New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Eternal Hunt IC

"To the Esteemed Sir or Madam,
    Your skills are well-known, and I can make use of them. As you may or may not have yet heard, the gods have bestowed a gift of eternal life upon a master tracker. Now that he no longer fears death, he no longer fears anything. He safely views the entire world as his prey, and humans are far more interesting to track than beasts.

We are in a fight against time. It is at this point that I must call upon you to prove yourself not just a man/woman of renown, but one of courage, selflessness, and valor in the face of a foe the likes of which the world has never before seen. I ask that you join me at Abadar's Vault, in the city of Pangolais. Be warned that the treacherous nation of Nidal is no safe place for a rookie. But I trust that you have the power to make it there yourselves.

Farewell, and may you escape the hunter in your travels!
    S"

This letter was sent to each of the four soon-to-be companions (well, to three of them, and one person who would never make it. But his legend would be for another day). Each of them has made their way to the dangerous and deadly city of Pangolais, the capital of Nidal. Nidal, a once proud envoy of the Chelish Empire, is a bastion of danger and despair now. Each champion of the various realms has faced beasts, warriors, and thieves on their road here, but here they have all come. For it is here, in Pangolais, that these chosen heroes may find hope to defeat the undefeatable, a hunter of great renown. Rexxar the Immortal.

No one knows how or why he has become this way, but the results are clear. Attacks against him seem futile. Rest is no longer a limitation. He does not eat, he does not sleep, he does not breathe. He simply hunts, and he will hunt whatever interests him most at the time. Clearly at this point, that is humans.

Rumors of his presence are starting to spread. Villages disappearing overnight. Animal pelts found scattered all over the woods. Even a hydra, slain and tattered in one region.

Now the group has gathered together. They have all come to the same inn, to search for clues to the answer of what is 'Abadar's Vault'.

The Heartseeker's Aim is an archery-themed bar, guild, and general hangout. Each table has a target turned over on it, and the drinks are placed near the bulls-eye. Darts is a common game, and is the most prominent form of gambling here. Though each member of the group arrives here individually without knowing the others, by the time they have all gathered they can see two dwarves and a halfling playing darts by the corner. There is an open fire going, and next to the fire is a beautiful half-elf woman singing lyrics in her native tongue. A group of human men have moved their tables closer so they can enjoy the melody. There is a board of jobs, and to keep up with the theme, each job is fastened to the board by an arrow. The innkeeper is a massive minotaur male, speaking gruffly to anyone who approaches him.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: The Eternal Hunt IC

When Morcambe entered the inn, he strode confidently up to the bar and clambered on to a stool that was clearly not made with him in mind. He rapped on that bar a few more times, drawing a brilliantly glowing ampoule of green viscous fluid from his coat and setting it on the bar.

“Ho, good barman! I suspect by your clientele you know a good deal when you see one. For a draught of your finest, and three more copies of the same throughout the evening, I offer you this potion.”

He held up the rounded bottle, letting the glowing green slide about. He pointedly peered through the liquid at the barkeep.

“It is guaranteed to make your luck that of the gods and goddesses themselves. You may - indeed you must - ask yourself, in these troubled times, how can I trust the word of one I have not ever seen. Sir, I am none other than Morcambe the Magnificent, known far and wide. Drinks for a wonder is not an unfair trade surely.”

He grinned winningly, extending the bottle in his hand.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexaras enters rather unremarkable. A gnome with short pink hair and magenta skin. Her clothing was on a simple with stitch lines and layering serving as decoresion. Few patches were in different shade of brown to break monotony of simple leather.

Upon quick glance Lexara sees this place as rather uninteresting. There is a bard but only a single guy listening to her. That's kinda sad. She goes to find herself a sit near the bard. Music isn't all that her style but at lest singer isn't all that bad looking. Even so it's not long before she start fidgeting. She summons a small neon pink fluffy string of magic and has it move between her fingers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Jewel arrives at the tavern while the sun is still shining, hood drawn up around her shoulders and observing the place from across the street. She can't help but be instinctively suspicious of this situation - obviously, it wasn't meant for her, but she's survived getting here, at least. That must be some kind of sign. At the very least, she's quite glad that Rexxar only seems to be hunting humans, and not goblins. That's good news.

She's holding the letter right now. The paper is soft and crinkled by this point, with how many times she has taken it out and read it over, again and again, questioning if this is really the thing she should be doing. She had stolen this chance away from someone else, and it had provided a good reason for her to leave the city that was starting to get old (and a little dangerous, for someone with an approximation of their face on wanted posters). But she definitely wasn't the person that this letter was meant for.

That was what had her stalling for so long outside the inn. Likely, the person that sent the letters would be looking for the strong human man that she had plucked the letter from. Not a tiny goblin. But - when she sees a goblin enter the inn later that evening, it gives her a little more confidence. It's only a few minutes longer before Jewel goes in the tavern, scanning the place until she finds the other goblin. She's just in time to hear him introduce himself - Morcambe the Magnificent - what a name that is. But figuring their kind should stick together, she hops up into the seat beside him, big yellow eyes peeking out from under her hood as she offers the other goblin a smile. "I can pay for the first round," she offers quietly, almost too quiet to hear, as she takes two silver from her pocket and slides them across to the minotaur. "House best for myself and Morcambe, here," she requests. Making friends seemed like a good first step - and making friends with her own kind would be easier than anything else.
    S C R E A M I N G is always a free action.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

-Guy, "How to be a Great Game Master"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elufin makes his way cautiously through the streets of Pangolais. He is wearing a simple, worn set of traveler's clothes under a breastplate that seems to have seen its fair share of battle already. His helmet and shield are stowed, but he keeps a hand on the hilt of his blade, just in case. Nidal is a rough place, that's for sure. Soon enough, he finds his way to the tavern, hopefully to meet the mysterious person who had sent them this letter.

He pauses for a moment when he hears the singing--certainly not what he had expected to hear in a place like this. Stepping inside, he pauses for a moment at the odd assortment of people inside. Two goblins ordering drinks from a minotaur was not something he'd ever expected to see. Elufin walks over to the bar, taking a seat nearby. "I'll have a mug of your strongest as well," he says, looking up at the towering minotaur and pushing a couple of silver pieces across the counter. He turns to listen to the half-elf singing as he waits for his drink.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

6. - Top - End - #6

The group of men part to make way for Lexaras as she sits down. Since she doesn't have a drink, she can spend more time taking in the surroundings. The woman seems to be singing about being lost in a forest. She's running, she's trying to escape, but there are trees everywhere. For some reason, she is distracted and entranced by the trees. Her voice is passionate and her dancing is hypnotic.

The barkeep stares at Morcambe the Magnificent, over the vial rather than through it. He snorts in response to the offer. "A drink is 2 silver, kid. Pay it or get out."

When Jewel slides the coins forward, the minotaur's expression changes. He relaxes, and pours a nice brew for the goblin. He sets it down in front of her, the mug nearly as big as her head. "Sure thing. Two more silver for another drink, though."

Elufin enters soon after and the minotaur's mood improves again, likely because he wasn't expecting so much business tonight. But before he can take Elufin's silver, a man clears his throat behind them.

"Begging your pardon, Lane, but could you give that nice woman a refund? I'll be paying for their drinks tonight."

The minotaur nods quickly and tosses Jewel her two coins, before setting a pair of heavy mugs in front of Morcambe the Magnifcient and Elufin.

The group turns around to find the speaker.

Spoiler
    Show

"Well, now. Hello everyone. I am called 'S'. I wonder if..."

His eyes settle on Jewel. "Hm. Well now, Connor. You seem a lot shorter than the last time I saw you. And you have larger ears. And...you're a woman now."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The small goblin takes the tankard with both hands - it's rather large, and she's about to ask Morcambe if he would mind splitting it, since the two silver is all she really wanted to spend, when the door swings open again. She turns immediately at the sound of the voice speaking right behind them, and the sight of the man, the look in his eyes... though she's never met him before, she is somehow struck by the realization that this must be 'S'. Jewel blushes right up to the tips of her ears when the tall, strong-looking human addresses her. It's a good thing the man can't really see them, she decides, as she pulls the hood of her cloak closer around her cheeks. "I... begging your pardon, sir," she begins. She has been rehearsing what she was going to say for quite some time, now. The entire way here, she's been trying to figure out how she was going to explain herself. But now, when suddenly confronted with the person and his remarks about how she's... not who she's supposed to be, not the man who was supposed to come, the words lock up in her throat and her tongue gets all tangled. "I came by the letter, and since... I thought, 'well, you know, someone has to show up, and if this letter didn't get to who it was supposed to...' ...I mean..." she trails off helplessly, giving a tiny shrug and sigh when words fail her. "I'm Jewel."
    Last edited by hannahbbug3; 2018-09-20 at 09:12 PM.

If you don't have a group that supports you - if you instead have a group that judges you - find a different group, trust me. It's not worth your life to waste it on a bunch of hyenas who serve no value to you aside from keeping you down. Everyone deserves to have a say at the table regardless of how they do it.

8. - Top - End - #8

Beholder

Morcambe turned to the other goblin and beamed broadly. After being summarily denied by the minotaur he extended the vial in her direction.

“His short sighted loss is your gain then, Miss Jewel, and a fine and appropriate name it is. Please accept this emerald liquid in exchange for your kindness. It is a delight to see folk of class and intelligence here, such as ourselves. To your health!”

He drank from the cup, setting it down and noticing that others were gathering around. “It is getting powerfully crowded here. The more the merrier!”

Finally he noticed the person who had ostensibly called them all here. “Our patron shows themself! How fortuitous!”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Absently, Jewel takes the potion from Morcambe, squirreling it away somewhere on her person, into one of the many pockets in her clothing. She doesn't really take a close look at it, she'd heard the alchemist's spiel on the qualities of the potion while she was coming in. Whether or not it was reliable was something she could check out later - for now, she wasn't even sure if she would be welcome here for much longer. Perhaps she should drink the luck elixir now, come to think of it...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara let’s go of magical string she was playing with letting disburse in the air. So 2 goblins were also called here by the S. At first she don’t like the idea as history between gnomes and goblins wasn’t a very happy one but then from what S said they may not be goblins. For not she decides to watch and see how situation develops.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elufin glances at the exchange--so it seems one of those goblins wasn't the one summoned. He leans back a bit and waits to see how this mysterious "S" responds to the little goblin.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #12

S stares at Jewel for a long moment, before he laughs.

"A sense of honor and duty, coming from a thief? Well now, that gives me hope that humanity might survive this war yet. Welcome aboard, Jewel. I hope you are as capable as we need you to be. For you see, everyone, things have gotten very serious very quickly."

He turns to the woman sitting by the stage. "Lexara, please. Come over and have a drink. We have much to discuss."

S sits down at the bar and looks at each one of them in turn.

"A steady hand in battle. A quick mind in the lab. Experience in the wilderness. And...well, I was going to say 'a reputation for solving disputes', but honestly I'm not too sure what she can do," he confesses, trying to keep a positive outlook. "Each of you brings something important to the table that will allow you to combat the problems that Rexxar the Immortal presents. There are many paths you can take to solve this crisis, and I am willing to help you along the way. Indeed, my first step was to bring you all together, and I hope that you will be able to work together as a team to decide on your course of action and accomplish your goals. To start with, however, I would suggest that you gather together with me in front of Abadar's Vault, and we might find an important clue to our salvation."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara walks over. Yet, it turn how this really this goblins she will have to work with. Probably better than drunks playing darts. A bit of a shame Elven bard won't be going with them. "Sure.. " One she says a sit "but there is something I feel I need to adress. I'm far from strongest out there, most often surviving by fleeing. I feel like there is diffinly someone better suited to join team that’s going to challenge an immortal"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elufin nods as well to the gnome's question. "I agree. I don't think I know you, and there are plenty more in my company who have proven themselves on the battlefield just as much as I have." Of course, as far as he knew no one else had spontaneously healed an ally's wounds for no apparent reason, but the stranger couldn't have heard about that--could he? In any case, it had just been a one-time fluke. Elufin wasn't even sure if it was anything he had done that had somehow managed it. "Not to be ungrateful, of course. I am flattered by your confidence, I just hope it is not misplaced."

-----

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Jewel settles down a little bit more as the others gather around, and it seems she's been accepted into their number. She doesn't say much, just listening to this 'S' fellow as he speaks, and the others as they voice their concerns. Well... she's at least a little relived to not be surrounded by blind confidence. Their concerns reflect her own, unvoiced ones.

16. - Top - End - #16

S raises his hands. "Calm down, everyone. I assure you, you were selected for your skills. Now please, follow me."

He leads them outside, where the group is greeted by a troop of three knights.

"So, these are the heroes?"

"Rather short for valiant warriors."

"But if S vouches for them, there must be something special about them."

The knights look at each other, before they draw their blades.

"En garde!"

S chuckles. "Apologies for the short notice everyone, but think of this as a bit of a team-building exercise. You see, only the three Knights of Order can grant a person access to Abadar's Vault. You'll need to prove your skills to them first hand."

It's a battle!

Spoiler
    Show
    The streets are 20' wide and stretch in both directions at least 40' before curving. The knights are set up in an arrow attack formation, with one in the center ahead of the other two who are parallel. At the moment, Elufin is 20' away from the lead knight, while Jewel is 30' away from the right knight and Lexara is 30' away from the left knight. Morcambe the Magnificent is 40' away from the lead knight, 20' behind Elufin.

The streets are bustling and littered with trash, so you treat it all as difficult terrain. You can only Stride at half speed, and you cannot Step at all.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Reflexes taking over, Elufin drops into a combat stance, retrieving his shield from his back and drawing his longsword from its scabbard. He gives his companions a quick glance--none of them appear particularly well armed or armored. He knows better than to underestimate them for that alone, though he doubts any of them would fare too well on the business end of those blades. "Stay close behind me," he tells the group, matching the stance of the knights across from him. "A warning would have been nice," he says somewhat flatly to "S."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Are we rolling initiative, or...? DM says we are using block initiative. So here go my actions:

1) Ready shield so I get its bonus to AC
    2) Move 10ft toward the lead knight (or 15ft, depending on how the halving of 25 works--I was assuming you round down)
    3) Wait there, so they will have to spend at least one action to reach me.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-09-24 at 11:15 PM.

-----

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara wasn't convinced my S claim that they skill are in fact sufficient, but she isn’t about go down to some knight. She will prove herself. She reaches to pouch on her belt and pulls out small piece of kiwano fruit throwing it to the air, says few words language most won’t understand. Lastly she makes small loop with her finger and points into the guards. Shells start glowing and explodes into 3 parts, one purple, one lilac, and one magenta. Each of the pieces sparkles and fly onto guard.

Spoiler: OCC
    Show
    Oh boi, I feel like that may kill guard, but IC Lexara is way overasumanting guards and her team. Anyways is using all 3 actions to cast magic missile, so here is damage: (3d4+3)[10]

For ones speaking Sylvan, here what she says
    Spoiler: Sylvan
    Show
    Purple, lilac, magenta, glitter, smight!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Jewel, eyes wide, decides to stick with the largest target. If she's hiding behind Elufin, no one will attack her. She'd be like a pebble behind a mountain.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Taking all actions to stay literally right behind Elufin. Got both shortswords out.

20. - Top - End - #20

Beholder

Morcambe sweeps back his coat with a flourish, but at the same time sensibly staying behind the armored compatriot. He draws two vials, hurling the first at the closest knight. As it breaks open, the previously inert powder reacts with the air, igniting into a burning shower of alchemist’s fire.

Show

Rolling to Throw: (1d20)[15](15) + 3 (2 for stat, 1 for level, right?)
    [/rollv]
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2018-09-25 at 03:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

The knight who is struck by the magic missiles staggers in surprise, but charges forward anyway! He nearly reaches Lexara, but unfortunately has to spend too much time dodging passerby and various items thrown about on the ground to strike her properly.

Spoiler
    Show
    He spends an action to Stride forward 10', then uses the Sudden Charge feat to move up an additional 25'. He ends his turn with just 5' of distance between them.

The other flanking knight grumbles and waves his hand to try and smother the fire falling onto him. He takes aim and fires his crossbow at Morcambe the Magnificent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending an Interact action to put out the persistent fire damage.

Spending an action to take the Point-Blank Shot stance, giving him a +2 bonus to damage rolls with ranged weapons within his first range increment.

Strike action
    (1d20+6)[12]
    (1d8+2)[4]

The last knight moves up to Elufin, prepared to face him in one-on-one combat. He raises his greatsword and delivers a ferocious blow!

Spoiler
    Show
    Power Attack
    (1d20+6)[11]
    (2d12+4)[16]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elufin twists out of the way of the attack, ducking the ferocious blow. That was far too close for comfort--these knights were certainly competent at what they do. Keeping himself and Jewel tucked behind his shield, he counterattacks with his own blade as the knight recovers. Unfortunately the other two were too far, he could not shield them properly--however, he has no time to deal with that right now. His own adversary was a far more pressing problem.

Show
    Actions:
    1) Raise shield (again)
    2 & 3) Attack the knight

Attack 1: (1d20+4)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]
    Attack 2: (1d20-1)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]

If I am attacked, I will use my reaction to shield block. If Jewel is attacked, I will use my retributive strike.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-09-25 at 11:47 PM.

-----

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara is intimidated by big strong knight and his big sharp battleaxe she takes a step back and then points her hand at him making pataka like gesture. Ones again speaking something few may understand. Beam of cold energy shoots at the knight

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

*Setp
    **Cast Ray for first on guard, one right befoure Lexara if he is still standing, if not at other one in melee. Attack: (d20+2)[15] Demage: (d8)[1]

Spoiler: Sylvan
    Show
    Freezing Fey Forest Force!

Last edited by Greenflame133; 2018-09-26 at 09:10 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

When the guard approaches herself and Elufin, Jewel waits until he gets close - then she strikes. She moves around to a flanking position, doing her best to dodge any oncoming attacks as she moves around to find a weak spot.

Show
    1) Move to a flanking position. Acrobatics roll to try and dodge any AoO: (1d20+5)[6]. Also, if I am attacked, I use my Nimble Dodge reaction to give +2 to my AC.
    2) Attack!!
    Attack - (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[9]
    Sneak - (1d6)[1]

Second Attack - (1d20+1)[19]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[5]
    Sneak - (1d6)[6]
    3) If I can, I get back behind Elufin.

25. - Top - End - #25

The knight takes an attack against Jewel's hazardous movement!

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[11]
    (1d12+4)[9]

He misses his attack, and Jewel's biting dagger causes him to yield!
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2018-09-26 at 09:47 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

The attack from Lexara does little to dissuade the knight, and he advances towards her.

He commands her to yield to his power!

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidation: (1d20+4)[11]

The remaining knight turns his crossbow on Elufin.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[22]
    (1d8+2)[7]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Jewel looks over her shoulder, concern in her eyes as she sees the knight right on top of Lexara. With a glance up to Elufin and a moment of internal debate, she leaves behind her meat shield to hurry over to the gnome, striking at the mercenary from behind while his attention is elsewhere.

Show
    1) Move to flanking position! In case it's needed, Acrobatics roll for dodging AoO: (1d20+5)[17]
    2) Attaaaaaack!!
    Attack - (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage - (1d6+4)[7]
    Sneak - (1d6)[1]

Second Attack - (1d20+1)[16]
    Second Damage - (1d6+4)[9]
    Second Sneak - (1d6)[2]

Reaction: +2 to my AC against the first attack against me this round.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Elufin sees the knight in front of him go down, takes a moment to confirm he has yielded, and turns to compliment Jewel--only to see the little goblin has already gone after the next opponent. Picking his way through the cluttered alley, he attempts to interpose himself between the knight and Lexara.

Show
    1) Move to a position where I can shield Lexara from further attacks.
    2) Attack: (1d20+4)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[4]
    3) Raise shield.

If I have to use two moves to get into position, I will avoid raising the shield. I can only move like 10-15 ft per round in this difficult terrain.

If Lexara is attacked I will use Retributive Strike. If I am attacked (and I was able to raise my shield) I will shield block as a reaction.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-10-01 at 07:56 PM.

-----

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lexara is scared but don't let fear get better of her. Ones again she steps back and casts her spell on the knight.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

* 5ft step
    ** Ray of frost

Attack: (d20+2)[9]
    Demage: (d8)[4]

30. - Top - End - #30

The display of the knife-wieldling goblin is terrifying, and the three knights realize swiftly that they are no match. The remaining two knights lower their weapons and kneel.

"We yield to your power. Truly, you are capable warriors."

"You have our permission to enter Abadar's Vault."

"Godspeed."

They stand up and begin to walk through the city. S follows them, and offers a healing potion to anyone who needs it.

After about thirty minutes of walking, the group arrives at a cemetery.

S opens the door to the cemetery and the three knights walk inside, knowing exactly where they are headed. They pass by large underground mausoleums and massive statues to honor the dead. An angel carrying scales, a bull trampling a man, and a woman being struck by lightning, to name a few. Each statue is carved intricately, with the most exquisite of details.

After a few minutes, the knights stand before a large crypt.

S turns to the group.

"Be aware that once we enter the Vault, we shall not emerge in the city. You are welcome to return and make any additional preparations you need."