New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [BitPRē] Mortal World V

((Time marches on, for those event's who's time has already passed, see the Old Thread.))

[Kuzonoha Sanctuary]

It doesn't take long for those amassed outside to make their way into the Sanctuary, and soon arrangements are made for all who will stay the night.

The following morning was a busy day, as the remnants of what had once been a quincy army took time to recover physically and emotionally, meals were eaten, conversations were shared, and a general sense of healing was achieved, even if under less than optimal circumstances. It was not so for their 'leader'.

The first matter of business, for the young fullbringer, was reading over the accords. While much of the legal jargon involved in meaningless to him, he still read it over, focused particularly on what's expected of him, while also keeping an eye out for loopholes, poorly worded clauses, and any other methods of loosening his proverbial leash. He follows this with the study of basic supernatural topics, and seeking more in-depth knowledge in topics relevant to his current situation, though he lost interest when many of the tomes chose to focus of less immediately useful information.

Second was talking to everyone that might have something interesting to say. That is, Shinji, Chuck, and any members of his unit that seemed up for a short chat.

And finally, his interactions with Die Totenkreuz that night. While taking place within Sanctuary's wards, and strictly overseen by the Kuzunoha, led him to a discovery.

The first being something of a double-edged revelation, as he realized that the issues he experienced communing with the object were the result of his own Fullbringer condition, rather than action on the part of the object. A normal human would have transformed into a Quincy, and indeed, the faint marking of a western letter, a 'B' in this case, was a sign that the process began each time he attempted a reading, before his body struggled against it, fighting to remain as it was now. The Hollow Reiryoku that infuses his body would be poison to a Quincy, so the transformation is interrupted, and the effected portions of his body restored to their previous state. This is what he perceived as 'rejection', and serves are further proof that his wish is ungrantable.

But within the Kuzunoha sanctuary, that which would harm is suppressed, allowing him a shallow reading of it's past. He saw the Wiesweide villa in flames, as black clad swordsmen, slaughtered those within. There was no doubt in his mind that these While his view was limited, he saw more than enough, blades tearing flesh were the least of the injuries present, as many of the assailants invoke strange transformations in their blades. The tragedy culminated in the leader of the Shinigami, a man seemingly known as 'Shenryu', personally murders a boy around the helpless watcher's own age for the 'crime' of existing. The world went hazy shortly after.

Once the vision passed, he pried him arm away, face having gone pale at what he'd seen. His first glimpse of the Shinigami was to witness them turning their blades on mankind. That night's sleep was haunted by the same images.

And so, the Fullbringer awakens once more, prepared for a day that hopefully involves less witnessing small scale genocide.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [BitPRē] Mortal World V

[Russia]

"I don't know which is funnier. That you think you can find me, or that you think I actually need sleep. That was one of the very first things I cast away as I evolved."
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The stranger checks himself for bugs again, while at the same time five Bala from five directions rain on the estimated origin point of the sound.

"Sure, whatever you say, pal", the stranger snarks. "So what did you lose in return? Ability to control your hunger? Dimensional travel? Barriers? Or, perhaps... all of them?"
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

[Russia]

"Apparently, I lost my ability to suffer fools for prolonged periods of time."

The point of origin in question is a diminutive shadow construct that looks as if it came out of nowhere. Following these little things from their origin points should have yielded Sagarosso's location by now. It hasn't, because they kept showing up out of different places. This could mean a number of things - that their creator was constantly on the move, or that he'd planted their number ahead of time in different locations somehow. Yet the first case didn't bring up a credible pattern, and he didn't have enough time for the second in between the last time he was attacked and now. He might just be telling the truth.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Chuck had helped guide folks into the Sanctuary, then had taken a few moments aside with Shinji, in private, to discuss a few matters.

Spoiler: For Kuroimaken Only
    Show
    Spoiler: Seriously Only Kuroi
    Show
    Spoiler: I can nest these things too guys
    Show
    Chuck will first of all emphasize that while Torahiko having access to the cross artifact, he should not be allowed to take it. Neither should any member of the ZHE, any Hollows, any Shinigami, any Quincy, or any Reiniger. If not for the risk of it getting dug up one day, Chuck would suggest it be thrown in a volcano, but as it is he asks that after a year or two of study, it be locked and warded away, preferably so that pretty much no one can ever see it, let alone access it.

He will also recommend repatriating the prisoners in small numbers, and doing so in such a way as to emphasize that future hostile action will not be looked upon kindly. As well as strongly suggesting that their families consider getting on board with the Accords, either directly or via local governments.

Chuck was available to give Torahiko his perspective on things like Quincy history and the like, including a few books or e-books he had access to, as well as his understanding and viewpoints on the Unseelie Accords, as well as a few "layman's term" bits from the lawyers in the Anderson family.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

[Russia; floating landmass]

There's an easy way to find out.

Pesquisa operates similarly to a sonar or radar. The user sends out a pulse of energy, in this case their Reiatsu, and then analyses the return signal when the pulse is reflected from objects. Things which absorb or are transparent to the pulse cannot be found this way.

However, if you have another receiver away from the origin of the pulse, it's also possible to analyze how much of the pulse gets lost in the way. Materials of different transparency weaken the pulse, while absorbent materials cast a noticeable "shadow".

Thanks to the destruction wrought by the barrage of Balas, the air is full of Reishi dust. This slows down Pesquisa pulses, as does the ground, allowing the ring of Hollows around the area to estimate the density of Reishi within it. As noted, Sagarosso is a spirit. He still interacts with Reishi. Even if he can hide all of his appearance, scent, sound and Reiatsu, if he is physically present at all within this area, 1 kilometer in diameter around the tetrahedron, he displaces some of the dust or the ground. And Earth's atmosphere is sparse on Reishi, so what Sagarosso displaces isn't automatically replaced. So through density analysis, the Hollows can tell where Sagarosso is and has been, by looking for spots where Reishi is less dense or where there is none where there should be.

In short, the Hollows have changed modes from looking for the presence of a thing, to look for conspicuous absence of a thing.

It has its limits, though. The stranger looks up in the sky. The Reishi dust only rises so high, and past a point Earth's natural atmosphere of Reishi gets too thin for the method to be reliable. If Sagarosso is higher than a hundred meters or so, he cannot be found. On the other hand, his power is shadow-based. Based on position of the sun, the stranger quickly calculates how high Sagarosso would have to be to cast a shadow on the entire battlefield. That would explain his ability to create shadow constructs on it apparently arbitrarily.

Wait, how does a spirit cast a shadow, you ask? Well, all things have their own spirit. The Sun does, too. Though not perceptible to humans, part of its light is spiritual in nature, thankfully enough for Soul Society as it would be depressingly dark and cold at the moment if this was not the case.

But enough of that. The stranger quickly concludes Sagarosso could be anywhere from 100 meters to 1 kilometer high if he's running towards the sun. More accurate estimate would require the stranger to know the maximum range over which he can exert control over his shadow.

In any case, if no trace of Sagarosso is found on the ground, the sky is next.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2016-07-07 at 01:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

[Russia]

Well, at LAST some kind of result comes from it, though not the one they were expecting, probably.

They don't find Sagarosso. But they DO find hundreds if not THOUSANDS of very tiny motile "particles" swimming about the reishi like a school of tiny fish in an aquarium. Specifically, the part of the ground that got split and battered by the momentous battle between VG and Mikael. At least now they know where the damn things are coming from, but... that doesn't make it any easier to find the vampire.

They don't know how far they can relay information and there's an absolute crapload of them skittering about. Damn bloodsucker could be ANYWHERE by now, especially if he could travel under the earth somehow.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

26 of the Hollows tighten their search net so the ring is only 500 meter in diameter, walking up as well as forward. When they reach the height of 100 meters above the ground, they cut pathways into the Void. Once there, they extend their arms towards the tetrahedron. "Negacion."

The area within the circle gets quite a bit darker as the sky above it is replaced by black emptiness. Transparent yellow walls reach down, cutting deep into the rock. If Alpha-1 and the man with a fancy hat are still around, they'll be left inside them as well.

It's a huge chunk of land to lift, and there aren't enough of the Hollows to make a box out of it and cut it entirely free of Earth's dimensional fabric. But if Sagarosso is within it, it'll be interesting to see how he will react. If he's not, it'll be interesting to see what will happen to the "fish" when their connection to Sagarosso's Reiatsu is cut.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

They never had any real connection to Sagarosso's Reiatsu. If they did, then the Arrancar would have been able to trace it to him, after all. They're not being continuously powered - rather, he imbued them with a small portion of temporary energy and sentience. Like a charge in a battery. They continue, therefore, acting as they already did - though now that they can't be heard, they don't mock their collective enemy any more. Why waste the energy?

They do seem to be slightly connected to each other, however. That might be why they've sounded so convincing in imitating their master - each individual construct is acting like a cluster of brain cells, and their intercommunication is allowing them to emulate more complex thought patterns.

Patterns like irony.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

There's no real irony in this situation. The bandaged stranger gets up and floats up into the Void. Then he extends a palm down. "Hado #33: Sokatsui!" Blue fire crashes down and sets the dust on fire. Good thing about the "fish" being tiny, tiny things tend to burn really well.

It will take a while to burn everything inside the barrier. But still, if Alpha-1 and the man in hat are inside the barrier, they ought to take shelter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

[Russia]

I don't know about Alpha-1, but Hat-man is kinda gone already.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

[The Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

Spoiler: For KD ONLY
    Show
    Spoiler: Why?
    Show
    Spoiler: Because reasons
    Show

While Shinji held a similar opinion, his hands were metaphorically tied. (He would point out to Chuck that throwing something spiritually powerful into a volcano was a sure-fire way to spread its powers across leylines. It's meant as a joke even if it's not received as such.) He couldn't unilaterally make such a decision due to the Accords, and he had accepted to take in the artifact at the Sanctuary on the condition it be available for study. All told, perhaps not the worst choice...

He does confide to Chuck that there is a possibility, however minimal, that the artifact itself is responsible for the belligerence of the ZHE. He noted it was only a theory, but the vehement response against the Shinigami could have been the result of an adverse reaction that increased their aggressiveness. After all, these people were no monks nor ascetics. Fanaticism on this scale could well be the result of toxicity. But he'd need the permission of the Quincies and time to test this theory, and it was unlikely he might be able to obtain either in the foreseeable future.

In addition to the abrupt and unfortunate departure of the Commander-General of Gotei, there is one more addition to the events of that day.

Namely, a statuesque, voluptuous blonde like something straight out of a 40's cartoon has taken to wandering the Kuzunoha halls.

Her name is Mariah, and she's Chuck's aunt.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Ikari, Japan]
    [Somewhere In The Kuzonoha Sanctuary]

Spoiler: Kuroi Only
    Show
    Spoiler: TEH SEKRITS
    Show
    Spoiler: NO SPOILING ALLOWED
    Show
    Chuck acknowledges that the volcano plan is a bad one. As for the disposition of the artifact, he states that his own "case of the heebie-jeebies" about it has colored whether it should ever be touched.
    He acknowledges the possibilities in the "hostility because of the artifact", relating the sensations he briefly experienced while touching it before it was covered in heavily warded cloth.
    He again warns about the possible "interest" of the Arrancar that may be connected to Mikael, and his belief that allowing them access could be apocalyptic, and that preventing that particular group from ever coming near the Cross again trumped any and all other "diplomatic" concerns.

Chuck had known Mariah was arriving soon. That's why he's doing his level best to casually not ever be in the same actual physical space as her. Besides, his Uncle Margrave was around, he could take care of greeting Mariah, showing her around, being the focus of her attentions, and so on.

It was a fool-proof plan, a flawless one, even.

No one would suspect he was tucked in the back corner of one of the small libraries. Reading a book on European history. With none of his normal "tactical gear" on, and his energies suppressed as far down as they'd go. Yep. Flawless. She'd never find him here.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

Poor Chuck.

He never should have kept his eyes glued to a book. That made him vulnerable to the dreaded BACKHUG OF DOOM.

"D'AAAAWWW!! Lookit you, Chuckie! You're bigger than when I last saw you!"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Ikari, Japan]

One day, Chuck will tie a bell to his aunt. It probably won't help but it's something he imagines will make it easier to avoid her.

His real concern was that he'd been leaning his chair back just a tad when the BACKHUG OF DOOM happened. Now, normally, this would have basically zero risk of any problems, thanks to his balance, powers, etc. But being practically tackled by his aunt from the rear, and then being pulled into the hug, meant that the chair slipped out from under him, and he fell back into said BACKHUG. The chair clattered to one side, the book flopped onto the floor, and Chuck flailed his arms uselessly even as his face shot from "normal" to "red as can be" in basically no time.

<Ack! Aunt Mariah! What are you-! Gah no! Why do you always do this? Can you hug normally?>

It could be worse, Chuck supposed. One or more of his friends could be around to witness his shame.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

<That'd be easier if you didn't keep trying to dodge them all the time!> Mariah replied. Goodness gracious, the woman had an iron grip. Thankfully, it was an iron grip against a pillowy surface. Not-so-thankfully, it belonged to a blood relative. <So I gotta sneak up on you if I want to give you a hug. That's not fair now, is it?>

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

[Russia; floating landmass]

The stranger continues untill the surface of the area inside the barrier has been reduced to slag and there's no trace left of the invisible particles. Then he observes the area for long enough to confirm this "cloud AI" does not regenerate itself.

The Hollows keeping up the barrier turn their Pesquisa outward. They still have friends further away, so they can scan up to two kilometers further in each compass direction to see where Sagarosso's trail of "bugs" ends.

---

[Below the floating landmass]

As noted, exotic as it was, Mikael's body was still of Earthly matter. So when its will faded, it ceased to interact with Reishi it was buried in and fell through, all the way to the ground.

Some of the split Hollows were looking for his remains while Sagarosso began his belliggerence. They never joined the fight, instead picking up his pieces and leaving. The last one lifts his severed arm up from a pit it created when it hit the ground, and begins hiking towards China.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Ikari, Japan]

The Fullbringer known as Tachibana Torahiko, having realized that blank books were present with the intended purpose of record-keeping, finishes up his most recent set of research notes, which are bracketed between sketch of a young Quincy whose portrait may have once hung in the Wiesweide villa long ago, and rough diagrams of common information.

He's noted that his keychain, the focus for his ability, is not entirely necessary to 'read' an object, rather, it only clarifies. It seems that particular ability branches off something more common for practitioners of the 'Full Manifestation Art' as what little text he could find called it, something to do with 'Pulling' on objects or souls, something he's had some measure of success with. Said text also claimed they could turn mundane objects into weapons that, when fully evolved, were on the level of a Shinigami's release, something he's had no success with, for reasons clear to anyone with even a basic understanding of Sanctuary's properties.

He adds a to-do list beneath the notes, striking several through immediately after writing them.
    Spoiler: For if/when anyone peeks at said to-do list
    Show

Apologize to Okasan, alone, remember to brace for impact.

Replace all the stuff I lost during retreat.
    >Phone, school supplies, shonen greatest hits

Apologize to Hasunaga-Sensei, bring reinforcements if possible.

Return to school.

Find better source of Fullbringer information
    > Find training space that doesn't sicken me at the idea of creating a weapon.
    >Book mentioned a possibility that fullbring users eventually become hollows, if true, becoming an Arrancar may be desirable -NOT LETTING MYSELF THINK THAT, EVER AGAIN-
    That should be enough for now.

"Time to find Shinji-san..."

Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

[Ikari, Japan]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    [Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

<That'd be easier if you didn't keep trying to dodge them all the time!> Mariah replied. Goodness gracious, the woman had an iron grip. Thankfully, it was an iron grip against a pillowy surface. Not-so-thankfully, it belonged to a blood relative. <So I gotta sneak up on you if I want to give you a hug. That's not fair now, is it?>
    Chuck somehow sinks further in. Part of him was amazed he wasn't a mess of psychoses and other more obscure issues. As it was, his blush was for many reasons, and his mortification was spared only by his isolation.

<Maybe if you didn't keep trying to practically smother me, Aunt Mariah! I mean, I'm not five any more!>

He struggled more, but it was weaker this time.

<Don't you need to, like, go harass Uncle Margrave or something? He contributed to my delinquency or something, right?>

He'd given up fighting, surrendering the battle to embarrassment.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

[Russia; Floating Landmass]

It's nightfall by the time the bandaged stranger has eradicated last of Sagarosso's bugs. He sits on air cross-legged for a moment, observing the scorched land beneath with mild curiosity. Then, the barrier around him and the two Hollows inside the tetrahedron goes black, and when the other Hollows let it fall, there's no trace of them. The remaining twenty-five Hollows vanish into the coming night, hunting for Sagarosso. The "vampire" has a good headstart already, that much they're sure of, but he can't hide forever. Sooner or later, the "vampire" has to feed, and the Hollows have a good idea where the closest settlements are. It may take days, weeks, even months, but they'll find his trail, and they'll make life difficult for him again.

---

[Elsewhere in Russia; much later]

Somewhere in the woods, far from any major road, Artyom Pedrov's motorbike leans against a lone fir tree. Now, the owner gets back to, hidden by veil of Bakudo 26: Kyokkou and carrying a canister filled with gasoline. The bandaged stranger refuels his ride, throws away the canister and kicks up his bike. Then, he notices something. "Oh, hey. Didn't remember this thing had a radio." He puts it on and listens thoughtfully to the music.

After humming to the familiar tune for a few seconds, then shakes his head. "Nah. Too cheerful." He searches for another channel untill he finds another song he knows. "Now this is more like it!"

Engine roaring, he gets back on the road and heads towards China, one hand steering his bike, another carrying Shen Yi's hammer...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cardrian View Post
    [Ikari, Japan]

The Fullbringer known as Tachibana Torahiko, having realized that blank books were present with the intended purpose of record-keeping, finishes up his most recent set of research notes, which are bracketed between sketch of a young Quincy whose portrait may have once hung in the Wiesweide villa long ago, and rough diagrams of common information.

He's noted that his keychain, the focus for his ability, is not entirely necessary to 'read' an object, rather, it only clarifies. It seems that particular ability branches off something more common for practitioners of the 'Full Manifestation Art' as what little text he could find called it, something to do with 'Pulling' on objects or souls, something he's had some measure of success with. Said text also claimed they could turn mundane objects into weapons that, when fully evolved, were on the level of a Shinigami's release, something he's had no success with, for reasons clear to anyone with even a basic understanding of Sanctuary's properties.

He adds a to-do list beneath the notes, striking several through immediately after writing them.
    Spoiler: For if/when anyone peeks at said to-do list
    Show

Apologize to Okasan, alone, remember to brace for impact.

Replace all the stuff I lost during retreat.
    >Phone, school supplies, shonen greatest hits

Apologize to Hasunaga-Sensei, bring reinforcements if possible.

Return to school.

Find better source of Fullbringer information
    > Find training space that doesn't sicken me at the idea of creating a weapon.
    >Book mentioned a possibility that fullbring users eventually become hollows, if true, becoming an Arrancar may be desirable -NOT LETTING MYSELF THINK THAT, EVER AGAIN-
    That should be enough for now.

"Time to find Shinji-san..."
    ((Sorry it took me so long to answer this!!))

As it turns out, Shinji can be found with relative ease. He's at the library, actually... the bags under his eyes show he musn't have slept very well.

"Oh, morning, Torahiko-kun. What can I do for you?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

[Kunlun mountains]

After finally having been left to their own devices, the Hollows shielding Shen Yi's ruined castle let their barrier drop and got back to work. While somewhere in Ikari, Torahiko and his brothers-in-arms were settling down, they resumed clearing the rubble, washing off the bloodstains, burying any remaining bodies, fixing the walls and unpacking everything they brought in from Silbern. They even juryrigged their truck's engine to produce electricity for some of the stolen equipment.

The black, faceless Arrancar walks around the courtyard, on top of the walls and through the hallways, watching for anything out of place. It has completed this circuit a hundreds of times by now as it's waited for the castle's master to return.

But now, one of the Hollows in Quincy uniform approaches it. "I think you should come to see this."

The black Arrancar's head perks up. What is it?

The uniformed Hollow beckons towards the basement. "A computer. From the Quincies. We managed to get it running and took a look at the files."

The black Arrancar turns around and together they walk to this new destination. Oh? I didn't know you had skills in hacking.

The uniformed Hollow laughs. "Hacking? Hahaha, no. Someone'd just written the password on a slip of paper and left it on his desk."

... doesn't sound very secure, the black Arrancar says, sounding disappointed.

The Hollow shrugs. "I don't think these Quincies gave a damn about secure. It feels attacking Las Noches was an all-or-nothing bet for them. If they'd won, they'd won, if you catch my drift? And if they lost... well, what's the point of trying to keep secrets when everyone on your side is dead?"

Spite, the black Arrancar says without hesitation.

The Hollow thinks. "Point. I guess these Quincies weren't very spiteful then."

More walking. Descending into the dark basement. Maybe they deemed such to be unsportsman-like behaviour.

They finally arrive at the computer. A female Hollow, also in uniform, is observing the monitor, it being the only source of light in this place. The black Arrancar peers over her shoulder.

... what on Earth is this?

The female Hollow turns her chair around. "Schematics. For making Arrancars into Quincies."

For a long while, the hum of the computer's cooling fan is the only sound in the room.

"... looks over-complicated to me. Why bother using normal Arrancars? It's an uphill battle to erase or overwrite their individual will. Why didn't they just use a Sin Rostro?"

The female Hollow glances at the screen, then slowly claps. "Congratulations, genius. You've perfected the recipe of Quincy supersoldier, now that no-one gives a damn anymore."

The black Arrancar straightens. Are you sure about that?

The female Hollow turns to look at the black Arrancar, her eyes narrowing behind her mask. "... what are you thinking of?"

The black Arrancar points at the screen. This technology... maybe it could be used to create more of us.

The male Hollow who lead the Arrancar here looks thoughtful. "Yeah, but where are we going to find enough mindless Gillians? We already checked the sands and the forest. They're empty."

The Arrancar turns toward him. Not find. Make.

The female Hollow frowns. "You'd need to kill hundreds just to make one. Hundreds of thousands to build an army. How are you going to do that?"

I won't, the black Arrancar says victoriously. Someone else will. Do you think we can leak all this to Yurius without him figuring it was us?
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2016-07-19 at 07:35 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Sorry it took me so long to answer this!!))

As it turns out, Shinji can be found with relative ease. He's at the library, actually... the bags under his eyes show he musn't have slept very well.

"Oh, morning, Torahiko-kun. What can I do for you?"
    ((It's fine, I'm guilty of doing the same thing))

"Ah, there you are, Shinji-san, are you okay? You're looking a bit tired." Not that many have been sleeping well as of late, given the refugee crisis currently ongoing at Sanctuary.

"I have a few more questions, if that's okay." The Fullbringer pauses for a moment, tensing up and flexing the fingers on his right hand. It's been bothering him since the night of the failed assault. "...if that's okay? The first is, 'What are you?', and the second is 'What do you think I am?'."
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2016-07-20 at 05:42 PM.

Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

"Pulled an all-nighter, didn't sleep much after that, but thanks for asking."

He does perk a brow as Torahiko repeats himself. Odd. "Wow, you get right to the loaded questions, don'tcha? You must be terrible in the dating scene." It's as good an attempt at a joke as Shinji can make it.

"First one is easiest, but by no means simplest. I'm the son of a sorcerer who lived a thousand years ago, give or take, and a descendant of the Kuzunoha, whom are themselves descended from that same sorcerer. He is a human-Ayakashi hybrid, and by extension, so am I - but the rest of my clan are regular humans descended from that lineage. Their power comes from that.

As for what you are, based on your interaction with the cross yesterday, I have reason to believe you are a Fullbringer. You interact with the souls of objects, bringing out their potential. Admittedly, it's not a powerset I'm too familiar with.

Why were you working with the Quincy fanatics?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Wouldn't know, never dated anyone. Might never." There's almost something disturbing about a teenager who doesn't care for the idea of romance.

"So it's because you're not entirely human." A blunt way of putting it, even with a tone of approval. "About fullbringers, you had all of one book that knew anything about them, at least as far as I could find, they called it the 'Full Manifestation Art', and it does seem to describe me. The faceless Arrancar who tagged along with me also thought I was one, it's why he wanted me. And now I have a way find out, but I'd have to get away from this place, its properties are getting in the way." Sactuary is simply not the place to train in defending oneself, at least not actively.

"Fanatics, huh?" Not his preferred term, even if they looked like that from outside. "I owed them that much, needed to pay them back."

"My first encounter with a Hollow nearly got me eaten, first Quincy I saw saved me. first Arrancar was, sorry, is, someone I plan on meeting again..." Another hand flex, not as noticeable. "The first time I ever saw a Shinigami? They were taking up their sword against the living, doing quite a good job at it, too." That actually happened after he developed a dislike for them, but as first impressions go, watching one kill a fifteen-year-old Quincy from close up lends itself to a less than respectful viewpoint.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2016-07-20 at 11:41 PM.

Show
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

"What exactly is because I'm not entirely human?" Shinji ponders, not knowing what Torahiko is referring to.

"We haven't had much interaction with Fullbringers. As far as contact with us is concerned they're relatively few and far between, so... The Ayakashi ecosystem is considerably bigger than it might appear at first glance. Working upon it requires a lot of study. I'm afraid that leaves other areas of the spiritual concerns lacking. But in any case, we do have training rooms you could use. You only needed to ask."

That last comment has the grandmaster concerned, however.

"Torahiko... I understand first impressions are important, but you really need to be exposed to some different perspectives.

Care to come with me? I want to show you something."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

((OOC: this takes place before bandaged stranger meeting Nuala in Hueco Mundo. Just thought I'd do something to keep the thread alive.))

[Kunlun Mountains]

Late at night a solitary form ascends the slope, dragging with them a Harley Davidson motorbike. No normal person would be strong enough, nor insane enough, to try such a feat. Must not be a normal person, then.

But he won't stay solitary for long, for the top of the mountain is inhabited. Or rather, haunted.

Took you long enough. Couldn't you just have left that bike down there?, a black silhouette sitting on a cliff calls out to the climber.

"Hell no! Someone could've stolen it!", the person arriving shouts back.

Like you would've cared, the silhouette replies and jumps down from the rock. Come. Others got back already.

"Hey, man's gotta look after his ride!", the climber protests, but when no reply is heard, he follows the silhouette without a further word.

On the summit there's a castle, partly of wordly, partly of ghostly materials. The biker parks his bike on the courtyard before getting in. At the back of the main building, on a newly-made stone dais, lie burnt-black remains of a humanoid form. A hole has been blasted through its right shoulder and its severed right arm has been placed next to it.

The biker crouches next to the body, lifting up the arm and examining it. He's no healer, but he's pretty sure it'd take a miracle to return this thing to life.

Except...

... was it really alive in the first place?

In the light of ghostly lanterns, the biker takes a closer look. The bones are made of metal. Some really strange metals, but metals nonetheless. The flesh, some odd composite material.

This body may look human in part, but it's less a corpse and more a... statue. Or a robot.

Less dead and more... broken.

The biker thinks. He's no healer, but he is a damn good craftsman, at least in his own opinion.

Maybe he could fix this?
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2016-08-02 at 07:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

[24 hours ago]
    Russia

Following Alpha-1's spatial transference is relatively simple; the only camouflage used by the system is the fact that it functions like no other spiritual process for long-distance travel, making it substantially more difficult to detect or read under normal circumstances. It doesn't work like a garganta or senkaimon, as it is primarily designed to facilitate travel on the same plane of existence. Alpha-1's innate hollow abilities allow for interdimensional travel, after all. The AI's teleportation essentially "folds" the time space continuum momentarily like a fabric, enabling Alpha-1 to overlap its own location with the target and then remain on the other side when the spatial anomaly resets.

Assuming, of course, that it functions properly.

In this case, at the moment of transfer Alpha-1 suddenly spasms, and the fold rapidly warps in response. instantaneously, the destination point of the transfer shifts from Ikari, Japan, to somewhere...rather different.

Uina Mountain Range, Utah

Spatial interference being emitted by Alpha-1's body following the botched shift will force the stranger to emerge a few hundred feet away from the duo. By the time they come into sight, Alpha-1 is lying flat on the ground, unconscious, next to a seated, nauseous-looking Naito.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What exactly is because I'm not entirely human?" Shinji ponders, not knowing what Torahiko is referring to.

"We haven't had much interaction with Fullbringers. As far as contact with us is concerned they're relatively few and far between, so... The Ayakashi ecosystem is considerably bigger than it might appear at first glance. Working upon it requires a lot of study. I'm afraid that leaves other areas of the spiritual concerns lacking. But in any case, we do have training rooms you could use. You only needed to ask."

That last comment has the grandmaster concerned, however.

"Torahiko... I understand first impressions are important, but you really need to be exposed to some different perspectives.

Care to come with me? I want to show you something."
    "Your ability, it comes from a part of you that isn't human. I approve of that, means I'm not alone." The student's smile seems a bit forced. "Though I'm a three way split, now."

"Didn't think to ask." He gives an uneven shrug, one shoulder slightly more responsive than the other. "Might as well see what I'll be enforcing the accords with from now on."

The faked happy expression he's been wearing becomes a more natural looking disappointment. "I have more reasons that just that, show me anything."
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2016-08-02 at 04:38 PM.

Show
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

[Uina Mountain Range]

"Well now, this isn't looking very good." The stranger ponders aloud as he walks over to the duo.

"Hey kid. You don't look like you have any organs out of place, but are you okay?"

[Kuzunoha Sanctuary]

"You really shouldn't put much stock into what parts of you are not human, you know... They don't tell much about who and what you are." Shinji points out to Torahiko. "There's this girl, her name is Kikuri. Kindest you'll ever meet, makes an absolutely divine chocolate cake. She comes to visit every year.

She's also the dragon goddess that mediated the debate of the deities that created Japan."

Wait, what.

"Live long enough in my neck of the woods and you get used to not giving a flying rat's ass about what someone is, and instead who they are... See what I'm trying to say?"

Shinji guides Torahiko to a chamber within the Sanctuary. It's quite spacious... looks like some sort of training room?

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show