New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Still moving quickly, Lan pointed to his ear and shrugged his shoulder at Zarina's question. Moving to the side of the room, he took out a small rock and moved back to listen to it again, the spell of silence hampering communication. "Looked like a shrine. Gold statue with lots of blue stones, lit up by a gem from the ceiling. Betting that statue is trapped ... and isn't there some lightning ball that grabs people?"

Looking around, Lan checked for any items left by the golems or the wraith, then grabbed the rock and slipped forward into the room again, eyes scanning the walls and the statue for signs of a trap.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Listen - (1d20+18)[23], Spot - (1d20+18)[35], Search - (1d20+18)[20]
    Move Silently - (1d20+18)[22], Hide - (1d20+18)[25]
    Disable device - (1d20+18)[31]
    Status
    HPs: 75/78; AC: 20; FF - 15
    F +10 R +13 W +7
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +16 (+18 Listen/Spot w/spell) Move Silently +18 Hide +18 Tumble +17
    Spells: entangle, <s>embrace the wild</s>, hunter's mercy
    Javelins (+16, 1d4+2 / +17, 1d4+3 w/in 30')
    Trident (+16, 1d6+2 / +17, 1d6+3 w/in 30')
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 0/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker
    Effects: embrace the wild (+2 Listen/Spot, gain low light vision, gain blindsense 30'; 40 min), Silence (20' radius, 11min); travel devotion (8 rounds)

OOC - is Tal with us? If so, Lan would answer via mindlink ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Everyone stay sharp. Allustan can't be far," I advise as I take the lead of the main group behind Lan.
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2017-12-29 at 04:18 PM.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Merrick follows after Mirriana, casting Protection from Arrows on her as she enters the new room.

Spoiler: Effect & Duration
    Show
    Damage reduction 10/magic against ranged weapons
    10 hours or 100 points damage, whichever comes first.

"May all your wounds be avoided."
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

"Spell Resistance", I cast.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Elkist follows, moving her oversized arms and legs with a sense of wonder. One can never get too used to that spell effect.

She responds to Zarina "Sometimes the spirits don't know their place. Confused or stubborn, they cause...problems."

Healing a few minor cuts she scans ahead for any danger.

Spoiler: spell effects
    Show
    Lay on hands 17hp
    Detect evil
    Detect spirits

Elkist Talphrin
    Female LG Half-Drow Paladin 4/ Spirit Shaman 7, Level 11, Init 5, HP 79/79, Speed 30ft
    AC 22, Touch 10, Flat-footed 22, Fort 15, Ref 11, Will 14, Base Attack Bonus 9
    Ghost touch +1 Holy Surge Greatsword +12/ +7 (2d6+4, 19-20 x2)
    Ghost touch +1 Full plate armour of Agility, Ghost touch +1 Animated heavy steel shield (+9 Armor, +3 Shield)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 24
    Condition
    Pal: Aura of good
    Pal: Aura of courage (immune fear, allies +4 morale bonus vs fear)
    Pal: Divine health (immunity to disease)
    SS: Blessing of the spirits (protection from spirits: +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    SS: Ghost warrior (ghost touch weapons & armour)
    SS: Warding of the spirits (magic circle vs spirits:10ft radius +2 defl AC, +2 resist Saves)
    1/2E: Immunity to sleep
    1/2E: +2 save vs enchantment
    1/2E: low light vision
    Armour crystal: +3 competence save vs energy drain, death spells/ effects, inflict spells)
    Cloak: +2 enhancement to Cha
    Primal instinct (spell): +5 competence initiative & survival
    Longstrider (spell): +10ft enhancement speed
    Armbands: +2 Str checks & skills, +2 damage on Power attack)
    Shield Other (spell): Mirriana
    Righteous Aura (spell): +4 sacred Cha, daylight
    Heart of Earth (spell): +8 resist bull rush, overrun, trip; +14 temp hp
    Heart of Air (spell): +10 enhance Jump
    Heart of X (spell): light fortification (25% resist critical hits & sneak attacks)
    Cloak of Bravery (spell): +10 to saves vs fear for 110mins
    Magic Circle vs Evil (spell): +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves for 110mins vs evil within 10ft of Mirriana for 110 mins
    Scroll of Eagle's Splendor, 2 minutes duration +4 Enhancement to CHA (not included in stats)
    Enlarge Person (spell ~2 rounds left): Large. +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity, -1 size penalty on attack rolls and AC
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2017-12-30 at 03:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

Leaving the massive vaulted chamber and ignoring the small door that the wraith floated through they head after Lan through the double doors by where the relief golems had activated. The small shrine beyond is much as Lan described. The door opening halfway down the western wall of a sombre chamber that from the dim lights and the decorations must be a shrine of some sports. Opposite the door is a small statue of an armoured wind duke, left hand resting on his sword right held up to shield his eyes. The statue appears to be made of gold with shimmering sapphires that glitter in the beam of prismatic light focused down from a gem embedded into the ceiling. The walls are carved with bas reliefs of wind duke servants bowing and soldiers saluting. An elaborate carpet covers the floor but its badly worn and faded from millenia and the criss crossing of ancient guardians. Following the light footed halfling the party look about but Lan shakes his head sugesting that there are no traps here.

The door to the right is ajar slightly, a hint of blood on the door handle that Lan suspects may be Allustan's. The wizard must have been exhausted to run or hide past all the monsters that led to this chamber. The chamber beyond is bizzare and arcane in the extreme, Lan's hair on his head and arms extending and lifting from the static electricity. The room beyond is as Lan peers through the crack in the doors is filled with bluish light and a breeze that smells like thunder storms. The floor slopes down towards the centre of the room some 30ft away and 20ft down from all directions like a funnel and at the heart of it is a 20ft diameter crackling globe of lightning. A massive metallic spike protrudes down from the ceiling above the globe, just touching the edge of the lightning globe. In the heart of the crackling lightning sphere Lan can just make out a body, a humanoid shape in a red robe with a long dark beard floating in some sort of stasis within the crackling energy.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Peering in at the room, Lan’s eyes flashed as he saw the body in the globe of electricity. Glancing back, he thought to the others, I found a body, likely the wizard. Stuck in a globe in a room that looks like a big trap.

Anyone check where the wraith came from? Might be something to disable the room there ...

Lan looked around for a way to free the mage. As he considered, he pulled out a rope, thinking they might be able to hook the body and drag it out.

Show
    Any levers or switches? Can we reach him easily enough with 50’ of rope?
    Status
    F +10 R +13 W +7
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +16 (+18 Listen/Spot w/spell) Move Silently +18 Hide +18 Tumble +17
    Effects: embrace the wild (+2 Listen/Spot, gain low light vision, gain blindsense 30'; 40 min), Silence (20' radius, 11min)

8. - Top - End - #878

Merrick

"Acererak guards me from shocks or cold. Can you dispel this globe, Mirriana?"

Merrick ponders the electrical device, looking for obvious signs of how to control it.

Spoiler: K:A, spellcraft?
    Show

(1d20+15)[33] ka
    (1d20+14)[21] sc
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"Curiousity can so often lead to recklessness. The wizard must have been badly injured and harried to fall victim to such a trap. Still we should be wary lest the trap was designed to lure those who thought that they knew better."

As her great form reduces back down to a normal size Elkist acts on Lan's suggestion and checks through the archway that the wraith emerged from.

Spoiler: checks
    Show
    Detect evil & detect spirits before entering the wraith room, since I'm scouting alone...wait for the screams!

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

Navarra

The two spiders followed the rest of the team, one of them speaking up in a female voice. "Does that wand of healing hold more charges? I sustained some damage from that construct and would like to be as fit as possible, should we encounter even further threats when we try to disable this device."

11. - Top - End - #881

Merrick

Outside of the silenced stone's range, Merrick tell the group what manner of contraption the electric trap is.

"If another creature were to trigger the trap, it might release Allustan."

Or summon more guardians, given our luck.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Navarra

The spider scissored it's fangs as the mage described the trap. "A called creature, I can provide, if it frees my old friend."

She summoned forth the twisted form of a massive rat, it's body completely constructed of gnarled thorns and decaying plant matter. It made no noise as she directed it into the room with the lightning orb.

Show

Spontaneously cast SNA I (replacing Wood Wose)

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Will your creature mind being trapped in stasis for eternity?" I ask. "I was just going to have Lan destroy the spike there."

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ogre in the Playground

Navarra

"I am not concerned about a plant's feelings. If you're inclined to break such a device, I recommend we switch it's occupant beforehand, in case it explodes or creates other similarly destructive events."

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Those seem like good points, so I nod and stand aside.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

As the rat-like plant scurries forward the orb shimmers and with a blast of lightning a bolt of power shoots out striking the rat. With a crackling sizzling sound the rat is sucked up the shaft of the lightning bolt and seconds later the body Allustan drops out from the side of the globe with a dull thump. The body of the rat lies in the centre of the shimmering orb as Allustan's lies unconcious, Mirriana and Navarra can see the wounds on his body, his clothes and flesh torn and shredded as he starts leaking blood now he is from stasis. Zarina lets out a squeak and scurries forward, grabbing Allustan by the shoulders and dragging him back towards the shrine room as the metallic spike seems depleted of energy and judging from the sounds and light may take an hour or so to recharge. She looks up at Mirriana, "He's bleeding heavily Mir. Can you heal him?"

Back in the large vaulted room Elkist heads towards the door where the wraith came from and slowly opens the door. A rush of dust greets her as the door opens and she cans ee into the small chamber behind. An ancient suit of armour hangs from an ornate stand with a thin and beautiful looking sword on a gilt rest in front of it. A withered skeleton in shreds of silks lies on the floor curled around a metallic box that lies open, the contents stolen! A thin metal wafer with ancient Vaati rune lies beside the body. The armour is unusual, the metal an exotic Astral Drift metal. The blade is covered in runes and seems to dance in the hand.

Spoiler: Vaati runes, Zarina can read
    Show

"I Zifforian, the last of my line have stood vigilant over the Seal of Law for 2 millenia. My watch is now done. I have tried my best but have filed you my Master Icosiol"

Spoiler: Arms and Armour
    Show

Armour: Nimble Astral Drift metal Banded Mail +2
    Sword: Solarian Truesteel Auran Longsword +2

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Seeing the wizard was back and awaiting healing, Lan moved to check on the paladin, peering through the door. While silent as he approached, he thought to her, Looks like we freed the mage. Might have a few moments to get through the trap. What did you find?

The halfling wandered around the room, looking carefully for any items or areas of interest.
    Show
    Spot - (1d20+18)[21], Search - (1d20+18)[32], Listen - (1d20+18)[20]
    Status
    F +10 R +13 W +7
    Effects: embrace the wild (+2 Listen/Spot, gain low light vision, gain blindsense 30'; 40 min), Silence (20' radius, 11min)

18. - Top - End - #888

Merrick

Merrick channels healing from his Healing Belt into the fallen wizard.

Spoiler: Save a spell, who knows how long we'll be in here
    Show
    (2d8)[9]

"Good day, Master Allustan. It is nice to finally meet you. I'm Merrick O'Fey. I presume you've met everyone else."

Merrick helps the mage to his feet.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2018-01-04 at 07:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"The Vaati was tasked to guard something, but it has been stolen. The transgression bound the poor soul to haunt this place."

Elkist mentions the arms, armour and the rune-inscribed wafer. As Zarina deciphers the runes she ponders what she knows of the scribings.

Spoiler: Seal of Law?
    Show
    Knowledge (history?) (1d20+1)[9] +4 if religion

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

In the quiet Temple room Allustan slowly comes round as the blood from a serrated wound from possibly a golem's stone sword can be seen to knit shut. He looks terrified as he see's the spiders before calming at seeing Mirriana and Lan. "Landhal, Miss Conlon, how did you find me? The tomb is dangerous in the extreme, and there was a Dragon that attacked me. I barely escaped with my life. I was fleeing the creatures in here when I was hit by lightning! "
    He looks ragged, still critically injured and tired.

Exploring Lan crosses the globe room and peers through the door. It's a steep flight of stairs dripping some 30ft to forked corridor, each branch tiled with elaborate red swirled tiles and a faint metallic smell of blood.

Back in the Wraiths chamber Zarina looks at Elkist from where she studies the runes. " I believe this missing Seal is a key of some sort. Icosiol the Wind Duke on the walls everywhere was clearly important, and the Seal of Law may be a key to his tomb. It looks like there is an artifact of power hidden in there. His deals with an inevitable speak of a level of power. Not to mention these powerful items." She gestures at the armour and finely wrought blade.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan nodded to the wizard, giving him a short pat on the leg. Leaving the rock to the side, he murmured, ”Mirriana can tell you all about it, but we need to get out of here.”. He moved to help search the remaining areas for any hidden caches before they departed. Perhaps he could find the spear the wraith was using ...
    Show
    I figure Mir will relay everything
    Status
    F +10 R +13 W +7
    Effects: embrace the wild (+2 Listen/Spot, gain low light vision, gain blindsense 30'; 38 min), Silence (20' radius, 9min)

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    In the quiet Temple room Allustan slowly comes round as the blood from a serrated wound from possibly a golem's stone sword can be seen to knit shut. He looks terrified as he see's the spiders before calming at seeing Mirriana and Lan. "Landhal, Miss Conlon, how did you find me? The tomb is dangerous in the extreme, and there was a Dragon that attacked me. I barely escaped with my life. I was fleeing the creatures in here when I was hit by lightning! "
    He looks ragged, still critically injured and tired.

Exploring Lan crosses the globe room and peers through the door. It's a steep flight of stairs dripping some 30ft to forked corridor, each branch tiled with elaborate red swirled tiles and a faint metallic smell of blood.

Back in the Wraiths chamber Zarina looks at Elkist from where she studies the runes. " I believe this missing Seal is a key of some sort. Icosiol the Wind Duke on the walls everywhere was clearly important, and the Seal of Law may be a key to his tomb. It looks like there is an artifact of power hidden in there. His deals with an inevitable speak of a level of power. Not to mention these powerful items." She gestures at the armour and finely wrought blade.
    Mirriana

"Do not be apprehensive, Allustan. You were caught in a stasis trap, but you're all right now. Ilthane is dead. She attacked Diamond Lake again when she could not find you, but you'd bought enough time for us to return and she underestimated us. We came straight here afterwards."

I pull out my wand of Lesser Vigor and begin running it over my mentor's wounds.

"Though... not without losses. The cultists have attached Goattracker's tribe, and he is summoned home by Kavaki to help them. And Taliesn was cursed by one of the tomb's defences beyond my ability to cure. He has also returned to the care of his tribe. I'm afraid I'm all that's left of the band who first ventured into this place..."

This is a melancholy thought and I try to skip past it as quickly as possible.

"But we have found new allies along the way! This is Merrick, skilled with magic, and Elkist, Zarina and Navarra whim I think you know?"

"We are glad to have found you safe. Ish," I add with a grimace. "We have need of your wisdom. I presume you have heard about Raknian's plot at the games and how he escaped? And of Eligos and Celeste? Well now we are hearing rumours that a Dracolich called Dragotha is involved..."

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hello, old friend. Now that we've found you, is there any reason to continue further into this tomb?" The talking spider seemed content with simply turning around and leaving the rest unexplored.
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2018-01-11 at 07:43 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

As Mirriana picks up the blade she feels the diadem almost pulse in a sympathetic connection and then is able to meet the others and help roue Allustan. Allustan looks shaky as Mirriana helps him to his feet, his wounds healing. Looking dazed he nods. "Navarra, you have grown since we last met. Elkist, Zarina, Its good to see you both." He takes Mirriana's hand and offers Lan a polite nod. "Its unfortunate about the goliath and Tal. They were good companions, although I see Master Landhal is still with you."

Taking a seat and a sip of water from a skin handed to him by Zarina he looks up. "I am amazed you could defeat such a wyrm. You must have truly grown in power since last I saw you. I heard that you triumphed at the Arena games. Did the beast do much damage to Diamond Lake before you slew it? It had a particular hatred for yourselves and me. It was the mother of the eggs that we destroyed in the swamps."

Resting for moment he shakes his head. "Dragotha. That is a name from legend. Truly its a beast of such power that if he ever returned the entire of Flanaes would be in danger.
    I have some notes on the creature but likley in the wreckage of my home."
    He looks at the glorious tomb all around them. "You have done well to survive this place.
    Its an amazing place. The Cairn near us is only the entrance for this the true tomb. "
    His eyes burn with excitement, "Mirriana, you have to find the way down to the Tomb of Stars. There is a true artifact of the Vaata and the Lords of Law in this place. And if Dragotha has been released its something you will need!"

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    As Mirriana picks up the blade she feels the diadem almost pulse in a sympathetic connection and then is able to meet the others and help roue Allustan. Allustan looks shaky as Mirriana helps him to his feet, his wounds healing. Looking dazed he nods. "Navarra, you have grown since we last met. Elkist, Zarina, Its good to see you both." He takes Mirriana's hand and offers Lan a polite nod. "Its unfortunate about the goliath and Tal. They were good companions, although I see Master Landhal is still with you."

Taking a seat and a sip of water from a skin handed to him by Zarina he looks up. "I am amazed you could defeat such a wyrm. You must have truly grown in power since last I saw you. I heard that you triumphed at the Arena games. Did the beast do much damage to Diamond Lake before you slew it? It had a particular hatred for yourselves and me. It was the mother of the eggs that we destroyed in the swamps."

Resting for moment he shakes his head. "Dragotha. That is a name from legend. Truly its a beast of such power that if he ever returned the entire of Flanaes would be in danger.
    I have some notes on the creature but likley in the wreckage of my home."
    He looks at the glorious tomb all around them. "You have done well to survive this place.
    Its an amazing place. The Cairn near us is only the entrance for this the true tomb. "
    His eyes burn with excitement, "Mirriana, you have to find the way down to the Tomb of Stars. There is a true artifact of the Vaata and the Lords of Law in this place. And if Dragotha has been released its something you will need!"
    "They will be much missed," I say sadly. "Allustan, before we deal with any other matter I must tell you - your brother Lanod is dead. The mining council thought that by offering him as a sacrifice to the dragon they might appease her. Allustan I'm sorry. Ilthane's wrath was not so easily abjured against, and she left nothing of either of our homes standing."

I give Allustan a moment to process the news as I go back to my team, weighing my newly acquired longsword thoughtfully.

"Allustan says there's an artifact in here that we'll need if Dragotha is really returned. So I guess we're going deeper. Zarina, could you help me into this new armour?

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RCgothic View Post
    "They will be much missed," I say sadly. "Allustan, before we deal with any other matter I must tell you - your brother Lanod is dead. The mining council thought that by offering him as a sacrifice to the dragon they might appease her. Allustan I'm sorry. Ilthane's wrath was not so easily abjured against, and she left nothing of either of our homes standing."

I give Allustan a moment to process the news as I go back to my team, weighing my newly acquired longsword thoughtfully.

"Allustan says there's an artifact in here that we'll need if Dragotha is really returned. So I guess we're going deeper. Zarina, could you help me into this new armour?
    Allustan staggers as he hears the news. Paling and resting his head in his hands. " Poor Lanod, he wasn't the best if ys but he was my brother. I'm glad you have brought the dragon down. I will recover what u can from my ruins and see what I can recall of Dragotha - the former consort of Tiamat herself."

Shaking his head he joins Zarina by the runes. "Yes, you are right. The Seal stolen from here is a key to the final tomb of Icosiol, one of the Wind Dukes. You must have heard of the staff of dominion, the rod of seven parts that's what lies somewhere below."

As he speaks he blushes as Zarina helps Mirriana out of her plate an into the form fitting Vaati armour. Zarina pointing at the lightning room. "There is a door that way? Do we rest here, back in the village or continue on?"

27. - Top - End - #897

Merrick

"Allustan and Taliesn are worst for wear of us. They should try to catch up with Goattracker and try to return Diamond Lake. I could teleport the three of you. If we ward ourselves, the rest of us could camp the night in the Whispering Cairn before pressing onward," Merrick offers.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

One of the spiders morphs back to the feral-looking woman. "So, first you must find the key that was taken and then return to retrieve this artifact to destroy a lich-dragon..." Navarra seemed to consider her options for a moment. She had only ventured here to rescue her old friend, but the threat of this undead seemed much larger.

She seemed to have come to a decision. "I would accompany you on this task. Even as a Child of Winter, I am a druid first and foremost, and will not abide by the threat of undead within my realm... If you would have me."

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

At Navarra's words Zarina looks at the others before giving her own opinion. "I don't speak for anyone else but I would welcome you Navarra. We have lost two of our greatest allies in Goat and Tal in this strange tomb, Allustan has almost dies and he has spoken of an artifact dating back to the ancient elemental wars between Law and Chaos. We need all the help we can get."

Looking back to the others she glances back to the other rooms. "If we close the doors and set a watch we should be relatively safe here, I doubt many others would willingly follow into these chambers."

30. - Top - End - #900

Merrick

"Then we should set up a perimeter and lead Allustan and Tal to the portal safely."

Even weakened, Merrick was confident the shifter could contend with whatever lurked on the other side.