New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt3

Mirriana
    "We each owe each other our lives many times over. I'm not keeping count," I reassure Zarina as we set off.

At the pit I call for a pause. "Before we descend, let me strengthen our resolve. Mass Conviction! Ok Lan, lead on."

Spoiler
    Show

+4 Morale for 120 minutes. Replaces +1 morale for heroes feast.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Firbolg in the Playground

Merrick

Do not be offended. This is merely a pseudonatural approximation, not some fallen mockery like our hostess Kelvos.

His holy warrior companions would likely take offense at the creature he drags now from the alien realm of Zceryll.

With a gesture, a pseudonatural avoral appears.

Fly down and draw out our enemies,” he commands.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Elkist stands impassively watching the hideous approximation descend into the depths, sword in hand. The glow of her brilliant light radiates out from her illuminating the thing for a few moments as it drops out of sight.

"Shall we follow?"

Spoiler: onward
    Show
    I'm assuming that the avoral disappears from sight. If nothing immediate happens shall we descend the steps at a distance

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Slowly and carefully the party descend the spiralled walls of the crumbling crater. The entire area bathed in an eerie green light that seems to have no point of origin. To all of the brave heroes the palpable pulsing of evil and unnatural sensation leaves hairs sticking up and cold sweat on their foreheads. The crater/ crude blast tube remains some 50ft in diameter, broken walls ands crude stairs cut into the wall allowing a spiral downwards. Now and then small tubes and holes pock the surface, half blocked tunnels and passages suggest and hint at a myriad of lost levels beneath the ziggurat but in your hearts you know that your real destiny in this place lies in the depths.

Eventually you reach the bottom of the spiralling tube. The tunnels slowly narrows until it ends in a maybe 15ft diameter hole that is clearly the vaulted roof of a room below. In the light of Elkist and Zarina's glowing armours you can see the room below faintly. A simple looking room where you appear to be dropping into the south east corner of the room; faint gusts of wind and flickering shadows suggest that there are exits to the south, east and west but from the angle of the hole in the roof its hard to see more details.

The room below is a scene of horror, much of the floor covered by writhing and rolling carpets of worms massed together in great coils and swarms, the beasts swarming over the shattered remains of kyuss bettel that you sent tumbling down here the day before.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

you decsend 500ft

8ft diamter hole at the base of your pit is in the ceiling of a 50ft long by 30ft wide bare stone room (from what you can tell so far). The hole is in the SE corner of the room. Three exits midway on S, W and E walls.
    Floor appears to have 2-3 "worm swarms" i.e. Large swarms of jyuss worms. Its ~20ft drop to the floor.

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan peered down into the area, frowning in disgust. He murmured to the others, ”Can someone burn these things to the ground?”

Lan watched for anything coming ...
    Show
    Detecting for favored enemies (Arcane users, constructs, undead, elementals)
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 89; AC: 21 FF/Touch: 16/16
    F +12 R +16 W +8
    Skills: Listen/Spot/Search +18 Move Silently/Hide +20 Tumble +34 D Device +20
    Spells (4/6/5/2/2) 0: create water, guidance, mending, light
    1: <s>detect fav enemies</s>, gravity bow, <s>embrace the wild</s>, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride, CLW x2
    2: fell the greatest foes, fell the greatest foe, invisibility, exacting shot, exacting shot, CMW
    3: decoy image, find the gap, find the gap
    4: aspect of earth hunter, <s>deeper darkvision</s>
    Javelins (+21, 1d4+2 / +22, 1d4+3 w/in 30', bane vs undead)
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 2/2 Horizon Walker
    Effects: +10 Tumbling, detect favored enemies (w/in 60’; 70min); embrace the wild (30’ blindsense, +2 Spot/Listen; 70 min)deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours), Fire Resistance 30; Mass conviction (+4 morale bonus vs all saves; 120min); Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"Zarina, can you do the honours?" I suggest.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina looks to Mirriana, a grin on her face as she focuses slightly, a hand waving downwards as her ring glows and with a "Die you vile creatures" a massive gout of fire streaks down to engulf the floor as the fireball spreads across the floor in a rolling sea of flame, the backdraught almost reaching her as she crouched above the hole in the ceiling!

Spoiler: Fireball
    Show

1 charge of the fire ring + bane undead
    = (13d6)[40] Damage x 1.5 due to swarming DC 21 Ref for half.

Saves (1d20)[1](1d20)[13](1d20)[8]

With a great whoosh of flames a stench of burning rotten refuse hits you as thousands of writhing worms from the carpet upon the floor are incenerated, the rest rapidly slithering out of sight leaving a great carpet and dead and cremated worms behind. Peering down to the limits of what she can see without dropping into the room Zarina and Mirriana cannot see anynore. "Shall I drop down Mir? Does anyone have a rope to tie us to to escape?"
    Last edited by DrK; 2019-09-29 at 06:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"No, I don't have any rope on me," I lament. "But I do have a ring that can cast feather fall, and Air Walk is one of my domain spells for today. This is unless anyone has a better idea."

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"Shall we explore then?". Elkist holds out her hands to Mirriana & Zarina and, when ready, speaks a word of magic descending on a shaft of air.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    When ready:

Cast updraft on self, and descend the column of air.

Can probably carry Lan down if you're not precious about that Starbin (?!).
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2019-10-06 at 02:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1330

I can overland myself and benign transposition Lan down.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina grabs Elkist's mailed hand,a word of "My thanks" as they drop down on a column of air. Landing gently on the floor of this ancient guardroom lights beams into the area seeming to battle with the glowing green glow from the southern exit.

In what appears to be a dust filled long deserted guard room the cooked and crispy worms underfoot crackle under the womens' boots. To the right a long passage decorated with disturbing imagery of undeath and horror runs for some 30ft before ending in a strange set of double doors with a stone carved image of a fountain surrounded by wights. To the left a short arched passage leads into another larger chamber, unclear from the shadowy light Elkist can make out rows of stone biers, each carved with ancient symbols of coiling worms atop which lie perfectly preserved armoured bodies.... dozens of them.

THe exit behind Zarina and ELkist is the most horrifying. The chamber ends in a broken arch and shattered floor, destroyed by some ancient force before it opens up into one of the most horrifying sights either woman has seen before. The room opens up into an immense chamber filled with a horrifying sea of writhing green and the nauseating susurrus of millions and millions of slimy bodies slithering over each other. There is no floor - the hallway ends in shards of rock and falls away to the undulating surface of an immense lake of green worms. The rippling surface lies about five feet down from the floor of the passageway while the ceiling rises to a vault some ninety feet above, only Elkist able to see the roof. Low islands of stone protrude here and there from the wormy expanse and shadowy additional passageways protrude over the green expanse.

Zarina looks to Elkist and back up at the hole above. "I fear this place Elkist" she murmurs holding onto the drow's hand. "I do not think all of will leave this place alive."
    Last edited by DrK; 2019-10-06 at 01:51 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"No-one lives forever," she says, and with one on the wizard above continues "even those who yearn for everlasting life, of a sort, they come to know the limits of the universe with the deepest regrets. If death is all we have to fear then I welcome it when my time comes. "

As she speaks she scans the area nearby.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Detect spirits
    Detect evil

In 60ft all directions, starting with the room with the stone biers & not-at-all sinister armoured bodies.

13. - Top - End - #1333

Merrick

Merrick and Muddy fly down with their shared overland flight, then the wizard uses the benign transposition wand to swap places with himself and Mirriana, and Lan with his familiar.

A moment later they both fly down the shaft again.

I do not seek to escape death, lady knight,” Merrick says. “My fear is if we’ll fall that there will no one to finish our crusade.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan nodded in satisfaction at the burning of the worms, reaching for a rope in his pack. He tied the rope off and started to go down when Merrick transported him to the floor. Rolling his eyes, he simply muttered, ”I’d rather have a way back up in that doesn’t require magic ... ” It was obvious the Halfling believed in back-up plans.

Once on the ground floor, he peered back and forth. ”So ... a fountain with eights ... dozens of bodies that will probably come to life ... or a sea of worms. So many choices.

Can you do the fire trick on the worms again?”

Show
    Still detecting for favored enemies (Arcane users, constructs, undead, elementals)
    Show
    HPs: 89; AC: 21 FF/Touch: 16/16
    F +12 R +16 W +8
    1: <s>detect fav enemies</s>, gravity bow, <s>embrace the wild</s>, hunter's mercy, sniper’s shot, surefooted stride, CLW x2
    2: fell the greatest foes, fell the greatest foe, invisibility, exacting shot, exacting shot, CMW
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 2/2 Horizon Walker
    Effects: +10 Tumbling, detect favored enemies (w/in 60’; 70min); embrace the wild (30’ blindsense, +2 Spot/Listen; 70 min)deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours), Fire Resistance 30; Mass conviction (+4 morale bonus vs all saves; 120min); Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear)

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

"So a crypt, a fountain, or a sea of worms," I ponder aloud, trying hard not to be distracted by the horrifying nature of this place.

"Elkist, give me a hand with this door," I say, deciding. "There could be anything on the other side."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Approach fountain door with Elkist and open it.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana, Elkist and Zarina approach the door, trying not to be distracted by the low hissing and sounds of the millions of the worms in the green lake behind you. The floor still crunches under our boots where you tread on the crispy remains of the dead worms that had carpeted the floor. The door is beautiful in its own twisted way and slides open easily revealing a square 40ft square room beyond.

This chamber is lined with the trappings of religious ceremonies paying homage to Kyuss the WormGod. In place of the altar in the centre of the room stands a shimmering fountain carved frmo black marble. The clear water glowing in the sudden light from the womens' glowing form.

Standing around the rim of the fountain's basin are 3 worm callers, the ancient undead priests of the Worm God. All three of them push back their long cowls revealing their ancient undead faces. They grin, a whisper of Kyuss...... from the skull like heads as dark magic begins to gather around them....

Show

The fountain is 20ft away (in the centre of the room)
    3 worm callers around it

Init
    Lan, Mirriana
    Wormcallers
    rest of the heroes

17. - Top - End - #1337

Merrick

More worm priests. What tricks do they have today?

As he readies his arcana, Merrick tried to determine the Wormcallers’ castings.

Spoiler: Is Spellcraft a move action?
    Show
    (1d20+21)[35]
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2019-10-28 at 10:19 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan waited for a moment, expecting some fire to respond to his request. When he turned around after a momentary silence, he noticed Mirriana and Ellis’s moving to open one of the doors. Muttering under his breath, Lan hurried over in time to see three callers revealed. Growling, he moved quickly and launched a series of javelins at one of the undead ... whoever looked more important. ”Don’t stay bunched up if you don’t have too....”
    Show
    Swift to activate horizon walker, move at least 10’ to the side (away from group) but stay w/in 30’ of callers. Full attack (skirmish, point blank, favored enemy, heroes feast, rapid shot)
    Attack 1 - (1d20+21)[22], Damage - (1d4+7)[9]+Skirmish - (4d6)[15]=24
    Attack 2 - (1d20+16)[36], Damage - (1d4+7)[8]+Skirmish - (4d6)[17]=25if 25 confirms, [b]36[/roll]
    Attack 3 - (1d20+11)[17], Damage - (1d4+7)[8]+Skirmish - (4d6)[9]=17
    Rapid shot - (1d20+21)[32], Damage - (1d4+7)[11]+Skirmish - (4d6)[13]=24
    Show
    HPs: 89; AC: 21 (24) FF/Touch: 16/16
    F +12 R +16 W +8
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker
    Effects: +10 Tumbling, detect favored enemies (w/in 60’; 70min); embrace the wild (30’ blindsense, +2 Spot/Listen; 70 min); deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours), Fire Resistance 30; Mass conviction (+4 morale bonus vs all saves; 120min); Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-11-03 at 02:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

I react quickly, calling divine fire to my fingertips in response to our unholy foes! "FLAME STRIKE!"

I follow up by moving in to threaten as many as possible with my sword.
    Spoiler
    Show

Flame Strike (13d6)[56] half fire half divine. Reflex Half DC21

Move up

IGG, -4 to all threatened foes.
    Manoeuvre not granted next turn: (1d5)[5]

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

The first wormcaller barely has time to move before a pair of javelins pin it to the side of the fountain. The massive wounds from the javelins prove to be its undoing Mirriana calls down a massive pillar of holy white fire. The injured wormcaller screeches a high pitched wailing scream before the fire washes over it rendering it into black dust! The other two wormcallers a fractionally more effective, ducking sideways, their long black robes crisping and smouldering as they get burnt but avoid the worst of the onslaught.

As Mirriana moves into the chamber, sword in hand to threaten the two smoking wormcallers her eyes brush across the fountain, this close she realises how tasty the water looks and how parched her outh is. The need to drink becoming almost overpowering!

Spoiler: Suggestion "Drink from the Evil Fountain"
    Show

FOr Mirriana or others who close to within 20ft of the fountain DC 20 Will Save or compelled to drink as per Suggestion

THe two remaining ancient priests hiss and rise to their full heights, ancient (and now smoking) black and green priestly robes over thick armoured plate breastplates. Both steps back, magic wreathing both of them as they reply in kind! The first focuses on Mirriana, a cluster of black darts flying towards her before a massive wall of null magic envelops Mirriana seeking to destroy her protections. The second one spins, darts of black energy streaking towards Lan like javelins of evil before it resturns fire with fire, a pillar of crackling green flame engulfing Elkist and Zarina where they stand shoulder to shoulder by the door swords in hand

Show

Wormcaller 1 = javelined and toasted and dead

Wormcaller 2
    5ft back from Mirriana
    - quickened slashing darkness vs Mirriana. Ranged touch (1d20+11)[21] and (5d8)[23] -ve damage
    - Greater dispel magic focused on Mirriana CL +12 (10d20)[14][10][14][20][9][10][11][6][9][7](110) targeting all of Mirriana's active spell effects from highest to lowest for assigning dice

Wormcaller 3
    5ft back from Mirriana
    - quickened slashing darkness vs Lan. Ranged touch (1d20+11)[28] and (5d8)[18] -ve damage
    - Flamestrike on Zarina and ELkist (12d6)[41] fire/unholy damage Ref DC21 for half

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana
    With a flick of my fingers I return the greater dispel magic to sender, and the slashing darkness deflects harmlessly off my shield.

"Stay back! There's a compulsion on the fountain! Definitely don't drink from it!" I warn my allies, the effect easily repelled my my mental defences.

I press the attack on the worm caller that attacked me, slashing with a flourish.

Spoiler
    Show

Ring of spellbattle, greater dispel returned to sender as a targeted dispel.

5ft step forward.

Foehammer (1d20+11)[20]
    Damage(1d8+4)[12](2d6)[11](1d6)[1] ignoring DR (+2d6 foehammer, +1d6 lesser truedeath)

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

Hearing Mirriana's warning Elkist pauses sword in hand and casts a handful of dried scales into the air, speaking a brief prayer, "By the might of Heironeous, strike them down now!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Wait until everyone has acted, then:
    Standard: Cast Mass Snake's Swiftness. Everyone gets one additional melee or ranged attack.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

Mirriana

Through the magical swiftness of Elkist's spell I adjust my grip on my sword and reverse my grip, following up my first strike with a lightning reverse.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack(1d20+11)[18]
    Damage (1d8+4)[11](1d6)[4]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2019-11-26 at 11:35 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1344

Merrick

Such nastiness.

Speed would essential with their rapid castings. Merrick casts haste on his more-swordly companions.

Spoiler: Haste
    Show
    13 rounds. Movement +30, +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Lan tried to roll to the side, but the shadows lashed out at him, tripping him up. Stumbling to keep his balance, he turned it into a short jog before hurling three javelins in rapid succession.

”Damn casters ....”
    Show
    Failed Tumble, so move action (30’), but stay w/in 30’ of callers. Manyshot (skirmish, point blank, favored enemy, heroes feast)
    Snake attack - (1d20+21)[37], Damage - (1d4+7)[8]+Skirmish - (4d6)[12]=20
    Manyshot - (1d20+17)[20], Damage - (3d4+21)[30]+Skirmish - (6d6)[19]=49
    Show
    HPs: 71/89; AC: 21 (26) FF/Touch: 16/16
    F +12 R +16 W +8
    Items: 1/1 Laughing Rogue; 2/2 Quicksilver Boots; 1/2 Horizon Walker
    Effects: +10 Tumbling, detect favored enemies (w/in 60’; 70min); embrace the wild (30’ blindsense, +2 Spot/Listen; 70 min); deeper Darkvision (120’, 7 hours), Fire Resistance 30; Mass conviction (+4 morale bonus vs all saves; 120min); Heroes Feast (+1 attack, immune poison/fear)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2019-11-26 at 11:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Zarina

Zarina braces herself against the flames that rush down around her, dodging most and Merrick's fire procetion warding off most of the fire. Even as the rest of the warrior woman rush in she rises, smoke still streaming from her glowing magical armour. "Fire is it vile beasts. I shall show you fire!!". Matchng her words she ssummons a great ball of fire that bathes the fountain and the worm callers in fire before running forward into the still burning area engaging the two wormcallers alongside the other two woman.

Spoiler: Zarina
    Show

Swift: 3 charge rings of mystic fire
    Standard: Fireball the two survivors but placing it on the fountain so doesn't hit Elkist or Mirriana FIRE (15d6)[57] FIRE DC 21 (1d20)[20] and (1d20)[11]
    Move: Move up to the other women (1d20+18)[29] VS DC 20 suggestion

HPs 118 / 118 + 12 Temp
    Saves: +13/11/8 +6 superior + 4 morale +1 ref haste
    AC 19 12 luminous shield +8 dragonskin +3 Natural +2 dex +1 haste = 36 FF 33 Touch 13

Heart of Air (feather fall)
    Heart of Earth (Temp HPs [25% fortification])
    Greater Luminous Armour (-4 to hit, +12AC) hours
    Shield (+8 AC) 20 minutes
    Heroics (Martial strike [searing blade]) 100 minutes
    Superior Resistance
    Dragonskin [white] Cold Resistance

Mirriana: Heroes feast (+1 morale Atk/ vs fear)
    Mirriana: Mass conviction (+4 morale to saves!)
    Merrick: Mass Resist Energy [Fire]
    Merrick: Haste 12 rounds

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

Blades from Elkist and Mirriana are turned aside by ancient bones and verdigris covered chain. It's less effective for one of them as javelins stab into one of them biting deep. Seconds later Zarina's fire erupts around them, one ducking under the rim of the fountain to avoid the worst of the fire. The other taking the full brunt of it and emerging near naked, only a skeletal charred bones and partially melted chain shirt left on the standing figure. Even damaged as badly the 3 women can feel the hate coming off of the creature. The melted one focuses, releasing a pulse of dark negative energy that washes over the 3 woman. THe second, less injured one points at Mirriana seeking to hold her in her tracks before cakcling and releasing a pulse of negative magic that sweeps over all 3 women....

Spoiler: Worm callers
    Show

Worm caller 1 (the really damaged on)
    - Release -ve energy pulse (12d6)[29] -ve energy damage. Will DC 19 for half

Worm caller 2
    - Quickened hold person of Mirriana Will DC 19 negates
    - Greater dispel area effect on Mirriana, Elkist and Zarina (1d20+12)[13] CL checks vs your highest level spell effect

28. - Top - End - #1348

Merrick

This might help...

Focusing on the vestige of Zceryll, Merrick channels positive energy through the Star Spawn’s essence into his force missiles.

Five energized magic missiles fly at the more-fortunate Caller.

Spoiler: Vestige Metamagic
    Show
    adding energize spell for 150% damage to undead. Target less-damaged skelly.

(1d4+1)[2] *1.5 3
    (1d4+1)[4] *1.5 6
    (1d4+1)[5] *1.5 7
    (1d4+1)[4] *1.5 6
    (1d4+1)[5] *1.5 7 = 29

Lose access to Zceryll 5 rounds
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2019-11-30 at 01:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

Unable to harm the creatures with her weapon, Mirriana steps back a pace, summoning a shimmering hammer of force! With a gesture she sends it flying towards the more-damaged worm-caller.

Spoiler
    Show

Hammer of Righteousness FORT DC19 for half: (13d8)[71] force damage
    STR sacrifice (1d3)[1]

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ettin in the Playground

Elkist

"You have waited so long, yet your patience is in vain. You shall fall before us!" Elkist brings down Heironeous' wrath, forcing the blasted temple to turn on its inhabitants as stones shift and crack.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Cast Impeding Stones:

Duration 10 minutes, 40ft radius.
    Reflex DC19 or prone.
    Reflex or Balance check each subsequent round or prone.
    Concentration DC15 + spell level to cast.
    -2 to attacks

Move: Close to melee