New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Rappan Athuk - Pathfinder Gestalt Thread IC

Anzor fells the first skeleton and all but shatters the last combat-capable one, which is in turn finished off by Kipler's shot: the pair of bolts make for a profound statement that the last standing enemy has no riposte for.

Once the hostiles are finished it is a matter of moments to eliminate the trio frozen by the magic of the rainbow and patch up the two injured party members.

The combat is over...for now. All injured party members are stabilized.
    This is my Important Voice For Important Things

This is My Caustic/Sarcastic Voice.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Looking around at the strewn skeletons, Kipler spits. "Bloody Undead."
    Wasing not of wasing is.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well," Anzor said, "that was a rude welcome. Let's get patched up before more of them show up."

He took a wand out of his backpack and began healing his comrades of their wounds.

Once his allies had woken up he says, "Please help finish the job healing us up, I don't want to use up my whole cure wand on this one battle."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

As best I can tell, Nino has a base HP of 27 and took -30 lethal and -17 nonlethal damage, plus was healed 6 by my Lay on Hands. I'm not sure what to do with the nonlethal damage, just ignore it? So if my math is correct, then Nino has 3 hp and should be conscious (and has been this whole time). But I'll throw three CLW your way anyhow:
    CLW on Nino: (1d8+1)[2]
    CLW on Nino: (1d8+1)[2]
    CLW on Nino: (1d8+1)[5]

Nino: Was 3 hp, now 12 hp

Athaleon said Kalleus is at -9 hp. So here's some healing:
    CLW on Kalleus: (1d8+1)[3]
    CLW on Kalleus: (1d8+1)[7]
    CLW on Kalleus: (1d8+1)[4]

Kalleus: Was -9, now 5 hp

CLW on Platt: (1d8+1)[4]
    CLW on Gargan: (1d8+1)[8]
    CLW on Gargan: (1d8+1)[8]
    LoH on Anzor: (1d6)[6]

Anzor: 26/38 hp
    Gargan: 16/16 hp
    Platt: 2/13 hp
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2016-08-07 at 10:34 PM.
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalleus stood up shakily, nodded and clapped Anzor on the shoulder by way of thanks. "I can help, though my own endurance in channeling the divine spark is limited."

Spoiler
    Show

LoH Self: (2d6+4)[10]
    LoH Anzor: (2d6)[4]
    LoH Nino: (2d6)[5]

5. - Top - End - #95

PaladinGuy

Unwounded himself, Kip takes the time to reload his crossbows. He scowls as he sees the damage dealt to the larger of the two.
    Tipping back the brim of his hat, he looks over to the others. "If you're all finished, we should get moving. There's no gaurantee that those were the only graves left... inhabited."
    Wasing not of wasing is.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalleus' wounds looked better, though he was still breathing hard with exertion. "Whew. Better now. But I don't think I can manage that too many more times without a good night's sleep. Anyone else got something? How much is left in that wand?"

7. - Top - End - #97

PaladinGuy

"I can look after my own wounds, if necessary," Kipler notes. "I have my own... method, though I doubt any of you would want to try it."
    Wasing not of wasing is.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Nino groans as he's stirred from his mud nap. "Next time.. Someone else stand in front of the cart.." he says shaking his head, looking around "What has happened. are we still alive in the doom mud?"
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Anzor responds, "It was a harrowing battle, made more dangerous by a lack of caution by myself and others. I apologize if any lack of preparation or prudence caused undue harm to any of us. We must be more careful as we go forward. These undead creatures were created with an unholy precision, they won't be the last we face."

He bends down to pet Platt and resecure the pack he carries.

"We must make haste however, Nino, please heal us all to full health so we can move on. I'd rather not stay here."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Standing at the top of the steps Lise looks down. The fox at her feet looks around too, mimicking her movements, "Something's going on down there, Mamori. Is there another way?" She looks around and draws magic into her eyes, magic that lets her see spells at work.
    Spoiler: Actions and Rolls
    Show
    Cast Detect Magic. Look around. Perception (1d20+7)[25]
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2016-08-12 at 06:22 AM.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

AssassinGuy

The Weary And Bloodied
    You stand: still alive but wounded, armed with new knowledge, and unbent in spite of the cost you paid for your new insights. The mud under your feet has been left marked by your passage and the combat, short though it was; the chill in your spine is either a warning o the cold from this rain. You hear little else save for your breathing and this rain.

The mud is burnt everywhere lightning touched, you feel your blood chill as you eye the red armors lying still in the red mud, something foul smells in the arir…but at least you can no proceed to here you were heading after you finish here.

The Fresh Blood

Your guide, Krs Greengrass – an elf thin as a strand of cloth, possesed of black skin and a single crimson eye, garbed in weather-worn armor of leather and an oversized cloak of green – points her long arm straight ahead and angles it then to right at a modest angle. And then slightly downwards to indicate the precise location where an explosion of lightning took place moments ago. From the words of the other guide, who awaited here digging up ashen mud for whatever reason, you know of another group that lost at least one member who chased after a monkey down before both were waylaid by horrors – and now the location of said group as well: south-east some to hundred feet, about ten feet downwards.

Given how you stand on the very northern point of this foul area and near the ledge you know - having seen the map and having a copy to share among your group - the way opens southwards in a cross formation a lengthy distance of mud and graves to three possible mausoleums. On this here end there lies a large and deep but that other group did not explore it…and you really are not filled with confidence to go exploring its depths.

A thought occurs to you: How are you getting down? And how exactly are you going to see here? It’s still night and raining to boot! And you guide certainly did not bother lighting up any of her few remaining torches.

And you recall that your guide will not follow you down the ledges without hefty hazard pay.

Spoiler: Gunhaven
    Show

To the date not a single expedition into that place, the City of Graves, has survived.

Several expeditions have tried to explore Rappan Athuk. Some were made of monsters, some were entirely machines, a few were wholly made of undead and once an entire army made an attempt – but none survived.

Spoiler: Hoverfrog
    Show

A high priestess of Hecate, the goddess of magic, was turned into a statue of living rock, and is entombed in the dungeon. She had a magic ring that allowed her to shape change. Her name is Akbeth.

Spoiler: Sunwolf
    Show
    Giant scorpions guard the way to the tomb of an ancient king.

Spoiler: Helpful reminder. Please read.
    Show

Distance between groups is about 180ft
    Vision is limited to 30ft
    There is no natural illumination
    It is raining heavily
    The rain is freezing cold
    The name indicates that the person in question has succeeded in their roll and thus their character learned rumors, either before coming here or in the last stopover before the adventure itself began.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

While he waits for Nino to begin healing them all Anzor searches the ground at the site of their battle. Looking through the mud he looks for any valuables or information left behind by the vanquished Ashazy or the skeletons.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalleus bent slowly to retrieve his weapon and leaned on it as he waited. He began to whisper a quiet prayer to himself, in gratitude that he was still alive, and he squinted into the rain to keep what watch he could while Anzor inspected their enemies' remains.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2016-08-12 at 04:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Tamoq grumbled under his breath as the rain inevitably soaked into his cloak. He had long ago secreted his hare, Nibbles, and kept the rabbit in the tumor on the back that the familiar first emerged from; knowing innately that such a place wasn't no place for a rabbit to be hopping about right now. After all he knew that no one else survived and if he was to beat the odds he couldn't be worrying about a part of his body running off to eat what vegetation could possibly call this terrible place home. With a shutter he looked over at his companions, perhaps for the first time.
    He said timidly "More people would aid our quest...Does anyone have an idea of how to get to them? Rope and slow going?" Even as he asked he tried to pay attention to anything besides the accursed rain.
    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Perception Check: (1d20+11)[13]
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire orbiting on her heels as she looks around for danger, languidly remarks... "Some kind of signal that we're here wouldn't go amiss. I'd hate to walk towards them and run into lightning or such."

Then looking at their guide, she bows and says.. "Thank you, I think we can take it from here."

"Anyone here have way of messaging them?"

Perception (1d20+9)[25]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire, it's obviously an alias, but it's the only name she's ever given, is a moderately tall and well built woman of mixed elf/human parentage. She oozes charisma and judging by the way she carries her pack is strong as well. Moderately armoured, with a breastplate, she is more heavily armed, in this case with a nine foot long, razor sharp polearm, which those in the know would recognise as a fauchard, a notoriously difficult weapon to master. The markings on her armour mark her as having been a soldier in the Shining Crusade; a war against a Lich and his armies. Religious symbols of which there are several on armour and weapons, pay homage mostly to Abadar, but also to Iomedae.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Malise nods to the guides in thanks, wondering for the hundredth time what has brought her on this insane quest. She just wanted a new start. That didn't need to involve risking life and limb. "If I could see them clearly I could speak to them from about fifty yards away. Better than yelling. Other than that flash though I've no idea where they are. Without my lights I'd not even be able to see the end of my nose."

"Well, we can stand here until morning and wait until the rain stops or we can set off." She angles her longspear down and pokes the step below, "I'm feeling a little nervous about this. Let's take things slow. Prod every stone before we step on it. Agreed, Solitaire?" She'd chatted to the half elf on the way here so they at least knew one another's names if not their capabilities, although it was clear from the spells floating around her shedding light where her own lie.
    Spoiler: Actions and Rolls
    Show
    Cast Mage Armour AC increases to 15 for the next four hours.
    Cast Dancing Lights to create four glowing spheres of light that illuminate as lanterns. Space them 5 ft. apart around me at cardinal points but 10 feet overhead. That should illuminate 25 feet around me and improve the light level for another 20 ft. My familiar has low light vision so should be able to see quite well in a 45 ft. radius.

Unintentionally it also creates a huge glowing sign indicating where we are so any monsters (or allies) should be able to see us from miles away.

Prod the step below to see if a nasty surprise leaps up and does something nasty.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2016-08-13 at 01:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire nodded at Malise, grasping her polearm, if anything tighter than she already was. Being in this place made her skin crawl, which was, paradoxically, pretty much as she wanted it. The Shining Crusade hadn't given up in the face of the necromantic darkness that multiplied with every victim it took. She imagined this place would test her beyond her limits.

Sticking close to the lightbringer, she tested the ground underfoot before putting too much weight on it, there being no telling whether or not her foot would punch through to a shallow grave and the nails and teeth it held.

Glancing over at Malise once more, she wondered what had brought her to this place. She didn't seem equipped to withstand the testing this place was supposed to inflict on trespassers, but then again one never knew with wizardly types. On the one hand you could knock some of them over with a fart, while on the other some of them could level buildings.

Perception [roll]1d20+9[/roll]
    Last edited by Sunwolf; 2016-08-13 at 02:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Perception (1d20+9)[17]

20. - Top - End - #110

AssassinGuy

The Weary And Bloodied
    Anzor finds some items of interest.

The first one is the blade of the scythe the exploding undead widled. It seems to have survived the detonation with only a modest level of charring and the metal is hot to touch but salvageable. Anzor thinks it is valuable

Secondly Anzor finds a shimmering red gemstone of small size in each of the piles that the armored skeletal figures are left over from. It was hidden well in a crevice in the helmets but find it he does and where there was one the Halfling swiftly confirms there are others: one gemstone in each helmet, apparently, hidden in a quite well concealed spot.

Thirdly is the gear of the undead troops: the armor, the weapons – sans that one which was thrown somewhere yonder by its wielder – and other miscellaneous gear such as a bag of dice that Anzor recovers from remains number three. The gear is entirely in crimson colors, but it seems they all became a messy pile together with the bones of the owners to such degree even that Anzor will have geat trouble forcing the owner to part ways with their gear: it seems the undead did this as a final insult to keep him away from their valuable.

During this search Anzor appears to have stained his hands on something that feels like grease but looks far more murky. It smell of rot and soil.

Anzor’s scorpion companion is still hiding under the ground. Anzor thinks he will need to coax his ally out of hiding.

The rest of the party is awake and alert and therefore can see very distant lights northwards. They are distant, barely dots of light winking like stars on the sky - but something or someone lit up four tiny twinks of light. And they are slightly higher than your are. Not much...

The Fresh Blood
    Malise’s approach to the ledge brings out a rapid feeling of something shifting under her feet right as she nears the ledge. The mud yields rapidly to her weight and the moment she makes to proceed she feels the ledge shifting in response to her body weight drawing nearer. Within the span of a second her intellect concludes that no, it is not a good idea to get too close to the ledge since it might just take the human standing on it to a one-way trip downwards with no guarantee as to how she might land, so breaking her neck is a possibility there is it becomes a sudden surprise and she slips in the worst way.

Thus warned off, Malise steps away from too close to the ledge and notes that she would need to lie down right by the ledge to prod the mud on the step below.

Solitaire draws these same conclusions: not only is the other person’s skittering movement a decent confirmation but Solitaire’s greater body weight brings out even more evident shifting on the mud by the ledge. Solitaire also draws the conclusion that getting too close will bring a very rapid result that guarantees nothing.

Tamoq’s focus takes a note that there is a lot of mud here but it is a perfect mess so even basic attempts at tracking would be rendered moot. That is not a good thing.
    Last edited by Ruess; 2016-08-13 at 03:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire murmurs to Malise... "Can you move the light around the edges of this, I don't know what to call it, a shelf? to see if there's a ramp? Otherwise we're going to have go down on a rope. Last one down is going to have to slide down I reckon. Moving the lights is probably a good thing since they might attract attacks just by themselves and give us warning."

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Tamoq perked slightly in thought and said "Maybe they left a rope to climb down themselves? Perhaps we could avoid the ledge as best as we can while we circle around slowly?" Even as he talked he moved a leather boot covered paw through the mud to see just how viscous it was. If he could then he'd make a rough cross followed by two dots, one of their rough position and the other of the rough position for the second group. After all they knew the other group was somewhere on the southeast section and that they didn't explore this southern section from what the guides said.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey Kalleus," he said, "I found some interesting items here, can you give me a hand in figuring out what they are? Just be careful about touching them, I seem to have gotten something disgusting on myself."

Anzor examined the objects he pulled from the corpses' corpses using both his magic and magical knowledge. He also took a look at the foul substance sticking to his hands as well. He hoped it wasn't dangerous, but knowing this place he suspected bad news.

He also called out to Gargan and spoke reassuringly, "It is ok friend, we're safe, for now, the monsters have been defeated. You are safe and healed, come back and join your buddy."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Detect magic on grease on his hands
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[11]

Detect magic on Scythe
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[22]

Detect magic on Red gemstone #1
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[12]

Detect magic on Red gemstone #2
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[14]

Detect magic on Red gemstone #3
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[20]

Detect magic on Red gemstone #4
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[13]

Detect magic on Red gemstone #5
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[14]

Detect magic on Red gemstone #6
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[8]

Detect magic on Dice
    Spellcraft: (1d20+6)[19]

Anzor also continues to refresh the light spell on his sword.
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2016-08-13 at 09:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Bringing up the rear a sore footed blue skinned tiefling grumbles "This storm hasn't let up all day. Gods why of all the times for a thunder storm to be on this day! You know I can't move as fast as you fellow quit jumpin' ahead so fast" shuffling towards the edge he looks down at the little cliff "So why did we stop?"

Spoiler: Actions/OOC
    Show
    Trogdor deliberalty travels slower because of his leg though in a fight he seems to move quite hurriedly
    Last edited by Hectichermit; 2016-08-13 at 08:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire turns at the query from the blue skinned tiefling..

"The way down is treacherous in the extreme, possibly a mudslide to an early grave. We've stopped to ponder how we might avoid sliding headlong into trouble with no possibility of retreat. If this were some hillside at home, I'd jump on a shield and just slide down, but the reputation of this place hints that such a move might be the last move one ever makes.", responds Solitaire evenly, no emotion in her voice.

"As such we're open to ideas. There was light over in that direction, more than likely a fight between the last ones to enter and something else. Right now we don't know more than that. Could be they met a grisly fate. Could be the fight is still going on in the dark. Could be they won."

"I have a rope and figure we could descend the steps with that, so that if something grim did wait at the bottom for us, we'd at least have the choice of coming back up."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trogodor looks around at the barren landscape and muddy ground "Poor place to bind a rope the ground is too soft for an anchor, someone will have to lower the others down." Trogdor unravels a rope and ties one end to his waist "Who will go down first?"

Spoiler: Action/OOC
    Show
    According to the climbing rule i can lower or raise double my max load I don't think anyone here weighs more then 1800 lbs
    Last edited by Hectichermit; 2016-08-13 at 10:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyKP View Post
    "Hey Kalleus," he said, "I found some interesting items here, can you give me a hand in figuring out what they are? Just be careful about touching them, I seem to have gotten something disgusting on myself."
    "Sure. Keep an eye out in the meantime." Kalleus peered at the baubles with the second sight, trying to glean any sort of clue from them.

Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft to try to identify whatever Anzor could not:

- Grease: (1d20+8)[27]
    - Scythe: (1d20+8)[22]
    - Gem 1: (1d20+8)[21]
    - Gem 2: (1d20+8)[9]
    - Gem 3: (1d20+8)[28]
    - Gem 4: (1d20+8)[10]
    - Gem 5: (1d20+8)[18]
    - Gem 6: (1d20+8)[10]
    - Dice: (1d20+8)[23]

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Malise does as asked and moves the lights to their limit down the slope of the stairs, "I don't want to go first. Perhaps if we attract the attention of whatever was fighting over there then they'll be able to tell us how to get down safely. If they're hostile then at least we'll see them coming and we'll have the advantage of higher ground."

"Or I could mix up a potion that would freeze the mud but I doubt that I could create enough to get us all the way down."
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Nino dusted himself off some more, watching the others collect things, "Well then, some treasures? I might have as much magicial inclination as you two, but perhaps I could appraise the shiny things?" Noticing lights off in the distance. Deciding that giving people a warning shout was his own undoing last time, he takes a more sublte approach casting message "Oh no.. More bad things coming our way. Lights ahead to make us dead."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

30. - Top - End - #120

AssassinGuy

The Weary And Bloodied
    Two heads are, in fact, better than one. A short bout of guesswork and shared ideas brings the following conclusions.

The grime contains, but does not consist solely of, necromantic ichor. Identifying where exactly it came from is not easy but the likeliest culprit is whatever else lies inside the helmets of the undead troops where Anzor found the gems. It is not inherently deadly nor is its virulence immediate but Anzor risks blood poisoning and attunement into negative energy if the grime is not removed within reasonable time - that being some three to four days. One of the two is bad. Having both would be rather unhealthy.

The Scythe blade is not magical in and of itself but careful examination with detection reveals that there is a suppressed aura of enchantment on the blade, but something is stomping on it and thus renders the blade’s magic, whatever that may be, to nil. Neither Anzor nor Kalleus thinks the magic of the weapon would be all that impressive. Either way is worth taking since it is magical and well made, and thus will make for an impressive short sword if no one wants to buy it.

The gemstones are each the size of a fingertip and warm to touch. Looking at one shows that somewhere in its core there is something shining with a bright light. Focusing on a gem for long at it makes the light within seem to move a little. Their own nature is inherently necromantic: it is nothing readily available nor is there any spell or effect that the two can come up with but no matter what they are still possessed of an affinity for negative energy and necromancy. If nothing else they should be kept away from future black magicians and other such persons.

The dice do not appear to be magical. It is a pouch of rather nicely carved, seemingly wooden, dice that were carved with good care but not exceptionally at that. You count eleven dice in total, and mentally note that one or two looked odd.

The New Blood
    Your guide, Krs, is having a quiet conversation with the other guide herein. Both are keeping their communication quiet and are standing somewhat apart from your group lest they disturb you.

Nothing stirs on the mud: not on this level nor on the one below but you still feel an ill wind brushing across your form, standing on this barren crest of a hill. Either you jump and survive with some meager bruises or you start doing muscular work with the rope to get something done...or you can of course stand here admiring the night, full of cold rain as it is. Surely it has to end at some point.

Your mind takes this random moment to ponder on the fact that there are two guides here who have no further employment with you since they brought you here. You could hire either of the two for help, hire both, or leave them be.

Either way you think you ought to do something.