Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Merrick

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    (1d20+13)[19]

Merrick identifies the spells the Kyuss cleric cast at them as best be can recall.

"Master Eligos will likely recognize the spell names. This will give him an idea of the powers ammassed against us. Some sort of temporal binding protects the scrolls we seek. I fear whatever ritual he is planning may come to fruition soon."
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

After the brief exchange Ekyam senses the slightly downcast tone of the group and offers them his promise that he will head straight to the Temples and the College of Stars (Mage Guild) to acquire the magical trinkets that the group desire. He then takes his leave promising to return this evening when all 6 remaining teams have to go back into the arena for the "draw" for the second round. Although much fanfare and shouting its more of an excuse for the crowds to keep drinking late into the evening and whip up some excitement for the morning. For the teams its a convenient time to catch up with their managers again and collect anything they've ordered!

The afternoon passes quietly. Zarina reads her spellbook quietly and tries as best as possible to bandage up her wounds, mostly surface burns and blisters from the unholy rain and the prismatic mists. Aside from that she sits with Lan trying to help him as best she can. At one point she joins Merrick. "Master Merrick. You are clearly more experienced than I in matters arcane, I have dabbled in swords too much," she adds gesturing at the Goliath sized blade in the corner. "After we have prevented whatever is happening in the Shrine of Kyuss and are out of the arena I would be willing to trade spell books? Perhaps we could both learn more arcane matters from each other?"
    To Mirriana and Goat she is more concerned with the Kyuss "stuff". "Mistress Conlon, Kauvolia, what do you think the scroll is protecting? The beam of energy looked to be a shell, or field of some kind. And do you have any ideas about how we could best that monster Bozal? His magic was more far poweful than I have mastered?

Spoiler: Healing please?
    Show

She's on 19 out of 54!

The other 5 teams all keep themselves to themselves. Only the dragonborn and their massive hulking half-dragon Captain "Infernus" really speaking with you, and then only to compliment on Zarina on her red scales before the spell wears off. The dwarves and the necromancers stay in their chambers whilst the halflings and Auric and Khellek just keep themselves to themselves. At one point in the afternoon the halflings of "the Night Owl" heading to the Titan's Rest where you had ventured earlier to return a couple of hours talking animatedly after what must have been a good training session. Through all this you can hear the clatter of the game's lifts and talking of the guards as they discuss the minor beast fights and glorified excutions as prisoners are pitched against each other or beasts. Although from the guard's gossip and the muffled roar of the crowd at one point clearly one condemned prisoner has been victorious and as is tradition been granted the Absolution of Kord and been forgiven his crime.

As evening draws close one of the guards asks you to muster in your battle regalia and with a little help for the weakened Lan and Talsien you all manage to ready yourselves and are soon led upstairs. The arena is packed at the end of the day's battle. The sands are stained red in many places and around the edge of the walls you can see the stacked bodies of lions, a minotaur and a hulking albino two headed dire wolf still waiting to be dragged from the ring. As you enter from the elavator one at a time the arena guards point to where you should stand as you turn to face the box where Raknian and the other nobles stand offering you a salute. All of you can see clearly a narrowing on his massive rugged face as you appear - all 6 of you - not looking too worse for ware. In the main box you can also see Ekaym and Eligos, the former giving a slightly effeminate wave to you all. Sadly for Mirriana of Celeste there is no sign.
    As you stand basking the crowds wild cheering the aged and long bearded wizard Talbir rises to his feet, a cantrip causing his voice to be magnfied so that every word can be heard around the stadium.

"People of the Free City. I give you the remaining teams vying to be the Champions of the City...." he has to pause as the crowd erupts in cheers, many throwing flowers, bits of cloth wither names or intimate bits of their clothing into the ring. Most of the adulation falls around the Leatherworks but some also lands around the party with a few for Mirriana, Zarina and Lan but the majority being for the massive Goliath. "Tonight we draw to see the order of battle for the 3 great matches tomorrow afternoon where the final three teams shall be decided!" Again he has to pause. Both for the crowd and to kneel down and pick up a battered looking ancient helmet and six gems/lumps of metal all polished and formed into smooth spheres the size of a baby's fist. He quickly explains what coloured gem each team represents (you being represented by the pearl) before all six are poured into the helmet and its shaken to a great cheer from the crowd. Its offered to a noblewomen of the city who draws the first pair.... THe black Onyx of the Skulls of Murk and the Topax of the NIght Owls! The halfings all looking dubious as they stare across at the pair of black hooded necromancers and the undead flanking them. Okoral then moves to do the second draw... Your pearl is drawn toa cheer as he reaches back intp the helmet and pulls out.... the polished adamantine ingot of Pitch Blade! THe team of 4 angry and grizzled looking dwarves turn to face you. Gripping weapons as they gesture rudely at you spitting and cursing at you. THough its drowned out by the crowd as Auric waves his sword aloft and "Infernus" breathes a great plume of fire up into the empty air! The wizard waits for calm. "The draw is complete. The games are ended for day but ready for an impressive display tomorrow. The order will be as drawn. The Skulls and the Night owls shall battle at 2 bells past noon, the Pitch Blade and the Owlbears at 4 bells past and the Leatherworks and Dragonblooded will battle as the sun sets." As the cheers fade the guards motion you each back to the elavator one at a time and you are returned to the Coenby. The guards around you saying little at the draw as the massive crowd of thousands begins to filter out of the arena.

Food awaits you in the Coenby as you make your way down, along with all of your managers. Although for Pitch Blade the manager is swathed in heavy robes that don't allow you to see who it is. Ekaym awaits you a large burlap sack clasped in his hand as he waves you into your chambers in the walls of the Coenby and pushes the door closed. As the door closes he embraces both Mirriana and Zarina enthustiacly, kissing the former briefly before dropping the bag on the ground. His form shimmers slightly, the image of the man melting away and Celeste's slim figure replacing it.

She grins, a hand resting on Mirrianas shoulder before walking around greeting each of you warmly. She reaches Lan and gently offers him a potion from her belt pouch. "I am sorry for the subterfuge. But it is good to see you. Ekaym explained what happened and Eligos and I thought it would be wise for one of us to come. But Eligos is too well known so it would be hard to explain his lack of appearance tonight, much easier for little old me, a minor mage and adventurer to be absent." She sits down gesturing at the bag. "We were able to get all that you requested so you can be well prepared for your battle tomorrow. It will be tough, the Pitch Blade are a brutal foe. But of more importance please tell me more of what you saw in the shrine. Eligos and I have our suspicions but I hear it from you rather than second hand from Ekaym.

Spoiler: Lesser Restoration
    Show

Potiosn lesser restore for Lan (1d4)[4] Str recovered
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #93

Merrick

"It would be a delight to share arcana with you, Zarina! I am particularly intrigued by the spell of Dragon Scales."

As the nightly announcement is made, Merrick uses the last of his spells and shadow mysteries to create a small sand tempest and disappear behind it.

Spoiler: Bluff my Spell Prowess!
    Show
    (1d20+6)[19]

After retrieving his purchased equipment, Merrick distractedly acknowledges the disguised Celeste. Rummaging through his items he looks at his lesser restoration potion and shakes his head. Too meagre for the damage done.

"By Naberius, I wish I could do more, my resilient friend."

Spoiler: Restoration, Lesser
    Show
    (1d4)[1]

He then gives as much detail as he can recall to Celeste.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-16 at 02:43 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

To Zarina:

"We have heard that Raknian is attempting to create an ulgurstatsa. I am quite sure that the scroll we saw below had something to do with it. But whether they have successfully awakened it and are now just waiting on an opportunity to release it, or if there is yet more to the ritual, I cannot tell. I don't believe Bozal is powerful enough to face us now we are wise to his trick; without his antilife shell and undead minions I have no doubt you and Goattracker could have torn him in half. If he tries the same tactic again we have means to make his life short and unpleasant. And if he does not... more fool him. I believe that next time I will be able to penetrate the scroll's defences. We squandered our dispels on Bozal's shell. Now we know better. Frankly I'm more worried by the demon in that shrine. "

When Ekayn shows up, confusion and consternation at his brooking such over-familiarity rapidly turns to relief and delight!

"Celeste! You are a sight for weary eyes," I say with a wistful smile, touching her at the waist as she does my shoulder. "We have had about as rough a day as can be had with all of us still counted among the living."

I begin to go through the sack, doling out the items to whoever ordered them. The acid vials I distribute one each - it's important that anyone be ready to defend themselves against the worms if necessary. When Celeste reaches for a potion for Lan, I intervene. "Wait! Here... I ordered a scroll that will be much more effective."

I cast three spells from the scrolls - Restoration for Lan and Taliesn, and Remove Disease for Tal as well. Over the course of minutes, so as not to squander charges, I also cast from the wand of Lesser Vigor on anyone in need of healing. An expensive use of party resources, but it helps us be prepared for tomorrow's battle.

As Merrick describes our day, I listen along attentively, adding clarifying comments or elaborations to make sure we give the fullest picture possible. At the end I repeat the warning I'd earlier given to Ekayn:

"Celeste, I worry about you, Master Eligos and Ekayn. I saw Raknian's look at the draw this evening - he is not at all happy with us. I would not put it past him to strike at our allies. Please, be careful. Anyway, there is nothing we will be able to do now until the day after tomorrow. We will need all our resources to beat Pitch Blade tomorrow, and that will leave us poorly prepared to go cavern delving again. Speaking of our match tomorrow, you have seen them fight; my instinct is to use Haste to keep our distance and battlefield control techniques to keep them from closing. Do they have any obvious defences against such tactics? Flight? Dispels? I would hope I know better than to try and match shield and blade against their adamantine weapons."

Spoiler
    Show

Lan: Ability damage cured.
    Taliesn: Ability damage and Ghoul Fever cured.
    Party generally: x charges of Lessor Vigor (heals 11) to heal everyone to full.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Celeste grins at Mirriana watching her use the magics to restore much of the party. Taking a seat she smiles again at Mirriana. "You are a good leader of your friends here Mirriana, it is good that you take such good care of them." Then with a smile at both Zarina and Mirriana she adds "Men are incapable of looking afther themselves."

At the first question she frowns slightly. "The dwarves are a violent and bloodthirsty team. They were brutal in the first round and killed several. Despite our best efforts neither myself or Eligos have managed to find out their manager. There are four of them. Skeggi and Grekki are both beserkers, brutal and murderous and with their adamantine bladed they will try and destroy your weapons. If you have no weapons you cannot fight back. Snorri is a hunter. A giant hunter I think originally but now he wields his siege crossbow in battle and is wel skilled. The leader is Borgrim, a cleric of sorts though I know not the God that he calls his own. His magic is powerful however and he uses it support his dwarves well. In terms of their tactics in the last match the beserkers took potions of flying and flew around while the Snorri and Borgrim hung back.
    I'm sure you will acquit yoursleves well although I fear that there will be little mercy and these dwarves have been paid to kill. So please take care"
    The last she looks at Mirriana in particular before glancing around at everyone else.

Taking a sip of water she looks around dropping her voice lower as she glances at the door to make sure the door is closed. "The Apostolic Scrolls are deadly. They allow a master to make contact with an Apostle of Kyuss. The Aspostle once gestated in a long and horrific ritual will be released and if a suitable- and large and horrific - sacrifice is performed the apostle can bless the ritual caster with a boon or blessing. Clearly this Bozal must be a cleric of some power to have worked out how to perform the ritual, worse if he is doing it successfully. Neither myself, Eligos or any of the wizards in the circle here have the power necessary to break the ritual. It is possible for those of faith to break it but.... Its is not without risk and one fails then the backlash can be dangerous as you contact the mind of Apsostle. Of the beast itself, the ulgurstasta is a like a giagantic maggot or worm but lethal in its power. It helps if you are using enchanted weapons to pierce its thick hide. Beware its breath, it can vomit out necromantic sludge that can kill one's soul as well as one's body. Also beware of being swallowed, the legends about the beast have rumoured that those that are swallowed by the beast can be vomited back out as Spawn of Kyuss..." She shivers and a look of something passes across her face a mixture of sadness and a horrible memory. "The ritual is long, very long and complicated and the sacrifice must be something specific. If its Bozal or Raknian it may vary but I suspect that given who they are and what has happened that they will have tied the ritual into some aspect of the games. So please take special care.

Eligos is speaking with the council in 2 days, so please hang on until then. Raknian is so powerful in this city that to move against him without overwhelming proof would be dangerous, and even now all we have found is the shrine... The games have a fight tomorrow, and then if you are victorious , as you must be, then a fight with the final three as a one paired match and one mach against "the monster". Then there is a rest day - promise that you will hold off investigating the shrine until then? It will give us two more days to see what aid we can manage to find. Eligos is reaching out to his master and other sages but we just need some more time?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the spell returning his strength, the Halfling rose, a snarl plastered across his face. He flexed a bit, ensuring all his gear was ready to go, checking everything once, twice and three times. During the discussions, he was silent for a bit, realizing the dwarves would be out for blood and ready to kill them. However, a number of things weren't adding up.

After a bit, he finally spoke. "Three things. First, thanks for saving me ... both in dragging me out and casting that spell. In the past, I would have left your stupid arses ... but yer growin' on me." He nodded to Mirriana, uncomfortable with saying thanks, but needing to do it.

"Second, anyone check to see if this patron for the dwarves is our missing cleric? Seems pretty easy way to move in and out of the arena.

Third, this big, specific sacrifice? It'll be at the end of our fights. What better dish to serve up to a giant worm than the champions of the tournament? That, or the crowds ... but either way, I figure the big bad comes on the heels of the final victory."

Sitting back down and grabbing some food, he started stuff his face, feeling suddenly famished. "Tha's what Ah thin" he mumbled around a mouth full of food.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Um, if we need healing even with leveling up, Lan needs 4 hits from the wand. He can heal the remaining four with rest.

Status
    HPs: 65; AC: 20
    F +8, R +11, W +6
    Spells: living prints; embrace the wild
    Effects: none
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I smirk and roll my eyes at my girlfriend's jest.

"I don't know what they would do without me and my healing magic," I agree in a tone just playful enough to convey that I'm not being serious.

"Still, there are times when things need breaking and on that count they are hard to beat!"

I listen attentively to her tactical assessment, squeezing her hand when she asks us to be careful. I cannot help but be worried by the series of deadly encounters that lie ahead of us, but I do my best to be reassuring. It is good to be worried, I tell myself. It proves I'm not stupid. A point disputed by Lan's next comment, though I appreciate the sentiment.

"There was never any question I would retrieve you. I push us hard - I know that. We walk a knife-edge between disaster: to over-reach or do not enough; it is a difficult course to chart. I would not be able to ask these things were I not ready to risk my life for yours - for any of yours. Truly, I just count myself lucky it was not Kavuloia who fell. I do not know how I would have moved him."

"I agree with your assessments. Whatever plan they have is likely to coincide with the finale of the games. We probably have time enough to wait for Eligos to consult, and we'll need to wait for a rest day in any case - we will need all our resources just to get through these next matches."

"...actually, I am suddenly reminded there is one final spell I still have prepared today! It was of no combat utility, and the energy is all wrong to channel into healing. Divination. Give me ten minutes and I will ask my goddess for the identity of Pitch Blade's manager."

I gather round myself some incense and kneel to pray in a corner. I hope this time Mystara will answer my prayer.

Spoiler
    Show

Divination. Success chance 70+CL (78) (1d100)[75]
    What is the name of Pitch Blade's manager?
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-18 at 08:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana concentrates, her prayers to the Goddess of the Weave take some time as she lights some expensive incense and meditates upon the owner of the Pitch Blade. It takes some time and your prayers almost seem to go unanswered before like a whisper you receive a cryptic clue.
    The assassin stands at the right hand of the master, garbed as justice but serving murder. Okoral. Protect those you love as he prepares to strike from the shadows...
    Last edited by DrK; 2016-07-20 at 12:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I reel back from this revelation ashen faced.

"Okoral. Pitch Blade's manager is Okoral! Raknian's bodyguard and captain of the guards. My goddess named him false justice. Murderer! Assassin!"

"She tells me that he's preparing to strike from the shadows. That I should protect the ones I... the ones I care about," I correct, unwilling to drop that delayed blast fireball at this particular moment. This revelation is exactly what I'd feared.

"Celeste... You have to warn Eligos and Ekaym! And send a message to Allustan too! Please, do everything you can to protect yourselves!"
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-20 at 02:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Merrick

Merrick's mind races as Mirriana reveals her divine inspiration. The forbidden knowledge granted to him by the whispers and shadows for forgotten names might offer him a solution...

Spoiler
    Show
    Let me see if any vestige might offer a work-around to thwart this Okoral.

I am uncertain if Celeste is still here or not.

"By the grace of the Repentant Rogue, we shall not be taken unawares!"

Immediately Merrick returns to his sleeping quarters and binds himself to Andromalius, sacrificing a spider from his spell components and s single copper coin for the ritual.

Spoiler: Every little big counts
    Show
    Automatically detects sleight-of-hand and can see invisible things. Among other stuff.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-20 at 02:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

At Mirriana's exclamation, Lan raised an eyebrow at her emotion. Grimly, he growled, "I knew I didn't trust that bastich." Looking around the group, he pondered for a moment.

"So he's told the dwarves what he's seen of our tactics. He might know more if he's been following Ekaym around.

So do we kill him before he leaves? Or wait for him to attack first?"

Show
    Not sure what else we can do to save our allies except to warn them and have them travel in packs ...
    Status
    F +8, R +11, W +6
    Spells: living prints; embrace the wild

12. - Top - End - #102

Merrick

As a second thumb grows into each hand, Merrick's perception sharpens.

Spoiler: Search for anything Invisible?
    Show
    (1d20+3)[11] search
    (1d20+2)[3] spot

It's exciting to have a new skill to fail at!

"I tried my best to disguise and obfuscate my abilities. Tactics will need to change tomorrow."

As he sits and meditates upon the day's event and his second near-death experience in as many weeks, new insight come to him.

"After using this tentacle wand, I think a spell that I've been studying makes more sense. It might prove useful."

Spoiler: Spellbook and Vestiges
    Show

New spells in bold:
    4x0- All
    5x1- , Lesser Orb of Sound, Lesser Orb of Electricity, Shield, Charm Person, Protection From Evil, Ray of Flame, Wall of Smoke, Magic Missile, Color Spray, Sticky Floor, Feather Fall
    4x2- Protection From Arrows, Resist Energy, Web, Invisibility, Knock, Spider Climb, Gust of Wind, Baleful Transposition
    4x3- Heroism, Prismatic Mist, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Greater Mage Armor, Haste, Hold Person, Fireball, Greater Mighty Wallop, Mass Snakes Swiftness, Protection From Energy, Evard's Menacing Tentacles, Fly, Displacement
    2x4-Charm Monster, Dimension Door, Mass Resist Energy, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Evard's Black Tentacles

Metamagic: Energize Spell, Maximize spell

Two Vestiges up to 4th level

"Let us talk of strategy," he says as the lesser vigor knits and mends his battered and blistered body.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-21 at 05:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

The young mage is happy as the others to see Celeste. But as the others speaks she nods at Lan's words. "You are probably right the sacrifice will coincide with the final game. At least we should fight tomorrow. If Pitch Blade for for Okoral then we can liken them to private assassins. I would rather face them in the arena where some rules and witnesses are than them attacking us while we sleep!"

She looks at the others. "As for the larger problem I'm sure Celeste or Eligos can send word if they think I anything more."

--------------

There is some more talk with her before the guards give the call for managers to leave. With an incantation she disguises herself once more as Ekaym and takes her leave making sure to give everyone luck and a warm goodbye.

The night in the Coenby passes quietly. Despite setting a watch nothing happens. The guards bored standing watching although both Lan and Talsien with their sharp hearing make out complaints "thrice dammed beast is freezing", "who wants to face an ice worm in summer" "damn thing almost snapped Wagner's arm off"...
    Spoiler: Mystery rolls
    Show

(5d20)[3][18][17][16][17](71)

The next morning dawns and the guards are keen to wake you, clearly looking on with interest at your condition and you suspect that they play a strong role in the pre-match betting!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Waking a little later than usual, Taliesn stretches (on all fours) and flexes. It feels good to have his full strength restored and his incipient illness cured, thanks to his companion's ministrations.

Although he'd received no other healing magic, all trace of his wounds has disappeared. He grins, and then "sniffs" the air all around them. His body and his senses feel more alive than ever before. Nothing like facing death to make one feel alive.
    Spoiler: Sniff
    Show
    Detect Evil / Mindsight. This is really intended for RP purposes – Taliesn has learned to use new senses – not to make DrK have to detail all evil alignments and the intellects of everyone on the Coneby. Any useful information you think we should have, I'm willing to take in and relay. (We already know Pitch Blade is evil; some of the guards may or may not be, but it probably doesn't matter.) Other than that, please don't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Stay safe Celeste," I say, bidding her farewell with a fond kiss, only mildly weirded out by her Ekaym disguise.

Then all it's time to rest and make plans.

"Once again I have a lot of spells that I can cast to aid us in advance. Bless, Sign, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Divine Protection, Silence, Magic Circle, Mass Conviction, Mass Shield of Faith. Silence for Lan. That will need to wait until last lest it interfere with our other spells. Then once we get into battle properly, Recitation and Holy Storm. I admit I will take some satisfaction from using that last one."

"Plan A has to be to keep them pinned into their starting corner. Our spells will have greatest effect if we can manage that. I can use Downdraft to help keep their flying barbarians within range of an Evard's Tentacles spell. If that fails, I have one which will allow Tal to attack at range with tooth and claw."

"Zarina, Lan, Merrick, go offensive at range. Merrick, stay close and I'll do my best to protect you. Try and cast as many spells in advance as possible."

"Tal and Goat - if their bezerkers get loose it's up to you to stop them. I'd recommend trying to grab them - they're unlikely to match either of you for strength."

"Lan, we'll be giving you Silence again. Get close to their caster and make life difficult for him."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-26 at 04:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Okay, Taliesn sends. I'm planning to be big, which should help if I need to grab someone.
    Custom Class

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan rose the next morning wondering how the battle would fare. The dwarves were a bunch of evil looking bastiches, and wouldn't be offering any mercy to a fallen opponent. It was time to put aside any ideas of fair play and win this battle.

Of course that didn't mean he wouldn't give mercy to a surrendering for - but he wasn't going to play nice. At the team meeting, he told the others what he heard about the ice worm, then shared his spells and such. To Mirriana's battle plan, he nodded curtly. "Take out the cleric, aye. Best keep an eye out for the hunter, too. Prolly used to dealing with big boys, so maybe I can do something about his crossbow." He glanced at Goat and Tal as he spoke.

Show
    Ready I suppose
    Status
    F +8, R +11, W +6
    Spells: surefooted stride, arrow mind

18. - Top - End - #108

Merrick

With the new day, Merrick busily studies his spellbooks for the right mix of offense and defensive arcana.

Spoiler: Let's Do This
    Show

0: Acid Splash
    0: Read Magic
    0: Light
    0: Daze

1: Magic Missile
    1: Magic Missile
    1: Sticky Floor
    1: Lesser Orb of Electricity
    1: Lesser Orb of Sound

2: Baleful Transposition
    2: Invisibility
    2: Protection from Arrows
    2: Gust of Wind

3: Displacement
    3: Haste
    3: Greater Mighty Wallop
    3: Fly

4: Evard's Black Tentacles
    4: Mass Resist Energy

Merrick then readies himself for the binding rituals of the day.

Spoiler: Binding Checks, this time correctly!
    Show
    Amon (1d20+10)[17] DC 25, (using Exploit Vestige to get another spell slot, giving up ram attack)
    Focalor (1d20+10)[19] DC 20
    I think some Eagle's Splendor potions will be part of my morning repast.

Tears streaming down his face, Merrick casts Greater Mighty Wallop on Goattracker's giant club.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-25 at 05:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

The young woman looks a little downcast as Celeste leaves as the night draws in and they bed down in their caves. She's up early, pacing around as she tries to focus with some pre-fight calisthenics and wizardly focus. But her spell books blurs in front of her as she looks about. Amazed that others don't seem as nervous as she is. Taking a breath she loads the alchemical capsules into her sword to release on the first unsuspecting dwarf that strays to close checking wands and scrolls.

As she joins the others she smiles and joins in with Mirriana, "With my martial blessing I can share that with two you granting you more martial skills. Also Master Lan, I can shroud in a cloak of invisbilty that while shortlived will not fade if you attack. Plus I can as last time speed up our reflexes to allow us to move far more swiftly than the dwarven ones..." She is happy to join in the chatter and feels more relaxed as her confidence grows in the presence of her friends that seem so strong and powerful!

The morning is slow and long as you watch the other four teams going forth to do battle. Each Champions match spaced out between showcases, bands and shows and smaller matches that slowly word the crowd up into a blood lust. In the Coenby its muted to a dull background roar as blood is spilled and people are slain on the arena sands above. In the dim of the caves Pitch Blade keep to themselves, the 4 dwarves looking at the 6 of you from time ti time. One or more giving obscene signs and both of the beserkers pointing at the giant cleric that is Goat and drawing their hands across their throats. Eventually you manage to eat some food before the bells are rung and the Skulls and Owls head up to sands. The game is clearly a good one - but short! A mere fifteen minutes after leaving its is the dark nercomancers of the Skulls of Murk who return bloodied and exhausted with rent clothes and covered in blood down to the Coenby. They grin evilly at the remaining 4 teams before seeking medical aid.

Another hours passes before the guards motion to you... "Prepare yourselves. You go up to the sands in 15minutes, dress and prepare for battle."

Zarina joins the others as she straps on her armour, tests her sword one more time and smiles. her body shimmering as fine red scales coat her exposed flesh and gold flashes in her eyes. She approached Goat and Talsien offering heroic abilities....

Spoiler: Spells
    Show

15 minutes out she casts
    Dragonskin 70 minutes
    Heroics (70 minutes) on Goat and Talsien - so choose your feats!
    False life on herself 7 hours

Spoiler: Zarina
    Show

Hps 63/63 + False Life
    Saves +11/11/10
    AC 31 ff 29 T 15

Spell Effects:
    False life (1d10+7)[14] 7 hours
    Dragonskin +3 NA, Fire res 10 70 minutes
    Mass resist Acid 80 minutes
    Mirror image 3 images, 7 minutes
    Shield (+6 ac) 14 minutes
    Bulls strength 3 minutes
    Karmic Aura (DC16 will or fatigued) 12 rounds
    Haste 7 rounds

M.Shield of Faith +3 deflect 80 mins
    M.Conviction +3 morale saves 80 mins
    Bless +1 hit 8 mins

Spells
    1st; Burning Hands, Shield x2, Karmic Aura, True strike, Protec' from Evil, Magic missile
    2nd: Scorching Ray, Heroics x 2, Mirror image, False Life
    3rd: Fireball, Dispel magic, Haste, Dragonskin
    4th: Polymorph, Wall Fire, Greater Invis
    Last edited by DrK; 2016-07-27 at 12:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Merrick

"Given our previous strategy, I'll not be surprised if they have a measure of fire or electric protection, Zarina. Be ready to improvise."

Merrick ready his wand and scrolls as needed, then for "fun" he molds his shapesand into a jaunty beard and mustache to compliment Amon's horns.

Tal, I wish to displace you, then turn you invisible. May I?

As he waits to be summoned, he casts protection from arrows onto his knightly protector Mirriana.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-26 at 11:14 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Goat

The goliath preps himself for combat by stretching and exercising. "We can do this friends. We can be the champions. I know it. Kavaki has blessed us!"

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Right before the word go, Goat will cast:

Bull's Strength on Someone Else
    Shield of Faith
    Divine Power
    Brambles
    Enlarge Person

DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #112

Merrick coughs.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-26 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Whoops

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

It's a small cave, and I'm trying to concentrate on my morning prayers. It's not difficult to notice Zarina pacing. I smile reassuringly at her whenever she glances my way until alll is prepared and it's time to go to the arena.

"I believe I'm not too far away from new martial insights myself Zarina. A little magic may help me grasp the thought strands that have been eluding me, at least for this battle."

As we get closer and closer to the start I begin to cast.

Spoiler
    Show

Request Heroics, Martial Study: White Raven Tactics. I'll prepare it instead of Charging Minotaur today.

80 minute spells:
    Sign +4 INIT [MIRRIANA]
    Mass Shield of Faith +3 deflection to AC [ALL]
    Mass Conviction +3 morale to saves [ALL]
    Magic Circle Against Evil +2 Deflection to AC, +2 Resistance to Saves [10ft Radius of Mirriana]

8 minute spells:
    Bless +1 Morale to Attacks & Saves vs Fear [ALL]
    Magic Weapon +1 enhancement to attack and damage [LAN's BOW]
    Bear's Endurance +4 CON [MIRRIANA]
    Bull's Strength +4 STR [MIRRIANA]

8 round spells:

Final Spell:
    Silence 8 mins [LAN's ARROW]

Others' spells:
    Haste
    Protection from Arrows
    Heroics
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-27 at 03:04 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Merrick

"I grieve at the losses we must inflict, Miss Conlan. I hope we make see them properly interred after killing them," Merrick says between sobs.

We will not allow you to heal us. Amon frowns upon it.

Niceties addressed, Merrick awaits the match's start.

When the introductions begin, Merrick in turn begins his castings.

Spoiler: Poof~!
    Show
    First Spell: Mass Resist Energy (Acid)(1d2)[2]/20 [80 minutes]
    Second Spell: Enlarge Person wand on Taliesn [5 minutes duration]
    Third Spell: Displacement on Taliesn [8 rounds]
    Fourth Spell: Invisibility on Taliesn [8 rounds]
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-26 at 05:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

Taliesn endeavors to spend most of the morning out of sight –No sense in letting those bloodthirsty dwarves know anything sooner than they must, he reasons. From within their own enclosure, he can still provide any desired telepathic communications to the party, and he has learned to improve upon his senses, so that (within limits) he can even keep track of where they and even other occupants of the Coenby are, though he finds that some minds pop in and out of his "sight" as they move past certain obstacles and walls. The "sight" is not perfect, and it may not serve for much in the arena, but the next time they must probe the dungeon, he should be able to keep a much better "eye" on things.

He still feels embarrassed that he had not even thought to "smell" for the demon, allowing them all to be surprised. This must not happen again.

He looks over himself. He has never shaped some of these melds before:
    A silvery, long-sleeved robe over his torso,
    A cloak of wispy blue flames springing from his shoulders and spreading down his forelimbs,
    Thick, leathery skin on his hindlimbs, ending in enlarged, sharp claws, mirrored on his forepaws.
    These almost completely conceal the light blue fur on his forelimbs and a smaller, ghostly set of claws inside the larger.
    And over it all, a glowing argent crown on his head.

I am become the chimera. He flexes his protean body as he variously grows and then resorbs a tentacle, a stinger, and other weaponry, all while shifting his internal organs around. Am I losing myself, or finding myself. He shrugs and then starts pacing, waiting for their turn in the arena, where one can set aside those existential musings for one that is far more concrete: kill or be killed.
    Custom Class

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn
    We will not allow you to heal us. Amon frowns upon it.
    Does Amon frown upon incarnum healing, too? Taliesn asks. It is hard for him to keep up with the binder's shifting eccentricities.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taliesn will activate one of his Inertial Armor tattoos (duration 1 hr) and quaff his Magic Fang potion once we get to the buffs round(s) of the arena.
    Custom Class

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

The guards lead you upstairs to the lift up to arena floor. The trapdoor above you opens and the bright afternoon sun streams down on you along with a small cloud of sand from the arena floor. Much of the sand coloured red from the 3 days of fighting. As the lift reaches the arena floor there is a roar from the crowd that almost knocks you off your feet from the volume. The massive crowd has filled the stadium with virtually no seat left empty.

Raknian looks down at your from the box surrounded by many nobles including a posh looknig fellow dressed in fine robes who bears a cold imperious look and a crown atop his head. He leans in pointing at you and then the dwarves on the far side of the arena before laughing and fanning himself. A beautiful woman in a long green dress beside him. With his mind open to the crowd Talsien feels mostly the normal humanoids sentience, Zeech is clever but the woman is highly intelligent but also inhuman, a demon wearing a disguise.

Spoiler: Know Local DC22 or Nobilty &Royalty DC18
    Show

Its the cruel Prince Zeech from nearby Alhaster

You can also see Eligos, Celeste and Ekaym alongside the other managers and nobility all crammed in, served drinks by servants and sitting under a silk gazebo to shield them from the jeers and thrown rotting food from the plebs as well as the sun. All 3 of your friends raise their hands to wave at you.

In the centre of the box the wizard stands up and his voice carries across the field "Friends and watchers and nobles. Prepare for the second of the Champion's games fights. Noble owlbears against the dreaded Pitch Blade. THe rules are as before. You have 1 minute before the gong is sounded and the battle ois joined..." He nods toa massive hourglass that is turned and the minute begins to drain...

On the far side of the arena 250ft away you can see the dwarves in rapid spell casting and downing potions....

28. - Top - End - #118

Merrick

First warding the group against possible acid assaults, Merrick then goes about turning Taliesn into a veritable engine of distraction.

First the shifter doubles in size. Next an incantation makes him appear two places at once. Finally a last word makes Tal vanish altogether.

He then attempts to cipher the spells cast by the dwarves.

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    (1d20+14)[26]

Can you send thoughts as far as Eligos, Tal? We might be able to fill him in things more.

Wanda and scrolls within reach, spells ready, souls bound, Merrick stands ready.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-27 at 05:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Taliesn

As they march past the reviewing stand, Taliesn tries not to start when one of the minds that he "sees" is decidedly not like the others. It is thick, smokey, and foul, like the sensation he had felt only yesterday, when the giant vase had fractured and the ooze demon poured forth.

One of these 'people' is not who she appears to be. The woman there, in the long green dress. Her mind is that of a demon. I will warn Celeste and Eligos, if I get close enough, he assures Mirriana
    Spoiler
    Show
    And that is what he does, assuming he has the opportunity: Celeste, Eligos: the woman in the long green dress: she is not human; she's a demon.

Other than that, he enjoys Merrick's ministrations while adding a few of his own.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inertial Armor tattoo (1 hour, so I won't worry about duration during combat)
    Magic Fang potion
    Custom Class

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Spells cast, save for a last Silence, I also try and work out what the dwarves are casting.

Spoiler
    Show

Also Detect Magic if it would help.
    Spellcraft (1d20+12)[19]
    Spellcraft (1d20+12)[17]
    Spellcraft (1d20+12)[29]
    Spellcraft (1d20+12)[21]
    Spellcraft (1d20+12)[18]
    Spellcraft (1d20+12)[27]
    Spellcraft (1d20+12)[30]