Tellos
    Yes

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous IC [3.5, Group B]

Semult handles one end of the chest. "Yes let's go"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Appraisal results on the housewares? Not that there is much of a market for the stuff at this point with the city devastated
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Colossus in the Playground

Semult thinks the housewares are worth a total of 450 gold. Tellos' spell detects that the wand is the source of the transmutation magic, and the box is the source of the divination magic.

You make your way back to the Defender's Heart.

"Well, that all sounds ominous," Irabeth says after you tell her what you found.

"Two of the safe houses were abandoned already? That sounds--" Anevia starts.

"Even more ominous than what that letter said," Irabeth interrupts her. "Why would they be leaving their safehouses when they all but control the city? Why would one of them have been completely leveled? I need to talk to some other people. In the meantime, you've done more for us than anyone else, even beyond what you've done for me personally, but under the circumstances I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask even more. First, you'll be rewarded." She pulls out a bag and offers it to whichever of you is nearest to her; upon looking inside it, you find it holds 300 platinum pieces.

"For tonight, you should rest. There are merchants downstairs, if you have things to sell. Aravashnial will likely be able to help you identify anything magical that you haven't been able to, if he lives to get his eyes regenerated. Do you need healing?"

4. - Top - End - #1384

Semult accepts the offered bag of coin. "Thank you. I hope you can find answers to the questions this information brings up. More immediately, do you know who this Faxon might be, possibly under a different name? If they are here in the Inn he needs to be taken. As for healing I believe Alamryn could use some help."

The conjurer splits the coins and helps sell the items the group doesn't need. He takes the small box that was found in the chest, examines its contents, and shares his findings with the rest. He also suggests keeping the chest at the Inn to hold their supplies.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

5. - Top - End - #1385

"I'll check if there's anyone named Faxon in the inn, but it sounds to me like this Faxon was in charge of the safe house. Most likely he was the tiefling you fought," Irabeth replies.

6. - Top - End - #1386

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    Semult accepts the offered bag of coin. "Thank you. I hope you can find answers to the questions this information brings up. More immediately, do you know who this Faxon might be, possibly under a different name? If they are here in the Inn he needs to be taken. As for healing I believe Alamryn could use some help."

The conjurer splits the coins and helps sell the items the group doesn't need. He takes the small box that was found in the chest, examines its contents, and shares his findings with the rest. He also suggests keeping the chest at the Inn to hold their supplies.
    Alamryn blushes faintly. "Ah, yes. I was careless and one of the cultists got me in the back." Just the thought of the wound makes it ache.

Alamryn agrees with Semult's suggestions.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

7. - Top - End - #1387

"There are priests of Iomedae here, who can heal you. I'll show you where."

If no one has any other questions or statements for Irabeth, she leads Alamryn and anyone else who's still injured downstairs to be healed.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

Listening to Irabeth surmise that the tiefling may have been Faxon, Trawyn nods, "that would make sense."

As Alamryn goes to tend to her wounds, the bard turns to Tellos and Semult, "Can you help me with these items? I can use my last spell for the day to try to identify them?"

Spoiler: OC
    Show
    Assuming it's okay to convert my last 1st level spell to Detect Magic

Wand: Spellcraft to identify school of magic(DC 15+ spell level OR 1/2 caster level if not a spell effect) - (1d20+10)[25]; if succeed by 10+ can determine the item’s functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges
    Box(divination detected): Spellcraft to identify school of magic(DC 15+ spell level OR 1/2 caster level if not a spell effect) - (1d20+10)[17]; if succeed by 10+ can determine the item’s functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges
    Leather Cord: Spellcraft to identify school of magic(DC 15+ spell level OR 1/2 caster level if not a spell effect) - (1d20+10)[14]; if succeed by 10+ can determine the item’s functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges

Gathering the items together in the chest, "Let's take these downstairs and see if we can sell them. I've decided that I'm going to keep this holy symbol Iomedae."

Show
    Not sure how you want to handle the buying and selling of goods Kish. Just do it in the OC, or play it out?

9. - Top - End - #1389

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    Trawyn
    As Alamryn goes to tend to her wounds, the bard turns to Tellos and Semult, "Can you help me with these items? I can use my last spell for the day to try to identify them?"
    "Of course, glad to figure out some new magics."

Show
    Spellcraft at +12 so Aid Other succeeds automatically. +2 for each of his rolls.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ogre in the Playground

Tellos
    Of Course

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

After the items are identified to the best of the party's abilities, the bard helps pack everything up into the chest. Fishing into his backpack he pulls out the scroll of Incite spell and places it in the chest as well, and places the holy symbol of Iomedae around his neck.

When Alamryn rejoins the group, they wonder around to the different merchants selling the gathered items. Once the particulars with the money have been worked out, Trawyn will suggest seeking out any wands of reliable healing for the group. "If we're going to continue to fight our way through the city, a sustained source of healing would be greatly beneficial."

Spoiler: The Divvying
    Show
    My math puts the split at 949.8 gps each. If a fully charged wand of Lessor Vigor or Cure Light Wounds can be had, and we all pitch in, that would drop everyone to 799.8 gps each.

Before the party goes their separate ways and decides what to do with their share of the spoils, he pulls them aside and away from everyone else, "I kept this aside." He opens a sack to show everyone the small box recovered from the altar room, with the leather cord wrapped around it. "I have some concerns about it's purpose. My understanding of divination magics are that they can range from completely innocuous, to all seeing and knowing. Perhaps, I'm being a bit paranoid, but I think we should not open it here....in this safe-house of refugees."

Spoiler: The better part of valor?
    Show
    probably being overly paranoid, but if we hold the item back and open it once safely away, what have we really lost?

Some time latter, Trawyn will return to the common room of the Defender's Heart and perform for those seeking safe haven and respite from their loss and despair.

All who are burdened and seeking respite
    All of the hopeless, wretched and desperate
    All who are worn out and feeling oppressed
    Come in and find your rest

We’ve seen your scars
    As it has captured like
    Like prison bars
    Bitter and sharp it runs down
    Runs down your skin
    It doesn’t ease it hides
    Hides wounds within

We aren’t deaf, we’ve heard
    We’ve heard your plight
    As dark as night
    In pain you’ve cried
    That “hope has died.”

I know that you’re guarded
    I’ve been there before
    Sin is crouched at your door
    Come find your rest

I’ve traded all of my sin
    I once counted worth
    For healed wounds and rebirth
    Come find your rest

Come in and trade your tears
    All worry and ease your fears
    Your burden is not unknown
    Don’t run friend
    You’re not alone

For all confined come be set free
    For all the blind that long to see
    Come and receive the perfect relief
    Come and believe He bore your grief

Rise up as the war has ceased
    No bondage you have been released
    Released, released

Come in and trade your tears
    All worry and ease your fears
    Your burden is not unknown
    Don’t run friend
    You’re not alone

Come all you weak and contrite
    He’ll strengthen and clothe you in white
    Come all you weak and contrite
    He’ll strengthen and clothe you in white

*"Relief", Wolves at the Gate
    Spoiler: Healing Hymn
    Show
    In addition if you use this ability for 1 full minute before you and your allies retire for the night, everyone in the group heals naturally as if he had completed 24 hours of bed rest (thus recovering twice his character level in hit points). If the music is interrupted, the magic of the song is lost.

Show
    I'll post some items that Trawyn will be looking for in the OC.
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2018-09-03 at 03:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1392

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    Trawyn

After the items are identified to the best of the party's abilities, the bard helps pack everything up into the chest. Fishing into his backpack he pulls out the scroll of Incite spell and places it in the chest as well, and places the holy symbol of Iomedae around his neck.

When Alamryn rejoins the group, they wonder around to the different merchants selling the gathered items. Once the particulars with the money have been worked out, Trawyn will suggest seeking out any wands of reliable healing for the group. "If we're going to continue to fight our way through the city, a sustained source of healing would be greatly beneficial."

Spoiler: The Divvying
    Show
    My math puts the split at 949.8 gps each. If a fully charged wand of Lessor Vigor or Cure Light Wounds can be had, and we all pitch in, that would drop everyone to 799.8 gps each.
    Alamryn feels considerably more comfortable after the awful gash is healed.

"Yes, that would be a good idea", she replies to Trawyn, "I can only do so much."

Show
    Buying such a wand would be a good idea, yes.

Before the party goes their separate ways and decides what to do with their share of the spoils, he pulls them aside and away from everyone else, "I kept this aside." He opens a sack to show everyone the small box recovered from the altar room, with the leather cord wrapped around it. "I have some concerns about it's purpose. My understanding of divination magics are that they can range from completely innocuous, to all seeing and knowing. Perhaps, I'm being a bit paranoid, but I think we should not open it here....in this safe-house of refugees."

Spoiler: The better part of valor?
    Show
    probably being overly paranoid, but if we hold the item back and open it once safely away, what have we really lost?

Some time latter, Trawyn will return to the common room of the Defender's Heart and perform for those seeking safe haven and respite from their loss and despair.

*song*

*"Relief", Wolves at the Gate
    Spoiler: Healing Hymn
    Show
    In addition if you use this ability for 1 full minute before you and your allies retire for the night, everyone in the group heals naturally as if he had completed 24 hours of bed rest (thus recovering twice his character level in hit points). If the music is interrupted, the magic of the song is lost.

Show
    I'll post some items that Trawyn will be looking for in the OC.
    Alamryn curls up in a chair while she listens. The song was calming and when she closed her eyes, it reminded her of happier times.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

Jemus comes in with the others and looks about a bit, a bit disgruntled. <Be happy to be alive, fool! Better than carrion to these demonic forces." he thinks to himself, feeling a bit better after internally beating himself up.
    As the other talk, he stays towards the back, uncomfortable with such large groups. As Trawyn begins to sing, he feels the song was wash over him, visibly relaxing him.

14. - Top - End - #1394

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    If no one has any other questions or statements for Irabeth, she leads Alamryn and anyone else who's still injured downstairs to be healed.
    Once Irabeth presents Alamryn to the healers Semult asks "Have you considered the help from those that live below ground? If so, have you sent word to them?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1395

"I have, yes," Irabeth replies. "I haven't heard back yet. Hopefully by tomorrow. Any later...will likely be too late, for the time being."

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Titan in the Playground

Before Irabeth has a chance to lead everyone downstairs, he slowly removes the sword and scabbard as he shows it to Irabeth. "We came across this and the group thought I could use this best. We thinks its magical but I couldn't tell you one way or another. I don't suppose that you could tells us more about it?" Jemus says, the discomfort at talking to someone like Irabeth evident.

17. - Top - End - #1397

"Came across it where?" Irabeth asks.

"Underground. The cultist leader there had it in a box," Anevia puts in.

"Hm," Irabeth says. "If you want to leave it with me overnight, I'll see what I can find out about it. If not..." she shrugs. "I can't think of anything by sight."

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

After a restful night, the bard will seek out the others and Irabeth in the morning. "Last night you spoke of asking more of us?"

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh... yeah, as Anevia said. I know nothing more of it but if it can help... ah, with the fight, so much the better... ma'am." Jemus painfully gets out as he awkwardly hands over the sword.

20. - Top - End - #1400

Your sleep is mostly undisturbed, with the exception of Areelu Vorlesh's voice appealing to everyone in the inn to surrender around midnight. The next morning, Irabeth asks you to join her in a room above the common room, with Anevia, a man you haven't met before, and five mutants. A metal rod lies on a desk.

"This is Quednys Orlun," Irabeth says. "He owns Defender's Heart. I thought he should hear what I'm telling you now. Most of the people in the inn shouldn't know about it."

"I've received word that Queen Galfrey is on her way here with an army to rescue the city. She should be here by tomorrow. Unfortunately, that's not necessarily good news. I've been wondering for a while why the demons didn't act to wipe out the last pockets of resistance in the city after such a strong offensive, particularly with Areelu Vorlesh in the city, casting spells to demand surrender but not to actually compel it. Thanks to the letter you retrieved, now I think I know why. The demonic forces took a fragment of the wardstone into the prison camp she's set up in the Ring District. Vorlesh is apparently planning something involving the damaged wardstone, and I suspect she means it to coincide with the army's arrival. That means we need to make sure she doesn't have the wardstone fragment by the time the army arrives." She picks up the rod. "The wardstone fragment is useless to us now, and a danger as long as it has power. This is a rod of cancellation. If one of us can touch it to the wardstone fragment, it will become a simple chunk of rock."

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

The bard reaches out and shakes Quednys' hand briskly, "Yours has been a stronghold for those in need, a shelter from the storm, and a respite from the loss and sorrow that has swamped Kenabres."

Seating himself, he sips lightly on some hot tea while Irabeth lays out her hypothesis and plan.

"T'would be a dark day, indeed, if the people of Kanabres have been left to suffer purely as.....bait, for the queen and her forces."

He takes another drink from his tea, while studying the reaction of the others. Making eye contact with Alamyrn, he nods firmly, "I know naught about the doubts that dwelt in the hearts of the heroes whose tales I sing. I've long suspected that for their part they were...regular people, no different from you or I. I believe they were compelled by extraordinary events to do no more than what good they could do, no matter how small, while they could still do it." Turning back to the commander, "I'm no hero Irabeth, but for my part, no matter how small, I will do what I can."

After a short pause, "If into the belly of the beast we must go, I do wonder if we could avoid fighting our way in by merely posing as citizens answering Vorlesh's call to surrender....not that such subterfuge would itself be devoid of risk."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2018-09-08 at 10:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1402

Before Semult finishes settling in for sleep he pulls out the potion they found today and asked Tellos for help in figuring it out.

----------------------------

The next morning before everyone gathers together the conjurer finds the more experienced but blind conjurer Aravashnial. "How are you doing? Need anything? I was thinking if we could get a scroll to heal your eyes I may be able to use for you. Using other types of magic is something I focused on at the academy too. In the meantime is it possible I can be your eyes for preparing more spells? It is not something I've considered. Is it possible for at least the spells we both already know? A letter we found mentioned glabrezu, what do you know of them since we may face them?"

----------------------------

Semult joins the others upstairs for Irabeth's meeting. He was encouraged by the sight of the mutants joining them. He listened to Irabeth's briefing intently and it brought a small smile from him. The revelation of the Rod of Cancellation put a look of amazement on his face.

"Commander Irabeth, my thoughts last night were that we would be dealing with the prison today before Vorlesh returned. The Rod of Cancellation is a godsend. If no one disagrees I would be honored to carry it. Even if it means my life saving so many it is worth it."

It was obvious Semult had been pondering plans overnight. "Have there been any scouts sent to check out the prison area? What did they report? Can anyone make a simple map of the area for us? I think we need to see the situation for ourselves before considering turning ourselves in. Maybe from nearby rooftops?" He paused, looking at the those from the underground. "Perhaps our new friends know of underground paths into the prison area? That should take them by surprise."

Show
    Spellcraft to ID potion (conjurering), possibly with a +2 from Tellos' Aid Other (1d20+12)[17] DC 25.
    If I fail I'll hand it to Trawyn to try and I'll help (Aid Other auto success with +12 Spellcraft). He had tried it with Detect Magic, this is a different avenue of trying.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1403

Semult's efforts to help Aravashnial prepare his spells prove futile, and evidently very frustrating to the blind elf. Showing off his expertise seems to cheer him up a little. "Glabrezu are big and powerful demons, weighing nearly three tons. Completely immune to illusions. They try to tempt people with power or wealth, when they don't just tear them apart. You should try to avoid them, they're way too tough for you."

The potion remains stubbornly enigmatic to your inspections.

"These are Cema, Cona, Dona, Maci, and Wyne," Irabeth says. "They'll accompany you into the prison camp--if you're using a plan that permits it--and I will as well. I won't ask you to risk yourselves in a cause where I won't risk myself; I can leave Anevia in charge here."

"I'd say 'please bring her back to me,'" Anevia says, "but if your mission fails, I suspect we'll all be together in the afterlife shortly."

Maci shakes his head. "Only one passage up to the surface that isn't days away. We'll be going over the walls or in through the gate."

"It looks like Vorlesh had some of the bigger demons pull down buildings surrounding where she wanted to build her prison camp. Climbing over the wreckage might be possible, depending on how good you are at climbing. There's only one gate, with two guards who look like Lord Hulrun and the merchant Kandro Nyserian, who was apparently a cultist. About the sword," Irabeth says, looking specifically at Jemus. "This is Radiance, which used to be the holy avenger sword of a crusader paladin named Yaniel. On her second trip into the Worldwound, she was killed by Minagho. Her companions were able to return with her sword--which had mysteriously lost most of its power--but Minagho held her body. The crusaders placed it on display in the Gray Garrison, which is located in the prison camp now, but the sword was apparently stolen from it even before that. Queen Galfrey will likely want it returned to a museum somewhere eventually, but for now you should keep using it."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Titan in the Playground

Jemas nods as Irabeth as she speaks. "Aaas to be expected." he manages to stutter out before getting a better hold of himself as he takes a deep breath. "A powerful weapon against evil, coming from one such as Yaniel." looking back at the rest of the group, he continue "Perhaps one of you should take it. I'm just a lowly messanger and not worthy of carrying a powerfu weapon of such a paladin." as he looks pleadingly at the others.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ettin in the Playground

Trawyn

Trawyn looks at Jemus, "Your humility is admirable my friend," as he places his hand on the sword and steers it toward the man's scabbard, "but the realm doesn't need humility at the moment. It needs arms willing to wield such weapons, and that's you."

To Irabeth, "That's a lot of additional....uh, firepower, and the fact that you're coming as well certainly adds to the urgency of this mission. That many almost certainly rules out any sort of subterfuge, and a frontal assault seems foolhardy without knowing more about the prison camp. We should get on site and do as much reconnaissance as possible."
    Last edited by RolandDeschain; 2018-09-11 at 02:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1406

Griffon

Alamryn nods. "Yes, you should keep carrying it. You've fought barely up to now, please keep doing it." She tries to smile brightly and greets the people that are to join their group. "Thank you for coming to help us. So shall we be off then?" Her brisk tone fit the situation poorly, and didn't sound convincing even to herself. She tried not to think about where they were heading, focusing firmly on the present.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Titan in the Playground

Jemus looks even more uncomfortable as he is complemented by his companions. "My thanks. I'll use it to the best of my abilities for now and return it once we are done, if I am able." as he takes the sword back from Irabeth.
    At Trawyn's comments, he thinks for a moment. "Perhaps, as we get closer, we can have a smaller contigent scout it out, to find out strengths and weaknesses, before making a decision, sounds like a good beginning of a plan."

28. - Top - End - #1408

"That's the right idea on both counts Jemus. If we have enough sneaky people we could have 2 groups to look from different angles. Those 2 guards, what's known of them? Skilled warriors? A spellcaster?"

Semult turns to the newcomers. "Hello. I'm Semult. Thank you for coming. Let's hope we all make it back!"

"I'll grab my gear, then meet you all downstairs to head out."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1409

You make your way through the streets of the city. At the gate, you see two of what initially appear to be humans, but their movements are stiff and puppetlike. You recognize one of them as Lord Hulrun.

The wall near the gate rises to a height of 30 feet, but the only guards you see anywhere around here are the two figures at the gate.

Show
    Each of you can direct one of the mutants in combat. They all have the following stats:
    Lawful Good monstrous humanoid ranger 2
    Favored enemy: Humans
    16 hit points
    Str 16, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 5
    Feats: Point-Blank Shot, Ranger Rapid Shot, Track
    BAB: +2
    Attack bonus with longbow: +5, +6 within 30 feet
    Rapid shot bonus with longbow: +3/+3, or +4/+4 within 30 feet
    Damage with longbow: 1d8, 1d8+2 against human targets
    Attack bonus with greataxe: +5
    Damage with greataxe: 1d12+3
    Saving throws: Fortitude +5, Reflex +6, Will +3
    Skill totals: Acrobatics +8, Climb +8, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +6, Perception +8, Stealth +8, Survival +8, Use Rope +8.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

Tellos
    Something does not look right here. I am not sure that they are in control of their actions.