New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Cloudbreak IC: Glimpse of the sky

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    And with those words the party really kicks off. Quick question though, do you actually drink from the bottle yet? Big bang is watching and this is the moment that you can take a good deep swig, or set it aside.

As to the Bunker's archivist? That'd be Dewey Decimal - an old earth pony. He's getting on a bit in years, and probably would be around here somewhere. Try checking near the dispensers for anypony who has been ordering old scotch.

What do you do?
    See, that's getting me paranoid. Don't you just hate it when things do that? And you know, this would be the perfect time to try for an assassination or incapacitation. And I think I'm just enough in control of myself to remember that.

What I'm gonna do, though, is grab a pair of cups, and slosh the booze into both of them. Grabbing one, I offer the other to Big Bang and raise the glasses high. "To your health, and the bunker!"

I'm scrutinizing Big Bang as I do this. Anything funny going on? Any tics, nervousness?
    [Read a pony: (2d6+2)[4]]
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

"I ... I can't say." replies Carat, who has broken out into a sweat. "I can't. He'll know."

What do you do?
    There isn't much Milliway can do here, if Carat is genuinely stuck on this point, where would she even begin? While Milliway spends the last of her patience I'm going to spend her Read hold: How can I get Carat to reveal this to me?
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we've already established that the horde is linked to this Changeling realm, but I doubt it's as easy as nipping up the interdimensional stairs. Even if the fabric of reality is thinner between those two locations.

Besides, it's not your hoard.
    Not yet it's not; check this out!

[Rolling to Open My Brain: 6 + 2 + 2 = 10]

Preemptive bragging; the poor pony's gambling hall.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "Yes, Archmagus! Some ponies were having a birthday party and were getting a bit too loud, I have told them to quiet down!" Luminark said, bowing and scraping and keeping his eyes firmly shut so he is not blinded by the impossible radiance of the Archmage's all-powerful intellect. "Is there anything else you require, Archmagus?"
    The spiralling vortex stutters to a halt.

"A birthday party?" comes the reply.

"Do you know if I was invited?"

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    See, that's getting me paranoid. Don't you just hate it when things do that? And you know, this would be the perfect time to try for an assassination or incapacitation. And I think I'm just enough in control of myself to remember that.

What I'm gonna do, though, is grab a pair of cups, and slosh the booze into both of them. Grabbing one, I offer the other to Big Bang and raise the glasses high. "To your health, and the bunker!"

I'm scrutinizing Big Bang as I do this. Anything funny going on? Any tics, nervousness?
    [Read a pony: [roll0]]
    Not a thing! At least, nothing that you notice. This time. Perhaps.

Anyway, Big Bang takes a swig. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    There isn't much Milliway can do here, if Carat is genuinely stuck on this point, where would she even begin? While Milliway spends the last of her patience I'm going to spend her Read hold: How can I get Carat to reveal this to me?
    Well, you can tell that Carat isn't being entirely truthful here. She thinks that she can't tell you - for whatever reason. What she knows, on the other hoof, is up for debate.

If you want her to spill, you need to press her. Make her know that if she doesn't spill to you, that she'll end up spilled on the floor.

She thinks she might die if she talks. Make it so she knows she'll die if she doesn't.

What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Not yet it's not; check this out!

[Rolling to Open My Brain: 6 + 2 + 2 = 10]

Preemptive bragging; the poor pony's gambling hall.
    Well, somepony rolled high this time around. (We're only continuing the gambling hall metaphor, right Scraps? No getting too meta here!)

Anyway, your mind opens, looking for a path to the library. Thankfully, your road sense is strong, and one calls to you. It won't be simple to follow, but it shouldn't be beyond your abilities.

What you need is one of the bug spirits to get you back to where Narky was - and the spectral end of the memory shunt that's flapping in the breeze there. The same shunt that belongs to the hoard.

Pull the shunt out, and it'll naturally be wanting to get back to where it belongs. The bug should be able to give you the magical hoo hah to give it a prod through the barriers, and allow you to spectrally raid something appropriate from the hoard.

That said, it's still Narky's hoard. So who knows what might happen if you stick your hoof in there.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you can tell that Carat isn't being entirely truthful here. She thinks that she can't tell you - for whatever reason. What she knows, on the other hoof, is up for debate.

If you want her to spill, you need to press her. Make her know that if she doesn't spill to you, that she'll end up spilled on the floor.

She thinks she might die if she talks. Make it so she knows she'll die if she doesn't.

What do you do?
    Violence, oh good, 'cause this was going that way regardless.

Milliway grunted inside her mask and reached to pull Carat along to somewhere less conspicuous.

"Here's the thing, Carat." Milliway said with gritted teeth as they turned a corner away from the festivities. "I'm getting House back, and you're making it happen. Now, because it's the Administrator's birthday I will make one concession and agree to help you to speed things along, but I'm not about to fumble around in the damn dark with it. You hear me? Now give on how I free you and from who or I will consider you more trouble than you're worth!" she snarled, the Tesla Claw on her hoof crackling dangerously as she raised it.

[Rolling to Go Aggro on Carat: 1+3+1=5 There it is.]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

6. - Top - End - #546
    Colossus in the Playground

The spiralling vortex stutters to a halt.

"A birthday party?" comes the reply.

"Do you know if I was invited?"
    "Yes, I placed the invitation on your desk on Saturday, with reminder post-its bi-daily - that's once every two days, not the other one," said Luminark diligently. He had included on one of those post-its a caaaaaaaaasual suggestion that if the Archmage needed to fill the +1 slot his own schedule for that night was clear. "If you wish to attend, Archmagus, I could be there immediately!"

7. - Top - End - #547

Not a thing! At least, nothing that you notice. This time. Perhaps.

Anyway, Big Bang takes a swig. What do you do?
    Normally, my course of action would be to let the paranoia flow and demand that Big Bag accompany some very Friendly people downstairs just to be sure. But tonight? On my birthday, with the music pumping, in the company of my friends? I'mma chug that like the world is gonna end. (Again.)

Besides, I just examined the guy and I know he's not gonna do anything. After all, if you can't trust the evidence of your own senses, what can you trust?
    Last edited by Balmas; 2017-09-10 at 07:24 PM.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Well, somepony rolled high this time around. (We're only continuing the gambling hall metaphor, right Scraps? No getting too meta here!)

Anyway, your mind opens, looking for a path to the library. Thankfully, your road sense is strong, and one calls to you. It won't be simple to follow, but it shouldn't be beyond your abilities.

What you need is one of the bug spirits to get you back to where Narky was - and the spectral end of the memory shunt that's flapping in the breeze there. The same shunt that belongs to the hoard.

Pull the shunt out, and it'll naturally be wanting to get back to where it belongs. The bug should be able to give you the magical hoo hah to give it a prod through the barriers, and allow you to spectrally raid something appropriate from the hoard.

That said, it's still Narky's hoard. So who knows what might happen if you stick your hoof in there.
    Where's the fun when you know how a road ends? Not anywhere on that road, you can be sure of that.

Scraps let the Doom Buggy in on his scheme, and the two of them set out to raid a Hoard, save a Princess, and look darn good while doing it.

Regardless of whether or not they get to the Hoard right away: Luminark, would your Hoard happen to contain any of the guts of what used to be Milliways workshop? Or maybe a 5-gear shift-combine?
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2017-09-11 at 08:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #549

Where's the fun when you know how a road ends? Not anywhere on that road, you can be sure of that.

Scraps let the Doom Buggy in on his scheme, and the two of them set out to raid a Hoard, save a Princess, and look darn good while doing it.

Regardless of whether or not they get to the Hoard right away: Luminark, would your Hoard happen to contain any of the guts of what used to be Milliways workshop? Or maybe a 5-gear shift-combine?
    Luminark's hoard consists of creepy biological samples, creepy necromantic atrocities, and books. What kind of primitive would put an engine in a library?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-09-11 at 08:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

Violence, oh good, 'cause this was going that way regardless.

Milliway grunted inside her mask and reached to pull Carat along to somewhere less conspicuous.

"Here's the thing, Carat." Milliway said with gritted teeth as they turned a corner away from the festivities. "I'm getting House back, and you're making it happen. Now, because it's the Administrator's birthday I will make one concession and agree to help you to speed things along, but I'm not about to fumble around in the damn dark with it. You hear me? Now give on how I free you and from who or I will consider you more trouble than you're worth!" she snarled, the Tesla Claw on her hoof crackling dangerously as she raised it.

[Rolling to Go Aggro on Carat: 1+3+1=5 There it is.]
    Carat looks at the glove with apprehension, before stuttering out a reply.

"O - okay ... I'll te-"

She gets no further.

*WOOMPFH*

Something powerful shakes the entire Bunker. A second, powerful, shudder follow soon after.

All the lights in the bunker go out.

"What the h-" starts Carat, before her voice cuts off in the darkness.

In that split second, something strikes Milliway in the face.

When the emergency lighting finally comes back on, bathing the corridors in its red glow, Carat is gone.

"Yes, I placed the invitation on your desk on Saturday, with reminder post-its bi-daily - that's once every two days, not the other one," said Luminark diligently. He had included on one of those post-its a caaaaaaaaasual suggestion that if the Archmage needed to fill the +1 slot his own schedule for that night was clear. "If you wish to attend, Archmagus, I could be there immediately!"
    "Yes. I think I shall." replies the Archmage.

"Please make sure that my arrival is expected."

At that moment, the three changelings that you have play-acting spring into a new script.

"Forsooth, doth mine eyes deceive me! Verily, we are plunged into darkness. For light, in these halls, there is not."

Normally, my course of action would be to let the paranoia flow and demand that Big Bag accompany some very Friendly people downstairs just to be sure. But tonight? On my birthday, with the music pumping, in the company of my friends? I'mma chug that like the world is gonna end. (Again.)

Besides, I just examined the guy and I know he's not gonna do anything. After all, if you can't trust the evidence of your own senses, what can you trust?
    Yep. Good logic. It's a pity that in this case you were entirely right.

Big Bang does nothing to you as you swig down the bottle. It doesn't taste of poison, or acid, or anything other than strong booze.

Really strong booze. In fact, you can feel it going to your head immediately and know that, for the next little while, you'll be pronouncing all your 'S'-es, as 'Sh'-s.

Just don't tell anypony to sit down.

[You'll also be acting under fire for some tasks, I'll tell you where]

At that moment, the entire bunker shakes and the lights, and music, of the party room turn off. Ponies start screaming and stampeding as the dull red glare of the emergency lighting kicks back in.

"Administrator! Administrator!" Yells, a pony from the crowd. While others can be heard crying, as they are injured by the stampeding crowd.

Well, combine or not, Doom Buggy lets you back up to the throne room - where Narky is watching ... well, he looks like he's staring into space (whilst on a call with the Archmage, unknown to you).

The spectral end of the memory shunt floats nearby him.

What do you do?

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Well, combine or not, Doom Buggy lets you back up to the throne room - where Narky is watching ... well, he looks like he's staring into space (whilst on a call with the Archmage, unknown to you).

The spectral end of the memory shunt floats nearby him.

What do you do?
    Direct Doom Buggy to get the end of the memory shunt, and bring it here! They're clearly not using it. And if anybug asks, he's tidying up for the big musical number later.

12. - Top - End - #552

"Yes. I think I shall." replies the Archmage.

"Please make sure that my arrival is expected."

At that moment, the three changelings that you have play-acting spring into a new script.

"Forsooth, doth mine eyes deceive me! Verily, we are plunged into darkness. For light, in these halls, there is not."
    "It shall be done," grovelled Luminark. This was now The Priority; all other goals were illusionary and fleeting. He needed a way back to the Material now. Also apparently there was something wrong with the lighting? Pro: It'd mean he'd be able to duck those guards easily, con: the chaos, anarchy and death might disrupt the party.

He could instead try to influence the Administrator again. He already had this memory shunt sitting right here and he could offload the memory of this conversation to her. He snatches up the Shunt just as Doom Buggy gets close to it and starts pacing around rapidly. "Performers, show me the location of the Administrator, or... who planned this party again? Find them and show me them as well," he said. "You, drone," he said to Doom Buggy, "I'm going to lose a memory soon. After I do, tell me these exact words: The Archmage Moondancer is expected at the party. Repeat that back to me to be sure you've got it. Maybe write it down too." Luminark didn't have a high opinion of the intelligence of his ghostly minions.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

"It shall be done," grovelled Luminark. This was now The Priority; all other goals were illusionary and fleeting. He needed a way back to the Material now. Also apparently there was something wrong with the lighting? Pro: It'd mean he'd be able to duck those guards easily, con: the chaos, anarchy and death might disrupt the party.

He could instead try to influence the Administrator again. He already had this memory shunt sitting right here and he could offload the memory of this conversation to her. He snatches up the Shunt just as Doom Buggy gets close to it and starts pacing around rapidly. "Performers, show me the location of the Administrator, or... who planned this party again? Find them and show me them as well," he said. "You, drone," he said to Doom Buggy, "I'm going to lose a memory soon. After I do, tell me these exact words: The Archmage Moondancer is expected at the party. Repeat that back to me to be sure you've got it. Maybe write it down too." Luminark didn't have a high opinion of the intelligence of his ghostly minions.
    It was at this fateful moment that the Scrapscallion had an idea. A wonderful, amazing, foolproof idea which would knock out a whole flock of birds with one stone. Y'see, he didn't know what that machine was, but the way Luminark was talking, and from what the Doom Buggy had told him earlier, that thing could transfer memories from one pony to another.

And the Doom Buggy already was holding one end of it.

And Luminark looked like he was eying the other...

[Rolling to Read a Sitch: 6 + 5 + 1 = far more questions than I actually needed AUGH DECISIONS 12 What's my best way in? Scraps's ultimate goal is to zap Luminark with his own memory shunt, but he needs an in on this scene. Holding 2.]

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hark, thine request. Stay thy hoof, perchance. For mine sight dothsn't reach yon the room." replies the thespibug

"Dothsn't?"

"It means 'does not' you cretin"

"Totally doesn't. Sounds like you just have a numb tongue."

"I'll show you a numb tongue!" hissed the first changeling, finally breaking character.

"Anyway, he's saying that it's out of range. Sorry Yer Majesty. Corridor outside looks clear though."

It was at this fateful moment that the Scrapscallion had an idea. A wonderful, amazing, foolproof idea which would knock out a whole flock of birds with one stone. Y'see, he didn't know what that machine was, but the way Luminark was talking, and from what the Doom Buggy had told him earlier, that thing could transfer memories from one pony to another.

And the Doom Buggy already was holding one end of it.

And Luminark looked like he was eying the other...

[Rolling to Read a Sitch: 6 + 5 + 1 = far more questions than I actually needed AUGH DECISIONS 12 What's my best way in? Scraps's ultimate goal is to zap Luminark with his own memory shunt, but he needs an in on this scene. Holding 2.]
    Huh, a way into the scene? I mean, it's right there in front of you man. I mean - if you want to work your way in, I'm sure the quarrelling bugs might provide a conversation point that would allow you to sidle up to your target.

Don't know if you have anything to add to that Luminark?

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, a way into the scene? I mean, it's right there in front of you man. I mean - if you want to work your way in, I'm sure the quarrelling bugs might provide a conversation point that would allow you to sidle up to your target.

I guess to make it a bit more clear, unless Scraps is interested in doing this entire thing by force (he isn't) he's got to insert himself in this scene without Luminark pretending he doesn't exist. He needs to be able to talk to the nerd and have the nerd listen, not ignore him out of reflex.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Carat looks at the glove with apprehension, before stuttering out a reply.

"O - okay ... I'll te-"

She gets no further.

*WOOMPFH*

Something powerful shakes the entire Bunker. A second, powerful, shudder follow soon after.

All the lights in the bunker go out.

"What the h-" starts Carat, before her voice cuts off in the darkness.

In that split second, something strikes Milliway in the face.

When the emergency lighting finally comes back on, bathing the corridors in its red glow, Carat is gone.
    Milliway got back on her feet, "Carat? Carat?! Damnit!" She took a moment to gather her now wildly raging thoughts and rub the sore spot on her face a little.

That confirmed it. Carat was the key. She had said somepony would try to intervene, that much seemed true. Then perhaps there is yet another behind it. She will find who, and no time like the present. Thankfully she wasn't without leads, Scraps was part of all this and she'd already put out an apprehension order on him.

Milliway did a sharp turn on the spot and rejoined what had been the party, hoping to be found by a patrol telling her of their timely arrest of Scraps. With any luck (and perhaps a sharp kick to a backup generator) she could have him tied up and ready for interrogation in minutes.

When she heard somepony yell for the Administrator she changed her direction to intercept with quick steps. If something had happened to Starlight, she needed to know.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

17. - Top - End - #557

Yep. Good logic. It's a pity that in this case you were entirely right.

Big Bang does nothing to you as you swig down the bottle. It doesn't taste of poison, or acid, or anything other than strong booze.

Really strong booze. In fact, you can feel it going to your head immediately and know that, for the next little while, you'll be pronouncing all your 'S'-es, as 'Sh'-s.

Just don't tell anypony to sit down.

[You'll also be acting under fire for some tasks, I'll tell you where]

At that moment, the entire bunker shakes and the lights, and music, of the party room turn off. Ponies start screaming and stampeding as the dull red glare of the emergency lighting kicks back in.

"Administrator! Administrator!" Yells, a pony from the crowd. While others can be heard crying, as they are injured by the stampeding crowd.
    "Shilenche!" bellowsh the Adminishtrator. She reconshiders. "Quiet! I will have quiet, everypony. We needn't panic. It may be a matter of power failure. We will quickly fiksh the problem, do not worry. Anypony who wishesh, come to my shide for comfort." And she shi--er, has a sheat next to the table, wingsh outshpread for poniesh to come beneath.

While she'sh doing that, Shtarlight ish going to check out the crowd. Who'sh panicking? Who'sh not? Anyone who actsh like they know why and how this happened? Where the hell hash that Shcrapshtallion gone?

Read a Shitch: (2d6+2)[11]

What is my enemy's true position?
    Holding 2.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2017-09-19 at 06:07 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558

"Hark, thine request. Stay thy hoof, perchance. For mine sight dothsn't reach yon the room." replies the thespibug

"Dothsn't?"

"It means 'does not' you cretin"

"Totally doesn't. Sounds like you just have a numb tongue."

"I'll show you a numb tongue!" hissed the first changeling, finally breaking character.

"Anyway, he's saying that it's out of range. Sorry Yer Majesty. Corridor outside looks clear though."
    "Then let's take a walk," said Luminark, hopping off the throne. He intends to briskly jog around the party to get an idea what's happening in reality now that the lights are apparently out. Is this planned, or is it a panic? "Hop to, show must go on," he said to his thespibugs sharply - time was of the essence, the Archmage was on her way.

I guess to make it a bit more clear, unless Scraps is interested in doing this entire thing by force (he isn't) he's got to insert himself in this scene without Luminark pretending he doesn't exist. He needs to be able to talk to the nerd and have the nerd listen, not ignore him out of reflex.
    YOU ASK THE IMPOSSIBLE

Luminark's got that look in the eye that says he's got A Mission and Luminark tends to monofocus on his Mission. He needs to get this party ready for the Archmage; playing off that or implying you might be able to help him with his goal will get his attention. Best speak quickly, though, because he's on the clock and if you drag it out he'll decide it's not worth his time.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

"Then let's take a walk," said Luminark, hopping off the throne. He intends to briskly jog around the party to get an idea what's happening in reality now that the lights are apparently out. Is this planned, or is it a panic? "Hop to, show must go on," he said to his thespibugs sharply - time was of the essence, the Archmage was on her way.

YOU ASK THE IMPOSSIBLE

Luminark's got that look in the eye that says he's got A Mission and Luminark tends to monofocus on his Mission. He needs to get this party ready for the Archmage; playing off that or implying you might be able to help him with his goal will get his attention. Best speak quickly, though, because he's on the clock and if you drag it out he'll decide it's not worth his time.
    Perfect. While all the bugs were focused elsewhere, he took the opportunity to make his entrance.

"Yo, Narky!" The Scrapscallion stepped up beside the Doom Buggy, casually grabbing and spooling in the memory shunt. "Didn't you hear them? Party's out of range. You're wasting your time. Besides, it'd be quicker to jet over to the Library, yeah? There's gotta be something there that can get us back fast. Y'know, make a return," he held up the memory shunt pointedly. "To make our return."

20. - Top - End - #560

Perfect. While all the bugs were focused elsewhere, he took the opportunity to make his entrance.

"Yo, Narky!" The Scrapscallion stepped up beside the Doom Buggy, casually grabbing and spooling in the memory shunt. "Didn't you hear them? Party's out of range. You're wasting your time. Besides, it'd be quicker to jet over to the Library, yeah? There's gotta be something there that can get us back fast. Y'know, make a return," he held up the memory shunt pointedly. "To make our return."
    "Go back there?" said Luminark, but the gears in his mind were turning. "There are suicide ponies with grenades, a power outage and probably a cascading fountain of escaped science projects. Ridiculous. We should stay here where it's safe."

The rejection strikes you as being a bit on autopilot. Luminark is eyeballing the machine and weighing up the pros and cons in his mind; he's definitely convincible.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

"Go back there?" said Luminark, but the gears in his mind were turning. "There are suicide ponies with grenades, a power outage and probably a cascading fountain of escaped science projects. Ridiculous. We should stay here where it's safe."

The rejection strikes you as being a bit on autopilot. Luminark is eyeballing the machine and weighing up the pros and cons in his mind; he's definitely convincible.
    *Hacker voice* I'm in.

[Rolling to Read a Pony on Luminark: 4 + 5 + 1 + 1 for acting on Read a Sitch = 11]

[Question 1: How could I get you to go along with the Scrapscallion's plan?

Question 2: How could I get you to attach the receiving end of the memory shunt to your own head? Bonus points if you let Scraps give you a memory willingly.

Holding 1.]

22. - Top - End - #562

*Hacker voice* I'm in.

[Rolling to Read a Pony on Luminark: 4 + 5 + 1 + 1 for acting on Read a Sitch = 11]

[Question 1: How could I get you to go along with the Scrapscallion's plan?
    Either offer him concrete assurance that nothing terrible will happen to him on the other side, or Manipulate him into thinking you have concrete reassurance. That's for right now, he might come around on his own after a few minutes of looking around himself.

Question 2: How could I get you to attach the receiving end of the memory shunt to your own head? Bonus points if you let Scraps give you a memory willingly.

Holding 1.]
    I can't think of much that'd get him there - he knows what that thing does and what happened last time it was used, and keeps a pretty firm grip on it even if you're groping it up. We're talking, direct order from the Archmage, or the certainty that doing this would significantly assist the Archmage. Brute force is honestly a more reliable bet here.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

Either offer him concrete assurance that nothing terrible will happen to him on the other side, or Manipulate him into thinking you have concrete reassurance. That's for right now, he might come around on his own after a few minutes of looking around himself.

I can't think of much that'd get him there - he knows what that thing does and what happened last time it was used, and keeps a pretty firm grip on it even if you're groping it up. We're talking, direct order from the Archmage, or the certainty that doing this would significantly assist the Archmage. Brute force is honestly a more reliable bet here.
    [Final question: How could I get you to forget your crush on Milliway, and stay the heck away from her?]

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

"Shilenche!" bellowsh the Adminishtrator. She reconshiders. "Quiet! I will have quiet, everypony. We needn't panic. It may be a matter of power failure. We will quickly fiksh the problem, do not worry. Anypony who wishesh, come to my shide for comfort." And she shi--er, has a sheat next to the table, wingsh outshpread for poniesh to come beneath.

While she'sh doing that, Shtarlight ish going to check out the crowd. Who'sh panicking? Who'sh not? Anyone who actsh like they know why and how this happened? Where the hell hash that Shcrapshtallion gone?

Read a Shitch: [roll0]

Holding 2.
    "Administrator," Milliway makes her way through the crowds, straight towards the voice of Starlight Glimmer, even if it's sounding a bit... slurred? "Is everything alright? What happened? Do you need me?"
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

25. - Top - End - #565

[Final question: How could I get you to forget your crush on Milliway, and stay the heck away from her?]
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THERE IS NO SUCH -

But hypothetically if such a thing existed, Luminark would lose interest if he thought that Miliway was boring and/or stupid. Luminark is attracted to intellect and mysteriousness and it'd probably only take one really excruciating conversation over sportsball teams or horseshoes to get him to reconsider.

26. - Top - End - #566

"Administrator," Milliway makes her way through the crowds, straight towards the voice of Starlight Glimmer, even if it's sounding a bit... slurred? "Is everything alright? What happened? Do you need me?"
    Starlight reaches out and snares Milliway into a winghug. "Lieutenant. Good of you to come. Exshactly why I elected you to be promoted. We need power, calm down the mashesh. There'sh a shaboteur, no doubt." She made an effort to look normal as she added, "You need to be aware to look for an item--shylindrical, about a hooflength long. That ish my top priority right now, and I authorizhe you to uzhe whatever forshe you deem nesheshesheshary."

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Read a Shitch: [roll0]

Holding 2.
    Before I answer this, I think that trying to grasp a chaotic situation while drunk does qualify for an AUF. Let's see where that dice roll goes first?

In the meantime, the ponies continue their panicked rioting. They don't know what's going on, it's dark, and they all remember what happened last time there was an insurgent attack. None of them want to stop long enough for a follow up bomb or anything.

If you want to rein them in you need to properly go Aggro on them.

28. - Top - End - #568

Before I answer this, I think that trying to grasp a chaotic situation while drunk does qualify for an AUF. Let's see where that dice roll goes first?
    Hooboy. I've managed to come this far without rolling Cool. Time to get some mileage out of past goodness.
    (2d6-2)[6]

In the meantime, the ponies continue their panicked rioting. They don't know what's going on, it's dark, and they all remember what happened last time there was an insurgent attack. None of them want to stop long enough for a follow up bomb or anything.

If you want to rein them in you need to properly go Aggro on them.
    It's amazing how the right voice, spoken levelly and calmly, can cut through panic. (Hopefully, anyway.)

"Milliway, inshtruct theshe poniesh that anypony who does not immediately dishpershe to their sheparate domishiles will be conshidered potentially complichit in any further inveshtigations. The lasht thing we need ish a mob on our handsh."

(2d6+2)[9]

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Hooboy. I've managed to come this far without rolling Cool. Time to get some mileage out of past goodness.
    [roll0]
    Well, I'm sure you won't need to keep rolling it. Let's answer that first question now.

Given that the power is out, your enemy was probably down at the generator room.

But this could be like last time. Where the destabilising strike was intended to set the scene for a second hit. Last time, it was a bomb followed by a secondary attack on the generators.

This time, it looks like the generators have been hit. Which means that the follow through will likely be on the experimental weapons range - the other place you were worried about last time.

It's amazing how the right voice, spoken levelly and calmly, can cut through panic. (Hopefully, anyway.)

"Milliway, inshtruct theshe poniesh that anypony who does not immediately dishpershe to their sheparate domishiles will be conshidered potentially complichit in any further inveshtigations. The lasht thing we need ish a mob on our handsh."

[roll1]
    The crowd freezes at the sound of your voice ... well, the half dozen Friendship Patrolponies who have levelled weapons on them might also have caught their attention. They moved in conjunction with your order and stand ready to blast somepony if you give them the signal.

There's a heartbeat of silence before an alarm starts to sound.

The assembled scientists look at each other before panic starts to set in again.

"That's the reactor alert!"

"Is it a meltdown, are we going to die?"

"We should be getting out of here ma'am!"

Meanwhile, somepony at the back is still causing a ruckus, yelling your name out. A couple of guardponies make to stop him, but you can hear the sounds of a scuffle start almost immediately. If it keeps up, he could have the crowd panicking again. That said, if you do need to shoot somepony, at least they'll all know you mean serious business.

What do you do?

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Starlight reaches out and snares Milliway into a winghug. "Lieutenant. Good of you to come. Exshactly why I elected you to be promoted. We need power, calm down the mashesh. There'sh a shaboteur, no doubt." She made an effort to look normal as she added, "You need to be aware to look for an item--shylindrical, about a hooflength long. That ish my top priority right now, and I authorizhe you to uzhe whatever forshe you deem nesheshesheshary."
    Milliway doesn't resist as she gets squashed under an inappropriately intimate (and somewhat clumsy, just saying) hug with the Administrator. Clearly she'd been drinking, but then again, this was her birthday party and it's not like she wasn't allowed to drink whenever she wanted to. Especially here. Today. So Milliway didn't comment, just suffered through being jostled around like the latest favourite hug toy.

"Yes, Adm-"

Release! Milliway caught her breath and unruffled her mane with a quick shake.

"Yes, Adm-"

The crowd freezes at the sound of your voice ... well, the half dozen Friendship Patrolponies who have levelled weapons on them might also have caught their attention. They moved in conjunction with your order and stand ready to blast somepony if you give them the signal.

There's a heartbeat of silence before an alarm starts to sound.

The assembled scientists look at each other before panic starts to set in again.

"That's the reactor alert!"

"Is it a meltdown, are we going to die?"

"We should be getting out of here ma'am!"

Meanwhile, somepony at the back is still causing a ruckus, yelling your name out. A couple of guardponies make to stop him, but you can hear the sounds of a scuffle start almost immediately. If it keeps up, he could have the crowd panicking again. That said, if you do need to shoot somepony, at least they'll all know you mean serious business.

What do you do?
    I got this, Administrator.

Milliway, not one to waste time on words (she'd been given clear enough orders), just cut straight through to the ruckus. She pinned a deathglare on whateverpony was causing the commotion and charged her Tesla Glove.

"Friends don't let friends put friends in danger!" Milliway said, raising her voice that echoed a little behind her mask. "Now settle down, quiet down, and you will be heard in a calm, orderly fashion in an appropriate venue. Keep going..." *crackle* "...and you will not." Milliway raised her Tesla hoof to make her point abundantly clear to the troublemaker. "Everypony have homes to go to. Get going, ponies. The Administrator has everything under control."

[Rolling to Go Aggro on Ruckus Pony: 1+3+1= 5]
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2017-09-23 at 11:06 AM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol