New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1043 - The Discussion Thread

homophone: each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling

Effectively Belkar assumed that a steak through the heart was what was needed to kill Durkon (hence the title 'He Assumed It Was a Cholesterol Thing'), the cook presumably pointed out that he was wrong and that 'no steak is merely a homophone of stake', Belkar not knowing what homophone meant responded with 'no, you're a homophone'.

There I think I have sufficiently killed that joke via explanation now.
    Thank you, the joke totally went over my head...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

still don't get the homophone joke....

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyTheNeko View Post
    still don't get the homophone joke....

Here's what I think happened "off panel"

Belkar says to the Cook: "I need stakes!"

Cook: "Here you go"

Belkar: "Not Steaks, you moron. Stakes!"

Cook: "You said stake. I'm a cook. So I thought Steak. It's a homophone"

Which leads Belkar to fire off the "no, YOU'RE a homophone" line.
    Last edited by semi; 2016-07-06 at 02:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by semi View Post

Doesn't fit the title or the situation where Belkar was apparently grilling steaks when the cook told him it's a homophone.
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-07-06 at 02:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by semi View Post

ah, thanks.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Doesn't fit the title or the situation where Belkar was apparently grilling steaks when the cook told him it's a homophone.
    It does fit the title and the situation; he assumed that they were weak to stakes because they did not like cholesterol, and thus he made juicy steak that they could not resist eating. That in combination with what we have already stated several times previously explains absolutely everything.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, I'm eating a stake right now!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The fate of the steaks Belkar got partway into cooking is unknown; I would guess that if Belkar didn't finish them the cook probably did, since it wouldn't make much sense to let them go to waste.
    Okay, I laughed at this. On this forum, there could definitely be a serious argument about the fate of the three one-panel steaks. We must understand every detail!
    "Ah! your talk, your damned philosophy!"
    "Talk? It's not talk. It's not reason. It's hand's touch. I touch the wholeness, I hold it. Which is moonlight, which is Takver? How shall I fear death? When I hold it, when I hold in my hands the light--"
    -Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Satisfying seeing Belkar's normal attitude getting turned on him. And a reminder that while adventurers are nominally and narratively the stars of the story, and are THE major source of income for the towns they pass through... Having him called a "nobody little twerp" is so satisfying, much more than having him called a psycho considering he takes a point of PRIDE in that. But a "nobody little twerp?" That is someone actually managing to sting him.

And the engineer's quips may be SHORT on originality, but it's nice to see someone tell Belkar what for.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, this one didn't do it for me. The punch line makes no sense when you think about it too hard (particularly, why is Belkar even wearing the chef hat if he thought they were talking about stakes rather than steaks?)

I don't like Andi much, and Belkar's abrupt transition from "I don't care about you" to "OK, I'll find a way to compromise with you" wasn't believable.

I do like Giant's policy that "Just because it doesn't cause hit point damage doesn't mean it doesn't hurt." I.e. the fact that Protection from Evil and Holy Water hurt evil characters, just for flavor's sake, even though they don't damage Evil humanoids.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    The punch line makes no sense when you think about it too hard (particularly, why is Belkar even wearing the chef hat if he thought they were talking about stakes rather than steaks?)
    Again:
    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    homophone: each of two or more words having the same pronunciation but different meanings, origins, or spelling

Effectively Belkar assumed that a steak through the heart was what was needed to kill Durkon (hence the title 'He Assumed It Was a Cholesterol Thing'), the cook presumedly pointed out that he was wrong and that 'no steak is merely a homophone of stake', Belkar not knowing what homophone meant responded with 'no, you're a homophone'.

There I think I have sufficently killed that joke via explanation now.
    Belkar thought steaks were useful against vampires, it was pointed out to him he was wrong and he didn't understand the word used.

I don't like Andi much, and Belkar's abrupt transition from "I don't care about you" to "OK, I'll find a way to compromise with you" wasn't believable.
    I like her - one of my favourite minor NPCs but regardless of that Belkar still doesn't care about her and he didn't compromise, he got offered what he wanted and he accepted it, that is not compromise.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar didn't compromise, though. Andi offered to give him exactly what he wanted, and he agreed to take it from her.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Or, if you want to be accurate about it, from "I don't care about your life story" to "You have a way to get me what I want? OK."

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    ...what are you, an anthropomorphic termite?

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Takver View Post
    Okay, I laughed at this. On this forum, there could definitely be a serious argument about the fate of the three one-panel steaks. We must understand every detail!
    I know, right? We're only on page 2, and already this thread has everything. Painst(e)aking explanations of basic puns! Suggested crack ships! "OMG holy water hurts Belkar? Maybe he's an OUTSIDER!" I'm in heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    It's too early in the morning; I thought those were ham, for no appropriate reason I can come up with.
    In cartoon language, ham usually takes the form of hamhocks with the bone still in, the kind that look like this:

Don't ask me why.

(No, really. Especially don't ask me why. I spent years not realizing that those asymmetrical and weirdly uneven yellow rectangle blobbies that often serve to represent folders in GUIs were actually supposed to look like...manilla folders. Oh! That's why they're all uneven like that! 'Twas a eureka moment, to be sure.)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    Be careful of the bones (splinters).

Great comic, Giant.
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

17. - Top - End - #107

BlackDragon

Clearly Andi would like to lead a mutiny and throw Bandana and her new friends off the ship.
    The Order aren't Bandanna's new friends, they're Julio's friends, and thus Andi has absolutely no reason to throw them off the ship--not if she expects Julio to return at some point, at any rate, which the current strip suggests that she does.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Allergies.
    Yup.
    Actually to make Holy Water you need a hefty amount of powdered silver (as "material component"). The metal is rarely allergic for human skin but who knows about halflings?

(Wild theories about Belkar being a lycanthrope incoming) :)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I agree with belkar as well. Also, I need a shower. But I cant see a mutiny plot doing anything particularly beneficial for the comic. Among other reasons, the conflict between Andi and Bandana is so trivially unimportant, especially since its apparently just Andi being jealous of Bandana, compared to the stakes (heh) the Order is already in.
    The conflict may seem trivial to you, but I'm sure it's much more important to Andi. In fact, I'm sure it's much more important to Andi than some silly quest about adventurers rushing off to save the world (which probably happens all the time, or at least to hear Julio tell it).

Edit: Seems ferrying adventurers has happened at least a few times already.
    Last edited by mouser9169; 2016-07-06 at 04:51 PM.
    Skipper of the Good Ship O-ChOona (accepting crew applications)
    Launched June 3, 2016. Oona+O-Chul OTP Forever!!!!

"Like a tenacious child we were born, born to be wild ...
    we're gonna climb so high we're never gonna die" - Steppenwolf

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I mean...according to Andi, it isn't, but she's pretty biased. Seems to think she's near the front of the line to inherit the Mechane just because she's a long-serving engineer, which doesn't make sense to me. As an engineer, she might know everything there is to know about the ship, but not necessarily commanding the crew or making the decisions. I think she could be deluding herself about what it means that Bandana is getting command experience and she isn't.
    About than half of the Commanding Officers on the ships I served on in the Navy had served as the Chief Engineer. The other two major departments -- weapons and operations -- accounted for the other half. It may have changed a bit, in terms of balance, since then in the Navy, but being technically competent is a major must for the captain of a ship.

Enjoyed the Belkar as comic relief strip. I agree with the idea that Mechane may not stick around once the delivery to dwarven lands happens.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2016-07-06 at 05:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Velazquez View Post
    Giant is such a master in decelerating the narrative plot.
    This. Now it will take a year to get back to the MitD..... buuuuuuuuuut its funny.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Count Chock-Full-O-Nuts and his Creepy Crew" would make an excellent band name. Though admittedly the bar of admission there is pretty low.

I'm curious whether Andi's conviction that Julio is just temporarily retiring is actually accurate, or merely self-delusion.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean...according to Andi, it isn't, but she's pretty biased. Seems to think she's near the front of the line to inherit the Mechane just because she's a long-serving engineer, which doesn't make sense to me. As an engineer, she might know everything there is to know about the ship, but not necessarily commanding the crew or making the decisions. I think she could be deluding herself about what it means that Bandana is getting command experience and she isn't.
    Not to mention the ship most probably is Julio's personal property, and he can give, sell or lend it to whoever he wishes. He probably sees Bandana as a daughter figure of sorts, since she has been raised in the ship and he has watched her grow... it makes sense that whe would pass the ship to her when the time comes.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    About than half of the Commanding Officers on the ships I served on in the Navy had served as the Chief Engineer. The other two major departments -- weapons and operations -- accounted for the other half. It may have changed a bit, in terms of balance, since then in the Navy, but being technically competent is a major must for the captain of a ship.
    I defer to your experience, then, and fair point.

Still, we've never had any indication from any character other than Andi that Andi was in the running to take command of the ship. Julio's choice this time was Bandana, and Andi's wording suggests that she wasn't actually privy to his reasons, whatever she wishes that they were.
    "Ah! your talk, your damned philosophy!"
    "Talk? It's not talk. It's not reason. It's hand's touch. I touch the wholeness, I hold it. Which is moonlight, which is Takver? How shall I fear death? When I hold it, when I hold in my hands the light--"
    -Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I'm curious whether Andi's conviction that Julio is just temporarily retiring is actually accurate, or merely self-delusion.
    I wonder if Andi knows that Julio gave his Chaos Sabre to Elan. That'd be the strongest (though not definite, I suppose) indication that it's a retirement, rather than a vacation like Julio's message to Elan says.

And I keep seeing the "banana edition" of that sixth panel....

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

"It belongs to, what's her name? The chick with the bandana"

Belkar is rivaling Xykon for "terrible with names" here - at least Xykon can remember "Redcloak"

(And yes, I know it's because he doesn't care about or pay attention to the crew. I just found it funny.)
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2016-07-06 at 05:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

"too much garlic messes with my sophisticated halfling palate"

Am I the only one who finds that line hilarious? As a reason to avoid using a specialiced weapon, it's priceless.

Today's strip is an instant classic, to be quoted any time someone references the three most usual methods to keep a vampire at bay.
    Last edited by TuringTest; 2016-07-06 at 05:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    "It belongs to, what's her name? The chick with the bandana"

Belkar is rivaling Xykon for "terrible with names" here - at least Xykon can remember "Redcloak"
    Overlooking that Belkar's had the opporunity to learn Bandana's name moniker, the line's up there with

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

I just got here and all the comments I read were about the homophone joke. I thought it was a funny joke, I guess I just have a different sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly d6 View Post
    Yup.
    Actually to make Holy Water you need a hefty amount of powdered silver (as "material component"). The metal is rarely allergic for human skin but who knows about halflings?

(Wild theories about Belkar being a lycanthrope incoming) :)
    After doing research, I have a wild hypothesis that Belkar is not a werewolf, but a demon
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.