New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Cloudbreak IC: Glimpse of the sky

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    There's a muffled thump, a curse, and Starlight emerges from behind the desk, rubbing her head indignantly. "Pretty mare! Right here! And fire will happen shortly."
    The Scrapscallion paused, pondered, then proffered a shrug-nod. Fair point, she had him there.

Busily, she shuffles some paper without looking at their contents. Get him talking, that's the trick. "Sooo... any other pretty mares in your life?"
    "No."

...wait, woah, hold on a sec-

"Y'know. Apart from the standard number of pretty mares that the Scrapscallion's always encountering on a regular, daily basis all the time every day."

Phew. Close one.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [Sticky Hooves: 11. The beepy stick makes its way back to me in about a week.]

Luminark gives Miliway a Look. It's not an angry look, or a proud look, it's just kind of a... confused and possibly disappointed look. "... Oh? all right then. Please. I freely admit to my jerkitude, my idiocy, my incompetence and reliance on others. If you want to take over then, please, be my guest."

He's not even being sarcastic.

See, Luminark has - as you may have guessed - an ego. But absolutely zero of that ego is invested in his job as Administrator. He's always regarded this work as beneath him. I mean, organizing ration queues and housing and police actions? Who cares? Who honestly gives a single flying buck about such mundane trivia? The job is tiring and boring and he's been working furiously to delegate as much responsibility as possible.

The only reason he took the job in the first place was because Starlight Glimmer had, well - she hurt Milliway.
    "A-ha. Hah. No." Milliway reached out a hoof to gently nudge him away, he was standing too close. It was almost like she worried the Administratorship was a contagious disease she was in danger of catching.

"You took the Administrator job, you deal with it. I sure as hell don't want it. I have enough on my plate cleaning up your mess. Like always," said Milliway, feeling like a mom and resenting it. Foor goodness sakes, did he not have enough of those? Just how many moms does it take to maintain one Luminark?

"What did you do with Starlight Glimmer anyway? Where is she?"
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-09-19 at 04:09 AM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    "A-ha. Hah. No." Milliway reached out a hoof to gently nudge him away, he was standing too close. It was almost like she worried the Administratorship was a contagious disease she was in danger of catching.

"You took the Administrator job, you deal with it. I sure as hell don't want it. I have enough on my plate cleaning up your mess. Like always," said Milliway, feeling like a mom and resenting it. Foor goodness sakes, did he not have enough of those? Just how many moms does it take to maintain one Luminark?

"What did you do with Starlight Glimmer anyway? Where is she?"
    Rats, foiled again. Why would nopony in this damn bunker seize power?

Luminark gave a shrug. "No idea. Not in the bunker, at least. She must have listened when I told her to take a vacation - I''m sure getting some fresh air is doing her a world of good."

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "No."

...wait, woah, hold on a sec-

"Y'know. Apart from the standard number of pretty mares that the Scrapscallion's always encountering on a regular, daily basis all the time every day."

Phew. Close one.
    "Goodness. Daily and regular? Do be careful, Scraps. Overpopulation can be a problem in a facility as small as ours. Too much breeding and we'd have no choice but to open our doors to the outside, and how could I ensure equality then?"

Am I laying it on too thick here? Mmm, maybe. I don't think I've said 'goodness' unironically in decades. Still, I rustle some papers, and move towards some filing cabinets for good measure.

Pause. Let him stew. "Sooo... what are their names? These pretty mares? I might want to stop by and make sure that they know to treat one of my VIPs well."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground

"Goodness. Daily and regular? Do be careful, Scraps. Overpopulation can be a problem in a facility as small as ours. Too much breeding and we'd have no choice but to open our doors to the outside, and how could I ensure equality then?"

Am I laying it on too thick here? Mmm, maybe. I don't think I've said 'goodness' unironically in decades. Still, I rustle some papers, and move towards some filing cabinets for good measure.
    "Alright. Yes. Good point, your Equalityness. I get you. One hundred percent." So now we never ever have to talk about this again.

One key advantage of the Scrapscallion's crimson coat; it made it difficult to spot when he got flushed.

Pause. Let him stew. "Sooo... what are their names? These pretty mares? I might want to stop by and make sure that they know to treat one of my VIPs well."
    The Scrapscallion opened his mouth to rattle off a tasteful selection of the pretty mares from his mental rolodex and...nothing. Not a one. Not a single name came to mind. Maybe a touch of mane, or a pretty set of eyes, but you couldn't just tell a Princess, "Y'know, the one with the hair and the face?" (For starters, that might be construed as an insult, under the circumstances.)

And that sucked. That sucked. Here he was, down in the dumpest of dumps craving some kisses, and he couldn't even track down a pretty mare if he wanted to. That's some bull honkey right there.

"Oh....well, obviously I didn't mean from the Bunker...because...that probably wouldn't be very equal. And stuff." Casual shift in the seat. Thoughtful gaze to the stars. Definitely not avoiding vague eye contact. "Naw, they're all from the Wasteland. You've probably never met them."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2018-09-21 at 07:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

"Tourniquet," Milliway called over her shoulder, denying herself the wicked smile that wanted to twist her mouth, "there's been a murder, in the library, take three of your squad and investigate. Report to me. Oh and a 'beepy stick', use it however you see fit." She gave Tourniquet a serious look, hoping her meaning was clear. With any luck they'd have the Archmage behind bars within hours.
    I should point out, that during your exchange, Tourniquet, Dodger, Hot Toddy and Deadeye are in the squad that takes the beepy stick off you Luminark.

They salute Milliway, and head off to the library. The little stick still going 'bing' all the while.

7. - Top - End - #1057

"Oh....well, obviously I didn't mean from the Bunker...because...that probably wouldn't be very equal. And stuff." Casual shift in the seat. Thoughtful gaze to the stars. Definitely not avoiding vague eye contact. "Naw, they're all from the Wasteland. You've probably never met them."
    Oh, that is intolerable. Somepony from outside has broken my little pony's heart, and I don't even know who they are?

"Well, you'll have to introduce me," I growl, "so I can be properly motherly at them. Only the best is good enough for you. Are they local? They must be, if you can spare time from the bunker to visit them on a daily basis." Ooooh, they'll learn not to mess with my little pony. That pony will make him happy, I swear it!
    Last edited by Balmas; 2018-09-23 at 03:28 PM.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground

Rats, foiled again. Why would nopony in this damn bunker seize power?

Luminark gave a shrug. "No idea. Not in the bunker, at least. She must have listened when I told her to take a vacation - I''m sure getting some fresh air is doing her a world of good."
    Milliway's eyes narrowed as she watched the jerk give his carefree reply. It was odd to the point of creepy how quickly Luminark's moods changed, hell, if there were changelings about he'd be about as big a suspect as anyone, she figured.

She was really starting to see his ego present itself, it was something about that irritatingly arrogant shrug. Oh hell how she hated bloody shrugs. How had she failed to notice before that he was a shrugger? Was he just doing it to hide something? What was really going on?

[Rolling to Read a Luminark: 5+4+0=9 Is Luminark telling the truth?]
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

9. - Top - End - #1059

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    I should point out, that during your exchange, Tourniquet, Dodger, Hot Toddy and Deadeye are in the squad that takes the beepy stick off you Luminark.

They salute Milliway, and head off to the library. The little stick still going 'bing' all the while.
    It'll be back eventually!

Milliway's eyes narrowed as she watched the jerk give his carefree reply. It was odd to the point of creepy how quickly Luminark's moods changed, hell, if there were changelings about he'd be about as big a suspect as anyone, she figured.

She was really starting to see his ego present itself, it was something about that irritatingly arrogant shrug. Oh hell how she hated bloody shrugs. How had she failed to notice before that he was a shrugger? Was he just doing it to hide something? What was really going on?

[Rolling to Read a Luminark: 5+4+0=9 Is Luminark telling the truth?]
    Surprisingly: yes.

Luminark can be extremely high strung on some topics but on others he's completely and totally confident and it's not immediately obvious which is which. But perhaps, looking back on things a bit, there is a pattern. You see, Luminark believes in Destiny.

I mean, that's a bit like saying you believe in gravity or magic - Destiny is a real thing in Equestria, after all. What sets Luminark apart is that he seems to believe that Destiny is basically benevolent. He feels like so long as you're basically heading in the same direction as Destiny then you don't need to worry too much because it'll all sort itself out in the end, and he feels like whatever his dynamic with Starlight Glimmer is it fits comfortably into that category. Even if he doesn't know where it's going he reckons it's all going to be for the best. Indeed, that ideology is probably responsible for the extremely hooves-off approach he's taken with the entire Bunker.

And now that you're thinking about Destiny it occurs to you - you've never seen his cutie mark. As far as you know, nopony has. For somepony with such total confidence in Destiny he's gone out of his way all his life to keep anypony else from getting a glimpse at his.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-09-23 at 06:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Ogre in the Playground

The depth of Luminark's convictions, or delusion, it was hard to know exactly what to call the mind-mess going on inside his head, was startling to behold. Every time she thought she'd had him figured, that she truly thoughts she knew how unhinged he was he never failed to come back around and add whole new levels of it.

After only a moment's pause, as her eyes roamed over him, taking in the sheer extent of his arrogance, Milliway finally reacted.

With a snarl she lashed out a fierce metal-clad right hoof aimed straight across his face, and you can bet it comes with full force and intent, followed by her towering over you with a half-smirk of satisfaction on her face.

"That was for stealing my Tesla Claw," she declared with a voice thick with the temptation to dish out more of the same, "and giving it to a dog."

[Suckering Luminark for 1-harm metal-cuffed hoof applied with indignant fury]
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

11. - Top - End - #1061

The depth of Luminark's convictions, or delusion, it was hard to know exactly what to call the mind-mess going on inside his head, was startling to behold. Every time she thought she'd had him figured, that she truly thoughts she knew how unhinged he was he never failed to come back around and add whole new levels of it.

After only a moment's pause, as her eyes roamed over him, taking in the sheer extent of his arrogance, Milliway finally reacted.

With a snarl she lashed out a fierce metal-clad right hoof aimed straight across his face, and you can bet it comes with full force and intent, followed by her towering over you with a half-smirk of satisfaction on her face.

"That was for stealing my Tesla Claw," she declared with a voice thick with the temptation to dish out more of the same, "and giving it to a dog."

[Suckering Luminark for 1-harm metal-cuffed hoof applied with indignant fury]
    Luminark went down instantly in a heap of robes, crystal and jangly metallic bits. Say what you will about him but he knows how to satisfyingly crumple when hit.

"Okay," he says, muffled, from a defensive curled up ball with his hooves over his head. "Got it."

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Luminark went down instantly in a heap of robes, crystal and jangly metallic bits. Say what you will about him but he knows how to satisfyingly crumple when hit.

"Okay," he says, muffled, from a defensive curled up ball with his hooves over his head. "Got it."
    Considering how badly she'd wanted to force Luminark to his knees, to make him crawl, to make him beg, to make him see her might… it was wholly unexpected how it sickened her to actually see it before her. This was Luminark. Luminark. The root of her frustration and the object of her obsession for as long as she could remember. She'd looked up to him. Carried a torch for him. Sat him on a pedestal and marvelled at his concoctions and felt she had to apply every last ounce of brainpower just to keep up.

And look at him. He was likely the sorriest heap of cowering pony she'd ever seen.

I deserve better.

Milliway stepped up to the balled up unicorn and slowly leaned down, took his hooves in hers to reveal his face and leaned her own in close. She'd say this softly to spare him at least a little humiliation, but purely on account for who he'd once been, and this was the last of her mercy to come his way.

"You're pathetic."

[Rolling In-brain puppet strings on Luminark: 1+6+2=9 1 hold, Command: Impress me.]
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-09-27 at 03:53 AM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

13. - Top - End - #1063

Considering how badly she'd wanted to force Luminark to his knees, to make him crawl, to make him beg, to make him see her might… it was wholly unexpected how it sickened her to actually see it before her. This was Luminark. Luminark. The root of her frustration and the object of her obsession for as long as she could remember. She'd looked up to him. Carried a torch for him. Sat him on a pedestal and marvelled at his concoctions and felt she had to apply every last ounce of brainpower just to keep up.

And look at him. He was likely the sorriest heap of cowering pony she'd ever seen.

I deserve better.

Milliway stepped up to the balled up unicorn and slowly leaned down, took his hooves in hers to reveal his face and leaned her own in close. She'd say this softly to spare him at least a little humiliation, but purely on account for who he'd once been, and this was the last of her mercy to come his way.

"You're pathetic."

[Rolling In-brain puppet strings on Luminark: 1+6+2=9 1 hold, Command: Impress me.]
    Luminark looked up at Milliway. And again, it wasn't exactly fear in his eyes. His nose was a little bloody, yes, but his expression is more exasperated than terrified.

He puts his hoof on Milliway's chest.

And then he disintegrates. Crackles and crumbles apart in a shower of dust.

And then Milliway disintegrates.

It doesn't feel like anything but it is still the full and unabridged experience of transforming into ash and crumbling apart.

[The Mother's Heartbeat: 14

Withdrawing into the world's psychic maelstrom, bringing Milliway with me and healed of all harm. (I mean, I'm only down 1-harm, but that's subject to change...)]

You emerge into a nightmare realm. A twisted ghostly hive rotten through like decaying bread, constantly shifting and shaping. Here and there ghostly, translucent ponies stand all about, conversing idly and staring intently at Milliway. There are many copies of the same ponies, including copies of the legendary Ministry Mares - the most recognizable being Twilight Sparkle, the Minister for Arcane Science, of which Our Bunker is but an isolated division.

And upon a throne of black stone and twisted green crystal sits Luminark.

"Are you honestly for real, Milliway?" said Luminark, holding out one hoof. A yellow and pink pegasus pony rushes up to polish it and dab away the blood from his nose. "Impress you? You're so out of control that you throw the first punch and you call me pathetic?"

He straightened himself in his chair. "You have changed, Milliway. Ever since that awful bloody mask was welded to your face you've changed, and not for the better. You used to build things. You used to explore things. You used to be a legitimate prodigy in the art of arcane science - you used to have the drive, the motivation and the magic to make permanent changes to the world. And I was in awe, Milliway!" He gestured expansively around his enormous throne room. "I thought you were the smartest pony in the bunker! You had more magic in your hooves and devices than any ten unicorns you could pick here, myself included!"

He sneered and leaned back in his chair. "And now? Look at you. You used to be terrified of the Friendship Patrol. Mouthbreathing idiots to a pony, ruling through exploratory violence. I got rid of them because they did that to you. And now you've become them. I went through all the bother of overthrowing Starlight Glimmer because I thought she'd done something to your mind - that she was controlling you somehow, making you stomp around beating up dumb machines and generally wasting that big, beautiful brain of yours. I ran every test and cast every counterspell I could think of while you were asleep to make sure that there wasn't any lingering influence. And within minutes of waking up you're already mashing jaw with that diseased ingrate whatsisname, and minutes after that you're back at the head of the dullest thugs you could get together and you're trying to intimidate me? With physical violence!?"

He took a deep breath. "And if that's what you want out of life, I'll play the part," said Luminark, voice overflowing with contempt. "If your ambitions run no higher than pushing around those weaker than you, slumming it with garbageponies, if you want to see me grovel at your hooves, then you can have it. I'll do that to make you happy. As a gesture of respect to the Milliway I used to know and care about. The Milliway that created miraculous artificial intelligences and figured out a way to use the Crystal Heart as an active power source and whose homework I stole on the regular. I will even wipe your memories of this little showdown so you can spend the rest of your life in simplistic bliss."

He leaned forwards in his chair, and his eyes were huge and ghostly, streaming through with emerald fire. "Or," he said, "You can get a bucking grip. You can remember who you are. And you can think through," he gestured around, "this problem like a scientist."
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2018-09-27 at 08:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

It was hard to remain towering, menacing and impressive when some jerk goes and evaporates your whole self in to some funky ash and teleport you to some Princessesforsaken helldimension which may or may not be packed to the rafters with Changelings or any other stuff of nightmares. Still, Milliway gave it a shot, as in, she remained more or less standing (if a little down on her rear haunches), she clenched her jaws, but more out of determination than anger and she remained almost completely still.

It was hard not to notice the throne and, yeah, it was an actual real throne too. Like you saw in illustrated storybooks. Luminark's transformation was extreme. He was suddenly nothing like the cowering heap of seconds before. He was actually doing the towering menace thing himself and he was saying a bunch of words, she heard most of them, but it was kind of hard to focus when every last one of your senses has been cut off from any tangible point of reference.

"House." Milliway breathed inside her mask, barely above her breath. "House, are you reading this?"

[Rolling Norman: 3+4+2=9 Seeking advice from House on what to do.]
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-09-27 at 01:03 PM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ettin in the Playground

"House." Milliway breathed inside her mask, barely above her breath. "House, are you reading this?"

[Rolling Norman: 3+4+2=9 Seeking advice from House on what to do.]
    "I am" replies House's voice in your ear. "... although I kiiinnd of wish I wasn't. There's a lot to process here: Necromantic readings are off the charts, and there's plenty of plain old magic thrown in along with a mix of something else ..."

Information begins streaming across your HUD, although House keeps it contained to the side so as not to interfere with your vision.

"That transportation method was pretty distinct though. The good news, is that I believe I got enough that I can try recreating it from this end - although being able to teleport back here will be much more difficult for reasons I'll get to later - I can at least get us home."

"Bad news is that I'm not confident our weapons will have much effect on any of the ponies of this place, not without a lot of modifications. They probably know it too. In the basic question of fight or flight? I'd be definitely recommending flight."

"This place is just too strange. Those ponies there, for example, seem familiar. Remind me of … sunshine over green grass …" he continues, as the HUD paints a reticule over the four copies of the MAS ministry mare. "Even though they're obviously not the real her."

"The more I see …. I don't like this place. I hate this place." he continues, voice shaking with unusual emotion. "We should get out of here, prepare properly before we're brought back."

"And then burn it all to the ground."

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, that is intolerable. Somepony from outside has broken my little pony's heart, and I don't even know who they are?

"Well, you'll have to introduce me," I growl, "so I can be properly motherly at them. Only the best is good enough for you. Are they local? They must be, if you can spare time from the bunker to visit them on a daily basis." Ooooh, they'll learn not to mess with my little pony. That pony will make him happy, I swear it!
    Oh good. Good. We're still talking about this. Great. Cool. Fine.

"Well, the Peregrine drives real fast, and I'm real good at driving it, so she's gonna be way too far for you to visit." He crossed his forelegs moodily. "And, she's busy too, so who knows when she can visit, so, yeah. Probably won't happen for a while."

(Now, this might be wholly unnecessary here, but I feel obligated to offer: Would you like to Read a Pony?)

17. - Top - End - #1067

Oh good. Good. We're still talking about this. Great. Cool. Fine.

"Well, the Peregrine drives real fast, and I'm real good at driving it, so she's gonna be way too far for you to visit." He crossed his forelegs moodily. "And, she's busy too, so who knows when she can visit, so, yeah. Probably won't happen for a while."

(Now, this might be wholly unnecessary here, but I feel obligated to offer: Would you like to Read a Pony?)
    "Oh well. I suppose that since we have the peregrine now, we ought to stop by to see her on the way home," I grump.

[Oh gosh, please yes.
    5,3, +2. [10]
    How could I get your character to spill the beans on this new lover he has?
    How can I get him to willingly sit still long enough for thoughts to catch up with him?]

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    "I am" replies House's voice in your ear. "... although I kiiinnd of wish I wasn't. There's a lot to process here: Necromantic readings are off the charts, and there's plenty of plain old magic thrown in along with a mix of something else ..."

Information begins streaming across your HUD, although House keeps it contained to the side so as not to interfere with your vision.

"That transportation method was pretty distinct though. The good news, is that I believe I got enough that I can try recreating it from this end - although being able to teleport back here will be much more difficult for reasons I'll get to later - I can at least get us home."

"Bad news is that I'm not confident our weapons will have much effect on any of the ponies of this place, not without a lot of modifications. They probably know it too. In the basic question of fight or flight? I'd be definitely recommending flight."

"This place is just too strange. Those ponies there, for example, seem familiar. Remind me of … sunshine over green grass …" he continues, as the HUD paints a reticule over the four copies of the MAS ministry mare. "Even though they're obviously not the real her."

"The more I see …. I don't like this place. I hate this place." he continues, voice shaking with unusual emotion. "We should get out of here, prepare properly before we're brought back."

"And then burn it all to the ground."
    "Agreed," Milliway breathed, grateful for her mask hiding her moving lips, "But how in Equestria are we going to be able to get back here?"
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ettin in the Playground

"Agreed," Milliway breathed, grateful for her mask hiding her moving lips, "But how in Equestria are we going to be able to get back here?"
    "Look, I don't know my five dimensional physics that well - but I've managed to grab a lot of data on the way in." replies House. "I'm sure either you or somepony else back home can make use of it. Or, worst comes to worst, just get him to drag you back here again."

"He seems to like to talk … you going to answer him?"

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

Milliway stood up a little taller and straightened her neck.

"It takes a You to reveal this kind of hidden HQ and then sit there on some... chaos throne and with a straight face tell me I've changed." Milliway said darkly, beginning a slow walk about the room as she spoke to give House a chance to perhaps add to his readings.

"Look at this place," she went on, waving a hoof, "it's like straight out of some Changeling horror story- makes me wonder if this Changeling everypony's panicking about is in fact your doing. Or you. Talk about change. I mean- I died, and had to be resuscitated, undergo extensive restorative surgeries, not to mention hours of physiotherapy just to learn to walk again... yeah, that changes a pony. What the hell's your excuse, Luminark? 'Cause I've spied through your bedroom keyhole many times over the years and it never looked like some kind of... toxic... nightmare... hive." She waved a hoof at the scenery as she tried to find the words to describe it. It took some doing.

"Are you going through some kind of phase, Luminark?"
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-09-30 at 02:08 PM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh well. I suppose that since we have the peregrine now, we ought to stop by to see her on the way home," I grump.
    The Scrapscallion grumped in a suitably noncommittal matter.

At least now, this topic of conversation was over, forever, and they'd never have to address it again.

How could I get your character to spill the beans on this new lover he has?
    That's...gonna be tricky, on account of the fact that she...super doesn't exist. :I

But before you get too cross, this is still valuable information. Doubly so when paired with what you already know:

The Scrapscallion has no lover + The Scrapscallion has had his heart broken to smithereens = The Scrapscallion had a lover. Or, to be more accurate, there was somepony in his life that he cared deeply for - who he is notably not currently with - and this pony broke his heart in return.

And let me ask you a question in return: Apart from the few weeks you just had in the medbay, how closely do you follow the Scrapscallion's schedule? Do you know when he comes and goes, and where he heads off to?

How can I get him to willingly sit still long enough for thoughts to catch up with him?
    You're not going to get anywhere with this semi-direct approach; the Scrapscallion's got too much pride for that. He's much too fidgety - and troubled - to sit still on command. He's got a lifetime of treating emotional trauma with constant motion, and that's not a habit you can break in one evening.

Way I see it, you have two options:

Option 1: Camp here for the night. He's got to lay down and rest eventually, and when he does, there'll be no hiding from his thoughts. That's when the dam'll burst, though you may not have the necessary support in place when it happens. The risk is that he'll break down, and you won't be able to hold him together.

Option 2: You've seen the Scrapscallion under the knife, back when you saved his life. Of all the fake alicorns in Equestria, he believes you're the only true Princess he's ever met. In spite of countless failed attempts to place him on an org chart, the unchanging truth is that he's always done as you asked him, to the best of his ability. You might be the only pony alive with the emotional connection necessary to see him through this storm. Stop coming at this like a scientist, trying to ferret out the facts and deduce the equation that'll fix this wayward pony.

Come at this like a mother, and ask your son if there's anything on his mind.

I should warn you, though: This approach carries a high risk of close contact with him. You might end up spreading your affliction, even as you help heal his heart.

22. - Top - End - #1072

Milliway stood up a little taller and straightened her neck.

"It takes a You to reveal this kind of hidden HQ and then sit there on some... chaos throne and with a straight face tell me I've changed." Milliway said darkly, beginning a slow walk about the room as she spoke to give House a chance to perhaps add to his readings.

"Look at this place," she went on, waving a hoof, "it's like straight out of some Changeling horror story- makes me wonder if this Changeling everypony's panicking about is in fact your doing. Or you. Talk about change. I mean- I died, and had to be resuscitated, undergo extensive restorative surgeries, not to mention hours of physiotherapy just to learn to walk again... yeah, that changes a pony. What the hell's your excuse, Luminark? 'Cause I've spied through your bedroom keyhole many times over the years and it never looked like some kind of... toxic... nightmare... hive." She waved a hoof at the scenery as she tried to find the words to describe it. It took some doing.

"Are you going through some kind of phase, Luminark?"
    "You've spied through my what?" said Luminark, abruptly thrown off his monologuing stride.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

"You've spied through my what?" said Luminark, abruptly thrown off his monologuing stride.
    Milliway wasn't sure why that was the part that got a rise out of him but what mattered was that she'd got a reaction, that was enough for a brief but wicked smile to herself.

"You heard me," she said with satisfaction and resumed her slow walk about the room, her eyes remaining on Luminark.

"There was a time I thought it was the only way I'd ever get to see you truly Naked, without your stupid hat and robes and scarves and puffed up ego blubber. Besides, like you just pointed out, I'm a scientist. You don't think I'd ever fail to seize any opportunity to conduct thorough and extensive Observation, do you?"
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

24. - Top - End - #1074

Milliway wasn't sure why that was the part that got a rise out of him but what mattered was that she'd got a reaction, that was enough for a brief but wicked smile to herself.

"You heard me," she said with satisfaction and resumed her slow walk about the room, her eyes remaining on Luminark.

"There was a time I thought it was the only way I'd ever get to see you truly Naked, without your stupid hat and robes and scarves and puffed up ego blubber. Besides, like you just pointed out, I'm a scientist. You don't think I'd ever fail to seize any opportunity to conduct thorough and extensive Observation, do you?"
    "Hrmph," hrmphed Luminark, blushing faintly. He took a moment to compose himself. Darn it, he'd been in the flow. He'd even done the eyefire thing and that was a really tricky technique - he couldn't just do that on command. Focus, there's nothing there that was revelatory, just additional context he was unaware of. Focus.

"Anyway," he said maybe too firmly. "That's not what this is about. What this is about is me remind you there are real, higher concerns you should be engaging with. The secrets of magic and the cosmos, of which this realm is one of many. If administrative work is a waste of my talents then stomping around in jackboots is definitely a waste of yours."

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hrmph," hrmphed Luminark, blushing faintly. He took a moment to compose himself. Darn it, he'd been in the flow. He'd even done the eyefire thing and that was a really tricky technique - he couldn't just do that on command. Focus, there's nothing there that was revelatory, just additional context he was unaware of. Focus.

"Anyway," he said maybe too firmly. "That's not what this is about. What this is about is me remind you there are real, higher concerns you should be engaging with. The secrets of magic and the cosmos, of which this realm is one of many. If administrative work is a waste of my talents then stomping around in jackboots is definitely a waste of yours."
    "And yet, here we are," Milliway said as she paused her steps, "me in my 'boots' and you with your... very fine pin."

"Wasting our time."

She looked at him up there on his genuinely unsettling throne as the words hung in the air, gaining meaning with every silent moment.

Princesses, what if he really is a Changeling.

"What the hell is this place, Luminark?" Milliway finally asked, her voice serious and disapproving.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-09-30 at 06:48 PM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

26. - Top - End - #1076

That's...gonna be tricky, on account of the fact that she...super doesn't exist. :I
    Don't be silly. You were just telling me about her.

Wait.

You... you lied to me? I expect that from the ponies of the bunker. It is, after all, a cesspit of ponies who are simultaneously striving to clamber over each other in pursuit of academic accolades, all while trying to avoid being so gifted that Equality has to reduce them.

But you? I thought you were... outside that.

But before you get too cross, this is still valuable information.
    I'm not mad. Just disappointed. I may give you guff about your intelligence, but I thought you were better than the ponies I guide.

And let me ask you a question in return: Apart from the few weeks you just had in the medbay, how closely do you follow the Scrapscallion's schedule? Do you know when he comes and goes, and where he heads off to?
    No more or less than any other pony in the Bunker. That is to say, I keep fairly good profiles of where and when you sleep, work, and relax. However, I'm just one pony, competent as I am, and can't watch every camera at once. Things slip past me.

Option 2: You've seen the Scrapscallion under the knife, back when you saved his life. Of all the fake alicorns in Equestria, he believes you're the only true Princess he's ever met. In spite of countless failed attempts to place him on an org chart, the unchanging truth is that he's always done as you asked him, to the best of his ability. You might be the only pony alive with the emotional connection necessary to see him through this storm. Stop coming at this like a scientist, trying to ferret out the facts and deduce the equation that'll fix this wayward pony.

Come at this like a mother, and ask your son if there's anything on his mind.

I should warn you, though: This approach carries a high risk of close contact with him. You might end up spreading your affliction, even as you help heal his heart.
    Ooookay then. Motherly. Right. That's doable and definitely not going to suffer from treating two centuries' worth of ponies like mice in a maze. Incompetent mice, at that.

I stop shuffling papers and, distractedly, set the desk in order before shambling over to schlump into the bench next to you. "Scrapscallion, do you trust me?"
    Last edited by Balmas; 2018-09-30 at 07:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1077

"And yet, here we are," Milliway said as she paused her steps, "me in my 'boots' and you with your... very fine pin."

"Wasting our time."

She looked at him up there on his genuinely unsettling throne as the words hung in the air, gaining meaning with every silent moment.

Princesses, what if he really is a Changeling.

"What the hell is this place, Luminark?" Milliway finally asked, her voice serious and disapproving.
    "Behold, for you stand within THE UNDERWORLD," said Luminark, gesturing dramatically about him. "And all the tortured souls you see all about you are MY HOST OF THE DEAD AND DAMNED! WAH HA HA HA HA HA!"

He had been practicing that line literally all his life. He reckoned he nailed it.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Titan in the Playground

Don't be silly. You were just telling me about her.

Wait.

You... you lied to me? I expect that from the ponies of the bunker. It is, after all, a cesspit of ponies who are simultaneously striving to clamber over each other in pursuit of academic accolades, all while trying to avoid being so gifted that Equality has to reduce them.

But you? I thought you were... outside that.
    Since it directly relates to your question, I think it's only fair to mention that's not what he first told you. Initially, he told you he wasn't seeing anypony, apart from the usual hordes of pretty mares that are in his life all the time because he's awesome. Only when you prompted him with the notion of a single lover did the hypothetical cloud of mares collapse into a single pony.

Make of that what you will.

No more or less than any other pony in the Bunker. That is to say, I keep fairly good profiles of where and when you sleep, work, and relax. However, I'm just one pony, competent as I am, and can't watch every camera at once. Things slip past me.
    Then I'll also give you that the smart money's on this mystery pony being a Bunker pony. Things slip past you, but you've got a good enough idea of his travel schedule to guess that he probably wasn't seeing someone on the Outside. Probably.

Ooookay then. Motherly. Right. That's doable and definitely not going to suffer from treating two centuries' worth of ponies like mice in a maze. Incompetent mice, at that.

I stop shuffling papers and, distractedly, set the desk in order before shambling over to schlump into the bench next to you. "Scrapscallion, do you trust me?"
    The Scrapscallion -still lying in a huffy heap - finagled his neck around to look her way. "Yeah. Sure. Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda coming out of nowhere here, maybe weirding me out a little, but hey; I answered. Guess that means I trust you plenty." He shrugged, satisfied with this flawless reasoning.

29. - Top - End - #1079

The Scrapscallion -still lying in a huffy heap - finagled his neck around to look her way. "Yeah. Sure. Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda coming out of nowhere here, maybe weirding me out a little, but hey; I answered. Guess that means I trust you plenty." He shrugged, satisfied with this flawless reasoning.
    "Then, in the interest of keeping that trust, I'm going to tell you the truth." I sigh, slump back, and lean my head against the wall. "And the truth... the truth is... Well, there is no registry of late books, first of all. There might be a Tight Bun somewhere who may even have been ghoulified and a total stickler for late fees, but I don't know her. The reason I asked to stop at a library was because... I'm worried, child. Worried for you, worried about you. You're hurting right now.

"I don't know who did it. I don't know who she is, or why she made you unhappy. About the only thing I know is that she's not a nameless pony who's too busy to see us and who lives too far to see but who is close enough to visit on the Peregrine but not now."

"You say you trust me. I believe you, and I'm glad of it." Slowly, I lower my head to be at eye level with the Scrapscallion. "I don't wanna weird you out. But can you trust me enough to... tell me what's going on? I care about you. This is hurting you, and it's tearing me up to see you like this. Help me help you. Please?"

Huh. That's what that feels like.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2018-09-30 at 10:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ogre in the Playground

"Behold, for you stand within THE UNDERWORLD," said Luminark, gesturing dramatically about him. "And all the tortured souls you see all about you are MY HOST OF THE DEAD AND DAMNED! WAH HA HA HA HA HA!"

He had been practicing that line literally all his life. He reckoned he nailed it.
    Milliway looked at him, silent, nay dumbfounded, as she let the echo of his maniacal laughter die down amongst the halls of this... place. It was well done, sure. Yeah, no, she was savvy enough to see the work behind that display. Not that it changed anything, if anything it just made it even more...

Milliway bent her head to look away, in an effort to gather enough oxygen to her brain to be able to formulate words. It took concerted effort not to visibly cringe.

The first feeling that bubbled to the surface was a multifaceted sense of Relief.

Thank Heavens that nopony else actually saw that.

Thank Heavens nopony actually knew how she felt used to feel for the ponyshaped heap of idiocy that just did that.

She opened her mouth to speak but nothing came. She opened a little wider, pushed her vocal chords a little harder and finally a forced sound came out followed by something. Anything.

"...haawhh w... well done." Milliway rubbed her forehead, feeling as if a headache was brewing behind her eyes.

Not her best. But she could perhaps work work with that, if only he would stop being... f'cking Luminark… for just one minute.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol