New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    What I'm referring to here is when someone's using their own personal email address from like 15 years ago still as their personal email, and it's something that they share it in semi-professional or professional circumstances. Doesn't mean it's a business, but you know. I honestly wonder why it hasn't come to some people's minds that rawrbunnyteeheehee level addresses are just... not appropriate anymore when using them in official circumstances.
    Well, one problem is that good email addresses are a rarity, especially if you have a common name. And if you don't want to buy your own domain, you have a rather small plethora of web hosting services which don't sound fishy either, so it's either picking a made-up name or a suspicious domain.

I mean, when I started my job, I found out that there had already been two employees there with the same name as me, meaning I couldn't really get away from using the default numbered email address. Now, I'm just a grunt (with responsibilities a bit above my level), so that doesn't matter very much, but I was still surprised to see two people with my name had been working there, because it's a kinda rare-ish combination...

ION:
    Had my most stressful day ever yesterday. Short deadline, lots to fix and the burden of organisation apparently put on my shoulder beside the programming which was my task as well. And all these really insignificant matters which completely blocked my path. I seriously spent somewhere between a half and a full hour trying to figure out how to do git stash from within Eclipse (or at all, really) before a co-worker pointed out that we have the Git shell installed. And that's just one thing out of several.

Oh well, I survived. At least I think I did...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, one problem is that good email addresses are a rarity, especially if you have a common name. And if you don't want to buy your own domain, you have a rather small plethora of web hosting services which don't sound fishy either, so it's either picking a made-up name or a suspicious domain.

I mean, when I started my job, I found out that there had already been two employees there with the same name as me, meaning I couldn't really get away from using the default numbered email address. Now, I'm just a grunt (with responsibilities a bit above my level), so that doesn't matter very much, but I was still surprised to see two people with my name had been working there, because it's a kinda rare-ish combination...
    Eh, I think there's some pretty wide leeway in what counts as respectable. I have a common name, and my default email is first initial, last initial, underscore, last name. If I need to I add in the last two digits of my birth year. Not too hard to find even with a common name, and perfectly respectable.

The problem is when you have an email like "420luver" or "sexykitty" or something. That's just not acceptable for professional use.

ION:
    Had my most stressful day ever yesterday. Short deadline, lots to fix and the burden of organisation apparently put on my shoulder beside the programming which was my task as well. And all these really insignificant matters which completely blocked my path. I seriously spent somewhere between a half and a full hour trying to figure out how to do git stash from within Eclipse (or at all, really) before a co-worker pointed out that we have the Git shell installed. And that's just one thing out of several.

Oh well, I survived. At least I think I did...
    I hope you did survive. Life as a ghost isn't as fun.

In other news, I hate the break scheduling at work. Most days I get lunch at 1:45. Some days, like today, I don't get it until 3:00. I'm HUNGRY.
    Last edited by WarKitty; 2016-11-05 at 01:48 PM.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Eh, I think there's some pretty wide leeway in what counts as respectable. I have a common name, and my default email is first initial, last initial, underscore, last name. If I need to I add in the last two digits of my birth year. Not too hard to find even with a common name, and perfectly respectable.

The problem is when you have an email like "420luver" or "sexykitty" or something. That's just not acceptable for professional use.
    This here is what I'm talking about. My personal email isn't my name as is since it seems like there are other people named like me now, more than there were when I still had my previous surname. Darn it. But yeah. I really don't get why I didn't think about using all of my initials in the email since that would've probably been available and still have my surname without any numbers... ANYWAYS. My email is my first initial, then my surname almost completely, but I've replaced the last vowel with a number that equals to the vowel in 1337 speak. It doesn't even look tacky, and people that I've asked about it had no idea that the number is supposed to be the last vowel. They just thought it was there because the others had been already taken and did not realise that the last vowel of my surname was even missing. Seems to be a blessing that when I stop my surname to the last consonant it makes a sort of a silent vowel sound that can be read as my surname's last letter. Nyehehe.

... and then there's people with the rawrboiiii96 etc emails. That's just... beyond me. I don't care if they use it to log in on Facebook or register their accounts somewhere. In a professional situation it's inappropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

This here is what I'm talking about. My personal email isn't my name as is since it seems like there are other people named like me now, more than there were when I still had my previous surname.
    Wait, you changed your surname? Why? Was it marriage? I didn't hear anything about you getting married...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reading about serial killers before bed is not a good idea.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Wait, you changed your surname? Why? Was it marriage? I didn't hear anything about you getting married...
    This was like over a year ago and IIRC I did talk about it RB or at least mention. But no, not married (tho I wish ehe ehe hee). I carry my gran's maiden name, and I am also her mother's namesake due to this change. She was one of many Karelian evacuees during WW2 and I did this to respect her and my roots in Karelia.

Silly Rawhide...
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Colossus in the Playground

This was like over a year ago and IIRC I did talk about it RB or at least mention. But no, not married (tho I wish ehe ehe hee). I carry my gran's maiden name, and I am also her mother's namesake due to this change. She was one of many Karelian evacuees during WW2 and I did this to respect her and my roots in Karelia.

Silly Rawhide...
    I remembered this I just didn't want to bring it up since it seemed personal!

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Troll in the Playground

Silly Rawhide...
    Man, that's a lot of weight of history behind a name change. Sure a better reason than the brief time I considered getting one to swap around my legal first and middle names... to make it less of a pain on legal documents.

No, I'm not holding any resentment towards my parents or anything for their stupid name reasoning or anything...
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #1269

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Man, that's a lot of weight of history behind a name change. Sure a better reason than the brief time I considered getting one to swap around my legal first and middle names... to make it less of a pain on legal documents.

No, I'm not holding any resentment towards my parents or anything for their stupid name reasoning or anything...
    Look on the bright side at least you aren't an anime.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Ehhhhhh.... I dunno. I might take that instead. (Yes, even that exact one.) Easier on the official forms. At least it'd be interesting. Not because of reasoning that even my parents now admit is stupid.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Troll in the Playground

I remembered this I just didn't want to bring it up since it seemed personal!
    Eh, not that personal tbh! As long as my actual surnames are spread around. But yeah it's nice to kinda explain the reason why, so it's alrighto that you didn't mention it. Zoozie zoom~

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post

Yeah, it's a big thing for me though I will never abandom my original surname - I will always be a [insert surname here] gal.

My brain is tired. "I mean Dark Shadow is kind of a special name, but Shadow Dark kinda sounds a tad silly. Well, whatever, it's not my name!"

For the longest time I really wanted to switch between my middle name and first name, but there was really no reason behind it so I decided to go the route I'm in now. My third Christian name is my gran's (mother's side, different gran) so that would've been silly.

But, nyawww, Zodiful, your name is so nice! And the story behind it is one of the best I've ever heard so there's that.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Troll in the Playground

My brain is tired. "I mean Dark Shadow is kind of a special name, but Shadow Dark kinda sounds a tad silly. Well, whatever, it's not my name!"

Pfffffft... XD

Noooo, didn't quite get named that by my parents.

Thanks, that made me laugh.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Barbarian in the Playground

Could be worse, your middle name might rhyme with namecalling (being called gay constantly in middle and high school because my middle name rhymes with it and we had dozens of people with my first name wore very very thin after about a week). :P

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Troll in the Playground

That's fair. All my middle name (which I go by, and isn't really uncommon) does is sound like a good half dozen other names. So every time I introduce myself to someone, there's a conversation that goes something like this (Only with my actual name. ):

"Hi there, I'm Shadow."

"Oh, nice to meet you, Shallow."

"No, it's Sha-dow."

"Oh, Badow?"

"Shadow."

"Sorry, Hadow."

"Shadow. S-H-A-D-O-W."

Every time. And let's not even get into my last name.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2016-11-06 at 03:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ettin in the Playground

But, nyawww, Zodiful, your name is so nice! And the story behind it is one of the best I've ever heard so there's that.
    Wait.

What?

(Zodi, if it's awkward or anything please don't feel pressured to respond ofc)
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-11-06 at 06:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Barbarian in the Playground

So today I took the weekend off from running my Roll20 game. Kinda felt I needed it. I'll try again next week when people are going to actually going to be around (looking at you, Tailiu ;) )

17. - Top - End - #1277

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Wait.

What?

(Zodi, if it's awkward or anything please don't feel pressured to respond ofc)
    I think she means how my name means "sound design" and "colour".

(Finn please help I don't actually remember this.)

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ettin in the Playground

...Your name is Acoustics Hue? That's kind of weird.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    ...Your name is Acoustics Hue? That's kind of weird.
    I mean, I don't see "Acoustics" as being too bad. But, man, I'd feel sorry if you went by Hue. Sooooo many ways to fall into the problem I had. "Hey, Hugh," and others of that ilk. (And then you get the jokers going "A. Hue" )

That's not even getting into always reacting to "Hey, you!" I thought my friend Andy had it bad for always hearing his name in phrases like "And he did it!" But this just takes the cake. Ooh... caaake.

I mean, Hue is a lovely name, just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

I think she means how my name means "sound design" and "colour".

(Finn please help I don't actually remember this.)
    I actually mean the story how you got your name. (you told me on skype one time) ... and the meaning s colourful sound so yeah.
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-11-07 at 04:10 AM.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

21. - Top - End - #1281

I actually mean the story how you got your name. (you told me on skype one time) ... and the meaning s colourful sound so yeah.
    I legitimately don't remember this aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah *falls into a pit*

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Troll in the Playground

*falls into a pit*
    *looks down*

...I think we need to re-examine our thread policy on bottomless pits, and the safety standards thereof.

And maybe set up a save point.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, I see. Story or not, that's a cool name! Synesthesia and all. And you're in good company:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1284

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Oh, I see. Story or not, that's a cool name! Synesthesia and all. And you're in good company:
    Spoiler
    Show

The story is that my Mom was looking through a baby book and saw my name and thought it'd be a really cute and good name. So woo.

And nice. A tennis player and a pop idol. That's me alright.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ettin in the Playground

Who would make a better Ninja Turtle: Vincent or Pablo?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Who would make a better Ninja Turtle: Vincent or Pablo?
    I don't actually know the Ninja Turtles, but a constantly surly and pessimistic turtle would be a way to round out the team, so I like the sound of Vincent. Not sure what weapon he'd have though; a boatload of shurikan would be a great way to irritate enemies and stick into delicate machinery would be nice, but they aren't much help in close quarters.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

27. - Top - End - #1287

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    I don't actually know the Ninja Turtles, but a constantly surly and pessimistic turtle would be a way to round out the team, so I like the sound of Vincent. Not sure what weapon he'd have though; a boatload of shurikan would be a great way to irritate enemies and stick into delicate machinery would be nice, but they aren't much help in close quarters.
    Not for nothing but Raphael is pretty surly and sometimes pessimistic. He is mostly just a roughboy that wants to stab something though.

28. - Top - End - #1288

NecromancerGuy

Vincent would be the emo edgelord that's also sensitive and wants to highlight the plight of the poor or something and then goes mad.

Pablo would be the pervy one, taking the role of would-be human shtupper from Mikey, so he's perfect for ecchi doujins, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Stockholm got 2+1 decimetres of snow and now the traffic is stuck. And I have to go straight through it. Progress is done at near Great War-ian paces, I even got out of the car to fetch my computer from the trunk (which I'm so very glad I did). The snow is very pretty, but for most of the time, the view is blocked by the endless numbers of trailer trucks...

I've been able to deflect the hopelessness with humour, but that power source is starting to run dry as hunger is starting to take hold. I've got an emergency supply of glucose tablets, but those are only good for short bursts in face of aversity, and I've only got 4 left.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Troll in the Playground

I'm glad I live pretty much in the countryside - there's about 20-25cm of snow and people are only complaining how their street/driveway hasn't been cleared up from snow! Even though pretty much all of these people have cars that can handle the snow! HOORAY!

... I am so loving this snow.

Nalle, have you had the chance to make any snow angels? ... do you even like making them? Hmm... snow nalles?
    Oh now I just have to build a snow-nalle instead of a snowman when the weather allows.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~