New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XX: Endothermic Life Forms Are Inherently Heretical

Until proven otherwise, my assumption is the brothers raided the Citadel of the Silver Light and snatched Agatha, with only Barry making it back. If the Citadel isn't on Earth (also my assumption) maybe just getting themselves there would have been a challenge, much less a whole swarm of Jagers.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    At the time Bill and Barry disappeared they were fighting The Other so it would have been in best interests of everyone to try to save Bill and Barry. Rational people should have had no trouble figuring that out. The only problem would have been getting the sparks to realize it.
    Not just any sparks but HERO sparks.

Agatha may be into hero-ing, but I can't see her leaving the guys behind.

3. - Top - End - #393

I think Agatha has already come to terms with her public image. Really though I think she might be less like her father then people keep attributing, sure she's heroic but she definitely has more then a little bit of the old family in her too.

Also, so I heard you like Jäger speak...
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-07-05 at 11:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #394

The print novels include a passage where Agatha, when dealing with Castle Heterodyne, realizes that she is probably a lot more tolerant of moral ambiguity than her father and uncle were.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Dimo is such a loyal follower. This advice might be why, in the Electric Coffin story, Agatha and Krosp aren't surrounded by Jagers.

Although I suspect Agatha will work to rehabilitate the reputation of the Jagers, as much as it can be. Once she gets a spare moment.

Violetta is still with them. I thought she'd gone ahead with the other Smoke Knights to warn of the Storm King's re-emergence. They trusted those two to do it on their own?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I really kinda hope this story ends with Agatha becoming the Heavy of a reborn Wulfenbach empire. Still one rule, just now it's "Don't make us come down there." Give Gil trouble, and he'll crush you. Give him enough trouble and Agatha will reduce you to a fine red mist, as long as Gil isn't stupid enough to try to control Mechanicsburg*.

I dunno, I just like the idea of Agatha saying "Yeah, they're monsters, but they're my monsters." You know, accepting them for what they are and showing them how they can use what they are to accomplish great things, kinda making her the ultimate fusion of the old Heterodynes and the new.

* Not that they would, as long as things are stable. Neither Klaus nor Gil are the sort to display dominance just for display's sake. When action is called for, however, they make a display of it, using far more force than necessary in order to make other troublemaker's rethink their schemes. If Agatha can direct her monstrous regiment in constructive (yet fun) ways, she's a benefit to the Empire rather than a threat - and honestly, I think neither Gil nor Klaus would want to get on her bad side without a very, very good reason. (The Other is a very, very good reason.)
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    The print novels include a passage where Agatha, when dealing with Castle Heterodyne, realizes that she is probably a lot more tolerant of moral ambiguity than her father and uncle were.
    We saw signs of this as far back as page nine of the story, so it's hardly that much of a surprise. And then there is that (in)famous comment about "nature of expirement".

(plus a few more choice words sprinkled throughout the comic - mostly along the lines of "I can work with that." )
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-07-06 at 01:01 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    We saw signs of this as far back as page nine of the story, so it's hardly that much of a surprise.
    Well, to be fair, that was her going into the "madness place" before she had learned anything about it. I think that just came from her breaking through as a spark, so I wouldn't judge her by it. I wouldn't be surprised if Bill and Barry did very similar things when they first broke through, but then been mortified once they realized what they had done. And Gil was impressed by how benign Agatha's breakthrough was. (Her appetite was a little alarming, though. ) Anyway, I count the "...die slowly like the miserable rats you are!" as an indication that she was an angry mad scientist, nothing more. The "Well, that depends on the nature of the experiment" and some of the other things she said are more telling, IMO, because she wasn't in the madness place when she said them.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-07-06 at 08:39 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Well, to be fair, that was her going into the "madness place" before she had learned anything about it. I think that just came from her breaking through as a spark, so I wouldn't judge her by it. I wouldn't be surprised if Bill and Barry did very similar things when they first broke through, but then been mortified once they realized what they had done. And Gil was impressed by how benign Agatha's breakthrough was. (Her appetite was a little alarming, though. ) Anyway, I count the "...die slowly like the miserable rats you are!" as an indication that she was an angry mad scientist, nothing more. The "Well, that depends on the nature of the experiment" and some of the other things she said are more telling, IMO, because she wasn't in the madness place when she said them.
    A lot of the ranting is implied to be what she inherited from Lucrezia, since she apparently sounds JUST like her whenever she goes into full "Cower, pitiful insects!" mode. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Agatha is significantly more ruthless than the Boys - she inherited the heroism of her father, the villainy from her mother, and the out-and-out craziness of the old school Heterodynes. Makes for a heady brew.

I still maintain that Agatha was on the verge of breaking through (or just plain broke through) when she was five years old, hence why Barry had to make the locket to suppress it. The "gentle breakthrough" was nothing of the kind - she designed the engine-robot either as a fully functional Spark that was just "waking up" from being suppressed for over 10 years, or was having a second breakthrough moment that was significantly less violent as a result.

On an unrelated note, this got me reading the old comics again, and I noticed something I never saw before:

In the last panel, you can see Krosp hiding amongst the bears.

10. - Top - End - #400

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I still maintain that Agatha was on the verge of breaking through (or just plain broke through) when she was five years old, hence why Barry had to make the locket to suppress it. The "gentle breakthrough" was nothing of the kind - she designed the engine-robot either as a fully functional Spark that was just "waking up" from being suppressed for over 10 years, or was having a second breakthrough moment that was significantly less violent as a result.
    It's been explicitly established that's what the locket did. Young Agatha started Heterodyning, and Barry created the locket to protect her from being taken/killed as a female Spark. It did this by suppressing her Sparkiness (and in the novels, her emotions as well). And now her mind is too strong to be suppressed, but it does keep Lucrezia submerged because she's almost literally a ghost of her former self.
    Last edited by geoduck; 2016-07-07 at 12:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It wouldn't surprise me to find that Agatha is significantly more ruthless than the Boys - she inherited the heroism of her father, the villainy from her mother, and the out-and-out craziness of the old school Heterodynes. Makes for a heady brew.
    Pretty much. Luckly for most of Europa it wasn't in equal measurements.

As for the bit about being in the madness place that eschmenk mentioned? Well, In Vino Veritas and all that. I mean, it really doesn't matter too much to the poor shulb who gets to be part of a Grand Experiment if Agatha feels bad about it in the morning.

Okay, sure. Agatha isn't as likely to do that as some of her family. Just noting that it is in fact a part of her psyche, if not a dominant part.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2016-07-07 at 01:49 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

A lot of the ranting is implied to be what she inherited from Lucrezia, since she apparently sounds JUST like her whenever she goes into full "Cower, pitiful insects!" mode. It wouldn't surprise me to find that Agatha is significantly more ruthless than the Boys - she inherited the heroism of her father, the villainy from her mother, and the out-and-out craziness of the old school Heterodynes. Makes for a heady brew.
    If you go with what the Foglios wrote in the Secret Blueprints, it seems that behavior is learned, not merely inherited. They describe Bill's and Barry's mother as a good woman who "saw to their education with the strength of purpose that defied all her husband's efforts to pass on family tradition." That seems to continue in the comic. Punch and Judy raised Agatha well, without being as naive as Bill. Bill thought that Lucrezia could be reformed. He was wrong about her, but he wouldn't have even tried if he thought that it was strictly a matter of heredity. When Klaus argued against the marriage, he didn't use heredity as an argument; Klaus just thought that Lucrezia wasn't being sincere. Klaus certainly spent a great deal of effort trying to teach his sense of morality to Gil as if those lessons were important. We've seen Tarvek's behavior change very significantly, as if it's possible for someone to learn how to behave. When Gil and Tarvek argued over Tarvek's behavior, Tarvek's upbringing, not his heredity, was the focus. I'm convinced that the Foglios don't think that behavior is all about heredity.

On an unrelated note, this got me reading the old comics again, and I noticed something I never saw before:

In the last panel, you can see Krosp hiding amongst the bears.
    Right. Also, notice how that led to Krosp biting von Zinzer when he threatened Agatha. I'm sure that feeding Krosp didn't hurt, but a lot of Krosp's loyalty to Agatha came from the way she treated Vapnoople. Krosp bit von Zinzer even before Agatha fed him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    As for the bit about being in the madness place that eschmenk mentioned? Well, In Vino Veritas and all that. I mean, it really doesn't matter too much to the poor shulb who gets to be part of a Grand Experiment if Agatha feels bad about it in the morning.
    I wonder how much sparks can learn to control their madness, though. Gil was staying in the madness place for an unusually long time, by choice, apparently. He was still recognizably Gil while doing it, except when Klaus took control, and we could see that happening. I'm pretty sure that sparks can learn to control their madness to at least some extent.

I think we really don't know how much a spark's behavior while in the madness place just naturally reflects their regular personality and how much it must be controlled by them to avoid the stereotypical mad scientist tendencies.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-07-07 at 09:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

It's been explicitly established that's what the locket did. Young Agatha started Heterodyning, and Barry created the locket to protect her from being taken/killed as a female Spark. It did this by suppressing her Sparkiness (and in the novels, her emotions as well). And now her mind is too strong to be suppressed, but it does keep Lucrezia submerged because she's almost literally a ghost of her former self.
    It's also possible that Klaus (possibly inadvertently) changed its function when he repaired it; he might have assumed it was intended to be a "suppress Lucrezia-ness" locket rather than a general "suppress the Spark" locket.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2016-07-07 at 12:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    It's also possible that Klaus (possibly inadvertently) changed its function when he repaired it; he might have assumed it was intended to be a "suppress Lucrezia-ness" locket rather than a general "suppress the Spark" locket.
    When did Klaus repair her locket? I don't remember that happening.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    When did Klaus repair her locket? I don't remember that happening.
    Between Agatha faking being dead, and Klaus finding her at the circus under Lu's control. Klaus has the locket here, clearly broken.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I basically agree, although I think the original purpose may have been more of a "suppress Heterodyning" thing, where "Heterodyning" isn't just music; it's somehow inherently part of how the Heterodynes' minds work while they are being sparky. In a download available from the GG site (large PDF), you can see that the locket's mechanism contains what looks like tuning forks. I'm guessing that the locket somehow interferes with some of the frequencies necessary for Heterodyning. Therefore, I'm not sure the locket would have had the same effect on any sparks other than Agatha. It might have interfered with the brains in a different way than it did with Agatha and perhaps even killed them like it killed Omar.

I could easily imagine Klaus selecting different forks that might have been intended to block Lucrezia's frequencies if he was aware of what those frequencies were. Agatha may have simply have had the wrong explanation for why the locket no longer blocked her ability to spark. I don't know though. I would like to believe she was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Between Agatha faking being dead, and Klaus finding her at the circus under Lu's control. Klaus has the locket here, clearly broken.

GW
    Yes, Moloch broke it here. It's unlikely that he could have repaired it. Klaus would have arrested Moloch once he found out who Agatha was because Moloch had just been pretending to be the one who was the Spark. Klaus would have taken the broken locket from Moloch at that point.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-07-07 at 08:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

GW
    Well, he had no idea she was Lu-in-Agatha's body at that point, so why would he make the assumption Aquillion said he might have?

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Poor Dimo, no retirement for him. The new Heterodyne likes her monsters and doesn't care for this goodie-good-hero-thing.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Agatha isn't into the hero thing, she want to FIX things. That way you don't need a hero.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

You tell him, girl!

Are Hoffmann and Alden fighting, or just being thrown across the room by the force of the blast / death throes of the snake? I would assume the latter, but it really looks like Hoffmann is body slamming his brother...

I wonder if Larana found what they were looking for?

21. - Top - End - #411

PirateCaptain

So Larana's single red glove isn't the source of her ability to blow things up, then. Shame, I liked that theory.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, he had no idea she was Lu-in-Agatha's body at that point, so why would he make the assumption Aquillion said he might have?
    He knew that Agatha was Lucrezia's daughter and knew that her voice worked like Lucrezia's and didn't how how much more she was like Lucrezia or had copied her.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Objection! Hearsay!

(I mean, are you seriously asking me to tell you why Aquillion came up with their theory? Maybe skip the middlemanwolf? I can only help with actual canon: locket was broken by von Zinzer, and fixed by Klaus)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2016-07-08 at 11:06 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hmm, it looks like I didn't remember what Aquillion said about Klaus's possible assumption all that well.

My previous answer was about why Klaus might have wanted the locket to "suppress Lucrezia-ness," rather than why Aquillion thought it was possible that Klaus might have assumed that Barry had wanted it to do that. That's more complicated. (I'm assuming that there is no doubt that Klaus would have recognized that Barry made the locket.)

It looks as if Aquillion might have thought that Klaus might have thought that Barry was worried that whatever attributes Agatha might have inherited from Lucrezia might cause problems. Or he might have thought that Klaus might have assumed that Barry might have noticed things that were similar to the things that made Klaus worry about Agatha. Aquillion might have even considered the possibility that Klaus learned from Beetle's notes that Barry said something that may have indicated that Barry was worried about Agatha. IDK; Aquillion would know better.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-07-08 at 01:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Really, the locket were a piece of interesting technology from a first grade spark. Thats all the reason the Baron would need to try and fix it again.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

26. - Top - End - #416
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So I've been reading through the prose novels, and it's definitely interesting how little things get changed between comic and text. A few dialogue alterations, a lot of dialogue/narration expansions, and a few instances of Phil being able to get away with some stuff in text that he couldn't do in the comic without breaking the NSFW barrier. I love the footnotes, though, tons of explanations for little aside comments and reference to bits of the GG universe that the comic didn't have space for.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

So glad Hoffman isn't the type to misunderstand innocent hugs and things like that

Do wonder what it is that practically fell into his pocket. Anyone got any ideas?

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    So glad Hoffman isn't the type to misunderstand innocent hugs and things like that

Do wonder what it is that practically fell into his pocket. Anyone got any ideas?
    I'm personally getting really tired of the Wacky Sitcom-Level Romantic Misunderstandings.

And presumably the whatever-it-is is one of those cubes with a circle mounted on one face. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a container holding the actual target.
    Last edited by geoduck; 2016-07-10 at 11:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #419

I'm personally getting really tired of the Wacky Sitcom-Level Romantic Misunderstandings.
    I agree. I kind of think I will look forward to when we can put this subplot of Larana and Aldin's little secret mission behind us. The wishy-washy 'I don't like her that way only maybe I actually do' imaginary love triangle thing is annoying enough on it's own but the whole 'misunderstanding' trope on top of that is almost too much to bear.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-07-11 at 02:07 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, if you want my opinion, Girl Genius' plot has been steadily-becoming more of a mess since Sturmhalten (and especially since the timeskip.) It feels like sideplots and the like keep taking it over without enough of a coherent central plot thread... like it's composed of a series of random events and scenes that the authors thought would be cool, cut out and strung together along a plot outline that was stretched far too big to fit all those random things inside it.

(Of course, some of this is true to the penny-dreadfuls that the story draws its inspiration from.)