New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Proving Grounds [IC; Andreas]

After healing you and Liara, the group proceeds onwards. However, the mist soon intensifies, and while you are protected from the biting cold, it seems to make you breathe a little heavier. By the time the next point of interest appears - a small room, with several more insectoid corpses piled by an exit to the left, and another exit, free of corpses, to the right - you feel quite tired, despite never increasing your pace beyond a walk.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Everyone's fatigued.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

((Healed to full, I presume? Also, I'm presuming these 'exits' are still filled with mist, right?))
    "If there's something dangerous here," said Andreas between breaths, "we might find ourselves unable to deal with it. We should retreat for now, as further exploration like this would be reckless."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Yep and yep.

Where exactly do you want to retreat to?

The group agrees, and retreats.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

((You missed my ooc post? posting IC just in case that happened))

As the group retreated, Andreas argued for going to the complex's entrance, as further exploration could still present dangers they had far less resources to deal with than what they currently had at hand.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Sorry, yeah.

After a long, relatively uninteresting climb to the top of the mountain, you're back on the surface. Quite some time has passed after going up and down thousands of feet, but there's still the last hints of light from a rose-colored sun as it sets.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

((Sorry, missed the IC post since I was busy studying for exams and it must have scrolled through-my bad for not checking the thread directly))

As the group exited the compound, Andreas suggested "Let's set up camp early. I'll take the first watch, and Liara the second."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

In the night, during Mary's shift (the fourth of five), she wakes the group up, Messaging in a whisper that "Footsteps approach. Heavy - ready for combat?" You can't see what she's talking about, but you can hear the heavy thuds, making their way towards you from about sixty feet away.

Show
    Yeah, sorry, I've been busy as well. Big essay due in two days, followed by finals

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Andreas nodded, waking up as Liara re-connected everyone available to the collective as the duo readied themselves for combat.
    ((I'll assume that we haven't gotten the daily HP/PP replenishment yet. Both Andreas and Liara enter their usual stances, and Andreas uses Form Astral Armor, burning 7 pp, getting Darkvision 60, Reach, Improved Damage.
    OoC note: I won't have any more exams until later next month after Friday's one, so I should be good to post at the usual rate once more.))

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Entering a combat-ready position, the group tensely waits as the footsteps approach closer. Eventually, over the side of the mountain, the head of a strange, reptilian creature appears, along with a huge club it has slung over its shoulder. Its footsteps continue to rumble towards you, but it doesn't seem to immediately attack.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

As the creature approached, Andreas once more tapped into his psionic might, growing to a huge size himself as he drew his even bigger greatsword; intent on having his now-similarly sized foe reconsider its possibilities, saying in Draconic: "We seek no conflict, but will defend ourselves if you are intent on it." ((Expansion, 7pp, Andreas is now Huge, effectively around 33 feet tall))

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

As the creature reaches even ground with you, you get a full view of its grotesque body - a lizardlike, armored body, towering almost to your height, utterly mutilated and re-stitched together with metal plates and tubing. The plates are arranged in an almost artistic pattern, letting what looks like blood from open wounds all over the torso flow through a lattice of metal, scale, and bone. Beyond the extensive work on the creature's body, it seems the club you saw slung over its shoulder is actually attached to its arm, which is strangely disjointed and pinned back together with metal spikes to form an unnaturally long, almost fluid shape. The creature, as you grow above its height, leans back, screwing up its face and staring up, then bellows with laughter - a gurgling, rasping noise that reminds you an awful lot of the strange sharklike abomination you slew in the cave. It puts its club-arm to the ground, grabbing it with its normal claw and leaning on it, then says, "You are even greater than reported. Very well - I will match your civility. Either way, I will attack, but if you fight me alone, I will not bring your companions with me to the Plane of Torture to be ground into flesh-meal if I triumph." Lifting the club back up, the creature's scaly brow furrows, and he rumbles, "Either way, if you are mighty enough to defeat me, know they will only send more, and more powerful agents. You will become one of us, one way or another."
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-11-16 at 05:33 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, it seems like defeating your kin has attracted quite the unwanted attention," commented Andreas in answer, perfecting his stance and further empowering himself, and taking a step forwards. "Come!" the half-giant said, as he mentally communicated to Mary and her allies through Liara's collective: "You are free to help me or stay neutral, although in the former case some immediate healing would be appreciated."

((Swift to enter style, standard to manifest physical acceleration, and take a 5-foot step forwards.
    Also, just to keep track, Andreas is at 54/74 HP, has a reach of 20 feet (25 for aoos); and after manifesting his power his AC is at 24 (26-4 from expansion+1 from astral suit+1 from physical accel) and has only 9 PP left.))

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

"Yes, you could say that... I see you, small one. You may enhance my mark, but then, step away. I would hate to accidentally damage your body. Now... are you ready?" The creature hefts its club-arm, holding it with the other hand, as Mary dashes forward and heals you, then backs away.

Spoiler: Results
    Show
    You heal for 11. You can take as many rounds of buffs as you'd like, then you're up first in initiative.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (2d8+5)[11]
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[6]
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-11-19 at 05:33 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

While he'd very much rather have the time to prepare, Andreas couldn't stay in his accelerated form for long, and the half-giant had very little he could improve himself in with his remaining psionic pool that wouldn't be better useable to deflect a lethal attack.
    As such, the moment Liara roared to give him the initial push, Andreas pounced at his foe, unleashing a deadly barrage of attacks!
    ((Encouraging Roar from Liara, Andreas will psionic lion's charge and full attack, with TWF. +2 to attack and damage rolls if at 20 feet Andreas is within the threatened zone of his enemy. On a hit, applying an Armiger's mark for the usual penalties))
    Attack 1
    Attack roll
    (1d20+19)[25]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+17)[60]
    Haste Attack
    Attack roll
    (1d20+19)[26]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+17)[52]
    OH Attack
    Attack roll
    (1d20+18)[30]
    Damage roll
    (4d6+11)[26]
    Attack 2
    Attack roll
    (1d20+14)[16]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+17)[50]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    (1d20+18)[25], (1d20+13)[24], (1d20+12)[20]

(6d6+18)[40]
    (6d6+18)[43]
    (3d6+6)[19]

Snorting, the creature laughs as your attacks mostly deflect off its hide and plating, then starts walking towards you. You manage to bash him with your shield as he approaches, causing him to flinch, and continue striking as he moves to slam you with his club, but it seems he is unstoppable.

Show
    You take 40 damage from a club strike. He has 15 foot reach and 5 foot stepped into you - I don't recall an ability that gives you an AoO?
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-11-22 at 03:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

As the club seemed to approach him, Andreas's eyes glowed with psionic might as the warrior warily side-stepped the attack, the elf roaring once more to encourage. Answering with his own flurry of attacks, Andreas once more stepped back into a safer range.
    ((Sidestep as immediate, 3pp, autododges the melee attack. Liara recovers Encouraging Roar as standard and uses it again after moving within range of Andreas. Full attack, no TWF, then 5-foot step out of his reach))

Attack 1
    Attack roll
    (1d20+21)[26]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[64]

Haste Attack
    Attack roll
    (1d20+21)[27]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[51]

Attack 2
    Attack roll
    (1d20+16)[34]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[58]

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Again ignoring all but the final attack, the giant creature winces as you jam your blade into a relatively unprotected section of its flesh, but shoves away from the blade and comes at you again. This time, its club misses, slamming into the ground and shaking it beneath you, but it manages to spin and slam you with a suddenly-extended tail, sections of flesh disjoining to smash into you at breakneck speeds.

Show
    (1d20+17)[21], (1d20+12)[22], (1d20+12)[28]
    (6d6+18)[33]
    (6d6+18)[35]
    (3d6+6)[17]

Show
    Take 19 damage, and a Fort Save DC 23 or you're Stunned for 1 round.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-11-26 at 02:59 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Once more moving at a last second to dodge the sudden attack, Andreas answered once more with a brutal barrage as he kept the tempo!
    ((Immediate to Sidestep, and repeat as last turn))

Attack 1
    Attack roll
    (1d20+21)[39]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[62]

Haste Attack
    Attack roll
    (1d20+21)[24]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[68]

Attack 2
    Attack roll
    (1d20+16)[21]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[61]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Since you didn't roll the Fort save, I'll do it for you: (1d20+12)[15]

Edit: Oh, you dodged it, so you didn't have to. Nevermind.

Frustratedly swinging in as you open another large gash across the creature's chest, not a single attack from the massive club manages to strike true.

Show
    (1d20+17)[24]
    (1d20+12)[19]
    (1d20+12)[20]
    (6d6+18)[44]
    (6d6+18)[39]
    (3d6+6)[20]
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-12-03 at 08:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

((Tbh, not a big fan of stand-and-full attack encounters; issue is that atm, assuming that the enemy is immune to fear just like the previous one from the Plane of Torture Andreas fought, I have not much in the way of defensives that can stand a full attack. Here's hoping to a good string of rolls to win the encounter. Will probably aim for another attack blocking maneuver on the levelup so might not have the problem for long.))

Encouraged by the fact that he seemed to be taking the upper hand, Andreas kept using his winning strategy!

((Repeat as last turn))

Attack 1
    Attack roll
    (1d20+21)[26]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[57]

Haste Attack
    Attack roll
    (1d20+21)[34]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[63]

Attack 2
    Attack roll
    (1d20+16)[35]
    Damage roll
    (12d6+19)[61]

EDIT: last attack threatens, confirming in OoC.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-12-05 at 11:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Crunching through the bone underneath the plating, your greatsword slashes finish off the massive reptilian creature, and it collapses. Grinning at you as it slumps to the ground, you hear a gurgling, wheezing, "this will be beautiful..." as the giant corpse thuds to the ground, then shrinks to about your original size.

Show
    9600 XP. Also, its greatclub shrinks with it, and it deals 4d6 damage.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2016-12-08 at 04:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

((On a bit of a block regarding levelup options, if you wouldn't mind giving me a few days more to decide on powers/maneuvers?))
    His foe defeated, Andreas picked the weapon left behind as he dismissed his psionic power, returning to normal size. The half-giant then rejoined the group, and said, looking both physically and mentally tired: "Can we discuss this after resting? There's things I want to ask about the information I got from his words, but my mind isn't at its best right now."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

In varying degrees of shock, the group nods silently. Then, Mary shares a meaningful glance with the other two, and after seeming to reach some sort of agreement, walks over to you. As places a hand on your arm, healing some of your wounds, she says, "You've done more than enough tonight. Get some rest."

The next morning, the corpse is gone, as are many more of your wounds. Steve, Xander and Mary all look marginally less rested than you, but they are up before you, seated around a small fire, where Xander is cooking hotcakes.

Show
    No problem, take your time.

You heal for (4d8+29)[48], in addition to your normal night's rest.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

((Alright, done with levelup. 8000 exp to Andreas, 1600 to Liara))

Feeling entirely refreshed, Andreas approached the group, his mind already figuring out new ways to employ his capabilities in combat.

Approaching and greeting the group, the half-giant pulled out the greatclub he obtained from last night's foe and showed it to Mary, asking for her to identify any magical properties it might have, if possible. Andreas was intent on asking about the Plane of Torture to the knowledgeable elf, but he'd rather not ruin everyone's appetite with what was likely to be a gruesome topic, so he decided to wait on it until later.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2016-12-13 at 05:38 AM.