could pass for a 6 foot dwarf}, he wears a metal pan, and has strange orange-lensed goggles. Almost spraying his gas at you all. "Hello! Thought you was one them! Name's Bernam Mothberg. I suggest you stay away from that mill. No good can come of it now. Excuse me, very busy. And more and more keep showing up everyday. Ah! Look'e them! I used to be a trapper here ya know. We'll got to go. I do this for free now... no-one can pay any more."
    He seems very intent on his extermination job, and will continue about his spraying unless stopped.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Barbarian in the Playground

James is a bit stunned by the appearance of the man, as he'd been squinting to try and keep alert for danger is was quite focused on that.

Err... More of what... Exactly?

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Troll in the Playground

Default The earth is alive!

"Them monsters. Moved into the area, about 4 months ago. I can't believe it took so long. The Queen that busy?
    These're undead 'creepers' in that mill, ole daddy told me all about it."
    He pats the cannister on his back, "This here's a family secret to keep'm away. It was all I could do to make a living after all the game moved on. I ain't never seen dis, 'cept when the goblins pass, or as my father says when the 'creepers' came. Then there were no game for many an odd month. When goblins pass they come back. This ain't right, and now these vermin move in. You jes look at your feet, crawlin' with nasty bugs." He gives the ground a puff of the smoke, it wilts the vegetation as well.

That crunching under your feet is not underbrush, and it ain't no fortune cookie. In the ground, beneath the grass teams with beetles, worms, and other ground crawling ugly insects. Not one pretty one, all oily and icky. Even the rats and wolves have a taint of evil nastiness to them.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Ogre in the Playground

"Seems that it is well nigh unto time to shed some light on this area." Cara nods at the man and looks at Taros with something almost like a grin. What could be more satisfying than cleansing the land of undead? She has a vague sort of disappointment that they two couldn't just be doing this on their own, actually. The idea of paving a path of light across a horde of the walking dead together has an element of romance to it.

Unable to suppress the smile that this image conjures up, Cara starts for the mill.

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Troll in the Playground

Default Nearing the mill

As Cara makes for the mill Bernam makes his way rapidly in the other way, "Don't be goin' there, unless you want to become one o' them." He will try to get away.

Cara will feel the presence of the vermin and wolves get closer as she nears the mill.

7. - Top - End - #1117

As the party focuses on the Mill, James blurts, Burn it.

He pauses.

I mean... would that be feasible? Don't the undead have a reputed weakness to fire? I have no sympathy for what the undead do to the bodies of loved ones... They must be eradicated, no?

He sounds like he's trying to convince himself for his hasty reaction.

Father...
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-09-06 at 07:59 PM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Troll in the Playground

Default Burn the Mill?

Bernam pauses and actually lifts a goggle lens to give James the crazy eye. "Burn it?!? There's women and children in there! I hear them screaming nightly."

9. - Top - End - #1119

I see. Then we must do something indeed! Uhh, Burnam, you speak as if it is quite an infestation. Do you have any clue to the numbers we may face?

In the anticipation of Heroic events including, in his own way, a bit of avenging his father, James feels the adrenaline start up he had not felt in quite some time. Goblins... Bandits... none were worthy foes. A vampire harem terrorizing the country side, he couldn't wait.
    Last edited by Vazzaroth; 2008-09-06 at 09:09 PM.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Halfling in the Playground

Marius

"Burn it just the same." he says at the man's comment about women and children. "What's to say there's even much more than a handful of survivors in there?" he says, coming to terms with being the only one to feel such a way.

"They'd be paying their land a great service by being sacrificed." he adds, more to try and convince his comrades rather than him actually believing it.
    RIP Richard Wright: 1943 - 2008

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1121

SolithKnightGuy

Taros

Taros narrows his eyes, at Marius's comment. "If it's all the same to you, let's do this the hard way. Unless you're afraid of whatever's in that barn, Marius? No need to burn innocent victims if you don't have to, is what I always say."

Turning towards the structure (while rolling his eyes), Taros draws his sword, and utters a prayer to Heironeous: "My liege, bestow upon me your blessing, that I might meet the challenges ahead with honor and valor! Bona Divinus Lux Lucis, Loricatus Sanctimonia". His armor begins to glow brightly, illuminating the area as if in the throes of daylight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Greater Luminous Armor: 6 hour duration, +8 armor bonus, opponents have a -4 to hit me in melee, and sheds light equal to a Daylight spell. So much for stealth. :D[/color]

12. - Top - End - #1122

GreataxeFighterGirl

"Wow, you'd do great in the Guild, Marius." Cassy's tone doesn't make that into a compliment.

The only appeal of the plan -- as brutal as it was -- was not having to go in and face the undead. Which she didn't like. Really, really didn't like. It's evident in the way Cassy's eyes shift around looking for an escape, in the tense way she stands, like she's about to dart off into the shadows. Like a pickpocket that's been caught. "So, though, we, uh... there's survivors..." She makes a face and resigns herself to her fate. "Fine. If I get eaten, I'm just generally gonna be pissed." Unusually, she doesn't even seem to have the energy to actually assign blame for her consumption or decide who she's going to be pissed off at. Instead, she shrugs, looking suddenly defeated and tired.

13. - Top - End - #1123

Marius

"You fail to see the whole picture. Just like the religious to throw the blinders on. All you see is the innocents. You speak of fear! Is that what all life is to you? Proving you're not afraid? Fear is irrelevant, just so much so as the false idea of innocence. We know absolutely nothing about what's in there. Why should we saunter in, prayers spouting from our lips, swinging like madmen just because this smoke-toting old man says there's innocents inside? He hears screams! Screaming is no basis to go rolling in like heroes to something we know nothing about."

He seems frustrated, torn internally. We already have a task. And it doesn't involve coming to the aid of some yokels and their boogeymen..

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1124

GreataxeFighterGirl

"Go home then." Cassy shrugs, "If you're having some sorta, whatever, crisis... just go home. I'll port you myself. Or stay the hell outside. I don't want you watching my back if you're just some big chicken spouting five copper words."

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Troll in the Playground

Default Dad's Surprise

With James taking an interest in his words for a moment, Bernam pauses in his gassing of the vermin. "How, many... lessee. Hard to say. Been more recently. But I figure this whole part of the village is infested now. Judging by this vermin. I don't know maybe 100. Maybe more." He speaks as if he were remembering heads of cattle.

When Taros begins glowing Bernam gasps, "Holy Pelor himself!"
    He tries to get Taros attention before the paladin continues. "Miller Reeker has great underground stores. If they're still alive... they'd be there. May the gods bless you all."

As Taros begins to glow this causes the vermin to back off. He also begins to sense that greater evil is coming. Now!

Cassy will hear a hauntingly familiar voice from the canopy of oak trees. The rest of you might hope it is the trees speaking, unfortunately, Cassy knows who it is without even seeing the face.
    "Oh, Casssssy. Dear Casssssy. So good to see you! I knew you would come. They said you would. It is time for you to give back all you've taken from me!! It is time for MY reward!!" The voice is altered and something is very wrong.
    In the trees are several shadowy humanoids climbing about as able as flying monkeys. One of them is Cassy's father, and he is bearing down on her about 30 feet diagonal from an oak near the creek. There are plenty of these creatures to go around, and all look like ravenous humanoids with gaunt complexions and predatory shaped faces with mouths full of sharp teeth. Vampire Spawn, at least, for sure. These humans, whatever they were all wear rags, all 20 or so of them!

You are a good distance from the mill, and are surrounded by a lot of nasty looking creatures. The humanoids in the trees are moving on you surprisingly fast. Cassy has never seen her father move as he is toward her. Completely inhuman. He has no interest in much of a conversation.

Normal humans would breakdown and start crying at the awful sight descending on them from above, and all around!

Initiatives:

James 20+3
    Vampire Spawn
    Raven 15+6
    Taros 11+1
    Bernam Mothberg
    Silveral Maroontree
    Cassy 1+6
    Marius 2+3
    Cara 1+1

OOC- It is likely some of you may be engaged or grappled before your initiatives. They seem to be waiting for you.
    Last edited by BlueWizard; 2008-09-07 at 04:48 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Ogre in the Playground

Cara looks at Marius as if he's grown a second head or a third arm. "We do not sacrifice people for the sake of convenience and personal safety, and neither do we leave the undead to roam freely." She steps forward with Taros, calling her own Power and Light to mingle with his.

Spoiler
    Show
    If there are no undead close enough to Cara to interfere with spellcasting by the time she goes, cast Radiance (PHB2). It's Daylight, plus any undead in or entering the area are automatically dazzled while they remain within the light and for 1d6 rounds after they leave it or the spell ends. Lasts 13 rounds. Counts as a 6th level [Light] spell.

If there are undead who are close enough to possibly interfere with a casting, Turn Undead instead. I'll make it a Greater Turning, because I have plenty of them.
    Level check: (1d20+3)[15] - means 13 hit dice is max affected
    Turning damage: (2d6+15)[18] - what a crappy roll
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2008-09-07 at 07:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1127

SolithKnightGuy

Taros[

Taros steels himself for the oncoming rush of creatures. And come, they would. Shield up, feet set, eyes forward! The old mantras run through his head, even as calls up the wellspring of his faith. He knew against undead, it would be Cara that would be their heavy hitter, and he intended to lend his own faith to her power.

Spoiler
    Show
    If possible, Aid Other to Cara on her turning check, otherwise I'll Turn Undead as well:

Turn check: (1d20+4)[6] - The highest HD of a creature I can affect is 7 (Cleric level -2).
    Turn Damage: (2d6+13)[19] - Total HD affected.

AC 30, Touch 21, opponents have a -4 to hit in Melee against me. Surrounded by Daylight effect.
    Last edited by Eratosthenes; 2008-09-07 at 09:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1128

Marius

Marius shakes his head. As if the reason for burning the whole building down should have been obvious. But no matter. The time for arguing has passed and the time for fighting for your life is here.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1129

((I assume we're relatively close together.))

James shifts his weight the the balls of his feet and gets ready, placing his shield in front of him. He was expecting this one.

Come on down....

Spoiler
    Show

Ready Maneuver, Mountain Avalanche: 3 or more within a 40 ft movement, and on the ground, from me.

Mountain Avelanche
    Spoiler
    Show

As part of this maneuver, you can
    move up to double your speed and
    trample your opponents. You can enter
    the space of any creature of your size
    category or smaller. If you enter and
    occupy all of the space occupied by
    such a creature, it takes damage equal
    to 2d6 + 1-1/2 times your Str bonus
    (if any).
    You can deal trampling damage to
    a creature only once per round, no
    matter how many times you move into
    or through its space. You must move
    into every square a creature occupies
    to trample it. If you move over only
    part of the space a creature occupies
    (for example, you are a Large creature
    moving over half the space of a Large
    opponent), it can either attempt an
    attack of opportunity against you or
    it can attempt a Refl ex save (DC 15 +
    your Str modifier) to avoid half of your
    trampling damage.
    points of Constitution damage in addition to your normal damage.

2d6+7 to anyone I hit. DC 20 for large creatures to avoid.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

20. - Top - End - #1130

GreataxeFighterGirl

Cassy's shocked for a few seconds. She hadn't seen her father in years, and now he's some sort of undead minion thing. Actually, kinda an improvement. "That yapping one's my dad. Kill him first if you can."

Spoiler
    Show

If anyone engages her, Dimension Door 300' straight up. It's V only.

She has a Ring of Feather Fall, so she'll just float back down and rain destruction on their stupid undead heads. If she needs to, she'll do the spell as a Silent Spell, so she doesn't even have to speak. Her Concentration is 14, well probably should be 15 now, and she'll cast defensively if she needs to.

If she isn't engaged, but thinks people are coming for her, she'll cast Fly and fly straight up.

And if no one bothers her or looks like they will, she'll nuke her dad with Scorching Ray. 3 rays of 4d6 each.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Troll in the Playground

Default Vampiric Swarm Attack

OOC- Some of this could change depending on James' action, he will be moved through a double action, and I'll put him at the end, so I can post the enemies' attack 1st for this battle.

Round 1:
    James readies himself.... in Avalanche stance... the land is not ideal for running too much. It is the woods with brush. There is some room to run.

Everything comes alive, Cara and Taros in particular will feel bugs begin to try and squeeze into their armor. The rats and bats swarm them, and even the wolves leap down to attack! {OOC-For now their armor protected them, but Taros can since greater evil still lurking above. Both are -1 to actions due to the physical annoyance... it seems to be getting worse. Both will need concentration checks to cast.}

James {likely hacks something good...}

Silveral Maroontree is swarmed by 3 of the lanky humanoids. Strange looking hill-billy type people wearing rags of clothing. Maroontree is grappled!!

Only Cassy's father, who's tossed aside on his grappling attempt, wears remnants of anything that might've once been nice. Cassy's sure even if he came across money, this was from the K-mart knock-off equivalent that might've been in a noble boutique. Two wolves will aid Senior van Otren in his attack on his daughter. Cassy deftly avoids, and is unhurt! "You're so strong Cassy!" IT says to her small frame. He's not so big, but Cassy sees him stretch and tower over her. He was definitely imbued with 'extra' magic of some sort, and looked meaner than the rest. Cassy might think he's a full-fledged vampire.

Everyone puts up a good defense, and only Marius receives a bite. It is a nasty one, these wolves seem 'juiced'. {-6, and I rolled low}
    There are still humanoids up in the trees moving about.
    Hold Round 1------------------->

Initiatives:
    Vampire Spawn
    Raven 15+6
    Taros 11+1
    Bernam Mothberg
    Silveral Maroontree
    Cassy 1+6
    Marius 2+3
    Cara 1+1
    End Round Here---------------->
    James 20+3

OOC- I'll wait a little longer for the others... probably after football.

22. - Top - End - #1132

Marius

Cringing at the 'biting' pain in his arm, Marius lets out a yell. His anger at the beast for trying to feast on him as well as frustration that they should be somewhere else at this moment fuels his attack.

Spoiler
    Show

Full attack.

Attack 1 - (1d20+16)[34]
    Attack 1 Damage - (2d6+7)[15]

Attack 2 - (1d20+11)[16]
    Attack 2 Damage - (2d6+7)[11]

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1133

Raven

Raven is about to add his voice to the discussion when the night sky seems to fall in around them in the form of vicious undead. For an instant his thoughts go to the holy symbol around his neck, but his faith was not that of Cara or even Taros.

Though he was without holy light, perhaps cleansing fire would avail him. Raven responds with fiery fury to any attacks and then swings his great blade down on the nearest undead.

Spoiler
    Show

Child of Shadow Stance - Grants Concealment (20% miss chance)

Raven responds to any attack that lands on him with Fire Repost maneuver (immediate action melee touch attack - (1d20+18)[35] for fire damage - (4d6)[13])

Raven then lays into the nearest undead or two with an attack.
    attack1 - (1d20+18)[35] damage - (3d6+10)[23]
    attack2 - (1d20+13)[16] damage - (3d6+10)[21]

If Raven gets grappled, he may try to evade rather than attack.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #1134

SolithKnightGuy

Taros

Seeing the caster overwhelmed, Taros rushes to his aid, ignoring the fel creatures attacking him. The dragon face on his shield animates, gnashing at the one of the lanky boys on the hapless caster.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to Maroontree, attack one of the skinny gits

AC 30, 21 Touch
    113/113 HP

Attack: (1d20+17)[34] Damage: (1d8)[7] + 8 + (1d6)[6] Electricity = 21 damage

Attack(Dragon shield): (1d20+10)[12] Damage: (2d6)[6]
    Last edited by Eratosthenes; 2008-09-07 at 06:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Troll in the Playground

Default Vampire Spawn Swarm

Round 1: Vamp-spawn

Nothing even touched Raven as four monsters and vermin seemed to envelop him! Though the bugs were starting to 'tickle' his feet. He turns one of the vampire spawn gaseous, and it seeps into the ground as it escapes to its grave. His two blows severely hurt it.

Taros can see that Maroontree has none of his items... he'd left those in camp. Taros shocks one of them feasting on Maroontree, and it too seeps into the earth. Maroontree is alive, but definitely has been drained. Taros is scratched on the back as he aids the elf. The paladin feels the cold drain of death upon himself. {-1 Level; d:5, failed save-fumble} He does manage to draw the attention of all the evilness around Maroontree.

Bernam starts pumping away on the canister only annoying the spawn attacking him. He does wear solid plates on part of his body.

Maroontree is able to fight his way up this round, and tries to take a defensive stance, though his body crawls entirely with cockroaches and worms. He fiercely tries to maintain poise.

Cassy casts defensively with more than her father around her, and jets up straight to the tops of the oaktrees, weaving a little on her way up. Her father looks up with a scary grin. "Well! Look what you can do!"

Marius batters one of the spawn and turns it to gas form. Clearly their lairs are near, and underground. On this side of the creek.

Cara shines the bright light of Pelor and she 'dusts' all 4 of the four spawn on her. She is still annoyed by the vermin.

James {unsure on how this works still}....

Taros draws the attention from Maroontree with his heroics, and most of the monsters attack him. One vamp-spawn does batter the elf, but he's still fighting! Most of you are able to put up a good defense of the swarming attack.
    Cassy's father leaps and climbs up the tree after her.
    We propels himself toward her. "I can fly too!" To Cassy's horror her nasty father is after her quickly. This seems to not be the norm among most of these spawn. "They gave me a little more."

Marius is scratched and drained by an attacker. He feels the chill of death over him. No-one else is bothered, but Taros and Cara are beginning to feel worse abou the vermin interfering with them. {-2 to rolls}

End Round 1------------------------->

Initiatives:
    Raven 15+6
    Taros 11+1
    Bernam Mothberg
    Silveral Maroontree
    Cassy 1+6
    Marius 2+3
    Cara 1+1
    End Round Officually Here---------------->
    James 20+3
    Vampire Spawn

26. - Top - End - #1136

Raven

Troubled by the growing mass of vermin at his ankles, Raven bounces briefly on the balls of his feet and hurls himself nearly straight up and over the nearest undead, lashing out again with his great blade at the thing's head, and tumbling mid-air to land surprisingly on his feet, well away from the slavering spawn.

Spoiler
    Show

Child of Shadow Stance (Concealment 20% miss chance)

Claw at the Moon Maneuver (make a Jump check against opponent's AC to do +2d6 damage as you assault them from above)
    attack1 - (1d20+18)[37] damage - (3d6+10)[16]
    Jump Check - (1d20+37)[57] if that beats his AC damage - (2d6)[8]
    (With that Jump Check, Raven clears a vertical distance of 16 feet and a horizontal distance of 57 feet. He doesn't go that far, just far enough to be out of reach of the spawn.)

Attempts a DC 15 Tumble check, if needed, to avoid any AoOs tumble - (1d20+13)[33]

Fire Repost Manuever against any that actually do him damage immediate melee touch attack - (1d20+18)[30] fire damage - (4d6)[15]

Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2008-09-07 at 10:55 PM.
    Forum Rules

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

Cara just can't vaporize them fast enough this way. She pulls down power in a different sort of way, hoping to tackle as many as possible at once. A column of barely perceptible light smashes down all around her, filling the area with a momentary brightness, then fading away just as quickly as it came.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Holy Smite. Center it wherever it will affect the most creatures (20 foot radius). Preferably avoid getting James in the AoE, as Cara recalls him being neutral.
    Roll for casting defensively in OOC thread.
    CL is 13 for this spell, if it matters. Will DC is 20.
    Damage: (5d8)[17]

28. - Top - End - #1138

Marius

Marius always sought a warrior's death, but this was unacceptable, nor was this the right time. He feels that cold feeling that is always described as the chill grip of death. But now was not that time for him. Well, if he had any say.

Spoiler
    Show

Marius will use the Kensai's special ability Power Surge to increase his strength by 8. The DC is 15 on Concentration.

Concentration Check - (1d20+10)[20]

That will last until the next round at Marius' initiative call.

Then Marius will attack the nearest spawn or whichever beastie is closest.

If Power Surge succeeds;
    Attack - (1d20+19)[28]
    Damage - (2d6+11)[23]

If Power Surge fails;
    Attack - (1d20+15)[34]
    Damage - (2d6+7)[12]

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1139

SolithKnightGuy

Taros: 103/108 HP AC 30 (-4 to be hit in melee), 21 Touch

The icy touch of death causes the knight to grit his teeth. The itching, crawling, biting swarm is also going from nuisance to threat. "We need to find their lair and permanently destroy these abominations. Cassy - do you have anything that can eliminate this swarm?" shouts Taros above the noise, as he sets into the spawn before him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack: -1 for level drain, -2 from vermin
    Attack: (1d20+14)[26] Dam: (1d8)[3] + (1d6)[2] Electricity + 8
    Attack: (1d20+9)[10] Dam: (1d8)[2] + (1d6)[5] Electricity + 8
    Dragon Shield Attack: (1d20+10)[30] Dam: (2d6)[7]

30. - Top - End - #1140

GreataxeFighterGirl

Cassy slowly floats down through the air. She's had dreams like this. They were better. They didn't involve her dead-now-undead father rocketing up through the air at her. "If I get back down there alive I can make stuff not move towards me for a bit. That's about it without killing you in the process. Maybe a scroll. Um, kinda busy, my dad is trying to eat me." This is so not okay.

Spoiler
    Show

Cassy was at 300', this round she would have fallen 60', so she is at 240' feet.

What rate is her father moving upwards? Is he going to meet her before her next action? (If he's using anything similar to the Fly spell he should only be able to move upwards at half his flying movement speed. Also, Cassy has Fly and is pretty bright, so she should be able to estimate if she's going to get eaten before she can cast again. She's been able to observe his flying speed.)

If he isn't going to be in melee next round, she'll cast Disintegrate at him. If he is, she'll cast Dimension Door and land herself back behind Cara.