New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Go South, Young Man! [IC]

If there's a bad taste in your mouth, it'd be because you've just spent the better part of last week amidst Brevic "nobility". While not one of the over-dressed bastard is worth a damn, at least they're paying you well to go into the Stolen Lands.

It seems as though every single thrice-damned Swordlord is wearing a ten dollar Stetson on a five-cent head. It is the height of stupidity to believe that their plans are in any way deceptive. In theory, their only concern is for you to map out the southern lands and deal with the bandits and creatures who continually prowl around on Rostland's borders. The reality is that Restov wants to challenge the Surtova hold on the throne, and to do that they need an allied kingdom to back their play. For want of an ally, they've decided to create one.

For whatever reason, dealing with these popinjays provides you a grand opportunity.

The Swordlords of Restov, with their abysmally stupid titles, saw fit to haphazardly flank you with four other adventurers, who you'd only just then met. After a short speech (the content of which isn't even worth remembering), they sent you out the gates, with instructions to take the road east and then south to start your exploration at Oleg's Trading Post, about a day's travel into the wilderness.

Your charter, officially, is to effect an organized search of the environs around Oleg's trading post, with a loose set of boundaries. You will be paid for each plot of land you are able to map, with a bonus dispensed for every rogue agent, ruffian, highwayman, bandit, monstrous creature, etc., etc., etc. you kill or capture, in addition to other threats.

With that, you found yourself trudging south with your four erstwhile compatriots until you reached Oleg's Trading Post.

Last edited by ♠Spade♠; 2016-05-30 at 02:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Go South, Young Man!

Eyotok

Eyotok rides Nakka his trustworthy steed with the group of non-Shoanti companions. It was an unusual task for him, he found himself doing, but one he hoped would be good for him. Stability and friendship were things his life had come to lack and he was still in the wilds, more or less.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Nala sprawls on the bench of her cart, appearing for all the world to be half asleep and totally bored. In truth she is keeping a very careful eye out for anything even remotely suspicious. Despite the fancy words those bumbling fools sent them out here with, the only laws in these parts are lead, gunsmoke, and steel.

Her lawbringer just happens to be stowed under the seat easily within reach. Her walking stick, and thus her 'third law' is propped up next to her. She gives Horus a gentle tap with the reins, just to keep up appearances really he's a smart enough horse to follow the road all on his own.

"Is it just me or is anyone else hoping that this trading post has a half way decent saloon? There's not gonna be much comfort out here besides a stiff drink."
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2016-05-17 at 09:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Zander sighs, looking up at the open sky. This was far from an ideal solution, but even if he had stayed in Restov, Boss Sharptooth would have found him. This expedition was a godsend. He missed the city already, but there was nothing else for it. Who knows, maybe this trip would be good for him.

Zander looks around at the open plains, and shakes his head. Too much space. It made him uncomfortable.

"Is it just me or is anyone else hoping that this trading post has a half way decent saloon? There's not gonna be much comfort out here besides a stiff drink."

Zander grins, turning to the half-elf. "Oh, honey, amen to that. A good whiskey and a warm meal would sit in my belly well right about now."

He scratches Stephen behind the ears, and the horse snorts. "And maybe some nice hay for you, eh Stephen?"
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I could definitely use a good meal. Meditation only gets you so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Doc Shocklock stumbled in after the reset of the group, patting himself on the chest and sides as he made a list in his head. "Phospherous.. sulfer.. fourty-milimeter glass tubes. Hat! That's it, where is my hat! after a few moments his hands move to his head and pull the hat off his head. "Ah right! My head! What am I forgetting?"
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

As you traveled, the farmlands of southern Brevoy fall away and the road at your feet was no longer quite so well maintained.

The land itself has that frontier look about it- a mix of scraggly bushes and shocks of grass interspersed amongst hardscrabble, dry soil. The odd tree struggles to maintain life, though in the distance you spot verdant forests. It's hard land, but with work, can become good land.

As you cross into the Stolen Lands, you get the feeling that you are being watched. However, that feeling's source, and to what purpose they do so is a mystery to you. Regardless, you reach Oleg's trading post unmolested near dusk.

Oleg's trading post is a handful of small buildings surrounded by a wooden palisade; the place used to be a border fort before Oleg acquired it. The remote location and distance from the Thorn River have prevented his business from being much of a success, which he's okay with; he only ever wanted to make a living for himself and his wife away from "civilization."

As you enter, you see that the place is mostly empty, save for Oleg, who you spot working on the roof of one of his buildings, and Svetlana, who issues forth from a porch with an excited look on her face.

Spoiler: Oleg's Trading Post
    Show

For our purposes, the fort is lacking the catapults.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Pulling Horus to a stop Nala gives a friendly waves. "Hello there!"

Hopping off of her cart, Nala takes her walking stick but leaves her gun for now. "Rooms for five? And a couple of horses?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Zander gave a lazy wave, not getting off Stephen quite yet. "Would you happen to be Oleg? Name's Zander. That's Nala, Eyotok, Thrond, and the funny looking one we call Doc Shockstock. We're...explorers. Commissioned by Restov. I also here there's a bit of a bandit problem here abouts...?"
    No news is good news.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Thrond leaped down from the cart, doing a kata to stretch his achy muscles. Indeed, such varmints need extermination, if they meddle in the affairs of such good folk.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Eyotok

Eyotok nods at the mention at his name and dismounts looking around at the fort.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

"We've more than enough room for you and your horses," Svetlana gushes. "I'm glad you got in today, tomorrow would be too late." Clambering down from the roof, Oleg stalks over to you and adds "The bastards'll be here in the morning to collect their 'tax'." Glowering at the party suspiciously, he asks "Explorers, eh? I don't suppose you'll be explorenating where these bandits that are draining us are laired up, will you?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"Explodinating? I'll get right on that! Though I still don't know what I'm forgetting. Were do they come in from? Are they flammable?" Shocklock rambles on, having set out a small kit by this time and going through vials. "Ah! Newtonian Glaciate! I need to stock back up on that! Wait no, Bandits? We're about to be taxed by bandits? When did they become mayor? Ah right, Explodination. Well I've got this here.." he pulls back his sleeve showing off a small wooden tube with a tight spring, currently loaded with another piece of very pointy sharp wood. I call it a Translocational Pokeinator. You poke things with it a distance."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Eyotok

Eyotok looks at Shocklock and rolls his eyes. "Part of our task is to eliminate bandits and bring order to these lands."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Nala grins impishly, "It's my personal policy to pay all tax collectors in less precious metals." Glancing around Nala makes a suggestion, "Why don't we get everything stowed and then you can tell us about these 'taxmen' and how we can best rid you of them. Maybe if it's still light enough you can give us a lay of the land from the tops of those walls."
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2016-05-24 at 06:44 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

"The bastards first showed up about three months ago, saying if we didn't hand over all the furs and what trade goods we've gotten, they were going to burn the place down and drag of my wife for their own amusements. They've come back twice more, each time more impatient than the last. The first time there were about a dozen of them, led by a cloaked gunman and a woman carrying a pair of hatchets. The bitch nearly cut my hand in two", he says holding up his hand and showing a very nasty scar that has only barely healed. "Then she took Svetlana's wedding band as payment for not cutting it off at the wrist. She hasn't been back since. The second visit was just the gunman leading only a halfdozen, and the third was just him and another four. They're supposed to be back again tomorrow."

Svetlana clears her throat and smiles at you. "That's quite enough heavy talk for right this moment. Now come on in and eat; I've made up a nice stew with warm bread, and there's even a whole bottle of wine the bandits have neglected to steal."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Nala scowls at the story told by the beleaguered traders. "After tomorrow they won't be troubling anyone ever again."

At Svetlana's offer of food Nala's expression brightens, "That sounds lovely!" she says, but while she is too polite to say it she thinks, Ugh, wine. I hate wine. Not that tonight would be a night for indulging heavily in any event. Hopefully I can get away with refusing but still be nice about it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Zander's grin grew wider as he dismounted. "Stew? Bread? Drink? That sound wonderful. Many thanks, miss." He clapped a hand on Doc's shoulder. "Doc, remember. Explodinating bad guys, explorinating land." As he started guiding Stephen to where the horse could be stabled, he began to take stock of the surrounding buildings. There was time to prepare for those who would come in the morning. At the very least, getting a good position to fire from would be ideal.
    No news is good news.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Finishing his kata, Thrond says The food sounds lovely, but no wine for me; I don't indulge in such imperfections.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Eyotok

Eyotok nods at the description of events and the bandits. He was content to let the conversation lapse for now at Svetlana's request. He nodded and smiled in thanks for the meal

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"Heavy? Nothing we were talking about had anything to do with the gravitational pull of the land we are standing in. Though sustenance would be needed, but I too will have only watered down wine. We've got an early day tomorrow if we are to properly explodinate the bandits." he glances to Zander "Exploring?! No one said anything about exploring! Wait.. no, someone did. Was that what I was forgetting? No.. I remember it was something else. "

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Svetlana fetches the dinner, which you gleefully scent long before you sight. A hot stew of wild vegetables and elk meat, boiled potatoes from a small patch outside the rear wall, and bread baked fresh this afternoon. She offers everyone their choice of beer, whiskey, wine, or water to drink as well. After the wonderful meal, Oleg gets right down to business. "How are you going to deal with the bandits in the morning?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Nala wolfs down a full plate of food like she hasn't eaten in a week. Swallowing hard she takes a sip of water before answering Olaf, "Give 'em the chance to find a new line of work, which they won't take, and then like I said," she reaches over to her walking stick and reveals about an inch of the blade hidden inside. "We'll pay 'em in less precious metals."
    Last edited by PallentisLunam; 2016-05-27 at 01:51 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Delicious food, and whiskey? Oleg, you are a lucky man!" Zander polishes off the last of his meal, and gently nurses his drink. The perpetual lazy smile starting to fade. "Aye, fill them with steel and iron, yes. But we should have a better plan than just put the pointy end in the ones trying to take our money." He starts to massage his temples. "Eyotok, Doc, how good are you two at being stealthy like? Could get the three of us on rooftops. Raining hell down on em, while Thrond and Nala tie em up down below. Take positions on the top of the stable, and that bunk over there. Use the carts and tables outside to make things difficult for anybody trying to reach us."
    No news is good news.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

That works for me; I work better close up.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Nala smirks and nods, "Just how I like it, too."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Eyotok

Eyotok smiles. "I can remain unseen against humans easily and deal with them with my bow."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

"I've never snuck around anywhere and I'm not going to start now! Maybe later. But certainly not now, not with these bandits about! What we need is a trap. A hole perhaps, with spikes. I'd call it the translocational pokinator. Ah Yes! Cloth. Dirt.. A lattice work of sticks to hold up leaves and dirt and make it look like there is no translocational pokinator where they are about to step into!"

He says, drawing up a small sketch of a spiked pit.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Eyotok

Eyotok smiles. "A pit trap is not much good against a group and is a lot of work to make and hard to make inconspicuous. Not to mention filling in afterward."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Thats why we also get a very large wheel that spins with colors, swirling in a pattern like so.. The distractonator. And we can fill the pit with their bodies."