New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Rappan Athuk - Pathfinder Gestalt Thread IC

"Well Its either the hoard out here or what lay inside, If we see something worse then a hundred undead shambling about inside we will move on but these doors should be sturdy enough to keep things out if we barricade them from the inside. "

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Nino nods softly, sighing internally as he looks about. He chooses not to join into the conversation about theater, as last time he was quite badly hurt. "I.. shall assist in this." he remarks, repeating a few of the same words used by Lise as well.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Casting Message on Lise, Kip, Tamoq and Solitaire. Likewise he'd repeat the casting to try and get everyone so that they get a proper network going.

"If I could be given a few moments, Perhaps I could listen to whispers of the past to learn more of the location we're about to go into.."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Trogdor & company
    *Trogor’s thoughts think back on lessons learned and a trickle of thoughts confirms: these crypts are more than a fancy outhouse, but what it might be is something that needs to be seen in person, although the venomous green material of the structures does not hint at anything positive.

The doors are locked as Trogor’ and Solitaire both confirm. The former tries it first and the latter confirms it: the iron doors are in good condition and yield no space whatsoever no matter whether the large ring on the door is pulled or pushed.

Tamoq, being an engineer, drew a few notes along the way to the door.
    Spoiler: Engineer Notes
    Show

The material for the graveyard stones is nothing exceptional. It might serve as cover in a fight but looks heavy too so maybe it might protect from the nestier stuff in a pinch too – although that begs the question of who is insane enough to haul that many tons of stone over here to carve them up one by one.

Judging by how the graves are set with intent and meaning that means someone or something made sure each area where graves lie in formations or groups would be well-planned and set with great care. That implies someone has interest in them. Or had.

The crypt looks nice, from an engineer’s perspective, judging the construction with a good eye. It looks intimidating too, although given the heavy darkness in the theme of all these decorations it is likely to signify something. The skulls are something the engineer can give no conclusion on… and feels unsure if it even would be a good idea to go examining skulls embedded in or part of this kind of green stone.

The doors prove easy enough to pick, and clicks signal your success after a short bout of working the mechanism via keyholes underneath the handle-rings.

Kip & company
    Standing up here you feel acutely aware of the flitttering forms you see out there in the dark, highlighted in the occasional crack of lightning overhead. You cannot pinpoint any particular location or direction, nor state with certainty whether you saw something or merely got the wind or rain in your eye momentarily.
    This is my Important Voice For Important Things

This is My Caustic/Sarcastic Voice.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire couldn't help but notice that the cadre was now split. She thought this a particularly bad idea given the situation. She watches the surroundings while Tamoq picks the lock. She imagines that everyone else in their half cadre is as un-nerved as she is by the greenish hue of the crypt. Even so she watches the locale, comforted in a small way by having stone at her back, though she cannot bring herself to touch it. She hopes Kip and the others a little distance arrive soon, though this is not the phrase that passes through her head as she thinks it, which involves the words 'arse' and 'gear'. She is a soldier after all..
    Last edited by Sunwolf; 2016-08-25 at 03:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trogdor takes a moment to peer into the building after Tamoq opens it then takes a copper coin and casts light on it and tosses it in

Spoiler: Actions/OOC
    Show

Perception: Looking around for any signs of movement, darkvision 60ft and the 20foot area around the coin is light
    (1d20+5)[18]

With his shield out and his other hand free he prepares to cast Burning Hands if something comes out of the darkness
    Last edited by Hectichermit; 2016-08-25 at 04:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Once the door was open, Kalleus motioned towards it to signal the others to enter. Carefully but quickly, he backed toward the door, the point of his weapon still leveled.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh good, the door didn't explode and kill them," Lise ruffles the head of her fox as she begins moving forward, "Safe as houses. Nothing to worry about. Come on everyone." Her cheer is nothing but false bravado but someone needs to keep people's spirits up.
    Spoiler: Actions and Rolls
    Show
    Level my spear and walk through the doors.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well then. I believe I shall follow. " Nino remarks following Lise after that "It is important not to be alone for many lengths of time. Easiest way to find permanent living space here. Well, without the living part."

Show

has whip at the ready, constantly on the watch [roll]1d20+13 perception[/roll]

Auto Rolls for coming within 10 feet of Trap or Treasure.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Anzor is likewise relieved that no mayhem occasioned the opening of the door. He walks toward the door, continuing his role as rear guard, waiting for others to enter first. He keeps an eye on the graves behind them, wary for any sudden movement. He studies the building for a moment and tries to remember the history of this place and how this building fits within that.

He again reassures his dog & familiar and leads them down the stairs and into the door after everyone else.

Show

Knowledge (History): (1d20+6)[13] Free Inspiration: (1d6)[6]
    Want to test your mettle in the Irorium Arena? Always accepting new gladiators!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Satisfied that nothing untoward has befallen his companions, Kipler descends down the stairs. He lingers outside the door, waiting with Anzor for the others to enter.
    Wasing not of wasing is.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Tamoq whispered to those around him as he returned his tools to his bracers "Further good news is that someone designed all this. I'd avoid the skulls, I can't tell a thing about them. At least not until we possibly do some remodeling to make it a bit less intimidating and a bit more homey." He stayed at the edge of the door, not touching it further once he doesn't on the off chance lightning strikes the doors and decides to zap him too.
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trogdor walks around surveying the room as the others enter the tomb. "So we are out of the rain and mud. We should keep a few people here to hold the door while a few of us secure this room."

Show

How big is the room we are in, how many doors/entrances, and anything useful like are there coffins or more weird statues

Take 10 on Perception = 15

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Satisfied that nothing was immediately following them in, Kalleus turned around and advanced through the door.

"Silent types to secure the room, the rest of us stay by the door?" he whispered. He didn't dare rattle his armor for emphasis, but still, there was no hiding the sound of armored boots, or articulated plates tapping against each other. "Don't go too far," he warned.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire stepped into the crypt and looked around. To her mind it was dry at least and the footing wasn't slippery mud.

Perception (1d20+9)[11]
    Stealth (1d20+7)[9]

15. - Top - End - #195

AssassinGuy

The door is heavy to move and resist your efforts to move it, requiring you to put your back into it. Even then the heavy iron door opens with a heavy cccrrrreeeeeeeaaaakkkkkk that rings almost violently throughout the interior and the outside, within the rain even. Once the heavy piece of metal yields to your force, you see the interior.

The interior is a simplistic one: a single room fifty feet long and thirty wide. On left and ride there stand

Inside large tombs stand on both sides of the walls with enough space around them to avoid becoming a cramped area but compactly enough that one person only can stand in the space between two such large monuments of stone, each one of which is both broken and yet standing in mostly intact condition albeit with holes and crack. At the end of the fifty-foot stretch ahead you spy not only the largest grave yet, being large enough for a giant, but you also spy a cozy campfire with a huddled figure seated by the fire, now turning to look at you.

Due to being against the fire you cannot see overly much, but in the moment when the lit coin soars over and clatters into the flame you spy a rather haggard looking man, who is clearly surprised to see you but waves you to come in.

"Come on in and close the door!" this person calls to you a somewhat rasping male voice. "Come, sit by the fire if you please, it's raining cats and dogs out there! Decent folk have no business out there catching the fevers!"

Spoiler: Anzor's history idea
    Show
    The only idea Anzor has in historic sense is that either someone or someones are buried in this larger catacomb out of spite or to signify something of their statue. Whether they are here still in another matter given how often tombs like this are raided by persons seeking to acquire wealth in spite of such methods being...rather amoral.
    Last edited by Ruess; 2016-08-28 at 05:21 AM. Reason: fixing typos

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trogdor doesn't move too far into the room after spotting the man, he stays just on the other side of the narrow passage of the tombs "Who are you and where did you manage to find dry wood in this wet bog? This place is of stone do not tell me you carried it down here because that would mean you stayed dry in this monsoon."
    Last edited by Hectichermit; 2016-08-28 at 12:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Lise curtsies politely, lifting the edges of her wet gown slightly, before stepping forward, "Hello, sir. We weren't expecting anyone. May I enquire as to your name? I'm Malise Refr, these are my friends."

She edges forward, looking around for signs of danger, the ground didn't look particularly stable what with the huge grave there and the broken monuments. As she carefully approaches them she tries to understand exactly what they represent. Then she turns her attention to the man again. Is he a normal person or is he dressed in a way that would reveal something about him?
    Spoiler: Actions and Rolls
    Show
    Perception with Heightened Awareness (1d20+9)[22]
    I don't know which knowledge check is appropriate for the monuments so here they all are:
    Knowledge (Arcana) with Heightened Awareness (1d20+17)[34]
    Knowledge (History) with Heightened Awareness (1d20+17)[23]
    Knowledge (Nature) with Heightened Awareness (1d20+17)[24]
    Knowledge (Planes) with Heightened Awareness (1d20+16)[19]
    Knowledge (Untrained) (1d20+8)[11]
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire regards the occupant, curiosity written all over her features. She remains silent, looks up to the ceiling first, then heads over to the wall on the left first and then the wall on the right, so she can see behind the broken things, whatever they might be. The single file walk to the fire and the figure that hails them is not one to inspire confidence.

Privately she thought Trogdor was pushing too hard. The wood could have been here for a long time thus there was no evidence to support the statement that the wood should be wet since it was now raining outside. On the other hand, who but a friend of the local foul population would be here alone and unmolested.
    Last edited by Sunwolf; 2016-08-28 at 04:04 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Tamoq breathes out a sigh of relief as they enter the tomb without any real issue, making a mental note to double check for traps before they delve further tombs. As if to prove a point he does just that with the passage they walk (him taking up a position comfortably behind Lise), while also admiring the stonework of their potential crushing doom.
    Spoiler: Hidden Dangers!?
    Show
    I'm saving these rolls in a note because I roll the same like 5 skills every time.
    Perception: (1d20+11)[16]
    Engineering: (1d20+12)[17]
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+8)[26]
    Stonemason: (1d20+10)[13]
    Craft Traps: (1d20+10)[30]
    Architect: (1d20+6)[23]
    New job, who dis?
    I'll check in the evenings when I get home from work / take a break from whatever game has claimed my soul.

Your understanding is appreciated.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trogdor looks at the party and says "I know its an odd thing to ask but it just puzzles me. Trogdor looks towards some of the stragglers that joined up with the forward group " I will look to that door so as nothing else can wander in at the moment"
    Show

Using Deathwatch on him

Perception: Getting a good look at this person
    (1d20+5)[12]

Sense Motive: seeing if he really is welcoming us or is it a ruse
    (1d20+2)[5]

I am still ready to unleash my burning hands spell if necessary *Wonders about those rumors he has heard does this character fit one of them?

Religion: to identify the order of which this character might represent of a certain type, this works for identifying undead as well in its description
    (1d20+5)[9]

After he gets a good look he will turn to barring the door how heavy is one of these coffins or is there a large piece of lumber laying about? I would like to remind you that I am wearing a permanent ant haul item and can move quite a bit of weight around

Last edited by Hectichermit; 2016-08-28 at 09:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201

PaladinGuy

Kip frowns, not entering yet. "Those coffins occupied?"
    Wasing not of wasing is.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Solitaire the Crusader

Solitaire advanced some thirty feet down the central aisle, then paused..

"How is it that you are here?", she asks. Her tone one of curiosity more than anything else. Even so, with both hands on her polearm she deems herself ready for anything.
    Last edited by Sunwolf; 2016-08-28 at 04:16 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

As Kip pauses in the doorway, Anzor does too. Continuing his rear guard position. He is as surprised by the man sitting at the fire as any of them, but does not want to overwhelm him with questions, and lets those inside the room do the talking. His swords are still drawn and he remains ready for anything that comes their way. He keeps an eye behind them, watching the graves and the rain for any surprises. He keeps an ear on the conversation inside, ready to respond if a threat emerges.

Spoiler
    Show

Perception: (1d20+7)[15]

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Kalleus regarded the innocuous old man with suspicion. No ordinary hermit could live here, that much was obvious. His comrades' questions were worded rather more nicely than his own were likely to be, so he simply awaited the response.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Nino blinks, remaining on edge as well. A man does not simply make home in a crypt, he thought to himself, there is evil here that does not sleep. He watches, scanning the room and behind them for any sort of lurking dangers ready to spring forward and devour them.

Whispering via his own message spell to Lise, "This i do not like."

Spoiler: OOC Rolls
    Show

Perception (1d20+13)[30] 1st rank of Perception Skill unlock 5 Ranks: You remain alert to sounds even in your sleep, and the normal DC increase to Perception checks when you are sleeping is halved. The distance modifier on the DC of Perception checks you attempt is reduced to +1 per 20 feet.
    Sense Motive (1d20+0)[18]

Whip is readied.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trogdor approaches those who are idly standing by the door, as he stares down at Nino , Kip and Anzor "If you are enjoying the weather so much you might want to step inside before I close this door. You lot might as well fear your own shadows. Stone walls are safer then the open even if they look like these.
    Last edited by Hectichermit; 2016-08-29 at 02:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

AssassinGuy

Trogdor's words cause the man to falter and the tiefling is certain he sees in those harrowed eyes a flash of something before it is hidden.

"Welcome then, Lady Ref and Company to my most glorious squatter's den," speaks the man again and now that you are all inside you get a better view of him.

He stand six for and change, and looks like a skeleton that draped a skin over in but got it a few sizes too tight. Signs of starvation, poor eating and exhaustion are heavy on him from sunken eyes to wandering eyes and a few shivers in spite of standing right beside the fire. On him you see a rather damaged looking leather armor, as well as an assortment of things from scabbards to a miscellaneous collection of thing,such as an empty bottle of spirits.

As he bows to what you can tell is an imitation of courtly bow you also see his form twitch somewhat. When he continues he motions to the fire set on the largest tomb. "All I can offer you and your company is the fire, a share in my rations, my own company and perhaps the hope that nothing overtly terrible disturb us here."

Now that it has been pointed out subtly by the man's hands you see a small pot hanging over the fire, and though small it looks like it serves as today's kitchen for the man.

And then you along with your companions start with the barrages, causing the man to again blink, now in moderate beffudlement before he apparently finds his wits.

"So many questions...Won't you sit by the fire at least ad dry while we talk? Or at least tell your frieds to come in out of the rain?" Before you respond he continues with a shrug. "No skin off my nose if you prefer the rain though." Without waiting for your response the man seats himself on the left side of the campfire and sighs quietly in so doing.

"So, answers... I am Marek Saltwind, from a distant fishing village you have never heard of.”
    A long, tired blink of his eyes.
    “It’s raining and I wanted out of the rain.”
    Several tired blinks.
    “There are some of rats in the tombs. I call a few of them friends, such as Fried on the one close to the entrance, he likes chewing on my shoes for some reason.”

This man, Marek, gestures at the tomb on your left, closest to the entrance upon mentioning this Fried rat.

A few long blinks again as Marek watches the events at the entrance.

Spoiler: Maise
    Show

You see the coin that was tossed into the flames be consumed by the fire; limited in size though it is, that coin is nothing special and the heat quickly consumes the magic, leaving nothing behind. Other than that you do not see anything overtly magical nor anything overt that you might identify.

Your vulpine companion chooses this moment to try to climb into your lap, and makes a solid effort in climbing. Apparently this is not a site the fox enjoys being in.

Spoiler: Solitaire
    Show
    You wander off to the left and discover that the graves, insofar as you can see, are not only large but also mostly torn apart from on, which tells you someone or something went out of its way to plunder them.

Spoiler: Tamoq
    Show
    The interior is mostly dry and the ceiling looks solid, but sadly the graves are ransacked or so you summarize. You might try to find a big enough rip to find out if anything is left but you are not sure you want to risk collapsing a tomb this size, let alone more if you accidentally set off more than one. You can tell that this constructed space is still well made, and appears to keep the weather mostly - but unfortunately you opening the doors stole away a big chunk of the warmth that likely was here previously.

Spoiler: Trogdor
    Show
    You are certain beyond doubts that you must kill this person right now. This is obviously a trap that has captured your naive companions and it is your duty to kill this person with fire, violence and extreme measures. Your...talents confirm he is still alive, however, or fooling the senses you use in this task.

Spoiler: Anzor
    Show
    Your canine and insectile companions do not want to go in. The hound whines piteously and looks at you with sad eyes that beg you not to go there. You can feel a sense of alarm from the canine.

Spoiler: Nino
    Show
    You sense no hostility or malice in this person, but you do feel he ought to be somewhere getting a solid meal and then enough sleep before he collapses from fatigue.

On the other hand you are fairly certain there are a couple of rats in those tombs, and in more than one. However, they seem to be minding their own business rather than involving themselves in yours.

Trogdor makes a good attempt at looking but finds nothing that could be used for barring the doors, which swing inwards. The rubble is either on the tombs, inside them, or just too small to really do anything - the third option is also the one with least material available - and a tug tells the tiefling the tombs are apparently affixed onto the floor itself so he would need to rip one off of the ground itself to drag in on the floor. There is no wood to be had here either, or at least insofar as Trogdor can see without careful search all over.

Trogdor's activity also draws Marek's eye, which makes the man eye everyone else in a silent question of "Is your companion entirely sound of mind?"

Spoiler: Layout of Crypt
    Show

The crypt is, as mentioned, is a single room fifty feet long and thirty wide.

A twenty-foot path straight ahead.
    Large tombs (10ftX5ft in space) on both sides of the path [To the left and to the right when you walk on the 20-foot path.]
    The right and left corners at the very far ahead are empty.
    There is a tight space alays between two tombs: it is enough to fit a medium creature.
    Tombs "begin" from the wall.

Feck it, I am building this crypt and you may all position yourselves therein.
    I still think it is possible for players to position their own tokens on those maps but I forget how.
    Last edited by Ruess; 2016-08-29 at 02:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

PaladinGuy

Not moving from right outside the door, Kip speaks to Trogdor and Anzor, keeping his voice low. "Go on in, but leave the doors as they are. If he proves villainous, I'd rather not be trapped in close quarters with a madman - or his rats. I'll keep watch for any more nasties."
    Leaning on the doorframe, he listens, trying to understand what - if anything - Fried and co. are saying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampiric Empathy to listen in on the rats.
    Wasing not of wasing is.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Fine! I am just going to be over here trying to get clean. The blasted mud is everywhere!"

Trogdor casts create water and trys and clean himself off, he spends the next couple of minutes sitting in the corner cleaning his gear with water and soap using an old rag he has
    Last edited by Hectichermit; 2016-08-29 at 04:35 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Anzor nods at Kip's suggestion. He could tell the man inside was getting annoyed. Until Anzor sees reason otherwise his default is to avoid making additional enemies. Not everyone was a 'people person', he felt that perhaps it was best if Anzor did the talking from here on out. He gives a quick pat to Platt and says, "Its ok boy, you can stay here with Kip. I'll go in and see if it is safe."

He whispers soothingly to Gargan, "It'll be ok, we can face whatever is inside together."

Anzor entered the doorway and shook the rain off of him. He lowered his gleaming swords and walked toward the man at the fire, taking a good look at him, trying to detect any evil intent or purpose behind him.

Spoiler: If he doesn't detect evil in Marek
    Show

Sensing no evil about him, Anzor slides his swords into their scabbards and accepts the man's offer to sit by him at the campfire. Graciously accepting his offer of food, Anzor offers some of his own. Halfling trail rations being considerably more nutritious and hearty than the typical swill adventurers call food, Anzor gives the man an extra portion on account of his gaunt figure.

He holds out his hand and says, "Marek, it is a pleasure to meet you, I am Anzor Swiftsilver. Holy knight in service of Iomedae. My associates and I just had a harrowing battle with some of the local denizens of this place, I apologize for their rudeness. After facing sundry undead creatures out to destroy us they are a bit edgier than usual. We are grateful for a friendly face, a warm fire and a dry place out of the rain."

Spoiler: If he does detect evil in Marek
    Show

Sensing evil, but not knowing his intent, Anzor lowers his swords and approaches the man sitting at the campfire.

Without coming within reach he says, "Marek, it is a pleasure to meet you, I am Anzor Swiftsilver. Holy knight in service of Iomedae. My associates and I just had a harrowing battle with some of the local denizens of this place, I apologize for their rudeness. After facing sundry undead creatures out to destroy us they are a bit edgier than usual. The rumors we hear of this place is that behind every stone is a trap and every kind face is a monster. We are grateful for a warm fire and a dry place out of the rain."

Show

Handle Animal: Take 10 + 8 = 18 Trick: Stay
    Cast Detect Evil on Marek
    Diplomacy to improve attitude (regardless of what detect evil turns up): Take 10 + 10 = 20
    Last edited by OzzyKP; 2016-08-29 at 04:27 PM.