New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Proving Grounds [IC; Andreas]

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2go
    For the past few days, all the tavern chatter has been about is "adventure" this and "treasure" that, and today is no different. Taking the only empty seat at the Shadow's Blood Tavern in Stonesong, you hear the people to your left whispering about some treasure map they supposedly acquired, while the one on your right is loudly telling to anyone who will listen how he tried and failed to make his fortune in the mountains. Pointing above, at the mounted Kitka claws above - three foot, razor sharp blades of bone - he shouts, "I saw one of those! Straight north-east, in the mountains. Nearly soiled my pants, I'll tell you what!"

The few paying attention to the obviously drunk man jeer and laugh, and the bartender laughs with them as he refills his mug with somewhat weaker ale. "Should've killed it! We could've opened a new branch in Woodsrow and Kallkin!" You vaguely recall hearing that another part of the same Kitka mounted here was put in a sister bar in Heartrock, but the exact piece escapes you. Still, it's interesting news - Kitka sightings are extraordinarily rare, and taken very seriously. Only one other confirmed case has been reported in the past decade.

The bar chatter continues, with a few people offering drinks to you as they recognize your distinctive build. You hear of an expedition group moving west of Heartrock, going straight up the river into the mountains, and another going into the mountains due north, supposedly returning when a trap killed three of eight. The most relevant news, though, is rumor of a firebreathing monster in the forests to the west. Some hypothesize it's a dragon, while the more level-headed list off other fiery monsters it could be, and warn against foolishly chasing a potential dragon's treasure. Either way, it could be dangerous - even if it isn't a dragon, setting fire to the forests would likely drive herbivore populations down, while most monsters would survive and potentially be driven to hunt closer to the city.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    How long do you want to hang around? It's been, lets say two hours into the night (after sundown). You've got work in ten hours or so.

Also, if you want me to go into detail in any of the conversations, just ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz
    As he is offered drinks, Andreas accepts them with a thankful smile, although the half-giant is sure to not order any further, even if his massive size would have him need far more if only to make him barely tipsy. However, the news about a firebreathing monster in the nearby forest is potentially troubling-as is, Stonesong doesn't need further problems; and acting early could prevent any further issues. Thus, he remains for another hour listening to the talk about the creature in the forest; to see what direction to take about it come the next day.

((OoC: I believe Andreas's Leadership score gets up to 10, which nets him 5 followers. I'd like them to be the fighter-type, as Andreas's subordinates in the city guard)).
    After about half an hour, conversation begins leading away from talk about the fire breathing monster, but from the information given, it sounds like people have only caught glimpses of it. One person says he heard it was green, blending into the forest and killing before anyone really knew it was there. Another says it was red and huge, crushing trees and people alike.

The next morning, a report gives you a perfect opportunity to investigate the creature. A small fire broke out in the forest nearest the city, and guards have been running water over and hacking at trees to create a fire break, to moderate success. As you and a few other guards run in, you hear a few whispered words of arcane power from above, and then, the whispered words, "go deeper into the woods if you want your subordinates to live. I'll be a fair judge."

Spoiler: Followers
    Show
    You qualify for all the + leadership things, so you're actually at 8 followers. They are all lieutenants (Fighter 1), each with their own guards you don't directly control (4-6 warriors). You are by far the strongest guard captain (the others are Fighter 3, Fighter 4, and Fighter 4/Barbarian 1), but you've never been considered an option for the more frilly, bureaucratic roles above. However, your sway among them is huge, and you basically do what you'd like.
    "Looks like we've got company." Andreas send such a mental message to Liara over her collective. "Everyone, keep pushing forward! Eyes on the forest, don't get too confident in our numbers!" Focusing on a nearby tree, the half-giant took a moment to focus, and swung with terrible might at it with his psionically-charged weapon!
    ((Liara's collective only has Andreas in it as of right now))
    The tree comes crashing down in a single swing, causing the group to cheer, sure that they will clear the area with your help. The voice returns, saying, "I hope that was only keeping up the act, and not an attempt to catch me..."
    At the group's cheering, the half giant heartily rose his greatsword to the sky, roaring with encouragement for his fellows. As his subordinates got back to work, Andreas gave a look upwards, as if saying to the voice in the trees: "Both of us are better than that." ((Taking 10 on Bluff to send a secret message, for a result of 25)). While the warder had charged his first attack, more would be wasteful, and thus instead relied on Liara to finish down with her hammer any trees his sword wouldn't completely slash through.
    "Hmph. I warned you..."

As you chop down another tree, a blur of green drops to the ground with a crunching thud, landing in the fire break. With a cacophonous roar, it blasts the nearby area with acid, which you barely dodge. Your suboordinates are less fortunate - One of them, caught in the blast, falls to the ground, limp, lifeless, and melted beyond recognition, while many of them panic at the sight of such a mighty being. "Hahaha, yes, cower before me!"*

Spoiler: OoC, Results
    Show
    *Draconic

You take 14 acid damage. This is a surprise round, where both you and Liara can act. He's landed 10 feet away from you, and I suppose 50 feet from Liara? The acid breath was a 40 foot cone and has melted one random guard. Each of eight guards within 120 feet is Panicked. You're unafraid, but Liara is Shaken.
    ((I assumed Liara would be within 10 feet of Andreas as the two were working within the same tree(s), which would grant her a +2 to will saves from Andreas's Aegis bonus. If this makes her not shaken anymore, then add a +2 to the Aid Another check I'll be rolling on the dice roller thread immediately afterwards)).
    As the dragon fell from the trees, Liara roared to encourage her fellows, sending a further boost of precision towards Andreas. The half-giant then pounced upon the dragon, slamming the being with a barrage of attacks.
    ((Liara will use Encouraring Roar as a swift action, giving all allies within 30 feet of her a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. Additionally, she will use Aid Another from a distance onto Andreas, giving him a +3 bonus to his next attack. Andreas will use Psionic Lion's Charge as a swift action, allowing him a full attack upon charging, and do a standard action charge. I checked the paizo FAQs, and a standard action charge+ a pounce effect does allow a full attack upon completion. He will also charge his weapon before each attack, dealing an extra 2d6 damage per hit and burning a point of PP with each hit as well(charges are preserved when an attack misses). On his first attack that hits, he will use his Armiger's Mark, causing the dragon to take a -6 penalty to his attack rolls if he attacks someone that isn't Andreas and taking a 14% Arcane Spell failure chance. The mark lasts 4 rounds.))
    Spoiler: OoC/Results
    Show
    Ah, okay. Continuing here. For future reference, it's probably best to put the results, or a link to the dice roller, in your PM.

You hit once. I don't think you have a bigger threat range than the standard 5 feet (No Defensive Focus set up, no reach weapon, medium size), but take AoOs if you get them. It double-moves away with no other actions, so its starting square isn't threatened.

With a surprised snarl, the dragon is sent reeling by Andreas's first mighty swing, which cleaves through its scales and leaves a deep chest wound. It beats its wings to disengage, narrowly avoiding a second swing and flying away.
    Oops, forgot Zweihander Sentinel's Defensive Reach. You get an AoO.
    As the dragon tried to move away, Andreas unleashed a Vital Strike at it! ((Using Seize the Opportunity. Also, since my second attack missed, sword should still be charged-Again, if the dragon was threatening another ally from its starting position, +2 to attack/damage. Also, a landing position would be nice for Andreas's turn.))

AoO attack roll
    (1d20+18)[22]
    AoO damage roll
    (14d6+20)[76]

EDIT: The attack should've been a +15, not +18.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-06-23 at 12:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Proving Grounds [IC; Andreas]

Flying far out of your reach, the dragon's disembodied voice whispers at you again. "Surprisingly strong... but that won't save you." It disappears into the woods, and you lose track of it in the distance.

Shortly after, the other guards come to their senses, and return to you. They seem to have varying degrees of fear of relief apparent on their faces - One especially close guard loses his lunch in a bush. For now, it seems you've done your job - the fire is contained, and the dragon has fled. Still, its words make you think that this is nowhere near over, and its return will be sooner rather than later.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Hide (1d20)[10]
    Perception (1d20+17)[20]
    Sense Motive (1d20+17)[36]

Show
    Nothing happens for at least a minute. You lost track of the dragon at about 200 feet away, right after the first round.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-24 at 02:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Andreas cursed, his miserable swings having allowed the dragon to get away, and then started checking how many of his subordinates had died. In the meantime, Liara started mentally linking the most wounded allies to her collective and healing them as fast as she could. (Liara has 19 PP, and can heal 4 HP per PP spent, she will prioritize those that are unconscious/closest to death and then those that are only barely conscious, adding and removing more of Andreas's subordinates as needed given her limit of only 3 additional people in her total collective.).
    "Well, there was a dragon in the forest, just not of the firebreathing kind. Those of you that had healing potions, make sure to give them to those that may urgently need them!" The half-giant decided to let his subordinates catch a break and gather the corpses of the dead, or what remained of them for proper burial; while he himself finishes any trees that still need to be cut. Andreas also made a mental note to have the guards double up, as the dragon was more than likely to come back; as well as to have the town guards reccomend any adventurers to prepare some means of acid resistance if they were going to the forest. He'd rather go and hunt the dragon down before the beast caused any more havoc, but one couldn't really track a flying creature, and trying to the dragon's lair would be foolish.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-06-24 at 03:56 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A quick headcount reveals that, mercifully, only the one subordinate perished, and the others are mostly uninjured, save for the burns caused by fleeing through the trees. The group rests, seemingly relieved, and watch from a distance as you finish the fire break to ensure the flame does not spread.

However, as you cut the furthest tree, you feel a prickle on your skin as the air around you shifts. Whipping around, you see that the dragon is flying at you at a breakneck pace, somehow silently pushing branches aside as it speeds forward, a green glow building in its mouth. As it nears, the glow predictably blossoms into a stream of acidic gas, melting a huge cone of wildlife, though you avoid the brunt of the blast. As the gas clears, you have a brief moment to react as the dragon's mouth closes and it passes overhead...

Show
    (1d20+17)[21]
    (1d20+15)[17]
    (1d20+4)[10]
    (1d20+4)[21]
    (1d20+9)[15]
    (8d6)[35]

Spoiler: OoC/Results
    Show
    Three people healed for 4 PP (treated for burns) and added to the collective. The dragon is 40 feet directly overhead. Everyone else is at least 60 feet away.

You take 17 acid damage.

It's your turn in the surprise round.

Also, I should mention - While I spent a bit of extra time deciding on the dragon's decisions this time, if I ever take more than 48 hours to respond without me PMing you to mention I'm going to be delayed, feel free to remind me. Managing this many solo games at once means I make mistakes and forget things irritatingly often, so I'm happy to be reminded
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-26 at 01:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

((Liara will have dropped the first person she healed, then, leaving the latter two in her collective.))
    As he took damage, a quick mental message resulted in healing energy being transmitted to the half giant through the collective, and in a burst of psionic power, Andreas quadrupled his size, the dragon now in reach of his now gargantuan blade, as he roared: "You think you are safe in the skies?"
    ((Liara will burn 6 PP to heal Andreas for 24 hp as a free action, enter Sleeping Goddess style as swift, and use her move action to recover her psionic focus. In the meantime, Andreas will enter the Iron Tortoise Style as a swift action, and then manifest Augmented Expansion as standard, expending 7 PP to grow to a Huge Size. His AC is now effectively 22. Quadrupling his size means he should be now at 33'4" of height, which, with a 20 foot threaten area, means the dragon should now be within his reach.))
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-06-26 at 06:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Yep, you can reach the dragon. With poor maneuverability, I'll call it two provokes of AoO (three squares, but first is nonprovoking)

Frantically pulling up, the dragon exposes itself for several seconds as it attempts to pull out of reach of the now very giant half-giant.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-26 at 10:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

((Unless it's two move actions within my reach, I believe the dragon would only provoke once. It doesn't provoke once per square, but once per move from each enemy, so if it leaves two of my provoked squares in a single move, it still only provokes once. Also, last attack missed so weapon is still charged))
    As the dragon tried to ran away, the titanic Andreas tried to take his enemy out! ((Vital Striking via Seize the Opportunity. 6d6 plus two size increases jumps to 12d6, doubled from Vital Strike.))
    Attack roll (1d20+16)[31]
    Damage roll (26d6+12)[85]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Huh. You're right, that must've been a houserule somewhere I thought was RAW...

Show
    (1d4)[3]
    (1d20+9)[29]
    (8d6)[34]

With a single mighty blow, you open a huge bloody fissure in the dragon's underside, running from neck to hind leg, and send it flying several meters off course. You notice now that the wound you inflicted earlier seems to have been reduced to a jagged scar, forming a gruesome X with the new wound. The dragon shakily continues to climb, then begins to turn back towards the ground, as if approaching for another pass.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-26 at 06:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

As the dragon prepared itself to swoop down, Andreas took a defensive position, fortifiying his surroundings! Liara, in the meantime, spent more psionic power to heal herself, moving towards the half-giant and roaring in encouragement!
    ((Andreas will activate his Defensive focus, increasing his threatened area by 10 feet in all directions and turning it into difficult terrain. Afterwards, he will activate his Intruder's End counter, allowing him to teleport within his threatened area to make attacks of opportunity and teleporting back, effectively allowing him to get to the dragon while it's mid-air if it enters his extended threatened area(plus a +2 circumstance bonus on attack rolls for AoOs). Liara will burn 4PP and her psionic focus to heal herself for 16 hp, then move 30 feet and from there use Encouraging Roar on Andreas, giving him a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls for the round. She will then recover her psionic focus, recovering the Encouraging Roar maneuver as part of it.))

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    So, 30 feet total threat. I feel like I'm missing something, though - Defensive Focus normally only turns the ground into difficult terrain when you hit level 10, and doesn't provide teleportation, only that you "may move as part of these attacks of opportunity, provided her total movement before her next turn does not exceed her speed". Do you have some ability that changes this?

Either way, 17 Acid damage, and it's 40 feet above you. Liara's now 30 feet from you.

Swooping down, the dragon fires off another cone of acidic gas from 40 feet above Andreas, then turns to retreat again.

Show
    (1d4)[1]
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-27 at 11:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

((You were right, the Defensive focus turning into diff terrain happens at 10th level. The teleporting was from my Intruder's End counter. Also, from now onwards, mind letting me roll saves instead? Given the fact that I have a counter that modifies saves, plus a possible series of conditional modifers, I'd rather roll those myself. This would slow down things, but I have plenty of active hours so it shouldn't be too harsh))
    Liara used the last of her power points to heal the giant warrior once more fully and kept giving him encouragement. In the meantime, Andreas, decided that if the dragon wouldn't come to him, he'd go to the dragon, as he formed a psionic skin around his body!
    ((Liara will burn her last 6 PP to once more cap off Andreas full HP, Encouraging Roar, and then recover psionic focus as move, regaining the maneuver. Andreas will spend a fullround action manifesting Form Astral Armor, choosing the Astral Skin form and spending 2 PP to further augment it. He gains the following:
    -Free: Speed x2 (+10 base speed), Nimble(+2 DEX, increases AC by 1 effectively), Evasion (As the rogue class feature)
    -2 points: Initiator's Soul (Still not clear whether I'd get my full manifester level or half HD as IL, but half HD is enough: choosing Veiled Moon and Mithral Current, grabbing the following maneuvers: Fading Strike, Iron Wave, Call the Soul's Blade; plus the Reaching Blade Stance)
    -4 points: Fly (2 base, another 2 points to increase the speed by another 40 feet, granting me a total of 80 feet before reduction, 55 after reduction) ))

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    You doing saves is fine, but it means I'll probably put the results as "if success" and "if failure" in separate spoilers. I think it's best if we do that, but only allow viewing the one that happens.

Reflex Save DC 19:
    Spoiler: Success
    Show
    No damage, because you have evasion now. Unless Form Astral Armor is a 1 round cast, and only takes effect next round, in which case take 15 damage, and make a concentration check.

Spoiler: Failure
    Show
    31 damage, and if Form Astral Armor is a 1 round cast, make a concentration check.

The dragon loops around, then fires another blast of acid at you.

Show
    (8d6)[31], (1d4)[2]
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-06-28 at 09:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Andreas, sensing the dragon's breath coming, tried to dodge it! Afterwards, the half-giant moved in the dragon's direction, suddenly teleporting into the middle of the air and striking the dragon from above, trying to use his own weight to try and make the dragon crash along with himself!
    ((Sanguine perseverance as immediate to counter, replacing my saving throw with a sense motive check. Liara will once more use Encouraging Roar and then proceed to use Aid Another on Andreas to recover her maneuver, attempting to give him a +3 bonus to his next attack roll. Fading Strike lets Andreas teleport up to his movement speed, his fly of 55ft in this case, so assuming the dragon is once more 40 ft above, Andreas should manage to teleport directly above said dragon. Not sure what to roll for trying to crush the dragon into falling into the ground, though. Andreas will also charge his blade as a free action for another 2d6 damage.))
    Sanguine Perseverance check (replaces reflex)
    (1d20+17)[19]
    Aid Another check (on a nat 1, Andreas takes -3 on his next attack roll)
    (1d20+12)[21]
    Andreas attack
    (1d20+22)[39]
    Damage
    (14d6+14)[61]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Dodging the acid breath, you blink above the dragon and slash. As you crash into the dragon's back, you realize it has gone limp, almost certainly dead. The corpse's momentum carries it (and possibly you) several hundred feet into the trees, crushing them into the ground, until it finally comes to a rest. You hear the cheers of your subordinates, who are now clustered around few hundred feet away.

Curiously, though, a small pop rings through the forest, causing all to wince, and suddenly, a torrent of material comes out of the dragon's mouth. Mostly silver and copper coins form a sizeable pile, perhaps a foot tall and seven feet across, and on top lie two slender sticks you suspect are wands and a scroll case.

Show
    You can follow the dragon as it falls if you'd like. I'm still not sure if Form Astral Armor is a full-round or a 1 round cast - I assume it's full-round, since otherwise you would have made a concentration check?

+4800 XP, Liara +1600 XP.

It's around 1,100,000 copper pieces, 32000 silver pieces, 1200 gold pieces, and 76 platinum pieces.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

((To confirm, Form Astral Armor is a full round action. Also, regarding EXP, we were running on normal or fast track?))
    "Alright, everyone, let's take a couple trips back and forth to haul the coins back to the city. Prioritize picking up the silver pieces first!" Taking advantage of his still increased size, Andreas chopped off the dragon's head, planning to have it turned into a trophy for the city guard later on. He then started stuffing his and Liara's bags with the gold and platinum coins, as well as the magical items, to be later taken to the local spellcasters for identification; filling the bags with some silver coins. His bag full and returned to normal size, Andreas picked up the dragon's head and led his men the way back home.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As you near the pile, you feel a painful shock, and freeze involuntarily. Soon, a voice begins to speak, but you see no source for it. "That should get your attention... hello. If you are hearing this, you have slain, disabled, tricked, or otherwise waylaid the daughter of a very powerful dragon. If the body has not already disappeared, that means that I am currently busy and unable to appropriately resolve this issue, give her an appropriate lecture, and take her away from likely terrorizing whoever you are. Please take the white-and-gold stick and snap it above her body. Consider doing so sooner rather than later, as if you do not, it will be assumed that she was slain by a powerful unintelligent being, and a very expensive contingency will be activated, involving a minimum of painful death for all involved. Once this task is complete, help yourself to the remaining treasure provided. Thank you." With a pop, the scroll case disappears from the pile, and you notice that the others have formed a partial circle around the pile, mostly looking confused, then glancing towards you for direction.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Still in his giant form, ((Andreas's Expansion lasts for 8 minutes, so he should still have a few minutes worth of it)) Andreas sent a telepathic message to Liara through the collective "Do as the voice says, I'll ready my blade if the dragon tries anything once it is brought back." As she approached, the half-giant stepped back from the corpse, his blade held readied upon the dragon. Liara then snapped the mentioned stick above the dragon's body.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The stick is snapped, and... Nothing apparent happens.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not a resurrection? Hm, given that the dragon has been given death for assaulting us, I believe that should amount for proper upholding of the law. Everyone, pack as many coins and valuables as you can, prioritizing the silver ones, and let's go back home. We'll come back to pickup the rest afterwards. A couple of you, please pickup our fallen colleague's corpse for proper burial." Andreas then started stuffing his and Liara's bags with the gold and platinum coins, as well as the other magical items, to be later taken to the local spellcasters for identification; filling the bags with some silver coins.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

You return, though your men are somewhat more shaken now. Still, it's quite the payday, and even after burying their friend, it only takes a round or two to return to reasonable spirits.

By the time you return from identification services, you can already start hearing rumors spread. Slaying a dragon, even for such a well-known, powerful individual, tends to make some waves, and you get even more attention than usual. Particularly bold drinkers ask for the story, while others approach in less boisterous manners - a child asks for your autograph to the chagrin of his parents, several women wave their handkerchiefs at you, and you can't walk past a bar without being offered a free drink. Even after the sun sets, some of this attention persists essentially everywhere but the respected privacy of your home.

Spoiler: Results
    Show
    Magic stuff: The other wand is a 39 charge Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

The scroll case appears to have a few trinkets stored within - a burnt-out, cracked diamond, a small stone that gives the user a second, extradimensional stomach to store items in once per day (a modified Hoard Gullet from 3.5 - it holds any amount, lasts 16 hours, and is worth about 4800 gp), a Feather Token (Tree), and a statuette of wondrous power made from an oak seed (Bronze Griffin).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

From the gathered coins, Andreas assigned each of his lieutenants and their subordinates the equivalent a month's worth of pay (almost jokingly giving them said bonus in mostly copper coins); and then had a couple of them deliver a year's worth of pay to the family of their deceased fellow (Using silver and golden coins this time instead).

The half-giant told the story every time he was asked about it, being descriptly enough of the battle, but not talking about the eerie message after he had slain the dragon, and signed the autograph with a smile. While Andreas did accept the first few drinks, as soon as the first effects of alcohol started to appear, he politely refused any further.

((OoC: What's the gold total after the bonuses? Also, what is the current weapons/armor the lieutenants are using?))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    A month's pay is 10 gp, so it's a total of 250 gp given out, so 15910 gp left.

Currently, the Lieutenants are using nonmasterwork gear - two greatswords, two longswords, one bow, one lance, one glaive, one dwarven waraxe, two heavy shields, one chain shirt, three scale mail, two splint mail, one banded mail, one hide armor.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

After a night of proper sleep, Andreas went to the city guard's offices to see if there was any other matter that needed attention.
    ((OoC: If none, Andreas will take Liara and a couple lieutenants alongside him to the city's market, to go buy gear and magic items, which brings the question: Are you going to be rolling for magic items available, or do can I just buy whatever my funds can afford? Also, the bow you mentioned in the lieutenants' gear, is it a longbow or a shortbow? Is it composite?))
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-07-06 at 06:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The area seems to be calm for now, with nothing but regularly scheduled patrols on the office boards.

Show
    Magic items that are under CL 4 and with no spells > level 2 are readily available. Items with CL 5 or 6 and/or spell level 3 are harder to find (I'd say roll Diplomacy for Gather Information, or Knowledge (Local), both DC 20), but easily commissionable. Items with CL 7+ or spell level 4+ are not available.

The bow is a composite longbow.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

With the recently acquired wealth, Andreas acquired masterwork weapons for all his lieutenants (although, unaware of the exact draw of his bow-using lieutenant, instead got a set of masterwork durable arrows); in addition to buying a protective ring for Liara, and some magic crafting materials to boost his cloak with. Afterwards, he returned to distribute the new weapons, ordering the old weapons to be stashed as spares.
    In his office, the half-giant equipped his spellcraft-boosting necklace and started tinkering with his cloak.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Spending 2418 gp to buy all the lieutenants mwk weapons, except for the bow, getting 20 mwk durable arrows instead. In addition, buying a Ring of Protection +1 for Liara (Either she takes 10 in Diplo for DC 20, or Andreas takes 10 and Liara's Aid Another lets him breach 20), and spending 2500 gp in magical materials to start work on upgrading the cloak of resistance on Andreas from +2 to +3. The Spellcraft DC is 20, and taking 10 with the Spellcraft boosted by the armillary amulet, which is 18; and will keep working on it for the next 4 days, unless something comes up.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-07-11 at 12:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Note: Knowledge (Local)/gathering information only tells you if an item is present - Fortunately, Rings of Shielding are relatively ubiquitous in their use and so it was easy to locate and purchase one.

Two days into your tinkering, you get a report. Several guards returned to the site and found the dragon's body had disappeared, though evidence of the battle remained. Even more curious, part of the report is a message from what seems to be the dragon's father, who apparently left a five-foot wide stone tablet etched with something in Draconic. The words are reproduced as well as the scribes could manage, allowing you to read the somewhat distorted lettering - "Thanks. Come to meet? NNW of this."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Andreas nodded at the report, and leaving the acquired gold under Liara's care (alongside a few instructions on what to do should he not come back), headed out towards the alleged location of the stone tablet, and, upon confirming the message, went in the written direction. While indeed it could be a trap, risking insulting the pride of a dragon and having one completely destroy the city was a possibility should he choose to ignore the invitation.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Walking through the woods, you find the assorted sounds of wildlife reassuring - If animals are about, monsters aren't. You don't see any signs of danger until you make it all the way to the mountains, quite unusual for such a long journey. While the animals do prove a nuisance on occasion, leaping towards Liara before quickly being scared off or killed by your might, you are far from being threatened by mundane creatures.

Eventually, you make it to what you assume is the cave the note spoke of. The trees have grown sparse as you got closer to mountainous terrain, making it easy to glance several hundred meters left and right and verify an absence of caves to either side. It seems strangely clean, the stone floor of the cave almost entirely dirt and dust free, save for the first five feet of the entrance. Inside, you see what's likely the cause of this - a huge gelatinous cube, some sixty feet into the cave. It seems that it completely blocks this entrance, which is about fifteen feet high.

Show
    (1d20+17)[28]
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-07-14 at 03:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Wary of the ooze, Andreas considered his options-the gelatinous cube might as well be a security measure left by the dragon. After a quick mental note to Liara to stand a good distance behind him, the half giant spoke firmly (and somewhat loudly) in draconic, as if trying to see whether someone sentient was in the cave at the moment: "Is the master of this lair here?" The two warriors, however, were more than ready for any sudden activity, and had their weapons in hand. ((Andreas is about 45 feet away from the ooze, while Liara is 10 feet further behind him, just in range of his Aegis.))

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    (1d20+13)[23]

You can't quite identify the spell - largely because of the muffling/distorting effect of the cube and the distance away.

Despite the muffling effect of fifteen feet of gelatinous mass, you seem to be heard, as you can hear the faint mutter of a spellcast, then a mighty voice from behind the cube calling, "Ah, yes. Come in." The cube moves aside, and you see now that it appears to be something of a living door, with a large alcove made in the side of the cave and a groove in the ground forcing it to only move along that path. Light pouring in from outside the cave lets you see about 200 feet into what appears to be about a hundred foot hallway descending into a more spacious cavern within. While you can only see a small slice of the larger room, from what you can see, there is a large pool of liquid covering most of the area, with only perhaps five to ten feet of a stone rim around the pool on the side you can see. The liquid is hard to judge - it's mostly clear, though it gives the stone behind it a green tint, and must be relatively deep, as most of the pool looks a much darker green.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-07-14 at 06:45 AM.