New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Very (un)Common Quest (IC)

Lucas sees Zeb flailing his shirt around. Zeb, I don't think you're going to dissipate this fog like that. What do you say we go for the thing at the end of this hallway at once?

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move to L10. Ready an attack for anything hostile that comes at him.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Wayland shifts her weight and prepares to dash over to the now visible kobold, but realizes that if she does, the other one might make its escape past her post and hurt innocent villagers. Instead she tries to rally Zeb to her. "Zeb? Come back here, if you can. One just ran to the back door, and hit Ronnalt! But... it looks like they are gonna knock him down. Come make sure the other one doesn't try to rush past here and go out and hurt the villagers..."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gammy bursts from the shadows, slamming the Kobold hard into the wall with its hard skull. The creature crumples to the ground, motionless. After a few quiet moments, the fog dissipates, revealing the store empty of any more problems. Morgana bursts into the doorway, flashing a toothy grin from ear to ear. She raises her arms with a squeal and grabs Wayland into a hug from behind.

You did it! Thank you so so much! I was so worried! Now... are you all alright?

She looks around and smiles at any of the villagers she can see. Other villagers begin to pile in, each muttering to themselves about the bravery just displayed. The crowd grows quickly, filling the front of Morgana's Shop. It seems that everyone is inside the shop, except Onirim, who is still face-down in the ground outside.

4. - Top - End - #124

Can somebody check it that kobold is dead or just unconsious? There was another one, we need to find it or at least be certain it is gone.

Show
    Lucas will go to L6 and check for holes, windows, anyway a kobold could have escaped.

Spot check (if needed): (1d20+2)[14]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bolliver ignores the onrush of gabbling townsfolk and stays by the door, still unsure whether the second adversary escaped or has found a better hiding spot. He does bend down to retrieve his bloodied spear and check the vitals of the fallen kobold, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't think a check is needed just to see if he's dying or not, but just in case, and to try and stabilize if needed: (1d20+1)[12] Heal.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Wayland pushes Morgana back as best as she can. "Stop! Don't come in yet. There is another one. And the other one is probably the one that made the mist."

7. - Top - End - #127

Goblin

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm a little confused about what's going on, so I'm going to act as if "combat" is still on.

Zeb stopped fanning the fog away. Lucas was right: his arms would probably tire before it did any good anyhow.
    It sounded like Ronnalt and Bollie had put down one of the varmints already, which meant only one was left. But where was it? The fog was clearing out now, but Zeb still couldn't see the little beast.

The blacksmith's daughter was working to keep Morgana from entering the lion's den, and the Weavers' son was stepping forward to investigate further.

"Supposin' you just stay put, Morgana?" Zeb said, "I reckon we've got the last varmint cornered, probably hiding somewhere. We tried to be peaceable, but now it looks like we're going to have to squash it hard, or make sure it don't ever come back!" He turned his attention to the (still not visible) lizard-person, which he supposed was tucked away in some corner or nook somewhere. "All right, you rascal," he muttered under his breath, "Where are you?"

Show
    Walking around that last aisle and corner with Lucas, looking closely for evidence of the remaining kobold.
    [roll]1d20+5 [/roll] Spot
    [roll]1d20+6 [/roll] Listen

8. - Top - End - #128

Spoiler: Lucas Check
    Show
    Lucas looks around the back for the other Kobold. The back of the store is still, as there is no sign of the second Kobold. There is a window on the back wall, and the open back door of course, but as the mist dies down, you see no sign of a Kobold at all. It's as if it was never there.

Spoiler: Bolliver Check
    Show
    Bolliver grabs his bloodied spear and wipes some of the blood off with a nearby cloth. The blood dries quickly as your eyes look to the downed Kobold. You drop to your knees, intent on making sure the Kobold is indeed dead. It lies in a crumpled mess with blood splattered on the wall behind it. It has no pulse and its tongue is sticking out (a clear sign of death). A small spear lies on the floor beside it.

Morgana is taken aback by Wayland's outburst. Her brown eyes widen momentarily as she regains her composure rather quickly. The other villagers quiet down a moment as they all turn their gaze towards Wayland. The hushed tones turn into vocal concerns of a Kobold on the loose. The murmuring grows louder until cries and shrieks are heard. Morgana raises her hands in a feeble attempt to silence the mob, but it only encourages the rowdy behavior. She looks to Wayland and sets a hand on her hip.

Look what you've done. Now we've got the whole town freaking out!

Spoiler: For Zeb
    Show

Don't put a space in your roll. It should all be connected.
    Last edited by the Frogman; 2016-06-03 at 12:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

As Bolliver checks on the kobold, Ronnalt takes the momentary distraction to slip past him and out the back door. He runs to the nearest building and puts his back against the wall, wide eyes darting around furiously. He clutches the loaf of bread under his shirt.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ronn will move out of the building, and just make a spot check. (1d20-1)[14]
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

10. - Top - End - #130

Goblin

Rerolling for tag errors:

(1d20+5)[10] Spot
    (1d20+6)[13] Listen

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Wayland gave Morgana a heavy frown, and a Smith glare. "I did not bring those creatures here. Regardless the second one seems to have escaped."

"However, I doubt it returns. It didn't get to steal anything, and his partner died, it appears. I've got a lot of smiting to get done today. Call me if you need anything. Also, do an inventory check to see if anything was stolen. I got one bag back, but who is to say the other critter didn't make off with something. "

Wayland put her free hand on Morgana's shoulder. "I'm sorry this happened. If anything is missing, we'll take it out of Onirim's pay. Drunk, lazy bastard..."

Wayland walked over to the back door and surveyed the mess before picking up the small spear. "A bit of extra wood and we could use this as a spear ourselves. I'll add it to my list of things to do today. Where did Ronnalt run off to? Someone go check on him and make sure he is alright. I've got to get back to work."

And she left, headed to the forge.

12. - Top - End - #132

Still watching the back door, Bolliver takes some time to thoroughly look over the kobold and its belongings, to see if it has anything that might show why it was here, as well as anything of value to show the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 for Search, gives score of 19

He looks up at Wayland.

Shame there's no halflings around these parts anymore, could sell it to them. A few silver apiece wouldn't hurt. But better than that would be finding out why they're here. And better still, where his friend went.

13. - Top - End - #133

Lucas approaches the back window and looks outside for any sign of the Kobold.

Show
    Spot check (if needed): (1d20+2)[22]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Cylvia whoops aloud, picking Gammy up and whirling him around. Good one boy! You barely got yer horns'n they've already got blood on 'em!

She stops her celebration when an idea strikes her.

Well, since we ain't got no halflings to sell to... She rips off a strip of the Kobold's shirt, tying it around Gammy's head like a bandanna.

Spoils of war an' all that.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

15. - Top - End - #135

Spoiler: Zeb Check
    Show
    Zeb does not see or hear anything outside of the bickering villagers.

Spoiler: Bolliver Check
    Show
    Bolliver looks the body over for anything that would offer a hint of a clue. The Kobold is bare of anything of significance. He's wearing a cloth tunic and has a small pouch with 3 copper pieces attached to a cord around his waist. On his right thigh though, he has a small crescent moon tattoo.

Spoiler: Lucas Check
    Show
    Lucas looks out into the openness of Ro's fields. With his excellent vision, he sees nothing but open field. The grass looks untouched. It's as if there were no Kobolds.

Morgana watches as Wayland storms from the shop and lets out a sigh. She looks over the crowd, feebly attempting to quiet the crowd. The door swings open though as a man bursts through. He has wild red hair with large sideburns. His crystal blue eyes have a crazed look, or perhaps he just hasn't slept. Everyone immediately recognizes the man as Baron Blunderbuss, the Baron of Ro. Regardless, the man's head twists back and forth as he scans the crowd before making an announcement.

I need help! Desperately!

16. - Top - End - #136

Bolliver takes the pouch, and takes a moment to pat Gammy on the head.

Always figured you for a special goat, Gammy. Didn't exactly think it'd be because you killed a kobold, but life's funny like that.

He looks up with a start at the Baron's arrival, and finally abandons his post to see what the fuss is about.

Ho there, my lord. What's the problem?

17. - Top - End - #137

Baron runs a shaky hand through his thick, wild red hair and looks to Bolliver with wide eyes. He crosses his arms on his chest and shakes his head nervously.

It's the Duke! He's coming in today to collect taxes! I... I'm so unprepared!

The growing mob groans in unison. A few hurl insults to Baron Blunderbuss. He quickly throws up hands to quiet the crowd.

I just need a little help! If some of you can... say... distract the Duke, and buy me some time... I should be able to scrounge up enough tax money. Help? Can anyone help?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Cylvia crosses her arms, looking stern. You want us to scratch yer back, how d'ya plan t'scratch ours?

19. - Top - End - #139

Blunderbuss looks to Clyvia and tilts his head to the side. He pauses before responding.

We can figure that out later. He'll be here any moment! Hide Onirim's drunken ass, put on your best smile, and for the gods' sake... get rid of that smell of death!
    Last edited by the Frogman; 2016-06-04 at 11:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Bolliver raises an eyebrow at the wild-eyed noble. Well, not so fast. If you want the man distracted, wouldn't the scene of this little kerfuffle work wonders? We can pepper him with questions about the safety of the realm and such. How sad it is that even with the taxes he has collected in previous years, us common folk are still subjected to these horrors. Though the questions of where the tax money has gone to seems one we will all want answered by you, at length, when this is done.

21. - Top - End - #141

Goblin

There is a reason no one bows to a baron. A duke or prince, yes; but never the likes of Baron Blunderbuss.

Zeb stood back, leaning against a shelf as his fellow village folk conversed with the good baron, promising some mutual arrangement that involved stalling the duke's entourage. Heh! Zeb thought bitterly, They slay one little lizard-man and they're suddenly having delusions of grandeur! Daring to take their peasant demands before a duke! Bah!

"Baron," he called out, "As you know, some of us has got land to work and chores to do. Tain't like we just have spare time to spend on this sort of thing. Me and Bollie's got a grasshopper problem we need to deal with. Supposin' you provide us the funds we need to try a sort of... special venture ol' Morty was offerin'... well, I reckon that just might make up for the time I'm losing on my chores right now."

"Of course, there's also the trouble of the duke being liable to put us all to the rack for darin' to talk to his face, us bein' commonfolk and all. I don't suppose you'd be plannin' to help us outta that tight spot, if it comes to that, would ya?'

22. - Top - End - #142

Baron, if I may ask: How much time do you need? And, well... how much can we lie? Would you provide some clothes more fit to speak to such a personality?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Ronnalt sits, catching his breath for a minute. He fingers the stab wound in his hip, wincing as the pain shoots up his side. A few inches up or to the right and he would have had a much worse problem to worry about. Bloody kobolds and their twice-cursed spears! His eyes dart around, searching for any more of the beasts, but he sees none, thankfully enough.

All that and nothing to show for it but a bloody shirt and a loaf of bread. Dealing with monsters was Onirim's job, not his. The idiot had been too drunk to even lift his sword arm. Onirim better watch his back after this.

Voices drift Ronnalt's way. What's Baron Blunder on about over there? A distraction, huh? Ronnalt grins maniacally as an idea forms in his head.
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

24. - Top - End - #144

The Baron balls his hands into fists and shakes them in front of his chest.

I haven't been taxing you enough for the past few years. That's enough for you to help me out now! Unless you want me to raise your taxes, I would suggest you help... Baron Blunderbuss's face twists in a grotesque pose as he sniffs the air. Will someone please fix that death smell?

Outside the doors, the sound of horses marching in unison grows louder and louder. The Baron's eyes open. He shoots a glance out the front of Morgana's Shop and lets out a high-pitched shriek.

It's him! It's the Duke! Quick! Someone hide Onirim's body!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

All the ruckus has Wayland walking back just in time to hear the last of what the Baron is shouting. "Jake, will you help me carry this oaf to my shop. We'll ask my father to knock some sense into the man. Besides I need to explain why I am no at the shop working."

26. - Top - End - #146

Leave with four men and weapons, quickly. We'll tell the Duke that we were attacked by a Kobold raiding party, we defended ourselves succesfully, and you left with some men to chase the stragglers so they don't come back. Then you can return hopefully with the money. It does require the whole village to agree on this, can we do it?

27. - Top - End - #147

Bolliver stows away his spears and takes Onirim's legs.

Here, I've got the other end, Wayland. No sense the boy having to deal with this lush. And I've no strong interest to see this malarkey unfold.

He grabs the feet of the useless guard and lifts when Wayland directs him to.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Wayland nodded and picked the man up with Bolliver's aid. She lead the way to her home.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Cylvia still isn't convinced. Y'know, I ain't as smart as you, your Baron-ness, so I can't help but wonder... if we don't go along with this scheme, what are the chances that you'll even have the power to raise our taxes anymore?

30. - Top - End - #150

Goblin

Zeb chuckled at the goatherder's daughter. From the mouth of babes...

Still, even if Baron Blunderbuss would lose his power of taxation, every alternate scenario would include somebody who could tax them. Best not to leverage him too hard, lest somebody worse be installed in his place.

Zeb also heard Bolliver mutter something about avoiding the whole thing, and Zeb instantly realized he had been too slow in the game, again.

"Ah, young Miss Smith," he called, hurrying after them, [color]"It is... uh, unbecoming of a..."[/color] he nearly choked on the next word, "....ahem... a gentleman to stand by and leave a lady to carry such a heavy load. Please allow me to get that for you."

He fully expected odd looks from Bollie and Wayland over a comment like that, and perhaps even some sort of reprimand, but Baron Blunderbuss probably didn't know any better. He shot Wayland a look that hopefully conveyed pleading (which not a look he was particularly accustomed to making, so it needed a lot of hope).

When he caught up to them, he felt the need to explain himself further. "Look, I know you don't need my help, Wayland," he said, "But y'all ain't bailin' on this and leavin' me to deal with the duke. 'Sides, Lucas can talk his way outta anything: I'd probably only get in his way. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas wound up advisor to the duke's court after this.

Then again, perhaps someone oughta be looking' after Morgana. That ain't a job for Zeb, though: don't rightly know who'd be good for it."