New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1516
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

I know I'm late to this. (Heck, I'm flat out late with joining the forums here period!) My two cents has always been that V is a she.

My reasoning: Strip 123 where V and Haley are being overheard by the guys next door. I also like to think it keeps with the Giant's tendency to break stereotypes such as a Chaotic Evil Ranger as a protagonist and a Lawful Good Paladin as an antagonist. Killing the (seemingly) main character for an entire book. It seems that a power hungry female elf would be something that breaks the mold of what I think of as typical for fantasy settings and elves. Of course, that's probably more my perception than anything else.

Now watch, I'll end up completely wrong and look like I have feet in my mouth if/when V is revealed to be a guy!
    Last edited by Shadoww0lf; 2010-07-31 at 07:27 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Orc in the Playground

When I first started reading the strip, I assumed V was male. I was actually surprised when I found out that people were confused by his gender. And when Inky got involved, I saw her as female. Their children also both appeared to have clearly established genders to me. In general, I just always thought of them that way. That's the way they look to me.
    Ain't no party like a Donner Party, 'cus a Donner Party don't stop 'til we run out of children.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    V seems to have a female personality. Strong feelings for family,
    Are you aware of how sexist that is?
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbreath View Post
    Yes, but I assume that it doesn't apply to high elves.
    Why not?
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Star View Post
    Are you aware of how sexist that is?
    Seconded. I really don't like the assumption that caring for your family is a female personality trait, it's offensive.

As for my two cents, I've always seen V as female, it's just what I assumed when I began reading, and nothing has come along to force a change of view for me.

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Orc in the Playground

Hooray for unwaranted sexism!
    Ain't no party like a Donner Party, 'cus a Donner Party don't stop 'til we run out of children.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    V seems to have a female personality. Strong feelings for family.
    Oh yes, very strong feelings for the family. Panel 3 and 4. Or did you mean positive feelings?

And yeah, that was a really sexist statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

It does seem like about 75% of the reasons why people think V is whichever gender comes down to sexist nonsense.

To be honest, I have no idea why I keep clicking on this thread. I know full well that V's sex will never be revealed and I'm perfectly happy with that. I myself have no opinion either way and I have no interest in finding out what everyone else's are.

Just rubbernecking, most likely.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2010-08-01 at 08:07 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    It does seem like about 75% of the reasons why people think V is whichever gender comes down to sexist nonsense.

To be honest, I have no idea why I keep clicking on this thread. I know full well that V's sex will never be revealed and I'm perfectly happy with that. I myself have no opinion either way and I don't care what everyone else's are.

Just rubbernecking, most likely.
    I disagree, I think it's really based on what they immediately think of when they see him.

Is there a word that means the opposite of Devil's Advocate?

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMac04 View Post
    I disagree, I think it's really based on what they immediately think of when they see him.
    I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thread then. Or the three that came before it.

Devil's Opponent? Angel's Advocate?
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2010-08-01 at 08:11 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Orc in the Playground

I'm guessing you haven't read the whole thread then. Or the three that came before it.
    Nah, I'm lazy like that. So okay, changed my mind, people suck. Oh well.

Devil's Opponent? Angel's Advocate?
    I like Angel's Advocate. It's got a nice ring, and alliteration never hurt anyone.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

There is such a role as "God's advocate".

But since his (it's always a he) role is to argue with the Devil's Advocate, it might be seen as a self-defeating position to take in this context.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    There is such a role as "God's advocate".

But since his (it's always a he) role is to argue with the Devil's Advocate, it might be seen as a self-defeating position to take in this context.
    Good thing I'm too stupid to care!

Oh hey, didn't we have a topic at some point....?

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh hey, didn't we have a topic at some point....?
    Right you are.

*clears throat*

I think V is a woman because he wears a dress.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Orc in the Playground

Right you are.

*clears throat*

There was some much conflicting logic in that sentence that I think I just lost a brain cell.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I can name at least 3 guys I know that wear dressed, deary. And that's called a "robe" that V wears.

I've always thought that V was male. Just looking at him in the first panel of the first comic made me think "Ok, so there's the Elf Wizard and he's casting a spell."

Let's not get on to what I think of Elves and Arcane magic as a sterotype and how the fluff of the Elves makes me think Druid rather than Wizard and how I hate every example of Elf Wizards except V whom I love.
    I return!

Currently working on my own game heavily influenced by D&D 3.5 and PF. All of it is OGL material. The finished version will be released on PDF at some point.

Looking for people to add random fluff to my setting. PM me if you are interested.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rin_Hunter View Post
    I can name at least 3 guys I know that wear dressed, deary. And that's called a "robe" that V wears.

I've always thought that V was male. Just looking at him in the first panel of the first comic made me think "Ok, so there's the Elf Wizard and he's casting a spell."

Let's not get on to what I think of Elves and Arcane magic as a sterotype and how the fluff of the Elves makes me think Druid rather than Wizard and how I hate every example of Elf Wizards except V whom I love.
    Awww....damn.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Awww....damn.
    Are you an Elf Wizard, by any chance?

I hate them as a concept, not individually, I suppose it would be better to say.
    I return!

Currently working on my own game heavily influenced by D&D 3.5 and PF. All of it is OGL material. The finished version will be released on PDF at some point.

Looking for people to add random fluff to my setting. PM me if you are interested.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Orc in the Playground

Are you an Elf Wizard, by any chance?

I hate them as a concept, not individually, I suppose it would be better to say.
    Yeah, I like elves because I've never really understood why someone would want to roleplay a human. You already are a human, I assume, so I never got that. To each his own, I suppose. And wizards are just cool.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Halfling in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

Taken from TheJet31619
    Ok, I'm going to show my points of why V is a female. One, V hangs out with Haley. And V could be the girlfriend of Haley that she shares her secrets with V. Two, V loves to drag out speeches. Most to all females love to talk and seem to never stop, you should hear my girlfriend *::). (That's not a bad thing, I still love you sweetie :-*) And in "On the Origins of the PCs." and when V breaks the table, Roy says that V is hired. And V says "Bah!! You are clearly only hiring me because I intimidated you intellectually, to the point where your masculine *pride requires you to establish your dominance over my superior mind." *Because a lot of women feel that they are smarter men and that men have dominance over them. So with that, V must be a female.
    Brilliant!!!

Jet, you're a genius

V says '... your masculine pride ...' insulting males, which means if she was male she would be insulting herself. And I think that V has way too much pride in herself to ever do that.

Therefore, V must be FEMALE!!!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I just failed a spot check.
    ... And a listen check

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't worry about it now,
    worry about it when needs to be worried about...

... WHEN IT'S TOO LATE TOO DO ANYTHING!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

Laeranu Tarnomin
    The Elf Sorceror

Awesome elf sorcerer avatar by fizzybobnewt

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Laeranu View Post
    Brilliant!!!

Jet, you're a genius

V says '... your masculine pride ...' insulting males, which means if she was male she would be insulting herself. And I think that V has way too much pride in herself to ever do that.

Therefore, V must be FEMALE!!!
    Actually, I think it's less about male and female and more a jab at the way male humans' minds work.

While there appears in OotS to be no gender divide between aggresiveness in males and females, V is assuming that Roy follows standard human rules and that the males will always try to be the best and most aggresive, keeping themselves on top.
    I return!

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, I think it's less about male and female and more a jab at the way male humans' minds work.

While there appears in OotS to be no gender divide between aggresiveness in males and females, V is assuming that Roy follows standard human rules and that the males will always try to be the best and most aggresive, keeping themselves on top.
    V just thinks humans are stupid.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

V just thinks humans are stupid.
    More to the point, he thinks that humans (and probably other races) act on more basic instincts than higher thoughts.

Because Elves are racist.
    I return!

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Orc in the Playground

More to the point, he thinks that humans (and probably other races) act on more basic instincts than higher thoughts.

Because Elves are racist.
    Elves are probably justifiably racist in most settings. Most of the time, the elves just ARE better.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Elves are probably justifiably racist in most settings. Most of the time, the elves just ARE better.
    Dragons are justifiably racist. Elves are not.
    I return!

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Orc in the Playground

Dragons are justifiably racist. Elves are not.
    Probably not in the OotS world, no. In a lot of other settings, they are. But here, the elves are humans are pretty much on the same level, as far as we know.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't try to guess V's gender, since I know it's all just a joke. (although, I thought he was male all the way up to the part where Nale called him a chick) However, I just have to post this:

In the second-to-last panel, it seems that V isn't surprised that "Elan" (Nale) was making out with the police officer (Sabine) - he was just a bit annoyed - possibly implying a homosexual overtone? Again, I have no personal view on this since it's all just a joke by Rich, but if you want to use this strip for your arguments, go ahead.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by guolin View Post
    I don't try to guess V's gender, since I know it's all just a joke. (although, I thought he was male all the way up to the part where Nale called him a chick) However, I just have to post this:

In the second-to-last panel, it seems that V isn't surprised that "Elan" (Nale) was making out with the police officer (Sabine) - he was just a bit annoyed - possibly implying a homosexual overtone? Again, I have no personal view on this since it's all just a joke by Rich, but if you want to use this strip for your arguments, go ahead.
    I'm pretty sure that most people who think that V is male also think that Inky is male... So, yeah.

All in all, V's attitude toward homosexuality doesn't mean much for his own sex. Maybe Elves are just very accepting in the way that most humans aren't.
    I return!

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Orc in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that most people who think that V is male also think that Inky is male... So, yeah.

All in all, V's attitude toward homosexuality doesn't mean much for his own sex. Maybe Elves are just very accepting in the way that most humans aren't.
    Not me, but I'm an idiot.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Not me, but I'm an idiot.
    You think Inky is female? I honestly saw male instantly.

Side-note: At least we're kinda back on topic
    I return!

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Orc in the Playground

You think Inky is female? I honestly saw male instantly.

Side-note: At least we're kinda back on topic
    Yeah, totally. When I first saw her, I imnediately thought that it was over. V was clearly male to me, and Inky was clearly female to me. Maybe I'm just weird.