New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Veteran Units & Leveling Up

Has anyone else noticed that in the last few comics there have been a number of references to units of the same type not all having the same stats? In today’s comic we have a number of ‘strong’ examples of ‘weak’ dwagon types. In #56 we have a mention of 5 ‘top’ gwiffons who have more move than the other gwiffons and in #55 we were introduced to the concept of warlords ‘leveling up’ after winning battles.

In combination I think this shows that erf world has some kind leveling system whereby standard units can become more powerful over time. Personally I think it may be based on a ‘veteran unit’ system where by units that achieve a certain number of kills are granted bonuses to their stats. Furthermore I think this probably ties into the conversion of normal troops into warlords. Perhaps once a unit achieves a veteran status it becomes eligible to be upgraded to a warlord?

Warlords seem to have a different leveling system to that of the common troops. As leaders they seem to gain levels based on the number of ‘victories’ the stack they lead has had rather then on the number of units they personally kill. That is probably why Stanly wanted to send Parson into battle, so that he could 'level up' a bit and become more useful.

What do people think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Veteran Units & Leveling Up

Conscript < Regular < Veteran < Elite (as Civ III does it).

Works for me!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

i think Tool wanted to send Parson into combat to get rid of a useless (in his opinion) warlord, not level him up. He has very little patience for things that don't go his way and no regard for anyone other than his top few people.
    Curxzed
    Retired 95 Warrior
    Realm of Insanity
    EQ1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well it seems that different pink dwagons have different move stats. Sizemore seemed to be trying to get better at magic by taking lessons in 11. And we know that warlords can level up by winning engagements. Also the twoll in 10 could barely count to three while Bogroll can make a fairly detailed piece of amour, and remember the details. Also we know that units can be promoted, but what all the affects are for that are unknown.
    So it seems that all units can be unique but how they achieve that uniqueness we don't really know. They might have to gain unique traits by fighting or perhaps it could be based on construction cost, what structures the building city has, or random chance. It seems warlords can level up by combat, and casters can improve by learning.
    What we know about Erfworld still has allot of holes, but we'll learn probably learn more in the future.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Most fantasy RTS games feature leveling heros, and some have leveling troops as well. Heros often have many levels, usually 10, 15, or even 20, while rank-and-file troops rarely have more than 3 or 5 levels.