New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1516
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Star View Post
    It's the virus that turns creatures into Zombies from Resident Evil. At least the films and first few games. There's something else in RE 4 and 5.

Then i don't see what it has to do with V's gender.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Then i don't see what it has to do with V's gender.
    *Shrugs*

Neither do I, really. Though sometimes it does mutate the victim into a sexless bio-weapon.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

They're so round...

It appears if you put it to a vote to the boys, it's 3-to-1 for V being a girl. Roy's the only one who isn't wearing the universal male expression of "omg lesbians HAWT!!"
    Rakshasa Sorcerer 5

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by La Chatte Noire View Post
    They're so round...

It appears if you put it to a vote to the boys, it's 3-to-1 for V being a girl. Roy's the only one who isn't wearing the universal male expression of "omg lesbians HAWT!!"
    Well V DID imply it in the conversation, and up until that point they didn't neccesarily think 'omg lesbians hawt' might've just been 'omg topless girl hawt'
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-09-18 at 08:41 AM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html Just the fact that Varsuvius didn't agree with Sabine gives me reason to believe he's a dude.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html Just the fact that Varsuvius didn't agree with Sabine gives me reason to believe he's a dude.
    Where, exactly, was the line where he disagreed? >.>

Yes, i believe V's male (mostly because of the voice i imagine for him/her) but really... he never disagrees with her there.

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Doomboy911 View Post
    Why?
    Whatever sex Inkyrius is, Varsuuvius loves her/him most ardently and would never ever consider to compare her/him to a pig.
    Therefore, a female V. would have no reason to agree to "All men are pigs".

That V intends to use arcane power to fight for Kyries love is, however, a hint that (s)he may be male. That's a male logic. However, since the author is male, that doesn't prove anything.
    Last edited by Themrys; 2010-09-30 at 04:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Probably male.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Bugbear in the Playground

well Vaarsuvius didnt disagree. She just said that he wasnt the most qualified to comment on gender traits. Its highly likely that in elven society Males do no act differently than females (which actually might be the trump card that could put the entire Gender debate to death until we get some real evidence, but oh well)

and Themrys that all depends on the temperment of the person and how much they care for them :P
    http://www.complexactions.com/archive/110.shtml
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Why?
    Whatever sex Inkyrius is, Varsuuvius loves her/him most ardently and would never ever consider to compare her/him to a pig.
    You seem to be assuming they're not a lesbian couple.
    Last edited by Kish; 2010-09-30 at 10:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Barbarian in the Playground

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Varsuuvius is male, but due to the elves' inability to distinguish between the sexes at all, he married Inkyrius, another male. See, for example, V's inability to tell that Roy had been turned into a woman by the belt of gender changing.

Therefore, V isn't actually homosexual -- or heterosexual. Like all elves, he married someone who he was attracted largely to by chance, with no idea whether Inkyrius was male or female. He still doesn't know what gender Inkyrius is, and Inkyrius has no idea what gender V is.

When neither of them got pregnant, they decided to adopt, but neither is sure why the other didn't get pregnant. V knows he himself is male, but he has no idea which sex his mate is, and vice versa. Like all elven relationships, it's pretty much a roll of the dice whether one of the spouses starts producing elflings or not.

Even then, of course, they're not entirely sure that their spouse is a woman, and could care less.

That's my theory, anyway.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have always perceived V as male and for a long time, I couldn't really see how there could be any doubt. Then I introduced someone at work to OotS and they always saw V as female. And I started reading the forums and saw these debates.

I ended up deciding that the Giant was better at this than I thought. But to me, V is still male.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    You seem to be assuming they're not a lesbian couple.
    I fail to see how on earth you managed to draw that conclusion given that his/her gender was always paired with the opposite one in that particular sentence >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Swordpriest View Post
    My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that Varsuuvius is male, but due to the elves' inability to distinguish between the sexes at all, he married Inkyrius, another male. See, for example, V's inability to tell that Roy had been turned into a woman by the belt of gender changing.

Therefore, V isn't actually homosexual -- or heterosexual. Like all elves, he married someone who he was attracted largely to by chance, with no idea whether Inkyrius was male or female. He still doesn't know what gender Inkyrius is, and Inkyrius has no idea what gender V is.

When neither of them got pregnant, they decided to adopt, but neither is sure why the other didn't get pregnant. V knows he himself is male, but he has no idea which sex his mate is, and vice versa. Like all elven relationships, it's pretty much a roll of the dice whether one of the spouses starts producing elflings or not.

Even then, of course, they're not entirely sure that their spouse is a woman, and could care less.

That's my theory, anyway.
    ... Swordpriest wins. Have a cookie
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-10-01 at 07:17 AM.

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm just posting because I just now realized I opened this thread three and a half years ago.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-10-02 at 05:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I think V is.... an intersexed individual. Which itself actually covers a lot of possibilities.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Orc in the Playground

I think that gender ambiguity is just a very strongly developed cultural trait among High Elves in the StickyVerse. I think that it's very interesting, in line with the whole "above the common races" attitude, and creates another very sharp contrast between them and the drow(who have VERY strong gender roles).
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2010-10-05 at 09:50 PM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

New poster here with reply number 1337. (unless I get ninja'd) I swear this was not intentional.

When I was introduced to OotS a few weeks (or so) ago, when the newest comic started with "I got drunk and converted religions," I started reading from square one and always assumed Vaarsuvius was female at first.

The first indication was the abbreviation, "V." I know a lot of people with names starting with the letter V, but only the females I know ever seem to take on "V" as a nickname. My friend Vivienne? Yup. My cousin Vincent? Refuses to go by anything other than Vince.

Second, the fact that V and Haley share hotel rooms. Kind of a minor detail, but the fact that Haley chose to share a room with V would lead some to believe V is female, since women are usually not so quick to share rooms with men when they don't have to, if only for feeling more secure while asleep and the lack of staring while changing.

However. I then noticed multiple characters refer to V as "he." This was before I read the FAQ about V's gender and saw "if they state a gender for V, it's that character's observations." So I started to think of V as male. Inkyrius appeared more feminine than V at the time, as well, which really set "V = Male" in deeper for me.

However, given the confusion about V's gender, is Kyrie's appearance even a valid basis for determing V's? Typically in fantasy settings, male elves have a beauty and grace to rival female humans, after all. The only way to tell would be the body type but oh right, robes and stick figures.

However, I needed something, no matter how silly, to validate V's gender, for myself. So back to the whole mate thing, I believe V is female again. Why? First off, Inkyrius has a manlier shirt than V's robes (and yes, one can look manly in robes.) Second, the flashback to the kids being away when V passes up a romantic dinner to study magic. Most men wouldn't be so quick to pass up hopping into bed for the sake of books, am I right?

So there's my reasons, as silly as they are, for why I'm LEANING female... but I might be wrong.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Pixie in the Playground

Tomboy?
    OR.......
    Spoiler
    Show
    V has on a belt of masculinity/feminine so it changes every strip!!!!
    Lol Jk.

"Hard work may pay off in the long run but laziness always pays off now." - Elan the Bard

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranylyn View Post
    Second, the flashback to the kids being away when V passes up a romantic dinner to study magic. Most men wouldn't be so quick to pass up hopping into bed for the sake of books, am I right?
    That depends. V is a wizard and seems to love studying......

"Hard work may pay off in the long run but laziness always pays off now." - Elan the Bard

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Second, the fact that V and Haley share hotel rooms. Kind of a minor detail, but the fact that Haley chose to share a room with V would lead some to believe V is female, since women are usually not so quick to share rooms with men when they don't have to, if only for feeling more secure while asleep and the lack of staring while changing.
    This argument has been brought times and times again, and has been replied times and times. In this very thread. There are many reasons why V and Haley would room together even if V is a male.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    This argument has been brought times and times again, and has been replied times and times. In this very thread. There are many reasons why V and Haley would room together even if V is a male.
    Of course. I did state it was a minor detail, and thus easily dismissed. There are infinitely more reasons to room with V as opposed to Belkar, for instance, regardless of gender. If I really wanted to make a serious analytical case about V's gender, it would need to wait until morning. I had a long week and need rest.
    You Are A:
    Lawful Good Human Fighter (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 17
    Dexterity- 18
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 18

http://easydamus.com/character.html

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I'm just posting because I just now realized I opened this thread three and a half years ago.
    This is kind of what I'm after to make one of my forums last forever like this. Most of the ones go to the hundreds but not much after that. So one day I'll make one that lasts longer than order of the stick.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Lets take the invisibility joke in which Varsuvius turns invisible to avoid belkar from learning his identity. Now say a guy goes up to check a chick's stuff out, this would probably offend them and considering how V acts when offended (see explosive runes) I think a guy would mess with another guy (by turning invisible).

And the kiss has probably been mentioned a few times as a guy wouldn't like to be kissed while a girl would be mildly annoyed. When I saw him I figured it was a dude the clothes looked feminine but hey he has purple hair red isn't that big a thing.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

New poster here with reply number 1337. (unless I get ninja'd) I swear this was not intentional.

When I was introduced to OotS a few weeks (or so) ago, when the newest comic started with "I got drunk and converted religions," I started reading from square one and always assumed Vaarsuvius was female at first.

The first indication was the abbreviation, "V." I know a lot of people with names starting with the letter V, but only the females I know ever seem to take on "V" as a nickname. My friend Vivienne? Yup. My cousin Vincent? Refuses to go by anything other than Vince.

However. I then noticed multiple characters refer to V as "he." This was before I read the FAQ about V's gender and saw "if they state a gender for V, it's that character's observations." So I started to think of V as male. Inkyrius appeared more feminine than V at the time, as well, which really set "V = Male" in deeper for me.

However, given the confusion about V's gender, is Kyrie's appearance even a valid basis for determing V's? Typically in fantasy settings, male elves have a beauty and grace to rival female humans, after all. The only way to tell would be the body type but oh right, robes and stick figures.

However, I needed something, no matter how silly, to validate V's gender, for myself. So back to the whole mate thing, I believe V is female again. Why? First off, Inkyrius has a manlier shirt than V's robes (and yes, one can look manly in robes.) Second, the flashback to the kids being away when V passes up a romantic dinner to study magic. Most men wouldn't be so quick to pass up hopping into bed for the sake of books, am I right?

So there's my reasons, as silly as they are, for why I'm LEANING female... but I might be wrong.
    Or they're a gay couple who decided to adopt. And V DOES state they are adopted.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know if it's been pointed out, but according to Deities and Demigods, Corellon Larethian appears as an androgynous elf. Just thinking that that may have been a point of inspiration for V's ambiguous gender...

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    I don't know if it's been pointed out, but according to Deities and Demigods, Corellon Larethian appears as an androgynous elf. Just thinking that that may have been a point of inspiration for V's ambiguous gender...
    I doubt it considering Corellon doesn't exist in this universe as far as we know =/

Extended Sig

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

Well yes, I was simply suggesting that Rich got the idea from Corellon. It wouldn't surprise me as it appears that he's read through every supplement book out there...

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Well yes, I was simply suggesting that Rich got the idea from Corellon. It wouldn't surprise me as it appears that he's read through every supplement book out there...
    I remember hearing reading somewhere that Rich originally planned for V to have a gender but after realizing how ambiguous it was to his readers he chose to continue the ambiguity as a running gag.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2010-10-09 at 10:05 PM.

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere as well. I believe he was originally intended as a male, but the way he was drawn left him open to interpretations. (Please disregard my use of the masculine pronouns)

As an aside, I think of V as a male and generally refer to him as such. Though this is primarily due to my initial reaction to V's personality and Roy calling him "V-man" pretty early on. It wasn't until much later that I even realized that there was a debate about the topic. I acknowledge that V could be female as easily as male, but I choose to think of him as a male.

Random note: I find it interesting that we say "male" or "boy" but not "Man", because "Man" implies human...

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Why don't we just end the debate with this: we have three groups, group A refer to Varsuvius as the V-man (those are the people who think Varsuvius is a guy) than we have group 1 who refer to Varsuvius (the people who think she's a girl) and than we have group gold who refer to Varsuvius as Varsuvius (that's the people who don't know,care or think he's androgynous) Everyone's happy.