New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1435
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: LGBTAI+ #58 Infinity 2.0: The Darth Arminius Apology Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodean_ View Post
    Meanwhile, on twitter:

I have no words
    An appreciable number of those tweets will have been people explaining why it's a stupid idea. But granted, those probably won't have started until the hashtag was already trending. People are stupid all over.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a bit random but:

It's kind of getting on my nerves how many people dismiss bigots with "well you probably just live in your mother's basement."

You know what? There's lots of us who live with our parents! Not because we're lazy, but because we're poor, and sometimes we have health problems, and generally we don't necessarily have the money to move out. But we manage to not be entitled or bigoted!
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #993
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    This is a bit random but:

It's kind of getting on my nerves how many people dismiss bigots with "well you probably just live in your mother's basement."

You know what? There's lots of us who live with our parents! Not because we're lazy, but because we're poor, and sometimes we have health problems, and generally we don't necessarily have the money to move out. But we manage to not be entitled or bigoted!
    That's mostly an american thing, most of the european countries it's pretty normal even sometimes expected for you to live with your folks.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luz View Post
    I'm doing all the things this video tell me not to do.

I know that, I don't usually read comments but for some reason I decided to scroll down and see, I really regret doing it.

I need to start my master degree, mean while I'm giving classes on a small university that cares more about money than doing real science, I feel I'm not qualified to give classes, my students don't really care about my classes.

A former teacher of mine who really believed in me and gave me a lot of support was helping me start my master in a great university but now she had to go away and left me in the hands of another professor who is really arrogant and annoying.

She asked me to do a pre-project, I was supposed to do it last month but I haven't even started and we are in the middle of the year. I just can’t get on writing, I feel nothing I do is good enough. I’m stuck.

Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-06-30 at 08:19 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

So I completely forgot that one of my irl friends follows me on Tumblr and I'm very out on there. He messaged me about it, to confirm proper pronouns and stuff, and while I'm relived cause he's a good friend but also one I was... worried about how he would take it. But I'm also a little panicked cause I keep coming out to people accidentally.

My emotions are all over the place.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

6. - Top - End - #996
    Banned

Sometimes I forget how much people hate trans people for the crime of existing. Sometimes I read discussions of gender on the internet. Never at the same time, though.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Sometimes I forget how much people hate trans people for the crime of existing. Sometimes I read discussions of gender on the internet. Never at the same time, though.
    Just... Just let it go. You won't convince them.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Just... Just let it go. You won't convince them.
    True, but if one person, one person, reads that thread and sees what I've written and their trans lover comes out, and if that person who has read the thread decides that maybe, just maybe, they haven't been decieved, and if that one person doesn't flip out and hurt their lover, then I've done something worthwhile. It isn't about the other posters. It never was.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

True, but if one person, one person, reads that thread and sees what I've written and their trans lover comes out, and if that person who has read the thread decides that maybe, just maybe, they haven't been decieved, and if that one person doesn't flip out and hurt their lover, then I've done something worthwhile. It isn't about the other posters. It never was.
    Yeah, I figured. If you have the time and energy, go for it! I've lost all inclination for this kind of "debate," myself.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Banned

I've lost all inclination for this kind of "debate," myself.
    Me too, but someone needs to do it. Every time some bigot decides to take the chance to flex their arms (on their armchair, from which they're philosophising), someone needs to rise up and explain for those who are listening why they're wrong.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

Me too, but someone needs to do it. Every time some bigot decides to take the chance to flex their arms (on their armchair, from which they're philosophising), someone needs to rise up and explain for those who are listening why they're wrong.
    Well, I would disagree with the idea that you're morally obligated to. I am also not convinced that someone will read the thread and go, "Oh, this person is obviously right."

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Banned

Well, I would disagree with the idea that you're morally obligated to. I am also not convinced that someone will read the thread and go, "Oh, this person is obviously right."
    Well, maybe not morally obligated - in any instance I don't really believe in moral obligation exactly - but I feel as though I should.

I'd rather someone feel conflicted than that they settle on the hateful answer because there was no-one contesting it.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Well, maybe not morally obligated - in any instance I don't really believe in moral obligation exactly - but I feel as though I should.

I'd rather someone feel conflicted than that they settle on the hateful answer because there was no-one contesting it.
    Fair enough. Best of luck, then.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Banned

Fair enough. Best of luck, then.
    Thanks - I'll need it.

We all will.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks - I'll need it.

We all will.
    You know why I didn't cheer when in Germany the "Ehe for Alle" (Indiscriminate marriage) was announced? Because I fear that a large chunk of the L/G community now´ll switch over to the conservative side and forget the other discriminated minorities that fought side by side.

It saddens me to write it, but I think trans people will have a bleak time ahead. Pray that I´m erring here.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    You know why I didn't cheer when in Germany the "Ehe for Alle" (Indiscriminate marriage) was announced? Because I fear that a large chunk of the L/G community now´ll switch over to the conservative side and forget the other discriminated minorities that fought side by side.

It saddens me to write it, but I think trans people will have a bleak time ahead. Pray that I´m erring here.
    While that does happen, and it's real bad, the bigger issue is when all of the so called stop supporting because "you can marry now what else do you want?"
    Last edited by The Extinguisher; 2017-07-01 at 06:08 PM.
    I make music

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Welp, someone on these very forums just posted in favor of inflicting violence on trans people for the "crime" of not coming out when they think they should.

So I'm curled up under a blanket now, and so's my significant other, and I...could really use a reminder that there exist people out there who don't think this way.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2017-07-01 at 06:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Banned

This is... yeah. Oh, and don't forget that people will start telling LGB people that they're no longer discriminated against because hey, they can get married now!

I don't think you're wrong. Hey, the other thread has devolved into death threats now, you'll be glad to know!

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

*Grim laugh*

The actual pro side of living with a legacy of mass murder and genocide is first-hand knowledge where all that bigotry can lead to. You don´t know what "kill", "exterminate" or "murder" mean until you have seen it pulled thru with clinical precision.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Welp, someone on these very forums just posted in favor of inflicting violence on trans people for the "crime" of not coming out when they think they should.

So I'm curled up under a blanket now, and so's my significant other, and I...could really use a reminder that there exist people out there who don't think this way.
    May not work as a distraction, but I watched my husband play Watchdogs 2, which has a transgendered character as an important side character. I was actually wondering if that was a good portrayal of a transwoman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Banned

*Grim laugh*

The actual pro side of living with a legacy of mass murder and genocide is first-hand knowledge where all that bigotry can lead to. You don´t know what "kill", "exterminate" or "murder" mean until you have seen it pulled thru with clinical precision.
    Spoiler: TW: The Holocaust
    Show
    The part of it that gets me isn't that they killed so many people - obviously they did, and obviously it's tragic, but it would have been resigned to a sad historical event if it hadn't been for all the things they burned that weren't people - like the entire Institut für Sexualwissenschaft. But they did, and that had effects which still carry on to this day, such as the fact that most of the knowledge of what it meant to be trans and what we should do about it was lost, and had to be rebuilt. We're maybe 20, maybe more years behind where we should be.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ettin in the Playground

Let´s wait and see. Incidentally, I do believe that the Club of Rome is right and that will influence our societies in the next decade.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

God, that thread is just rotten with textbook transphobia and transmisogyny. I can't even look at it anymore. Those of you who are going into the fray, godspeed.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Banned

God, that thread is just rotten with textbook transphobia and transmisogyny. I can't even look at it anymore. Those of you who are going into the fray, godspeed.
    The worst part is where it's framed as though I can't handle people disagreeing with me. Lord knows I can handle people disagreeing with me: I'll maintain that they're wrong but I'll at least be mostly civil. I'm calling them bigots for holding bigoted opinions, not for holding opinions that I happen to disagree with.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

The worst part is where it's framed as though I can't handle people disagreeing with me. Lord knows I can handle people disagreeing with me: I'll maintain that they're wrong but I'll at least be mostly civil. I'm calling them bigots for holding bigoted opinions, not for holding opinions that I happen to disagree with.
    And then they turn around and claim that we're twisting their words. Its such a headache.

And now that the whole starwolf thing happened, theres going to be a lot more "this violent person is clearly wrong so i can't be transphobic anywhere here let me misgender you some more" going on
    I make music

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    And then they turn around and claim that we're twisting their words. Its such a headache.

And now that the whole starwolf thing happened, theres going to be a lot more "this violent person is clearly wrong so i can't be transphobic anywhere here let me misgender you some more" going on
    Good grief yes. "See, I disapprove of the same universally horrifying things you do! Where's my free pass?"

Although, um, Jormengand? I think maybe the worst part is the person saying that trans people deserve death for "being deceitful" and the other people low-key agreeing with them. Not saying the willful misunderstandings aren't valid headaches (I've got a few as well) but the murder thing bothers me somewhat more.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2017-07-01 at 08:07 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Good grief yes. "See, I disapprove of the same universally horrifying things you do! Where's my free pass?"

Although, um, Jormengand? I think maybe the worst part is the person saying that trans people deserve death for "being deceitful" and the other people low-key agreeing with them. Not saying the willful misunderstandings aren't valid headaches (I've got a few as well) but the murder thing bothers me somewhat more.
    At least the murder thing is obviously wrong and not going to convince people to believe him. It may be a worse position but not a more dangerous one.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

See, this is why I recommended not engaging them in the first place. Hell for your mental health.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

See, this is why I recommended not engaging them in the first place. Hell for your mental health.
    Hey now, I have to get onto people's block lists somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Hey now, I have to get onto people's block lists somehow.
    Ha! Yeah, I saw that. It's an unorthodox method - most of us get on block lists by arguing about D&D.