New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A silly theory about V's gender

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    I think the evidence is pretty clear: Vaarsuvius is
    Spoiler
    Show
    True Neutral
    Oh really?

2. - Top - End - #962
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    I think the evidence is pretty clear: Vaarsuvius is
    Spoiler
    Show
    True Neutral
    That is so hot.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Perhaps V doesn't think guys making out with guys is wrong. I still like the idea that he and Inkyrius are both guys, and that's why their progeny are adopted. but I still think Kyrie's female, I just like the idea.
    I don't think V cares about human gender. It is so uninteresting to V that it can't possibly be a source of humor if a human's gender changes, a scandal if any given pair of humans is making out, or a factor in solving relationship problems. V clearly knows that it matters to humans, and does care if Haley's feelings are hurt, but since it doesn't contribute to arcane power, it is not a subject worth an elven wizard's time to pursue.

4. - Top - End - #964

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnywolf View Post
    I too have a silly theory, based on the following observations:

1) Kyrie has a typical "male" body shape (rectangular, not rounded).
    2) Vaarsuvius, when talking to Quarr about the need to rescue his children, uses the phrase "adopted progeny" - so they are not his own children.

Which makes me think that K and V can't have children on their own, and why would that be?

Because V is male, too!

Of course, it's not conclusive evidence, but I think it's likely. Did anybody have the same theory before? (Probably)

I liked that theory for a while, but V's megalomaniacal romp put me off of it: the Villainous Crossdresser trope is just too lame for OOTS. I still think Kyrie is male (body shape), but I'm back to thinking V is female. Of course, V is the opposite of "camp", so maybe that trope doesn't apply, leaving the door open ...

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Adopted progeny" does in no way indicate that Kyrie and V are the same gender, there are different reasons why they don't have kids of their own

Spoiler
    Show
    a) One of them is simply sterile, happens all the time with humans too

b) A close friend/relative to them died and they took in their children

c) All elves are born by a single elf-queen, and then distributed to the other elves to raise them.

d) Elves actually have three sexes, and need the third one too to make kids. But they haven't found the right one yet, so instead adopted the children

e) Maybe the female one simply didn't want to go through the pains of birth

f) V and Kyrie aren't really married yet, but believe in "no sex before marriage", which makes getting kids of your own hard.

g) Uhm... ok i'm running out of reasons now :)
    Last edited by Morquard; 2009-06-14 at 02:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    c) All elves are born by a single elf-queen, and then distributed to the other elves to raise them.

d) Elves actually have three sexes, and need the third one too to make kids. But they haven't found the right one yet, so instead adopted the children
    You should have saved the humorous ones for last.

7. - Top - End - #967

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnywolf View Post
    2) Vaarsuvius, when talking to Quarr about the need to rescue his children, uses the phrase "adopted progeny" - so they are not his own children.

Which makes me think that K and V can't have children on their own, and why would that be?

Because V is male, too!
    I mentioned this in another V thread:

The logical converse of a true statement is not always true.

Example:

Statement: If it rains, it's cloudy. - True
    Converse: If it's cloudy, it rains. - Sometimes false.

Therefore:
    Statement: If they are the same gender, they'll have to adopt kids. - True
    Converse: If they have to adopt kids, then they're the same gender. - Sometimes false.

Meaning the pairing of V and whatever-their-name-is does not necessarily mean they're a homosexual couple, simply because they have adopted children.

I say this in defense of many adopted children out there and the people who have taken them in, as well as many more children waiting for an adoptive parent who don't need the additional stigma of "you only do it if you're gay."

There're already enough negative stereotypes about adoption in modern culture already.
    Last edited by skim172; 2009-06-14 at 02:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #968

V is a Xi'Dec in disguise. We can now guess which of 180 genders is he.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This is the one I think is most likely, because in elf years they both seem rather young. True, they could have just really wanted children, but it would make sense if they adopted the kids because someone they knew died and the kids suddenly needed someone to look after them, and K+V felt that were up to being parents (Kyrie more than V, maybe? ).
    This post may contain sarcasm.
    DeviantArt

10. - Top - End - #970

AssassinGuy

"Adopted progeny" does in no way indicate that Kyrie and V are the same gender, there are different reasons why they don't have kids of their own

Spoiler
    Show

f) V and Kyrie aren't really married yet, but believe in "no sex before marriage", which makes getting kids of your own hard.

Here's some of mine:

Spoiler
    Show
    i) Elves are born genderless out of mystical magic fountains.

ii) Elves live in three stages of life - in the first, they're blind mice-like larva, the second, the mobile organism, and third, a giant tree which produces the larva. The second stage, therefore, must take care of the tree progeny.

iii) V and K are simply too chic to go through with traditional pregnancy and decided to adopt, as it's the current hot trend among married elves.

iv) The oppressive elf dictator denounced the children's parents and had them executed. V and K took in the children, along with their singing nanny, and escaped to the mountains in a grand musical feature.

v) The children are actually refugees from a magical island where kids never grow old, recently taken over by a homicidal pirate who has just slain their adolescent, green-stockinged, cult-like leader.

vi) They're "adopted" (air-quotes), in order to escape detection by Immigration and Naturalization. The real parents work as domestics in V&K's cottage.

vii) They were left in a small basket at the door with a small, shakily-written note, "Please. I can't take care of them. I know you're good people. I'll back for them someday." And V&K grudgingly let the children into their hearts, knowing deep in their soul that someday, they'll lose their love once more.

viii) The children are the descendants of a close family friend, their mother slain by an evil warlord. The father left the children with them many years ago, as he's off to seek the magical weapon which will destroy their mother's killer. When asked, he simply said, "It's something I gotta do" and stared off into the sunset grimly.

ix) Robots

x) Magic radiation renders you sterile.

xi) V (or K) cheats on their spouse regularly and so takes pills to prevent pregnancy.

xii) V&K actually hate each other deeply and the thought of touching each other turns their stomach.

xiii) K is actually the Frog Prince/Princess/Non-gendered Royal Family Member turned human, but unfortunately, he/she/it still has froggy DNA incompatible with elf cells.

xiv) Certain elves have that Benjamin Button thing, where they grow younger as they age. The kids are actually V&K's grandparents, but in order to fit in among the normal elves, they pretend they've adopted.

xv) V(or K) got pregnant off a dirty affair and "adoption" is the cover so they don't have to tell the neighbors.

xvi) The kids were kidnapped by V and K who're fattening them up to cook in a bubbling stew.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

My money is on a malfunctioning Belt of Masculinity/Femininity. V's gender is indeterminate because it actually changes every couple of days due to some quirk in the belt's magic.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

xvi) The kids were kidnapped by V and K who're fattening them up to cook in a bubbling stew.
    Obviously a pie not a stew; Kyrie is a pastry chef.
    DeviantArt

13. - Top - End - #973

[QUOTE=Morquard;6288731a) One of them is simply sterile, happens all the time with humans too

[/QUOTE]

These two are actualy ones I'm willing to go with as I truly think V is female. The various other theories about adopting because of 'parents that where their freinds death' in all the various flavors workfor me, although where the singing nany from tha tone theory might have went is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    If the players figure out and try to stop this from occuring, the wizard instantly crafts a HUGE mound of quarterstaves and clubs to obscure himself before teleporting out.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zolem View Post
    These two are actualy ones I'm willing to go with as I truly think V is female. The various other theories about adopting because of 'parents that where their freinds death' in all the various flavors workfor me, although where the singing nany from tha tone theory might have went is beyond me.
    reference to The Sound of Music.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/images/oots0009.gif

Here, they call him "V-Man".
    And Reena Inverse is so flat, that being a girl, she could pass as a boy.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 73 Bits of Lint View Post
    My money is on a malfunctioning Belt of Masculinity/Femininity. V's gender is indeterminate because it actually changes every couple of days due to some quirk in the belt's magic.
    Finally de-lurking to mention that this is officially my new favorite theory as to V's gender. No idea why.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    I mentioned this in another V thread:

The logical converse of a true statement is not always true.

Example:

Statement: If it rains, it's cloudy. - True
    Converse: If it's cloudy, it rains. - Sometimes false.

Therefore:
    Statement: If they are the same gender, they'll have to adopt kids. - True
    Converse: If they have to adopt kids, then they're the same gender. - Sometimes false.

Meaning the pairing of V and whatever-their-name-is does not necessarily mean they're a homosexual couple, simply because they have adopted children.

I say this in defense of many adopted children out there and the people who have taken them in, as well as many more children waiting for an adoptive parent who don't need the additional stigma of "you only do it if you're gay."

There're already enough negative stereotypes about adoption in modern culture already.
    OK, just to clarify two things:

I didn't say that my theory was logical. In fact, I branded it silly, and I pointed out that it's not conclusive evidence. I still hope that some people at least cracked a smile at it just because of its weird argumentation. And I know that there are several other reasons for adoption.

Which brings me to the second point: I wasn't making fun of anyone - not gay people, not adopters, not infertile couples. My wife and me had been trying three years for a child of our own, and only when we started considering adoption ourselves our daughter decided to honor us with her presence.

So, if anybody feels offended, I apologise. If you want a mod to remove my post, go ahead
    Still waiting for O-Chul to begin a sentence with "Clearly, the Gods want me to..."

If you read this for the first time, add it to your signature and think of a number. I will try to guess it. Psionic experiment.

18. - Top - End - #978

Nuff said

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

I just want to put my theory out there that there are two types of elves that appear in the comic, and you can tell them apart by their ears. Ones with ears like V are all ambiguous, and so cannot be compared to the other type, who aren't ambiguous. I'm now off to look through the comic for actual proof...

Larger ears:
    #169 (And he doesn't have the ambiguously placed eyes that V and Inky have.)
    #196 Lirian.
    #611 This one possibly disproves my theory, since the body is ambiguously shaped, although the position of the eyes is definitely female.

Smaller ears.
    #254 Well one of them, anyway. However he's only a half elf and is clearly male.
    #629 All three of them, although the kid's ears look slightly bigger, more like how V's ears looked during the splice.
    #630 Do we actually know that 'Dari is male? "Master" could be gender neutral for elves and V doesn't use a pronoun.
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2009-06-17 at 11:24 AM.
    DeviantArt

20. - Top - End - #980
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Souhiro View Post
    Here, they call him "V-Man".
    They?

Is Roy's gender ambiguous now? Has Celia been notified of this?

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Or... Rich doesn't want us to be able to use Kyrie's gender (if he ever decides to reveal it) to determine V's. This allows him to give them kids without clearly defining V's mate as the same or a different gender.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

Sheriff of Moddingham: Once again, I have merged a half-dozen V's gender threads in here. Please use existing threads rather than starting new ones!
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Which just raises more questions since V was implied not to be a virgin.

Unless you just can't use your own blood for some reason, or it needs to to be ritually collected...
    DeviantArt

24. - Top - End - #984
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think that V is a girl for the simple fact that i doubt there would be a rogue traveling alone with 5 other guys.

25. - Top - End - #985

Quote Originally Posted by Origomar View Post
    I think that V is a girl for the simple fact that i doubt there would be a rogue traveling alone with 5 other guys.
    Well, Haley chose V as her roomate in that inn, but that just means Haley feels safe with V, not necessarily that V is female (and the same reasoning may apply to traveling with them). I do think Haley knows V's actual sex, however.

26. - Top - End - #986

Not only that...

Elves are know for not being interested in girls (90% of half-elves are born by rape)
    V is married, so it would be a non-dangered thing
    And lastly, the facial hair of elves issue.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skorj View Post
    I do think Haley knows V's actual sex, however.
    Especially since not once have we actually seen what she thinks V is.
    Last edited by Zanaril; 2009-06-17 at 04:20 PM.
    DeviantArt

28. - Top - End - #988
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Souhiro View Post
    Not only that...

Elves are know for not being interested in girls (90% of half-elves are born by rape)
    This is either a house rule of a DM you've played with (possibly yourself), or a joke.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    Or... Rich doesn't want us to be able to use Kyrie's gender (if he ever decides to reveal it) to determine V's. This allows him to give them kids without clearly defining V's mate as the same or a different gender.
    Umm... Kyrie's already clearly male.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with Kyrie being male. And oddly, it's because he is given stereotypically female personallity traits.
    DeviantArt