New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Savage Tide I IC

Tyndall

Momentarily confused by his own team's charade and the hubbub of shouting, Tyndall nevertheless registers that the jig is up and violence is at hand. He leaps out from behind his tiny barrel, bow in hand. "A-ha!"

Spoiler: twang
    Show
    The joys of BAB+0. No drawing a weapon and chewing gum at the same time.

Move action: Draw longbow.
    Standard action: Ready an attack vs anyone attacking us, preferably a mook approaching Locksley. Longbow (1d20+1)[9] damage (1d8)[1]+ acid (1d6)[3] Edit: clearly a warning shot

I'm guessing from this map that the nearest enemy is at least 20ft away from Tyndall.

Tyndall Jarispur
    M CG Human Marshal 1, Level 1, Init 2, HP 11/11, Speed 20ft
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Scimitar +0 (1d6, 18-20/ x2)
    Longbow (20 arrows) +1 (1d8, x3)
    Chainmail armour,
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 16
    Condition Master of Tactics: All allies within 60ft get +3 circumstance bonus to damage when flanking
    Dragonfire Inspiration: +1d6 acid damage
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-07-23 at 02:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

Grimgor grinned as he raised the pike. "'Oye, now ye be seekin' me language." Grimgor heard the threat from the other side of the ship, be he wasn't about to wait for them to actually draw their weapons before he did something - damn pirate had threatened to gut him.

Now it was time to show them the error of their ways.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Five foot step if necessary, initiate Steely Strike (attack two opponents) - hopefully one will be Vark (1st attack vs Vark, if possible). He should already be in his stance, but if not swift to enter.

Attack 1 - (1d20+4)[21], Damage - (3d6+3)[13], Acid - (1d6)[2]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+4)[12], Damage - (3d6+3)[14], Acid - (1d6)[2]

Status
    HPs: 15; AC: 15
    F +5, R +2, W +1
    Listen/Search/Spot +1; Balance +5; Concentration +7
    Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage; -2 AC)
    Steely strike, Moment of Perfect Mind, Charging Minotaur (3/3)
    Effects: Stance, Inspiration
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Chaos breaks out on deck as the party is spotted at Vark shouts his threats... Locksley's song changes subtlety growing in power, inspiring your blows and leaving weapons glowing with a bronze finish.

At the stern Lara draws her sword shout loudly but her voice is drowned out by the roar of the drunken pirates, Tyndall draws his bow and shoots as a pirate moves at Locksley but the arrow thuds into a barrel. Grimgor is brutal as he draws his long dwarven warpike and drives it forward with great force seeking to skewer Vark and the man behind him! The blow is brutal stabbing through Vark burning with acid before taking the man behind in the throat! The man collapses as Vark curses....

At the back Tienne blinks 20ft straight down, appearing in the galley. Dirty pans and plates and open crates of supplies suggests a lack of culinary skills. The door lead bow wards you think will lead you into the main hold.

Vark manages to draw free his cutlass and takes a step to drive his sword into Grimgor as do two of his men as they run forward into range of the long warpike,one going for Locksley.
    The last one on deck turns and draws a throwing axe hurling it at Tyndall!
    Below decks you hear shouts from Garl and another sailor as they are alerted!

Spoiler: Pirates
    Show

Vark 5ft step and stab
    (1d20+5)[22] dam (1d6+2)[4]

2 pirates (both trigger AoO from Warpike - but you've only got one AoO)
    Vs Grimgor (1d20+3)[17] dam (1d6+2)[8]
    Vs Locksley (1d20+3)[7] dam (1d6+2)[4]

Throwing axe vs Tyndall
    Move to 15ft away
    (1d20+3)[21] dam (1d6+2)[5]
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Locksley

Locksley winces as the dwarf takes a blow meant for him.

Ducking the wild swing of the brigand, Locksley continues to sing, choosing a dwarven marching song to honour his brave friend.

And we will march five hundred miles
    And we will march five hundred more
    Just to kill a thousand orcs
    And change the magic password
    On our doooooooooooooor!
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-24 at 02:01 AM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

Grimgor ginned as his pike cut down one of his foes, even if Vark managed to survive. The cuss managed to draw a blade a slip into Grimor's reach, slicing deeply into his side. The dwarf nodded at the man, knowing this one would be a challenge. "Ye be a quick f)&ker, aye? Let the dance go on ... try 'n keep up."

As two men moved in to attack, the pike lashed out. Then Grimgor stepped back, focused and swung again at his opponent.

Show
    Five foot step back, swift action to recover maneuvers with a melee attack.

AOO - (1d20+4)[19], Damage - (3d6+4)[21], Acid - (1d6)[4]
    Attack - (1d20+4)[17], Damage - (3d6+4)[12], Acid - (1d6)[6] PS - Vark should have one more point of damage from last time since I miscalculated my Str bonus

Status
    HPs: 11 or 3; AC: 15
    F +5, R +2, W +1
    Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage; -2 AC)
    Effects: Stance, Inspiration

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyndall

Tyndall smiles, quite pleased with the prowess of his new companion the dwarf as Grimgor starts laying about. He sees the ruffian approaching from the corner of his eye and the axe whirling fast toward him. He tries to duck back but the blade slices neatly through chainmail links leaving a large gash on his upper leg before thunking into the railing.

"Gah! Come on then!" he taunts, emboldened by his newfound companions and righteous task for the noble benefactor. He shoots again at the fast approaching thug but somehow manages to completely miss the man.

Spoiler: point blank arrow of mediocrity
    Show
    Standard action: Longbow vs sailor (1d20+1)[9] damage (1d8)[3]+ acid (1d6)[4]
    Free action: Drop longbow
    Move action: Draw scimitar

Tyndall Jarispur
    M CG Human Marshal 1, Level 1, Init 2, HP 6/11, Speed 20ft
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 15, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Longbow (20 arrows) +1 (1d8, x3)
    Chainmail armour, [B] (+5 Armor, +0 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Condition Master of Tactics: All allies within 60ft get +3 circumstance bonus to damage when flanking
    Dragonfire Inspiration: +1d6 acid damage
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-07-24 at 03:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

Lara, quick-footed, steps behind the guard assaulting Tyndall. Her sword describes a mighty arc!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage: (2d6+6)[14] plus (1d6)[2] acid

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

'Tienne

Below decks, 'Tienne tries to sneak up to the galley door to peek into the hold.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action up to the door – which I hope is at least partly open.
    Move Silently - (1d20+4)[24]

EDIT: Does the galley door open in or out?
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-24 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    history's worst MLP cosplay.
    Custom Class

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

The elf is befuddled by the sudden move to violence. Quickly adjusting herself to the new reality, she draws her bow and looses an arrow at the enemy assaulting Tyndall.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage: (1d8)[8], lethal.

DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

On the deck the fighting gets up close and personal as the axe slashes across Tyndall's leg and Vark manages to nick the angry spear wielding dwarf. Sadly the other purate rushing in to stab Grimgor is less skilled and howls as he is pierced through the chest, some 3ft of pike protruding from him, before Grimgor swings the body around preventing the other one reaching Locklsey. The bard switches songs to a horrible proclaiming he'd walk 500 miles and the sound distracts Vark so that the dwarf is easily able to slip forward and drive his pike through Vark's throat, the criminal collapsing bubbling curses as he dies! The pirate attacking Tyndall barely has time to ready his cutlass before Lara jumps down beside him, a powerful swing of her sword almost disembowelling the hapless pirate!

The last pirate on deck by Locksley and Grimgor looks around before withdrawing to the bow and launching himself with a splash into the bay and striking out for shore. You don't fancy his chances as you can make out out a couple of small V-shaped fins moving towards him!

In the hold Tienne creeps to the door and peers into the messy and busy hold. Crates are ripped open, cloth, fabrics and bottles gleaming in the stripes of light filtering between the deck planks above. The port side wall is lined with cages, most empty, some with shackles suggesting humanoid prisoners and some with odd looking animals. The largest maybe 10ft in front of him bearing a massive vermin like creature!

By the crate, clutching a lantern and a cutlass you can see the guard looking at the trapdoor onto the deck with a fearful expression. One highlighted as a dead pirate slumps across the entrance with a massive hole torn through his chest, blood leaking down the stairs, the weird spider beast starting to get visibly agitated!

No pirates left. The dwarf killed them all! Go go party

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

Lara wipes the blade from her sword, but leaves it unsheathed for now.

"Taut work all. Hey Grimgor! Nice moves! That was what, three? Four? I think we can give credit for four." She congratulates. "Amara, see to our wounds."

Lara swaggers up to the main hatch, gesturing for Locksley to join her. She taps the frame with her sword for attention.

"Ahoy down there! The ship is ours, and your mates are dead! Don't be stupid like them, you hear!? Nobody's getting harmed who gives us no trouble."

Spoiler
    Show
    Cunning Diplomacy, aid another. DC10(1d20+2)[9]

12. - Top - End - #102

Locksley

With the battle over, Locksley ceases his tune. Seeing the wound on Grimgor, the bard again cringes.

"The blood of the Great Thanes of Auld runs true in you, my friend, he says respectfully.

Reaching into his stylish man-purse, he hands Grimgor a cure light wounds potion.

He then joins Lara at the hatch.

"Your man Vark is dead! There is no need to answer for his sins! Drop your weapons and leave in peace!"

Spoiler: Dip
    Show
    (1d20+6)[26]

"You can even keep the wine!"
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-26 at 08:45 AM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

The elf rushes over to heal the wounded. Blessings of the Dolphin Prince upon you. Soon, you shall be as fit and ready to fight as a great Shark."

Spoiler
    Show
    CLW: (1d8+1)[6]

I also have 3 Cure Minor Wounds, if we need more healing.
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

With two swift blows, Grimgor fell the rushing pirate and dropped Vark with a blow to the neck. As the man died, Grimgor shook his head. "Yer mouth was quicker than yer feet, lad ..." Within seconds, another man fell to Lady Lara, and the last chose death by shark. Shrugging, he cleaned off his pike and shoulder the weapon as he gazed around the deck. Looking back at the fancy man handing him a potion, he nodded his thanks. "Nice song. Tasty drink. Thanks."

Now that the battle was complete, Grimgor looked around, ignoring the complements - killing this lot was like beating children at a wrestling contest. "Now wha?"

Show
    If spells are a' comin' then Grim will take one of those and save the potion. Otherwise, he'll drink. Searching the bodies of the nearest pirates ... Vark first

Status
    HPs: 11; AC: 17
    F +5, R +2, W +1
    Effects: none

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyndall

Tyndall winces at his throbbing leg as the elf tends to the wound. "My thanks, Amara. Well, they were a violent lot, but no match for us." He gingerly walks over to the hatch, scimitar in hand in case the lone guard tries anything. His eyes widen at the cages and beasts within "I take it that's not our Lady Vanderboren's collection of pets...?!".

Spoiler: heals
    Show

I'll happily take a Cure Minor. I agree: use Amara's CLW on Grimgor and save the potion if we don't need it right now.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

'Tienne

. . . And what are you?? 'Tienne thinks, as he eyes the caged arthropod.
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Tienne has read a fair amount of random stuff (Jack of all Trades), so does he recognize the beasty? Knowledge Check - (1d20+1)[19]
    (Unless it's a psionic creature, in which case, add another +1 to that.)

"Your man Vark is dead! There is no need to answer for his sins! Drop your weapons and leave in peace!"

"You can even keep the wine!"
    Woe! Not so fast." 'Tienne raises his hand to block the exit of the last "sailor." "I think this man has some explaining to do to the harbor master – In. Our. Presence. So we know he'll speak the truth.

"We came here to recover monies stolen from our patron by this Mr. Vark. Mr. Vark attempted to have his crew set upon us and kill us – the actions of someone up to no good.

"Having defended ourselves –

Spoiler: 'Tienne thinks
    Show
    (Well, the rest of you defended "ourselves" and did so very nicely – I suppose it looked like I was hiding beneath decks.)

"We find that Mr. Vark has apparently been trying to use our patron's ship for some nefarious purpose.

"I think you'd best start talking, now.
    " 'Tienne does his best to look intimidating – something that has never been his forté.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate - (1d20)[18]

Edit: Wow! I may have actually looked intimidating, without even shaping a meld for it!

Edit2: No, let's face it: Grimgor must have just looked down into the hold, still gripping his bloody pike.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-26 at 05:20 PM.
    Custom Class

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

In the water there is a rush of a fin, a scream of the swimming sailor and a hand grasping at the surface before being dragged down by a long powerful looking shark. A trail of red slowly blossoming on the water as a few fishermen and boat folk on the docks give a quiet clap or wry cheer. Sasserine isn't the most sypmapthetic of places!

In the hold the last man steps back, banging against the cage filled with the angry spider. He looks up, puzzled really, as Lara speaks but nodding more happily at Locksley's words. "Don't be killing me now. I ain't done nothing wrong, I didn't try and stab you." He jumps as Tienne walks in from behind him, whirling around. "How did you get there? EH, you been sneaking ***, ARGGHHHH....... the last cut off as the spidery beast that Tienne recognises as a rhagodessa riled by the proximity of its captor and the flaming torch throws itself at the bars and tears the shoddy lock off. Free it pounces upon poor Garl, the front two legs legs studded with large sticky pseudopodes grabbing the pirate before the pincers tear into the face ripping through muscle and skull with ease!

Now free it looks about with compound eyes at the small man some 10ft from it and the "prey" at the top of the narrow stairs!

The beast is free! Players to go

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    In the water there is a rush of a fin, a scream of the swimming sailor and a hand grasping at the surface before being dragged down by a long powerful looking shark. A trail of red slowly blossoming on the water as a few fishermen and boat folk on the docks give a quiet clap or wry cheer. Sasserine isn't the most sypmapthetic of places!

In the hold the last man steps back, banging against the cage filled with the angry spider. He looks up, puzzled really, as Lara speaks but nodding more happily at Locksley's words. "Don't be killing me now. I ain't done nothing wrong, I didn't try and stab you." He jumps as Tienne walks in from behind him, whirling around. "How did you get there? EH, you been sneaking ***, ARGGHHHH....... the last cut off as the spidery beast that Tienne recognises as a rhagodessa riled by the proximity of its captor and the flaming torch throws itself at the bars and tears the shoddy lock off. Free it pounces upon poor Garl, the front two legs legs studded with large sticky pseudopodes grabbing the pirate before the pincers tear into the face ripping through muscle and skull with ease!

Now free it looks about with compound eyes at the small man some 10ft from it and the "prey" at the top of the narrow stairs!

The beast is free! Players to go
    Lara
    Lara rolls her eyes at the foolish guard getting himself eaten.

"'Tienne, get back up here," she instructs. "We'll fight it on deck."

She circles round to place herself on the opposite side of the hatch to Grimgor.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

'Tienne

'Tienne stares at the monster as it devours the unfortunate sailor. In his mind's eye, he sees the words on manuscript page below a similar-looking drawing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quirrel's Vermin Compendium
    The rhagodessa is a giant spider-like carnivore, about the size of a small horse with long, spindly legs. It has an oversized head and mandibles coloured yellow, and a dark brown thorax. From a distance, it is often mistaken for a monstrous spider. Unlike spiders, a rhagodessa does not spin webs and is not venomous. It has five pairs of legs; the front pair ending in suckers that help the creature grasp its prey.

Rhagodessae are nocturnal carnivores, hunting only in the dark.

When attacking the rhagodessa fights with its suckered pedipalps and bite, usually attempting to grab smaller creatures and then retreat to its lair for feeding.
    "It's a rhagodessa, sort of like a giant jumping spider," he calls up to the others. Salticidae. I respect hunting spiders "Don't let it grab you." (Like that wouldn't be obvious?)

To give the others more time to prepare, he keeps his eyes on the creature while getting ready to move as soon as it attacks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Free action talk, talk, talk, think, think, think.
    Move action to step back 5' – give me a little more time to react.
    Standard action: ready an action to blink up to the deck if the thing tries to attack me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, I want a pet jumping spider.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-27 at 10:53 AM.
    Custom Class

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

After attending to her companion's wounds, the elf drops back to the far end of the deck, grabs her trusty bow and knocks two arrows. Under her breath she whispers, "I hate spiders!"

Spoiler: Ready an Action
    Show
    Ready an action to Rapid Shot!

Attack 1: (1d20+1)[2] // (1d8)[4]
    Attack 2: (1d20+1)[9] // (1d8)[4]

DMing:

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

The dwarf cocked his head as he heard the scream ring out from the water below. Shaking his head, he continued to search the dead crewmen. However, when a scream echoed out from below deck, he rose up, pulling his pike free. "Wot in the nine 'ells ...?" Stepping forward, he noticed Lara setting up on one side of the door. Shrugging, he moved to the opposite side and waited for whatever might be coming up ...

Show
    Swift action to slide into Punishing Stance, readying an action to attack ... might get two with an AOO in there.

Attack - (1d20+4)[15], Damage - (3d6+4)[17] 17 to hit, 20 damage
    If necessary AOO - (1d20+4)[13], Damage - (3d6+4)[10] 15 to hit, 13 damage

EDIT: Whoops - forgot the bonus for flanking ... add +2 att/+3 dam to each, I guess

Status
    HPs: 12 (-3); AC: 15
    F +5, R +2, W +1
    Stance: +1d6, -2AC
    Effects: Punishing Stance
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-07-28 at 04:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Locksley

Clearing his throat, the channeling of Dragonsong leave Locksley drained.

He draws his bow and reached for the door.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Below deck the beast runs and leaps towards Tienne, massive tentacles and bone rending claws still dripping with blood. Just as it descends there is a pop as Tienne blinks upwards on deck, landing in a crouched huddle but pleased there is no massive beast to eat him.

The Rhagodesa hisses and turns to face the stairs!

a well timed readied Blink there!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Lara

"Get ready, here it comes..."

Spoiler
    Show

As my readied attack didn't trigger, I don't think my inspiration points were used up. You don't decide to use them until just before the roll, and the roll isn't made until the attack is triggered.

Ready attack:
    Cunning Insight Attack (1d20+6)[13] 14
    Cunning Insight Damage (2d6+7)[13]
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2016-07-28 at 05:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyndall

Tyndall grabs his scimitar and shield firmly and takes position next to Grimgor and Lara. Don't let it grab you he thinks, looking around at the confined area of the deck and the blossom of red in the water where the scoundrel tried to escape. Could be easier said than done.

Spoiler: for Garl!
    Show
    Standard (readied) action: Scimitar vs rhagodessa (1d20)[16] +2 flank = 18, damage (1d6)[1] + 3 flank = 4 damage
    AoO (if relevant):Scimitar vs rhagodessa (1d20)[18] + 2 flank = 20, damage (1d6)[6] + 6 crit + 3 flank = 15 damage
    Including +2 attack and +3 damage for flanking with Tienne.

Tyndall Jarispur
    M CG Human Marshal 1, Level 1, Init 2, HP 11/11, Speed 20ft
    AC 18, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, Fort 5, Ref 2, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 0
    Longbow +1 (1d8, x3)
    Chainmail armour, Light wooden shield (+5 Armor, +1 Shield, +2 Dex)
    Last edited by Ghostfoot; 2016-07-28 at 06:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

'Tienne

Seeing three of the others gathered around the hold, weapons at the ready, 'Tienne moves over to help. With everyone working together, they should make quick work of the beast, as long as it doesn't decide to hide away in the hold.

He takes up a position opposite the "old man."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tyndall, of course. It takes 'Tienne a while to learn everyone's names.
    Move action to get to the hold.
    Ready action for an attack once it comes up, including the +2 to hit and +3 for damage from Tyndall, and +1 to both for essentia in my IUS:
    To hit - (1d20+3)[7] Damage - (1d6+4)[10]

Edit: Ha, ha. No.
    Last edited by Stegyre; 2016-07-28 at 09:38 AM.
    Custom Class

27. - Top - End - #117

Locksley

Drawing an arrow and taking aim, Locksley fires.

Spoiler: That natural 20 would be great right now
    Show
    (1d20+1)[11] to hit
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d20+1)[7] to hit crit
    (1d6)[6] x2
    (1d6)[6] x3
    Haven't done this in a while. The shooting and Croats I mean, not the missing.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-07-28 at 10:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Amara

The elf gathers her strength and knocks two more arrows!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready an action to Rapid Shot!

Attack 1: (1d20+1)[18]] // (1d8)[3]
    Attack 2: (1d20+1)[6]] // (1d8)[3]

DMing:

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grimgor

The dwarf blinked as the skinny one appeared and ran to stand across from the other fellow. He glanced around, snorting, "Like we're settin' up a damn welcome line ..."

Show
    Waiting ...

[roll0], [roll1] = 17 to hit, 20 damage
    If necessary [roll2], [roll3] = 15 to hit, 13 damage

With all those bonuses for flanking ...

Status
    HPs: 12 (-3); AC: 15
    F +5, R +2, W +1
    Stance: +1d6, -2AC
    Effects: Punishing Stance

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

The spider like creature hisses angrily before a flight of arrows fly down the stairs into the cellar. You note with alarm smoke and flames are beginning to curl up from where the hapless Garl was killed and his torch fell onto the tar splattered wooden floor near the dusty debris that are are scattered around the hold of the ship, the chatter of animals and squawking of birds still in the cages getting louder as the smoke begins to rise!

The spider beast retreats from the arrows, one finding a chink inits leg joint as it scuttles towards the starboard side near a pile of boxes hiding in the shadows out of sight of the trapdoor!

Spoiler: Spider
    Show

Hide (1d20+10)[19] (bonus due to shadows and smoke)