New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Most Ridiculous Rules in RPGS

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    I have no quarrel with someone who might say, for instance, "The D&D HP system doesn't model anything at all. It's entirely an abstract game mechanic, an open-ended "cinematic toughness", and nothing more." -- I don't like the system, and that person does, and we can disagree as a matter of differing tastes.

I do however have a quarrel with the ongoing attempts to claim that said system is actually a functional map/model of anything at all, and there's a massive, blatant, laugh-out-loud-funny irony in the comment (the one you quoted) about "pretending it's something it's not".

If it's resistance to damage, then what is the armor portion of AC, and what's a fortitude save, and what's DR? If it's evasion of damage, then what is the dexterity portion of AC, and what's a reflex save? For some reason, there seems to be no way to pin this down, and the answer keeps changing depending on the situation presented, and when the contradictions of that answer are brought up, it changes. Again.
    You know how there are prediction equations that combine an array of independent variables to put forth an estimate or prediction of the dependent variable? Like say, disease mortality or morbidity. Some of the IVs might be socioeconomic status, race, age, region...would you ask how each of those contribute to risk of exposure versus gestation versus infection versus immune response efficacy, and if the answer were not a one-to-one match up would you dismiss the whole of the equation?

Or would you accept that each of the IVs could be tied to each of those elements that play into disease morbidity?

HP, AC and Saves could be said to model character survivability. That does not require each element of the model to be tied in a one-to-one fashion to avoiding contact, reducing damage, absorbing damage or resisting effects, or any other such elements.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    You know how there are prediction equations that combine an array of independent variables to put forth an estimate or prediction of the dependent variable? Like say, disease mortality or morbidity. Some of the IVs might be socioeconomic status, race, age, region...would you ask how each of those contribute to risk of exposure versus gestation versus infection versus immune response efficacy, and if the answer were not a one-to-one match up would you dismiss the whole of the equation?

Or would you accept that each of the IVs could be tied to each of those elements that play into disease morbidity?

HP, AC and Saves could be said to model character survivability. That does not require each element of the model to be tied in a one-to-one fashion to avoiding contact, reducing damage, absorbing damage or resisting effects, or any other such elements.

- M
    I'm not trying to model the disease risk and progression through a population -- I'm looking for functional, enjoyable game mechanics that map well enough to the setting and atmosphere of plausible game worlds to provide sufficient verisimilitude and yet not dominate the gaming session. When something new comes up, the (or a good) answer on how to handle it should derive naturally from the rules.

Rules that are muddled and overlapping and require reference to specifics on a case-by-case-by-case basis every time something comes up, don't do that at all, at least not for me.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

- M
    I'm not either trying to model the disease risk and progression through a population, I'm mostly just arguing for the arguments sake.

But if my high level fighter is on a nudist beach and gets shot in the back by three crossbows without noticing them. He must have stumbled on a clam and only got grazed? Or was he so well hung and the assailants were females and lost their concentration? Or did they hit him in the ass because they were staring at it?

My high level fighter doesn't do ice baths...he does lava baths, he trust that luck will save him. Remember kids, it's good for the immune system.

When that wizard used vampiric touch on my fighter he wasn't draining my life force...he was draining my mojo!

My fighter can gulp down deadly poisons with the best of them because....of hmmm....skill in resisting poisons. In fact my fighter doesn't like that aspect of his bloated HP pool because technically alcohol is poison so he needs to drink barrels of it to get drunk.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

I'm looking for functional, enjoyable game mechanics that map well enough to the setting and atmosphere of plausible game worlds to provide sufficient verisimilitude and yet not dominate the gaming session. When something new comes up, the (or a good) answer on how to handle it should derive naturally from the rules.

Rules that are muddled and overlapping and require reference to specifics on a case-by-case-by-case basis every time something comes up, don't do that at all, at least not for me.
    Yeah 1970's D&D was a hodgepodge of "good enough rules now are better than a perfect rules later", that were put together on the fly. It's a mess, but I loved it because it had some great advantages:

1) It was fun.
    2) I found other people who played it.
    3) I memorized the rules back when I had a young and agile mind.

I still remember a lot of it (which I often remember instead of the game I'm actually trying to play).

Fortunately when I need to GM settings that D&D is inappropriate for I have an alternate truly multi-setting RPG rules system I made up in the 1980's based on a careful reading of the 1975 Greyhawk supplement for D&D, the 1978 Runequest rules, and the 1981 Call of Cthullu rules, which I now name "Gut check the RPG", and I will share with you:

1) GM describes a scene.
    2) Player says an action that their PC attempts.
    3) GM decides if the PC has no chance of success, no chance of failure, or a partial chance of success.
    4) If a partial chance of success, GM makes up on the spot a percentage chance of success.
    5) Player rolls D100 (two 0-9 twenty-siders back then).
    6) If the player rolls under the made up number their PC succeeds in attempting the task, if over the PC fails.
    7) GM narrates the immediate consequences until it's time to again ask, "what do you do".
    8) Repeat.

It seemed to work.

Honestly, these days trying to learn rules other than character creation is a chore for me, and I mostly read RPG's for setting "fluff".
    I may already own a RPG with a brilliant rules system that I would love, but I am unlikely to ever find out.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not trying to model the disease risk and progression through a population -- I'm looking for functional, enjoyable game mechanics that map well enough to the setting and atmosphere of plausible game worlds to provide sufficient verisimilitude and yet not dominate the gaming session. When something new comes up, the (or a good) answer on how to handle it should derive naturally from the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    I'm not either trying to model the disease risk and progression through a population, I'm mostly just arguing for the arguments sake.

But if my high level fighter is on a nudist beach and gets shot in the back by three crossbows without noticing them. He must have stumbled on a clam and only got grazed? Or was he so well hung and the assailants were females and lost their concentration? Or did they hit him in the ass because they were staring at it?

My high level fighter doesn't do ice baths...he does lava baths, he trust that luck will save him. Remember kids, it's good for the immune system.

When that wizard used vampiric touch on my fighter he wasn't draining my life force...he was draining my mojo!

My fighter can gulp down deadly poisons with the best of them because....of hmmm....skill in resisting poisons. In fact my fighter doesn't like that aspect of his bloated HP pool because technically alcohol is poison so he needs to drink barrels of it to get drunk.
    The disease model was used as example to show that a model can be multivariate without having one-to-one ties to a given element of the DV and valuable without being perfect, that's all.

I appreciate both your answers and of course I recognize that at the extreme ends (and sometimes not so extreme ends) the model fails. Sure, survivability can include some hero-luck (if that's really what you choose/want to call it)...and if draining life force isn't draining mojo I'm not sure what it is...but there really isn't an answer for the more ridiculous examples like the lava bath or the 200' falls, other than saying the characters that can indeed survive those without magic are extremely few and far between.

Now the poisons...well, Wesley managed to build resistance to poison by taking a few levels of Dread Pirate...so I'm thinking our Knight of the Realm might well have developed a similarly hardy constitution

- M

6. - Top - End - #846
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    My HP defense: It works more often than it doesn't, it's quick, and generally makes for fun gameplay.

I'm not going to claim it is 100% consistent with anything. It's not.
    That works fine. The problem comes when people try to rationalize HP as an actual Thing That Exists in the game world. Then it ends up in this thread...

(And I think the fact that the HP Plot Armor can't be used to defend against save-or-cry spells is one of the many things that screws over the peasantry when compared to their spellcasting overlords.)
    Last edited by Arbane; 2016-09-23 at 01:57 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    That works fine. The problem comes when people try to rationalize HP as an actual Thing That Exists in the game world. Then it ends up in this thread...

(And I think the fact that the HP Plot Armor can't be used to defend against save-or-cry spells is one of the many things that screws over the peasantry when compared to their spellcasting overlords.)
    Hm. I wonder what kind of effect it could have on, say, Fighters, if they had an ability that let them "spend" HP to avoid/end debilitating conditions like paralysis, blinding, or even death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

The disease model was used as example to show that a model can be multivariate without having one-to-one ties to a given element of the DV and valuable without being perfect, that's all.
    A multivariate model can also break down all the time and produce bizarre results it shouldn't, which could be easily avoided by making a simpler model that uses better variables.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    A multivariate model can also break down all the time and produce bizarre results it shouldn't, which could be easily avoided by making a simpler model that uses better variables.
    "Do not multiply entities unnecessarily"

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Correction to my post: I shouldn't have said multivariate...that was incorrect. And I know better. I should have said that the model could have multiple IVs.

Response here: Assuming the model displays significance, multiple IVs provided a better picture in the majority of cases than a single IV model. Your comment seems to say don't use multiple variables because that equation breaks down, so avoid that by using a simple (simpler = fewer IVs?) model with better variableS. So don't use multiple variables, instead use fewer multiple variables?

Of course you need proper variables/inputs...so are you suggesting that AC, HP and Saves aren't the proper variables, or saying that there should just be a single element that is used to "model" the ability to survive? What is your preferred system for handling the mix of things that can hurt/deleteriously impact a character?

I think there is kind of neat idea there...and I'm sure someone has come up with it somewhere else...but combining the defensive things into a single value/resource (call it Life Score) that represents damage absorption, damage mitigation, damage avoidance, disadvantageous status resistance and so forth and giving the player greater control on the use of that resource ("I'll use 7 Life Score to not become blinded by the flash grenade!") presents an interesting idea.

- M

11. - Top - End - #851
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think you mean the sins of Reality.

Cracked: 6 Soldiers Who Survived $#!% That Would Kill a Terminator

Cracked again: 5 Insane Falls You Won't Believe People Survived

Oh, another fun thing: With D&D hitpoints, but without magic, feats, or other special stuff, it's impossible to have someone stagger up to you wounded, gasp out a few words, and die.
    This actually suggests a tweak to me that could restore realism. What if for every so many hp lost you had to save or hurt a body part and take a penalty. These guys all got their arms and legs and eyes messed up.

EDIT:
    See DMG pg 27, "DAMAGE TO SPECIFIC AREAS" for what kind of penalties these would impart
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-09-24 at 12:50 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #852
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Hm. I wonder what kind of effect it could have on, say, Fighters, if they had an ability that let them "spend" HP to avoid/end debilitating conditions like paralysis, blinding, or even death?
    You mean like the Shrug Off ability I give most of my mundanes?

13. - Top - End - #853

I'm looking for functional, enjoyable game mechanics that map well enough to the setting and atmosphere of plausible game worlds to provide sufficient verisimilitude and yet not dominate the gaming session. When something new comes up, the (or a good) answer on how to handle it should derive naturally from the rules.

Ah, so you're looking for ease of mapping. "Readability" is one of my highest benchmarks for code, so I approve.

Yes, D&D doesn't get top ratings in this regard. Making you faster... improves what? Making you luckier... improves what?

But

Would you really enjoy a system that correctly modeled my padded weapon example, complete with physical and mental stamina, speed, reach, skill, specific maneuvers known, ability to read body language, ability to translate that to maneuvers known, etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    AFAIK, that's not HP that keep the fighter from getting drunk.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Ah, so you're looking for ease of mapping. "Readability" is one of my highest benchmarks for code, so I approve.

Yes, D&D doesn't get top ratings in this regard. Making you faster... improves what? Making you luckier... improves what?
    Exactly. Exactly.

(E: the "map" terminology, for me, comes from my statement that the game system is the map, the setting and characters and atmosphere even story are the actual territory. )

But

Would you really enjoy a system that correctly modeled my padded weapon example, complete with physical and mental stamina, speed, reach, skill, specific maneuvers known, ability to read body language, ability to translate that to maneuvers known, etc etc?
    There's a limit to what's practical, and actual gameplay to take into consideration.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2016-09-23 at 09:44 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

15. - Top - End - #855

SamuraiGuy

Or high Constitution makes you luckier?

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

I'm curious - earlier, during the beginning of the HP disagreement, I mentioned how I think of HP. Do you think that doesn't work, and if so where does it break down? At this point I'm fairly certain it works as far as the system is concerned (although some of it is odd when you get to stuff like drowning tanking your HP near-instantly).

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    I sometimes think of it as a mix between ability to shrug off or otherwise deal with injuries [Edit: And sheer physical toughness]. If you have 100 HP, you can be covered in massive burns and keep fighting, but when you hit 1 HP you're at your limit, so anything more that hits you causes all the damage you've taken to stop being able to function normally. It could be that a high-level fighter at 1 HP isn't a guy covered in cuts and bruises, but rather someone who barely seems alive to the untrained viewer - massive wounds covering his body, broken bones protruding from arms that are somehow still being used as if they were undamaged.

Yes, this does break with the idea of "HP isn't purely physical injury" completely, but it is a way of seeing the HP model as something other than "just HP". After enough of a beating has been applied, the character's willpower gives out and they fall, still holding on to life but in a horribly mangled state (and therefore requiring a lot more healing magic than Mr. Knocked Out By His Cat).
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

It's not perfect, but it does pretty well iff you go with "HP = Health". Making you faster improves movement rate (and gives one more attack per round). Making you luckier gives a small luck bonus to your d20 rolls.

If you go with "HP = Plot Armor" then yes, it becomes a silly mess. That's why it's so funny that some people insist that this must be the only explanation.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    It's not perfect, but it does pretty well iff you go with "HP = Health". Making you faster improves movement rate (and gives one more attack per round). Making you luckier gives a small luck bonus to your d20 rolls.

If you go with "HP = Plot Armor" then yes, it becomes a silly mess. That's why it's so funny that some people insist that this must be the only explanation.
    If HP = just Health, you get a different set of issues, such as "How does the exact identical wound that would have reduced the character to a bleeding, dying mess at level one, now barely affect the character at all at level ten?"
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2016-09-24 at 07:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If HP = just Health, you get a different set of issues, such as "How does the exact identical wound that would have reduced the character to a bleeding, dying mess at level one, now barely affect the character at all?"
    Take a few extra seconds and render damage as a fraction. The monsters' Damage Roll is 8, that translates to 66% of your first-level Con 14 Fighter's health. A monster's damage roll of 8 at level 20 is slightly more than 5% of their health.

Sure, it adds a useless math step as part of the 'describing damage' step to combat resolution, but if realism is valuable, a little bit more math won't hurt. Entire games, like GURPS, are built around having rolls/stats for every 'realistic' aspect even if it slows down actual gameplay. And it gives us an excuse to write another table, in classic Gygaxian style, with specific descriptions being tied to certain percentages of health loss.

Why isn't this in the rules already? Because the modern designers have lost the Gygaxian spirit. They don't even make you roll on the Random Harlot table anymore.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-09-24 at 07:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Take a few extra seconds and render damage as a fraction. The monsters' Damage Roll is 8, that translates to 66% of your first-level Con 14 Fighter's health. A monster's damage roll of 8 at level 20 is slightly more than 5% of their health.

Sure, it adds a useless math step as part of the 'describing damage' step to combat resolution, but if realism is valuable, a little bit more math won't hurt. Entire games, like GURPS, are built around having rolls/stats for every 'realistic' aspect even if it slows down actual gameplay. And it gives us an excuse to write another table, in classic Gygaxian style, with specific descriptions being tied to certain percentages of health loss.

Why isn't this in the rules already? Because the modern designers have lost the Gygaxian spirit. They don't even make you roll on the Random Harlot table anymore.

That doesn't change anything at all.

The attacker made made their roll by the same margin, and the damage roll was the same. Therefore, the wound was the same.

The same wound somehow did a different "fraction of health" to the same character because... of what?

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

The attacker made made their roll by the same margin, and the damage roll was the same. Therefore, the wound was the same.
    No, that does not follow. That's just your assumption.

And it's an assumption that leads to all kinds of ridiculous outcomes, which is why I suggest making a different assumption.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

22. - Top - End - #862

RogueGuy

If HP = just Health, you get a different set of issues, such as "How does the exact identical wound that would have reduced the character to a bleeding, dying mess at level one, now barely affect the character at all at level ten?"
    Cause he is just that heroic.

I'm reminded of the film Last Action Hero, where Arnie plays a film character brought to reality. He survives a kill shot by being taken back into the film, where the doctor looks at the injury and says something like "Are you joking, I wouldn't even call this a flesh wound".
    I play dwarf mode: Play to win, never be sober, and always die horribly despite everyone's best efforts (DM included).

I have a blog now! I make no claims to be that fool on that hill, but I do like to think I think the same way. Check it out for some of my more nutty thoughts.

23. - Top - End - #863

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    I sometimes think of it as a mix between ability to shrug off or otherwise deal with injuries. If you have 100 HP, you can be covered in massive burns and keep fighting, but when you hit 1 HP you're at your limit, so anything more that hits you causes all the damage you've taken to stop being able to function normally. It could be that a high-level fighter at 1 HP isn't a guy covered in cuts and bruises, but rather someone who barely seems alive to the untrained viewer - massive wounds covering his body, broken bones protruding from arms that are somehow still being used as if they were undamaged.

Yes, this does break with the idea of "HP isn't purely physical injury" completely, but it is a way of seeing the HP model as something other than "just HP". After enough of a beating has been applied, the character's willpower gives out and they fall, still holding on to life but in a horribly mangled state (and therefore requiring a lot more healing magic than Mr. Knocked Out By His Cat).
    That sounds like a good explanation.

It does come off a little bit like the Black Knight though. "That's just a flesh wound"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

No, that does not follow. That's just your assumption.

And it's an assumption that leads to all kinds of ridiculous outcomes, which is why I suggest making a different assumption.

Zero assumptions.

All variances other than the target character's HP have been accounted for.

Ridiculous outcomes occur if two mechanically identical hits do not represent equivalent wounds.

There's just no way to have ever-increasing hit points without something breaking.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2016-09-24 at 09:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I've been outta the loop, so maybe I missed this earlier, but how does this explain the immersion-in-lava rule and tough-guys-are-harder-to-heal effect?

Guys, why do we have to make this complicated? What exactly is wrong with level-20 adventurers being the Justice League in wands and chainmail?

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Guys, why do we have to make this complicated? What exactly is wrong with level-20 adventurers being the Justice League in wands and chainmail?
    Nothing. Except that some people insist they can be killed by a single blow, but they never take blows ever because they're just that good (except when the blow is on fire or poisoned or a large number of other exceptions...)

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing. Except that some people insist they can be killed by a single blow, but they never take blows ever because they're just that good (except when the blow is on fire or poisoned or a large number of other exceptions...)
    Exactly. Medieval superheroes who genuinely do take ridiculous wounds and basically ignore them are modeled comparatively well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly. Medieval superheroes who genuinely do take ridiculous wounds and basically ignore them are modeled comparatively well.

Which would be fine, if the game and its proponents were frank and honest about what the system does well.

Instead, it's too often been "Running a fantasy game of any kind? Use D&D/d20!"

29. - Top - End - #869
    Dwarf in the Playground

Guys please stop crapping up the thread. This thread isn't about pushing your views on whether or not D&D accurately models reality well. If you want a more accurate system just play GURPS or something.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Max_Killjoy,
    I tried pointing out some way back (as have others) that just because rules are ridiculous they are not necessarily bad. Also that D&D is liked by enough people that while it may be "bad" for you it is not "objectively bad".
    You could have accepted this and ignored all the other people that carried on arguing a point that in general is a matter of opinion and not subject to argument.

You didn't stop though - you came out with this:
    Zero assumptions.

All variances other than the target character's HP have been accounted for.

Ridiculous outcomes occur if two mechanically identical hits do not represent equivalent wounds.

There's just no way to have ever-increasing hit points without something breaking.
    You have now stated that if the rolled result is the same the would must be the same.
    Oh dear.
    This means that for D&D, a dagger can only cause 4 possible non-critical wounds when wielded by an averag person.
    At first glance that seems to suggest your assertion that D&D is "objectively bad" (and not just ridiculous).

Perhaps, but every single other role-playing game that uses a dice roll to determine weapon damage has the same problem - there has to be a discrete number of possible outcome rolls. This number of outcomes is far far smaller than the number of possible different results from attacking someone with a knife, ignoring fatal strikes (the criticals).
    (I suspect all RPGs that use dice, and most of the ones that don't suffer from the same problem, but I don't know enough about them all to be sure.)

By your critera every role-playing game is bad. Fine - please get out of the RPG sub-forums of this site because clearly you think them all "objectively bad".

If you don't think this stop trying to argue that something that is demonstrably subjectively bad is objectively bad. It isn't objectively bad because far too many people like playing it for that to be the case. It is subjectively bad because it has major problems for lots of people.
    You have now demonstrated that your arguments are specious because you simply don't want to accept that your opinion is just your opinion and other people can disagree with you.
    Note: the people who expect to be able to convince you that it is a good system are equally in the wrong, but most of them have shut up and most of the posts are now people just trying to show that it is not "objectively" bad.

Yes, I know in the quoted post you did not use the term "bad" you referred to ridiculousness, but no-one has queried that for ages, they have been trying to counter your "objectively bad" assertion, therefore your post has to be in support of that part of your position. If not, I apologise for misunderstanding you, but you could have clearly stated that you no longer stand by "objectively bad".

PS - thank-you for leading me to another ridiculous aspect of D&D - that there are only 4 different results from a knife stab.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2016-09-24 at 01:58 PM.