New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Midnight Jubilee:

As the sun sinks beneath the horizon and darkness falls over the land, a brilliant beam of blinding yellow light shoots forth from the clouds above, blasting an enormous scorched crater into the grounds of Outside. Moments later, as if by magic, a shimmering respite from the gloomy surroundings materializes within the crater in the form of a sprawling maze of garish tents, joyful shouts, and sumptuous smells. Where once was silence is now filled with raucous, brassy tunes, cheerful and playfully spooky, intermingled with the sound of child-like gaiety and laughter which cuts through the cold wind.

All around the multicolored maze, creatures from across thousands of realities begin to materialize, ever eager to attend this years midnight jubilee, one which promises to be its largest yet. Beings of all shapes and sizes squeal with delight and gasp in awe of the sights, sounds, and smells of the interdimensional carnival. Carnies clad all in an extravagant yellow uniforms topped with glittering white masks guide travelers to and from attractions, while animate carnival dolls and straw constructs operate the rides which stretch out across the carnival grounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fireworks Show: Precisely twenty minutes after the carnival appears, the beautiful and enigmatic Ringmaster Maive will make her introductory speech and fire a flare up into the sky, one which officially starts the spectacular magical fireworks show which kicks off each and every midnight jubilee.

Rides: The midnight jubilee boasts of an impressive collection of mechanical carnival rides, many of which have been greatly augmented through magical means. Dare to brave the dizzying heights of the Titan's Wheel, the largest ferris wheel ever to be featured at a carnival, or relax aboard Mr. Sathelbry’s Steamboat, an underground ride which takes a gathering of individuals across the underground lake below the carnival, or enjoy countless others during your stay!

Sideshows: Enjoy dozens of displays and menageries from across the planes of existence, many of which feature unusual contraptions, dazzling performers, cursed items, and other fascinating artifacts! Many of which are even available for purchase! Sideshows include; Wonders of Engineering, Ale Throughout the Ages (featuring samples), Menagerie of Monsters, Cursed Collections, Oddities and Illusions, as examples, as well as an enormous amount of classic stuff, sword-swallowing, fire-eating, juggling, etc.

Games: Nearly every imaginable carnival game can be found within the midnight jubilee, along with other, less common forms of entertainment, including a wand-based firing range. Gambling is fully permitted within the grounds of the midnight jubilee, and as such, many games of chance can be played.

Pleasure Pavilion: Within a private demiplane located within one of the larger tents, all manner of sins and vices usually considered socially unacceptable can be freely enjoyed by visitors interested in experiencing the depraved pleasures contained within the intoxicating demiplane, as well as the famous jubilee burlesque show.

Murder-Mystery: Starting after the fireworks show, the midnight jubilee acting troupe will put on a murder-mystery of sorts, wherein a member of the troupe will have been found mysterious murdered in as realistic a fashion as can be experienced! Clues have been scattered about the carnival grounds, and the first visitor to successfully "catch" the killer wins the grand prize!

The Performance: At the end of the night, all are welcome to attend the performance a brand new play called "The Masque", written and performed by the official midnight jubilee acting troupe!

NOTE: The enormous brass gate into the carnival is currently closed, but shall open momentarily! Individuals interested in attending ought to gather outside under the "Greeting Grounds - Midnight Jubilee" tag.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-09-04 at 08:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Midnight Jubilee:

Greeting Grounds

Two blue-skinned people appear from a shimmer in midair, a man and a woman. They both have long, dark purple hair, the man's pulled into a ponytail and the woman's hanging loose. He wears red robes with gilt edging and a red and gold mask in the shape of some alien canine, while she wears a long black gown covered in swirling silver patterns, and a similar mask to his, but in black and silver. She stands a couple inches taller than him, but only because she's wearing high heels. The blue man is currently complaining about something, and the woman is trying to reassure him. "Oh c'mon!" She says, "It'll be fun! You just need to lighten up a bit. Go talk to some people, who knows what'll happen? Maybe you'll meet some girl you like?" "You're my sister, not my mother. Stop pestering me about my love life." "You mean your lack thereof? Anyway, they're doing some kind of murder mystery puzzle for a prize, and I thought you might be interested in that.""Fine, I'll check it out." The pair wait outside the gate.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Post [Greeting Grounds]

A sleigh pulled by flying reindeer swirls down to the jubilee and comes to a stop in the gathering place outside the gates.
    The driver, Leah, has a costume resembling a griffin. A bird mask with dark lenses over the eyes, fake wings over a feathered coat, dye to make her lower body's fur lion gold, and a bit of extra fluff for the end of her tails.
    And her passenger- well, we'll get to him.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2018-09-05 at 02:32 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Greeting Grounds

A pale young woman approaches the waiting area. Her hair is even with her jaw, white, and looks kind of like strands of fiber optic cable. Her eyes are pure white. No iris or pupil to be seen. She's wearing torn looking jeans, sneakers, a red tube top, and a denim jacket. She's also carrying a canvas backpack.

In her hand is a flyer for the event. She has no mask because she didn't know one was required. She could probably buy one inside, though.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

[Greeting Grounds]

Leah's partner has a costume of a dragon, with a dark scaled coat, a horned mask, and dye to make his fur the same color as said coat. It's matched quite well; only the different material gives it away.
    "So, what's the plan for the night?" Mist asks Leah, leaning on her arm.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Greeting Grounds

Natalie arrives! She's a fourteen-year-old girl wearing a black knee-length dress with faint stars, also black, set into the material and a pair of muddy white trainers. Slung over her back is a battered red rucksack. She wears a wide-brimmed pointed hat also marked with black stars on black. She's wearing a creepy-ish mask, in that it covers her whole face, except for two holes for her green eyes to peer through, and it's made of a mirrored plastic, so her face reflects her surroundings. Her hair is shoulder-length and black.
    Last edited by Earl of Purple; 2018-09-06 at 03:03 PM.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Greeting Grounds

A figure awkwardly walks up to the gates, and waits for them to be opened. Their movements are jarring and awkward, as if their limbs are controlled by strings and a clumsy puppet master guides them. There are in fact no visible strings, but the movement is very puppet-like. Awkwardly placing a hand in a pocket, they bring out a mask and put it on. It appears to take several attempts, as if the movements are not yet fine tuned.

The figure appears to be made of wood, with a painted mouth and painted eyes. The eyes and mouth do move, but it is very disconcerting to look at. Its wooden joints move smoothly, but are plainly visible; it is as though it was made by a fine craftsman.

It is clear to be a female figure; she has woollen strands of long brown hair and is wearing a simple green top and black skirt. They appear to be hand stitched.

Her carved wooden feet are plainly visible as she wears no shoes; each toe has been painstakingly carved and the nails are painted on in red paint. The puppet-girl looks around, through the mask, at the assembled people outside the gates.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

[Greeting Grounds]

Accompanying Natalie is a much shorter but somewhat older goblin girl. She's wearing a long skirt with a loose vest and a shawl wrapped around her neck. On her face is a mask that resembles a full, face-concealing knight's helmet. Her bright orange eyes peer through the openings, and the mask does little to hide the long goblin ears.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #9

Default [Greeting Grounds]

"We're going to have fun!" Leah insists. She knows she's not very good at that.

"We'll see the monsters and magic, play games, ride the steamboat, watch the fireworks, you know. "
    "Probably we'll avoid the murder mystery because it sounds like it might include actual murder."

Maybe she should be concerned about that.

"Excellent puppet costume." She comments to one of the other folk milling about near the entrance.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Greeting Grounds

'It's not a costume' mumbles the puppet-girl.

Her white mask hides it, but her painted mouth is flat on the surface of her face, its painted lines moving as she speaks. Probably a good thing she has a mask on now, it's kinda creepy to look at her painted face.

The puppet girl is standing still, and after a pause decides to introduce herself.

'My name is Melanie'

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Midnight Jubilee - Greeting Grounds:

At that moment, the enormous brass gate leading into the carnival proper creaks open on its own, leaves rustling in the wind as it turns. Just inside, a small army of daring fire-eaters, dazzling jugglers, and masked magicians materialize in neat rows which lead deeper into the area, each one offering a wide smile towards the enormous gathering of individuals just outside. As throngs of people begin to pour into the carnival, gaiety and laughter cut through the cold wind, rich with the scent of cotton candy, caramel popcorn, and other circus treats. Children squeal with delight and gasp in awe of the sights, sounds, and smells of the Midnight Jubilee, while adults look on in wonder.

Across the carnival, The Titan’s Wheel creaks and groans as it comes to life, multicolored lights flashing as the glowing eyes of the pair of enormous clown-like figures carved into its base animate, looking over the crowd far below and smiling widely as they hold up the wheel. Across the central area, a burly orcish man tests his might with a hefty spin of a strength-testing game, an excited family rushes madly towards the into the sprawling maze of game-tents to the north, and dozens of hungry carnival-goers purchase delicious sweets and hot snacks from multicolored carts arranged in a circle around the central area, their paths illuminated by eerie floating candles.

Elsewhere, crooked, colorful signs advertise numerous sideshows, the path flanked by ornate cut-outs of freakish creatures designed to spook and impress while glowing lanterns beckon the curious. Across the way, garish skirts and scanty veils call others to a different breed of voyeurism altogether, wonders of a different sort to be found within the pleasure pavilion. Treats and wonders abound for young and old to enjoy, and for a time the woes of reality are forgotten in joyful revelry, if the warm expressions upon the faces of the carnival-goers are anything to go by.

--

The main attraction of this center area appears to be some sort of makeshift stage set up, one which appears to currently be the focus of some sort of puppet show where carnival dolls are handed to wide-eyed townsfolk fortunate enough to be allowed to participate. Hundreds of comfortable chairs have been organized here, and a rocket-shaped sign contains a timeline of sorts, one which states that the famous fireworks show which generally occurs around the opening of the carnival is to occur in less than ten minutes!

A ticket booth manned by an animate straw figure offers conversions of currency to tickets, and the chairs are filling up fast.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-09-06 at 04:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Ticket Vendor

The two blue people approach the ticket booth. "Two seats please." The woman says, reaching for her coin purse. The man looks grumpy, although it's hard to tell through his mask.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #13

Center Area

Krystal glances around a bit as she makes her way towards the ticket booth. She recognizes a few faces, but she can't place any names.

She gets her tickets for the main show, then decides to search the stalls for a mask. After a short while, she finds a simple domino mask colored pale blue. That seems like a standard superhero mask to her. She buys it, puts it on, and makes her way to the seats.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Central Area

"Oh, wooow. Where do you wanna go first, Iknika? Everywhere's so tempting. Like a strawberry dipped in chocolate." Natalie looks around at it all, tempted by... Everything, with nothing capturing her attention long enough to draw her in... Though Natalie does vow to herself to go on the Titan's Wheel at least once. Her mirror-clad face doesn't stop for a moment, watching the orc, then the family, then the Wheel, then getting a glimpse of the Pleasure Pavilion's advertising, then spying a juggler...
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

[Central Area]

"It's really difficult to pick just one thing," Iknika says by way of agreement. Her ears doip downwards, a sure sign of her wonderment despite the mask. "Maybe we can just circle around the whole place for now?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

[Greeting Grounds]

"Oh, well pick a place to go first then! Oh, hi!" Mist says, looking between Leah and the puppet-girl. People in the nexus sure are odd.
    "Uh, are you just going to leave my parents at the door?" he asks.

"Oh of course, dear! That's what you do with your vehicle, don't worry about us and have fun!" says Mrs. Anders cheerily.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The puppet girl looks around, and begins to wander around, looking at everything in wonderment. She seems awestruck by the sights and smells of the carnival, and is now oblivious to those around her, focused on the lights. Melanie is especially taken by the jugglers, the way they juggle with ease.

She wishes she had as much control over her body as the jugglers have over theirs.

Melanie could easily be approached, and spoken to. Her arms rest gently at her sides, she does not seem so scary now she is part of the crowd. But she can just as easily be left alone, her attention occupied by the wonders around her.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Oh! I'm so sorry."
    "Ah, I'm Leah, and this is Mist."

Leah introduces herself to the puppet girl, but then lets her go. What an embarrassing mistake that had been.

The Anders were welcome to join in the carnival festivities. But Leah expected that they wouldn't.
    "Let's go see the Menagerie!" she suggests, taking Mist's hand to lead him across the fairgrounds.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #19

Central Area

On her way to the seats for the fireworks, Krystal notices the strange looking puppet girl. Now there was something she hadn't seen before. She adjusts her backpack a bit and heads over to the strange girl.

Well hey there, she says as she approaches. Enjoying the jugglers?

Krystal has a simple, pale blue domino mask on. The rest of her outfit looks like regular street clothes.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Central Area

On her way to the seats for the fireworks, Krystal notices the strange looking puppet girl. Now there was something she hadn't seen before. She adjusts her backpack a bit and heads over to the strange girl.

Well hey there, she says as she approaches. Enjoying the jugglers?

Krystal has a simple, pale blue domino mask on. The rest of her outfit looks like regular street clothes.
    The puppet girl's body is facing slightly the wrong direction, but rather than turn to face Krystal, Melanie responds without moving (almost as if she is not in control of her movement).

'Hello. Yes, they're very talented. I wish I could juggle like that.'

As she speaks, her body finally 'catches up' and she turns to see who greeted her. Melanie the puppet girl is smiling, warmly. It looks a bit scary on her painted face though.

21. - Top - End - #21

[Central Area]

Krystal is used to odd looking faces. Her own is a little off, with her not having any visible pupil or iris in her eyes. She's actually kinda curious how the paint is moving.

Yeah, that'd be kinda cool to show off at parties.

She extends out her hand towards Melanie, offering it to shake. Name's Krystal. Nice to meet you.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

[Central Area]

'I'm Melanie. Nice to meet you too.'

Melanie extends a carved wooden hand, it takes her concentration to do so. It is apparent that whatever puppet master controls her, she fights it at times; she shakes Krystal's hand, with some effort.

Melanie's hand is made of wood, as is the rest of her. Her fingers are jointed, so she does have a good range of movement in them. But some of Melanie's actions are jerky and seem uncoordinated, as if the one who pulls the strings isn't very adept at doing so.

(Just to note, Melanie is wearing a white mask; her eyes are still moving and visible beneath it. It is apparent that her face is a flat surface with painted on details.)

23. - Top - End - #23

[Central Area]

Krystal is extremely pale. Could almost pass as albino. Her knuckles have a lot of scars on them. Maybe she punches things a lot?

So, I'm curious. Are you actually a puppet? Like, is somebody else controlling you?

She sounds genuinely interested.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

[Greeting Grounds-> Menagerie of Monsters]

Mist nods and lets himself be pulled along. His parents pull Leah's sled aside to a spot away from the traffic of the other patrons and staff.
    "Do you really expect to see anything you haven't before?" Mist asks Leah. She's been around quite a bit, after all.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

[Central Area]

Several moments pass as the sea of excited carnival-goers slowly disperses, the sheer size and bulk of the crowd proving too much for the ticket booths surrounding the enormous central area. As such, several animate straw golems painted in a dizzying array of bright colors wheel in small, multicolored wagons which support rickety podiums tacked together from pieces of apple crates. The small army of raggedy, mobile ticket booths swarm about the entrance to the carnival, more than making up for the overwhelming throng of visitors. Eager-faced fairgoers cram about them, gleaning wonderment from spooky posters promising stilt-walkers, terrifying rides, and all manner of freaks and sideshows.

In addition to the stream of enlivened visitors, a crowd of unwashed beggars shielded from the cold by nothing more than tattered rags huddle by the entrance to the carnival, pleading with passersby for a few meager coins or a bit of food to see them through. Many are children or old men and women fallen on hard times, while a smaller number appear to pour souls left crippled by a horrible bout with plague or pneumonia. Rich merchants, clad all in the yellowed silk of the carnival, turn a blind eye to the haggard indigents, pretending not to see or hear them at all, while crueler patrons snarl, guffaw, or even kick at the unfortunate souls as they stroll into the carnival to spend their coin on games, shows, and other frivolities.

--

Finally, a majority of patrons have claimed seats before the central stage, looking about in anticipation as the fireworks show draws near. The show begins with a literal bang, as sparkling yellow smoke suddenly bursts forth from beneath the small puppet stage at the central area. The smoke remains for quite some time, flickering in the light like a flame, before a figure appears in the air in a cloud of sparkling yellow mist! The figure appears to be an extraordinarily attractive woman with long, blonde hair and pale, wintry skin. She is clad in what appears to be a yellow ringmaster's uniform, with a long cloak draped over her shoulders which sparkles with sequins and yellow jewelry.

With a wide smile upon her face, she produces a magic wand, which she then gestures towards the smokey stage. She waves the magic wand through the air between two dainty, gloved fingers before twirling it about through the air like a performer's baton, before blowing a kiss to the crowd. Immediately after, the smoke upon the stage clears, revealing an enormous booth absolutely loaded with fireworks of all shapes and sizes, as well as a plethora of colorfully dressed firework technicians. The crowd cheers and gasps in awe at the stage before them, a reaction soon accompanied by a speech of sorts from the woman in yellow, an individual which many will now recognize as the Ringmistress of Midnight, the enigmatic individual in charge of the carnival.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages! Welcome to the fabulous Midnight Jubilee! Tonight, here o'er carnival grounds, right before your very eyes, a fabulous array of acts have been assembled for your delight and delectation! Jest with our jaunty jugglers, cry with our cavorting clowns, marvel at our magnificent magicians, give a bravo to our brave balancers, hold your breath at our handsome high-fliers, and demand an ovation from our very own troupe! All this and more before the night is out!"

"Without further ado, I bring to you, the fireworks show!"

--

At that, she vanishes in a burst of sparkles and light, and the fireworks show begins!

[Monster Menagerie]

As fireworks burst into breathtaking displays of fire and light up in the sky, a muscular individual with leather, sunburnt skin and a tall, feathered cap opens wide a large green tent. The man and his attendants begin to collect tickets from curious passerby, and once several tickets have been exchanged, admission is earned.

The archway leading deeper into the tent is curtained with black chains and metal rings, from which hang the hands of many species—exotic animal paws, humanoid hands, and skeletal fists.

With a knowing grin on his face, the sunburnt man calls out to the crowd gathered.

"Enter, if you daaaaare!"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2018-09-08 at 11:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

[Central Area]

Melanie nods at Krystal. Yes, she is a puppet with invisible strings. She is somewhat distracted from the conversation by the show. She watches the show and fireworks with awe.

Perhaps to continue the conversation, Melanie might need to be nudged - she wouldn't mind it, and is generally easy-going about such things...

It is as though Melanie hasn't seen things like this show before, and is quite overwhelmed.

27. - Top - End - #27

[Central Area]

...huh. Krystal isn't exactly sure how to respond to that. Luckily, a distraction has started!

Krystal also watches the fireworks with wonder. Unlike Melanie, she's seen them many times before. But, she loves them every time anyways.

Melanie may notice something odd about Krystal's hair here. It seems to be reflecting the light of the fireworks way more than normal hair should.

Then she notices the green tent.

Hey, Melanie. Wanna check that out? She points over to the tent.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

[Central Area]

Melanie notices. 'Your hair is pretty. Yeah okay.'

Melanie will follow Krystal to the green tent.

29. - Top - End - #29

[Central Area]

*blinkblink*

Huh. That was out of the blue.

Uh...thanks? I like yours too.

And then they're off to see some monsters!

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

[Central Area]

(Melanie's hair appears to be made of wool. Weird!)

Melanie is excited to see monsters!!!