New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hope Lost

1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Hope Lost

I don't know about my heart but clerics have told me I have a remarkably durable set of kidneys.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Lahoran who'd been quietly watching so far stood up as well.

"I agree, our best chances of stopping whatever did this is to group up. I'll join you in this."
    Lahoran Lostforest
    Spoiler: Stats
    Show

Female NG Illumian Favored Soul, Level 3, Init 0, HP 20/20, DR 0, Speed 30
    AC 14, Touch 10, Flat-footed 14, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Mwk Stave 5 (1d6/1d6, x2)
    Chain Shirt (+4 Armor)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 18
    Condition None
    Lahoran Lostforest

3. - Top - End - #93

Krunk sits back for a minute and thinks about what Darell said. After a while he interrupts the conversation and says "Wait. Guys. Wait. Do you think they guy I found was dead?"
    Spoiler: Krunk
    Show
    Krunk
    Male Half-Orc Barbarian, Level 3, Init 0, HP 34/34, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 10, Flat-footed 17, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will -1, Base Attack Bonus +3
    Masterworked Warhammer +9 (1d8 + 5, x3)
    Spiked Shield +8 (1d6 + 5, x2)
    Masterworked Greataxe +9 (1d12 + 5, x3)
    Masterworked Breastplate, Masterworked Heavy Wooden Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield)
    Abilities Str 20, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 5, Wis 7, Cha 5
    Condition None

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Celawyn listened to the conversation, chiming in when Krunk spoke. "Unfortunately, yes. The individual that you found in the wilderness is no longer living. Do not trouble yourself over it, our best guess is that there was no way for you to save him. The best you can do for him is bring justice to his killer"

She looked around the room at the five strangers forming, very slowly, into a group. "I bid you luck in your journey. And may the Domain's justice be served. If you have any further need of me, you can ask any of my deputies. They should know how to track me down by now. If you need supplies to prepare for your journey, there are a few shops in Elmsbroook that should offer anything that might be needed. They can also direct you to the stables, should you need a mount. I wish I could stay longer."

With that, Celawyn gave a curt bow and took her leave.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I am already tired of these people and we haven't even started yet...

Thane sighs and addresses the group-

"I have some things to purchase, I suggest we all do whatever we need to do and then meet at the inn at first light tomorrow and we head out. The desert will cover up any leads before long so if want any chance at finding the killer we should make haste. And do not think this will be an easy task, I grew up in the desert and it is not forgiving to those who aren't wary. I think we should all get a mount for the journey as well...and maybe a mount tonight..."

And with a wink, Thane turns and leaves. Returning to the familiar streets and happy to be out of the sheriff's offices, Thane relaxes a bit and focuses on the task at hand.

OOC: I am just going to do some shopping and will only role play if people interact with me. If not then I will be ready to skip to the morning or whatever is next.
    Spoiler: Thane
    Show
    Thane
    Male Human Ranger/Scout, Level 2/1, Init 2, HP 20/20, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 12, Flat-footed 14, Fort 4, Ref 7, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Masterwork Composite Longbow (40) +5 (+3/+3) (1D8+1, x3)
    Masterwork Longsword (-) +3 (1D8+1, 19-20 x2)
    Dagger (-) +3 (1D4+1, 19-20 x2)
    Masterwork Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 12
    Condition None

6. - Top - End - #96

Flumph

Darell follows Thane out the door and taps him on the lower left scapula
    Excuse me, you seem to know how to deal with people. Do you think you could help me purchase a, what was it? A mount? I'm only about 87 out of 103 parts sure what that is.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thane turns around when Darell taps him, upon hearing his request, Thane's eyes flash a split second of rage before he controls himself, and with as pleasant a smile as possible-

"...yes I can help you. Come with me"

As much as I dislike these people, I need to play nice until I can make my move...

Thane proceeds to continue on his way with swift strides, assuming Darell is behind him, Thane begins the laborious task of small talk-

"So...Darell right? What's your deal? Like...what are you?"
    Show
    Thane
    Condition None

8. - Top - End - #98

Flumph

What an intriguing question. What am I? What are any of use really? I mean we all seem to have some level of sentience that sets us apart, and many believe above, the majority of living creatures. But why is that? Just because we can think harder than them? I suppose the people who believe that are the same that hold prejudice against the orcs. Is it by divine right that we hold the glorious burden of supposedly superior intellect as the clerics would have you believe? But if that's true then how can we listen to the legends of old in which men or elves or orcs or any race rose up to engage in brutal combat with the gods themselves? Would the existence of such legends not contradict the idea that the gods shouldered us with some purpose, since it would seem that purpose results in us sentient few rising and occasionally killing a god, if you believe the manuscripts of old? I think that maybe we're just a bunch of stuff that happened and now everyone is caught up in trying to continue happening.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thane stops and looks at Darell with half squinted eyes

"I meant what are you, as in, are you a warrior or something or are you going to be dead weight to me?"

Thane then relaxes a bit and finds some pleasure in the man's rant

"...That being said, you're response was quite insightful...and shows a great understand of the world. Where are you from? And I mean, where did you walk from, not what god created whatever and whatever..."
    Show
    Thane
    Condition None

10. - Top - End - #100

Krunk stands up and says "Well if we are leaving first thing in the morning I'm just going to head back to the bar. Everyone is welcome to join me."

With that, he heads out of the sheriff's office and makes his way back to the inn to continue drinking.
    Show
    Krunk
    Masterworked Breastplate, Masterworked Heavy Wooden Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield)
    Condition None

11. - Top - End - #101

Flumph

A warrior? By the voices, no. I'm a psion, much more precise, sometimes, I guess.

Darell seems to lose focus for a minute, looking into the distance with unfocused eyes.

Where did I come from before this. I can't remember. I think I walked in from the Quiet Sea, I remember heat. But that was months ago. I think.

12. - Top - End - #102

Daemon

As Ðorde leaves the sheriff's office he heads back to his monastery to gather his belongings. He puts all of his supplies in his old burlap pack, and lays down for a night of uneasy rest.

In the morning Ðorde begins to prepare the old monastery for his absence which basically meant getting out a sign he had written long ago on an old piece of parchment that read:

I am not here,
    But all are welcome.
    - Ðorde

As he left he hung the sign on the unlocked door then headed to the stables to meet the others at sunrise.
    Spoiler: Vladislav Stat Block
    Show
    Vladislav II
    Male CG Human Savage Bardbarian, Level 5th [3rd (SBD) 2nd (BB)], Init -1, HP 44/44, Speed 40
    AC 17, Touch 9, Flat-footed 17, Fort 10, Ref 1, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Keen Longsword +7 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2)
    Longbow (20) +3 (1d8, x3)
    +1 Chain Shirt, +1 Light Steel Shield (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, -1 Dex, +1 Natural)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 7, Cha 16
    Condition None

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Lahoran after leaving the meeting room heads out to purchase things for the desert, a few vials for specimen collection an extra water skin and some medical supplies, before returning to the room she'd rented at the inn to organize her belongings for a long trip. Ready to leave at a moments notice Lahoran rests until the appointed time.
    Lahoran Lostforest
    Show

Chain Shirt (+4 Armor)
    Condition None
    Lahoran Lostforest

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Without hope, there can be no fear. The coward fears what might be, not what surely is.
    -Schialt, King's Philosopher

Elmsbrook was bathed in pale morning light as five travelers made their way from their scattered beds to the eastern stables. They prepared or purchased mounts as the sun slowly rose behind a thin layer of clouds. The sun was just above the horizon as they left the stables and Elmsbrook behind them to ride off towards the sunrise. And towards the Quiet Sea.

The morning passed uneventfully. The eastern path was well-worn, despite the lack of recent trade, and made travel over the grassy hills easy for man or beast. The five travelers passed half-a-dozen small farmhouses, most of which where some distance from the path. The sky darkened with cloud cover as the miles slowly passed, but the day remained bright enough to see some distance from the tops of the hills. As they rode, the sound of hooves on dirt was accompanied by the songs of dozens of species of birds nesting in scattered copses of trees.

Wildlife was plentiful. An assortment of rabbits and rodents could be spotted in the shin-high grass, and from the crest of one hill a bear and her two cubs could be seen far off to the south. The travelers saw no people, save one young boy herding a dozen sheep along a narrow valley to the north of the path. The boy watched them pass with casual disinterest.

Shortly before midday it began to rain. It was a soft, misty rain that added little discomfort to their travel. After some time, they took shelter in a stand of cottonwoods along a small creek running south to north. There they dismounted for a short lunch and let the animals graze. The water was clear, and it formed a shallow pool where they chose to rest.

Continuing their journey, the sky slowly darkened and the rain slowly picked up as the day passed. Shortly before the day's riding came to and end, as the group began to look for a suitable place to camp for the night, the rain died out and the sky lightened. The sun had not yet set when they rounded a bend and saw a man seated at the base of a poplar tree less than fifty yards ahead.

15. - Top - End - #105

Daemon

Ðorde greets each person he met the day before at the sheriff's office as they walk up.

When the party begins to mount however he makes a point to strike up a position beside Krunk before they stop for lunch.

"It must have been quite the shock when you found out that man had been dead after bringing him all this way. Are you alright?"
    Show
    Vladislav II
    Male CG Human Savage Bardbarian, Level 5th [3rd (SBD) 2nd (BB)], Init -1, HP 44/44, Speed 40
    Condition None

16. - Top - End - #106

Flumph

Darell blankly stares at Dorde when he greets him until he realizes he is supposed to return the greeting (which he does with some awkwardness).

After being reminded again to feed and water his horse by Thane, Darell mounts and spends the journey to the Quiet Sea staring wide eyed at his surroundings scribbling furiously in a notebook without even glancing down at it.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thane meets everybody and gets his things together and saddles his horse. Which he is uncharacteristically compassionate towards and gives no explanation as to why when asked, other than "she is special to me"

After getting sorted and helping Darell get situated Thane takes the lead position and leads the group towards the merchants path through the Quiet Sea.

Throughout the journey Thane is characteristically quiet but is eager to learn about his companions and find any weaknesses or strengths they might possess. Thane keeps a vigilant watch on their surroundings since he is familiar with the dangers of the area.

When he has the opportunity Thane likes to hunt and forage to supplement the tasteless rations they brought.
    Show
    Thane
    Condition None

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Maks Lawjick View Post
    Ðorde greets each person he met the day before at the sheriff's office as they walk up.

When the party begins to mount however he makes a point to strike up a position beside Krunk before they stop for lunch.

"It must have been quite the shock when you found out that man had been dead after bringing him all this way. Are you alright?"
    As Krunk mounts Avruu he answers Ðorde "Oh yeah, I'm fine. I've been around plenty of dead people before. I've made plenty of dead people myself actually. I'm just surprised he didn't smell bad."

As they ride, Krunk tells tales, in a very boisterous manner, about when he fought the horseman tribes, the countless gnoll he has slaughtered, and even the werewolf that he fought hand to hand. There is not a second that passes that Krunk is not talking and for the most part he is in a great mood, only waning when he complains about the heat (he is from the north).
    Show
    Krunk
    Condition None

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Lahoran approaches the stables a bit more subdued than the day before, since she no longer has to force herself to reach out to others like last night she simply smiles in response to the greetings and prepares her angry red horse. She spends the rest of the ride observing the local plant life, reaching out to any close by to better note them, or passively enjoying the boisterous and friendly orc's stories.
    Lahoran Lostforest
    Show

Chain Shirt (+4 Armor)
    Condition None
    Lahoran Lostforest

20. - Top - End - #110

Krunk notices the man as soon as they round the bend, but doesn't think much of it. Unless someone wants to stop, Krunk just keeps riding past the man.

Spoiler: Aaron
    Show
    Do I notice anything unusual about the man or if he has any weapons?
    Show
    Krunk
    Condition None

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thane notices the man by the tree but does not pay him much attention other than a quick look over to gauge if he is hostile or armed.

Spot +5
    Show
    Thane
    Condition None

22. - Top - End - #112

Daemon

Ðorde nods with a smile to the half-orc to indicate how happy he was that Krunk had not been phased by the dead man.

This half-orc will be a powerful ally, he has obviously braved battle before. I am glad to have Krunk with me on this journey; we will need him.

Ðorde has an at ease expression as he listens further to the stories trying to acquaint himself with Krunk's history.

When the party approaches the man in the road Ðorde slows Amber's gait to a trot about 200 feet away. He does not say anything and waits to see how his party responds.
    Show
    Vladislav II
    Condition None

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

An angry badger comes hurtling out of the woods at full speed towards the travelling party. As he gets close to the adventurers the shadowy figure at the base of the poplar tree rises and approaches. The badger suddenly calms down without a word from the figure.

"Sorry about that folks. Chuck here doesn't take too kindly to strangers."

Drew pats his badger, Chuck on it's head while awaiting the group's reaction.
    Male Neutral Half Elf Druid, Level 3, Init 1, HP 20/20, Speed
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Quarterstaff +5 (1 D6 +2, x2)
    Dart (10) 4 (1 D4 +2, x2)
    +1 Leather Armor, Heavy Wooden Shield Masterworked (+3 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Condition None

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Immediately following the outburst of the badger and the stranger's apology, a shrieking roar could be heard from somewhere north of the group's position. A stand of trees 40 yards to the north blocks clear sight of the crest of the hill just beyond.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thane tenses as the badger approaches but upon hearing the stranger speak he calms a bit from the primal reaction of an animal charging you. Addressing the stranger through scornful eyes-

"Where did you get a badger? They aren't from these parts as far as I know. And why are you all the way out here? Are you travelling?"

Upon hearing the shriek in the distance Thane tenses up again and reaches for his bow.

"What new hell is this?"

Thane scans the trees to the north looking for the source of the sound
    Spot +5
    Show
    Thane
    Condition None

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

The man with the badger was dressed in animal pelts and carried a battered bow staff. He appeared to be homeless or perhaps just lost. Then again he could be a hermit who lives in the woods.

"This ain't no ordinary badger bloke. He's my friend too, which is more than I can say for you lot."

Upon hearing the distant calamity Drew turns to his badger and asks:

"What was that boy?"
    Last edited by Mr Anonymous; 2016-07-24 at 12:04 AM.
    Male Neutral Half Elf Druid, Level 3, Init 1, HP 20/20, Speed
    AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 5, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Quarterstaff +5 (1 D6 +2, x2)
    Dart (10) 4 (1 D4 +2, x2)
    +1 Leather Armor, Heavy Wooden Shield Masterworked (+3 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 12
    Condition None

27. - Top - End - #117

As the badger comes running towards the group, Krunk just stares at it with a very confused look. After Drew stops the badger he realizes what it is. With a hearty laugh Krunk says "What a cute little furry fella. What did you say his name was? Chuck?"

The sudden roar catches Krunk off guard and he immediately forgets about the stranger and the badger and looks to see what it came from. "Anybody know what that was?"
    Show
    Krunk
    Condition None

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Lahoran's horse huffs and shies away from the sudden badger appearance, she reigns in her horse and is about to address the poorly dressed man when an ear splitting roar shakes her. She quickly starts glancing nervously towards the source, eyes scanning the tree line, ears straining, hand firmly on the haft of her glaive.

Spot check +1
    Listen check +1
    Lahoran Lostforest
    Show

Chain Shirt (+4 Armor)
    Condition None
    Lahoran Lostforest

29. - Top - End - #119

Daemon

Being at the back of the group after slowing his horse Amber down Ðorde starts to creep up to the rest of the group after Krunk starts asking about the badger.

Before he gets close enough to introduce himself he hears the roar and immediately looks where he knows a hill is behind the trees.

He poses a question to the group.
    "Should we investigate?"
    Show
    Vladislav II
    Condition None

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Having no intention of sitting and waiting for something to happen, Thane dismounts his steed and leaves all his gear on the saddle except for his weapons. He puts his hand on the horse's snout and looks her in the eyes

"I'll be right back, stay here girl."

Thane ruffles her mane and then turns to the group.

"I will investigate, don't make too much noise. But be ready to come and help me or to run at a moments notice."

With that, Thane runs off at a half crouch towards the trees with his bow drawn constantly scanning the treeline and listening for any evidence as to what or where the source of the noise is.
    Last edited by Sorontar; 2016-07-28 at 01:17 PM.
    Show
    Thane
    Condition None