New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Complex of Doom (IC)

Ganis

"I would tend to agree. Unlike the ones we have seen previously we know we will come back down the tower (hopefully). We can gather up the rest and maybe blow them at the base of the tower. That might set back anyone's plan for the tower." Ganis suggests. Ganis was assuming the gems were in the tower for a reason and it wasn't a good one.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Khurdurm waits at the bottom of the stairs, chain at the ready, while the others are up searching.
    "Do it be goin' any higha?" the large dwarf call up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once people start moving to the third floor, he'll squeeze his way up to the second.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Dos climbs the ladder to the third floor of the tower. It is empty, save for another ladder and a thin leather-bound book of some sort pinned to a wall with a knife.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

"An odd sight to behold." Ganis announces.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast detect magic and gaze at the book/knife

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Neither is magical.
    Campaign Logs:

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak

Torlak climbs up as well, and examines the book and dagger more closely, trying to make sure no traps would be triggered if he touched it.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show

Search: (1d20+8)[19]

Can't identify traps over a certain DC, but it is hopefully not too high... *Le shrug*

The dagger is in stone, thus it could be a stonework trap?

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

No traps are detected, although grabbing the dagger by the blade could result in injury.
    Campaign Logs:

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Dos

Dos walks over cautiously to the impaled book. Sniffing around inquisitively like a cat he gingerly pulls the blade free and grabs the book. "That's how I feel about books too. Anyone know how to read?" He offers the book around while inspecting the blade and then focusing on the rest of the room.

Spoiler: a roll
    Show
    Spot (1d20+3)[7]

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

The knife appears to be a well-made (masterwork) boot dagger.

The pages are made from processed mushroom fibers - something Dos has seen before - and the writing is in Goblin. Most of the early pages have been ripped out. Only a few pages remain, the last missive of a doomed warrior:

Spoiler: Journal & Map
    Show

This is the last testament of Coll Vinsen. If I have done well, you have never heard of me. I am the blade from the shadows, the silent killer, the anonymous goblinclan face that my targets overlook, not knowing that they see their killer. Long have I labored in the shadows, taking the blood money of nobles and officials alike, ensuring stability, delivering retribution, and settling scores before they turn to feuds.

I will say nothing more of my work, and have burnt the earlier parts of my journal. Let the survival of our people be testimony to what I have done, and let that survival continue! Whitemarsh threatens our very sanity. With support at the highest levels, I spent weeks reviewing mission notes, plans, maps, and histories. My conclusion was that an expedition to this hell-hole, this place of the twisted and trapped, that started him on his path to whatever he has become.

I must be brief, for they are outside. There are many dangerous things living here, but the raptors are the worst. They can smell me, and so I cannot elude them forever. I will finish this, leave it here, and then lead them on a bloody chase.

There are several one-way entrances to this place, including one near the Sphinxes' home. Great hidden ramps, traps that take unsuspecting creatures and dump them into the glowing pools that are one of the ways this place changes things. Many different species of what we call dinosaurs are here, from the giant Tyrannosaurus Rex to the Raptors that are my bane, and even the scavenging Swindlespitters.

Things that end up in the glowing pools for long, or that partake in too many crystals, are changed. They grow tougher skins and become harder to foil or kill. Some of them develop magic or extra senses. Most end up with hideous tentacles that serve as extra weapons, although I've found that they do aid in climbing. Worse still, we who have changed much cannot starve. We simply stay hungry. Too many predators, not enough prey. Only the dinosaurs that can protect themselves survive.

There are also blue crystals here that grow in the walls near the Rex nest. I slipped past them, and sampled them after seeing the adults feeding them to their young. When consumed, they take whatever you are, and make you even more so - I became faster, stronger, and quicker - but in doing so, you lose part of yourself. I am now more lethal than ever before, I cannot pass through the damned archways guarding this place! I am stuck here with the animals and the monsters.
    (the remainder of this page is torn out)

(writing resumes on the next page in a calmer hand)
    I don't know how Whitemarsh got out, but there must have been a way. Near each of the glowing pools is a glowing stone, harder than steel and the size of my torso. The glowing liquid seems to trickle from it. When I came near to the stones, I felt weaker, but free of the traitor's subtle call. They may be the key to stopping him, but getting one out and traveling with it without being twisted will be a challenge.

There are many dangers here. I believe that this place is some sort of trap. There are too many unpredictable fey and chaotic outsiders for it to be a coincidence. There is no balance here.

(A rough map follows)

Most of the dinosaurs - the ones without extra eyes - see poorly in the dark. I shall gather my strength, and when night comes I shall leave this place. The raptors have chased me for too long, and have gathered in force; soon they will risk the guardians I slipped past, and leap up the ladders. I do not want the information I have bled and will die for to be lost, so I will evade them and lead them towards their own territory in the dark. I will kill enough of them that my death will be swift and violent enough to prevent my coming back as an abomination. Perhaps I can kill enough that you may destroy their nest, and wipe them out. A runeforge and who knows what riches may await, in addition to vengeance for me.

May your spirits and minds stay strong, your feet light, and your resolve steady. Our civilization depends on you. Get moving!
    Campaign Logs:

10. - Top - End - #880
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

"Had you ever heard of this guy before? a really grim tale." Ganis asks Dos.

Spoiler
    Show

Is this the top floor or is there another ladder?

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

Dos

"No, I've never heard of this guy Coll Vinsen. Either he was as good as he said he was, or he was a liar. Why do I get the feeling that if I look outside I'm going to see a horde of tentacled Raptors?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I think that there was another ladder up. Dos'll take a peek up it when we're ready.

Move Silently (1d20+11)[19]

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

There is another ladder leading up to the roof level.
    Campaign Logs:

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

"You all cannea move out o' the way so I can squeeze up?" Khurdrum call up.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

Ganis follows the group up the last ladder. "I wonder what the purpose of this building is." Ganis wonders barely above the sound of his own breath.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak grumbles, and goes back down to the first floor to watch the door. "I went up one ladder in full plate. You can't make me go up two ladders."

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Ascending the final ladder puts you on the roof of the tower. Lit by the false sun overhead, it is bright and, except for some lichen and mold, clean. It is walled by crenellations sized for a medium creature, so you can easily look out in all directions.

A rope dangles from one of the northern crenels, ending 20’ above the ground. It has absorbed some moisture, but is probably still usable.

With your clear view and altitude, it’s easy to see that the entire area’s topography slopes downwards towards the central sea. The water there is clear, but has a slight luminous greenish tint unlike any surface ocean. From your height, you can see motion under the water in several places, but since you’re a quarter-mile away, it’s hard to make out details. Still, it seems like there may be something big out there in the water.

An area of the beach several miles away (north and west) has been blackened, and borders a section of burnt vegetation, where there may have been some sort of fire. It’s too far away to see more details.

=> What will you do now?
    Campaign Logs:

17. - Top - End - #887
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

"someone give me a hand ?" Ganis asks.
    Ganis waits for the others to decide where to go next. He climbs down to the previous level and grabs an orb to bring up to the roof.

"I bet they go boom when they hit the ground." he says.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

The power crystals are large, squared-off blocks that are permanently fixed to their current location.
    Campaign Logs:

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

The now normal sized dwarf, waiting for Torlak to come down, gives him a pat on the back as he goes up.
    "Dinnae worry buttercup, we be gettin' ya a cane when we go back ta town." he says cheerily as he goes up the ladder.
    Once up, he looks around. As Ganis speaks he looks a bit surprised before he responds. "Innya think dat they may go boom when a we try to take'em off?"

20. - Top - End - #890
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

Mildly disappointed Ganis leaves the crystals for now.

"I'll stay behind in the tower to blow up the crystals, the rest of you should leave the tower incase the door locks when the crystals blow up or something bad happens. I have means of getting out."

Ganis waits for the rest of the team to vacate the tower or do something else.
    Last edited by Ragnarok'n'Roll; 2017-01-18 at 10:41 PM.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    The now normal sized dwarf, waiting for Torlak to come down, gives him a pat on the back as he goes up.
    "Dinnae worry buttercup, we be gettin' ya a cane when we go back ta town." he says cheerily as he goes up the ladder.
    Once up, he looks around. As Ganis speaks he looks a bit surprised before he responds. "Innya think dat they may go boom when a we try to take'em off?"
    "Ha! You do so, and I'll put you over my knee and paddle you with it, youngling."

22. - Top - End - #892
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    "Innya think dat they may go boom when a we try to take'em off?"[/COLOR]

"Going to leave them where they are and blow them up from across the room I guess - seems safest."

23. - Top - End - #893
    Ettin in the Playground

Dos

“I guess we gotta blow them somehow if these crystals are the things you think are causing so much chaos. I hope the whole tower doesn’t come down. Seems a shame to lose a nice defensible position like this, even if there wasn't any loot in it.”

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Dos will exit as instructed and wait some distance away with the others.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Khurdurm gives Dos a slap on the back as he replies "Ah, yes, let's be goin'. Ganis, when you say stay behind, make ser its no permanent, 'k?" With that he follows the goblinoid down.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

The remainder of the group heads down and out of the tower. Ganis takes a position across the room from some of the warm, glowing crystals, and launches a burst of fire at them. It has no effect.
    Campaign Logs:

26. - Top - End - #896
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

"Hrm" Ganis grumbles and leaves the tower. "You might need to break those orbs with your chain or something. Seem to be invulnerable to my magic" Ganis says to Khurdurm

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Khurdurm grumble a bit, with things like "...humans, always expecting dwarves to break and fix things.." under his breath but intentionally loud enough for everyone to hear.
    Then he grumbles a bit more.
    "Cannae you just... magick it?" he says with his windmilling about to punctuate what he's saying. "I mean, com'on, man. Impress us wit yer magick, eh?"

28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

"I spend all my magical power everyday making you normal sized. If only Dwarves weren't so short I could do other amazing things. You are holding me back." Ganis says with a smirk. "Make me taller! Make me like a real person" Ganis huffs.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Torlak

"Ha! Having performance problems? I know I can make you all invulnerable to my fire and still breath fire all day long."

30. - Top - End - #900
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ganis

Ganis waves his hands about in an extremely exaggerated manner, mimicking all the arcane hand signals and several swear words in sign language. When his spectacle of hand motions and weird silly faces finishes he points to Khurdurm like a circus presenter.

A loud drawn out fart-like noise erupts from behind Khurdurm.

"Bloody Dwarfs!" he admonishes.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast 'ghost sound' level 0 spell.

Emulate a farting noise with the volume of four normal men.