New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 2: Electric Boogaloo

Below Elephant Rock

Well, that's what happens when you go to a temple based on an animal, visit their sacred Crucible, and conduct a sacred ritual.
    Really, Isaac did weird things to himself.

"Uh, yeah. I guess we do." he says, going to move next to Lucas and put an arm around him in a brotherly fashion.
    "If you wish you can stop into town, as I said. Though...you're not quite what they'll be expecting. You might wish to consider changing."
    Isaac thinks about that, looking down at his MENACING t-shirt. "I guess my clothes are a bit odd for an official appearance."
    The grandmaster starts. "Right, that too. I have some spare robes if you'll give me a moment." he says, winking out of existence.

"We didn't...do you want to stop by the town, Lucas?" Isaac asks.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #602
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Below Elephant Rock]

Oh man, brotherly hugs.

This is great! Goes perfect with sibling-style teasing. But Lucas has got to focus on the here and now rather than the fact that he's really truly got a friend now.

"He sounds p-pretty set on it," Lucas reasons. "I guess we should go? Robes are probably okay."

He isn't sure about that 'not what they were expecting' comment, though.

"What do you think he meant? About you n-not being what the villagers expect?"

Lucas is imagining the previous champions being wise old sages or big burly warriors of some kind.

Isaac really isn't either of those things.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

Below Elephant Rock

Isaac looks embarrassed again.
    "Well, uh, he sort of explained to me what he thinks I'd be able to do with the Temple's blessing and stuff and so I think he would want me to use my new power. It's uh, kind of dumb but it works. He said it responds to danger so I guess you'd have to punch me or something." he admits.
    This does seem a little familiar. But Isaac isn't green.

4. - Top - End - #604

[Below Elephant Rock]

Lucas laugh aloud.

Not the typical sort of 'lol' one types when finding a comment vaguely silly, but an actual honest to goodness laugh.

"Did they give you Hulk powers?" he asks, his tone full of mirth. "Are you sure it's a good idea? I might not like you when you're angry."

Because what else would you say in response to someone gaining the ability to Hulk out?

Not make a reference to Bruce Banner's catch-phrase?

What kind of nerd do you take Lucas for?

As soon as Lucas is sure Isaac is trying to formulate a reply, he'll aim to rap him on the noggin with his stick. Not particularly hard, but it would still sting.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Below Elephant Rock

Isaac sputters a little, but he's clonked on the head before he can reply. Or, sort of. It's hard to tell exactly if Isaac swells up into a nine-foot tall elephant-person just before or at the impact, but either way he makes a loud trumpeting noise with his suddenly large noise as he grows to his new size in under a second. He's just as pale and blond as before, though he doesn't really have as much hair to make the latter obvious. Lucas might know enough about biology to note that his hands are four-fingered but he has three toes per foot, which is an African elephant trait. Odd given their surroundings. He'll certainly note Isaac's build, bulky without being actually fat or particularly muscular.
    Lucas will certainly note this because the only things Isaac owns that are enchanted to change size are his glasses and the gifts he got from the Trials, so our poor hero is standing among a pile of tatters with just bracelets, glasses, and a now long-handled mallet. He quickly scrunches up and tries to cover himself with his hands, giant ears reddening.
    "Lucash! You wuh shupposed to wait until I'd gotten out of my clothesh!" he whines in a somewhat deeper voice, only having a little bit of trouble talking through the tusks and the trunk attached to his lip.

6. - Top - End - #606

[Below Elephant Rock]

And how does Lucas respond to this auspicious development?

He doubles over laughing.

Of course.

How else is he supposed to respond?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Below Elephant Rock

Isaac's ears get no less red at the reaction.
    "Lucash! Come ooon!" Isaac moans, though he can't help but feel that he'd be doing the same. Probably.

The Grandmaster presently appears from the shoulders up from the floor.
    "I sent an acolyte for your robe-oh, dear. You didn't wait for the clothes did you?" he says, coming out fully and laughing at poor Isaac's flight. It's a bit odd, as despite laughing his body doesn't really move the way you'd expect. Probably because he doesn't really have gravity or inertia affecting him.
    "Well I can't really help with the robes still on their way, but I can probably whip you up a minor miracle..." he says, scrunching his face and pointing at Isaac-!
    Who suddenly gains a pair of bright red boxer-shorts with white polka dots while the ghost becomes noticeably more translucent. "You call this a miracle?" grumps the loxodon, but the ghost simply shrugs. "Don't expect fashion from someone three hundred years dead. Be happy I know what those are."

Isaac grunts in acknowledgement and sets down his hammer to turn his sights to Lucas. "Now. You." he says before trying to get Lucas in a headlock so he can torment him mercilessly for laughing at him.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [World of the Lynx, the Kestrel, the Tiger]

Though in truth 'tiger' isn't quite the perfect animal-word for Message. She was never more than a leopard until the combination of Pat's and Mist's magics made Leah how she is. Oh well.

Koshal should appear here, in the crystal rainforest part of the land, full of not-quite familiar animals. His weapons and armor (and shadow-dog), fetched from their safe places in the Fort, should have come along. He looks as knightlike as can be, doesn't he?

Message is here before him. Things are easier here. Even grown in Grammar as she is, even in her own temple, it wouldn't do to throw magic around. But on this world-laboratory-archive, no such limits hold. The goddess appears in a new form: a woman of Koshal's species (more or less), a tall minotauress marked with all those signs of Alkania and her charities. Fur striped (black and white), two tails (a bit long), two sets of broad sharp horns, those shimmering golden claws, solid-color eyes blazing so bright one can see the glow from behind the sunglasses, the Sword that Koshal once offered up held loosely, point down in the earth (not good practice, but this one will keep itself sharp).

"Welcome."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-05-01 at 02:54 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Message's World

Koshal shakes his head. Magical transportation gives him the heebie-jeebies. He gathers himself and bows to Message. Her form leaves him conflicted. He's happy to see someone like him besides his uncle, but it also makes him a little homesick. He decides that it's ok since she looks nothing at all like his mother. She was red, stout, and didn't have that trademark thing of having two of things that Message has. How odd, having two tails and four horns. They look nice on her though. Like a crown. And such shiny claws! Faye leans against Koshal pleased, glad to see her mother again.

"H-hello, Ma'am. Nice to see you again." he sputters out.

10. - Top - End - #610

There is no return bow, but Message does nod.
    "Of course. Hello Faye. Have you been a good dog?" Of course she has. "Nice to see you, Koshal."
    "Your dedication to your oath is admirable. It will help your understanding to meet with my other Charities. They are not knights like Lady Leah, but there is still much to learn from them."
    "First, however, I have a mission for you."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Message's World

Faye barks, giving Message a very complicated answer from hundreds of little events over the last few months. To Koshal it's the bark of a very smart dog whose tone he can recognize as a yes. To everyone else it's is a bark.
    Koshal for his part, salutes formally.
    "You can count on me, Ma'am. Say the word. I am your sword. " he declares.
    Not to be confused with her Sword, which Koshal is not.

12. - Top - End - #612

Although perhaps he could be, one day.

Message hears all that Faye is saying in that answer and smiles. Message is proud of her.

"Although this is my domain, there are things that have been here since I first arrived. But since then, nothing has come here that I did not bring: creatures, people, new lands. Until recently. A visitor has appeared. You are to go find out who, how, why. And if necessary, drive them away."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

The World of the Lynx, the Kestrel, the Tiger

Koshal nods. "What sort of thing would they be doing for that to be necessary? If they're just here to observe or speak to you is it ok?" he asks. He hopes he won't have to fight anyone.

14. - Top - End - #614

"Well, if they are just lost or looking for me, show them here. Observers are not welcome."
    How would you feel if people showed up unannounced in your home to 'observe'?
    "Head north, towards the sun. You'll know when you find them, I think."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

[Wold of the Lynx, the Kestrel, the Tiger]

That is a fair point. Koshal considers this.
    "Well, ok, just point me to the right direction, than." he asks the goddess.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2017-05-01 at 09:37 PM.

16. - Top - End - #616

The goddess nods and points. Must be that way.

And presumably off Koshal goes.
    The land is a little hilly here, up and down, curling into caves and odd spires that catch the wind. The creatures avoid him. In the distance there's what looks like a domed city? Or maybe just a giant soap bubble? When he looks again, it's gone.
    After a few minutes he comes upon a place that seems broken, something's torn through the area. A storm? A monster? The ground is scuffed by the mark of broad, cloven hooves.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

[World of the Lynx, the Kestrel, the Tiger]

Koshal frowns at this but is undeterred! Faye sniffs at the prints and tries to catch the scent so she can track the creature. If she's unable to do that Koshal will have to try to follow the trail the old fashioned way.

18. - Top - End - #618

There's no reason Faye can't pickup the scent of the...wild boar? Something like that.
    It was a little while ago that it was hear, but as they follow it, it seems to be wandering, backtracking, not going anywhere in particular. It shouldn't be long before they find it in a little clearing, where a fallen tree has opened up the canopy and the crystals flourish up towards the sky.

The beast is big, its fur blood red, its proportions...slightly wrong. Even for its species it looks brutal, primeval. It doesn't seem to have noticed our heroes yet.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

World of the Lynx, the Kestrel, the Tiger

This is most definitely not one of Lady Message's creations. She doesn't have anything that's red, except Koshal himself and Faye (and both of them are red-ish). It has one head, one tail, and isn't even slightly a fox, the one exception to that trend he's noticed. So this thing's going to have to go! Koshal draws his sword as quietly as he can and then gives Faye the signal. She fastens her jaws on Koshal's leg as gently as she can and folds them into the shadows of the trees, emerging from the boar's shadow right beside it.

Koshal hopes he can bring his blade down on the boar's neck and sever its spine in a single surprise attack. Perhaps simply shooting it point-blank would be more effective but he doesn't think his gun is very knightly and he prefers to do things the traditional way.

20. - Top - End - #620

The boar seems to hear the sword being drawn, looking over into the undergrowth - but the squire he's looking for is gone. Puzzled, it starts walking over and - slash!

The thing takes one more halting step as its spine is split, sways, and collapses. If it could breathe, it would cry out. The beast's eyes fall closed, and it vanishes. Only the blood on his sword and the ground, and the hoofprints scattered about attest that it was ever here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Message's World

Koshal blinks. That can't be it. He wipes the blood from his sword and looks around. There must be something else.

22. - Top - End - #622

Isn't that what success is like? A nagging feeling that it can't be this easy?

Looking around reveals nothing. At first. But after a minute of looking about, he might spot the boar (or another, identical, one) coalescing out of wisps of silvery light and stepping out from behind a crystal pillar. It has no sign of its previous fatal spine injury. It surveys the clearing, a bit dazed.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Message's World

Koshal unslings his rifle, and takes aim. First he tries firing at the boar's head, then at the pillar. He hopes its made of fragile enough Crystal for a rifle bullet to break it.

24. - Top - End - #624

The boar speaks, a high melodic woman's voice that's really nothing like you would expect a moderately giant primeval boar to have.
    "Oh, it's you again. Have you gotten smaller in your trip through the desert?"
    "Oh, wait? You're not the same. And I don't know him an-"
    It's interrupted by the bullet grazing its brow, drawing a trickle of blood but inflicting no real harm. Its eyes narrow and it paws the earth, preparing to charge.

The top of the crystal growth, on the other hand, explodes in a most gratifyingly shattery way, sending sharp sparkling shards here and there, one or two of which stab into the monster's side. If Koshal was hoping to topple the thing over onto the boar, it's a bit too fragile for that.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

World of the Lynx, the Kestrel, the Tiger

"If you're smart then please leave. You're invading my Lady's world and breaking her stuff." Koshal declares at the she-boar.

26. - Top - End - #626

Faye might be able to tell him, from the scent, that the beast is a 'he'. It just has this voice.

The words seem to...at least distract it.
    "Not safe. Have to keep moving."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ogre in the Playground

Message's World

"No, you need to leave. Go back to the world you came from or I'll shoot again." Koshal yells, trying to be intimidating.

28. - Top - End - #628

"Came from?"
    It seems to have made up its mind, and charges towards Koshal, head lowered, ready to throw up its tusks and send him flying.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

[World of the Lynx, the Kestrel, the Tiger]

A charging animal is one of the first things they teach you how to fight in tactics. You wait as long as possible, then you jump to the side and attack. Koshal attempts to demonstrate this drill that he's practiced a hundred times, even if his rifle isn't the best weapon to use in close quarters.

30. - Top - End - #630

Well, that's what the bayonet is for, right?

The beast thunders on past him, crashing into a tree at the edge of the clearing. Koshal's attack lands, but barely seems to slow it down.
    "Who sent you?" He grumbles, a tone of confusion in its voice.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine