New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1043 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post
    Actually, if they were cooked in an oak fire and marinated in garlic and holy water, but kept extra rare, they might qualify as tartare, which means he could still use them to kill the vampires... what Vampire could resist the delicious sent of bloody steak with a heavenly aroma?
    "Tartare" generally means raw.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Frankly I think it likely that her repairing damage to the the ships inner walls likely took all night...
    Based on what?

It also seem irrevalavant as to whether Bandana should have stuck around to oversee items on the ship during the day - again any random thing that might occur where a firm management decision would be needed.
    Time going wonky is relevant because Bandana being gone for a couple of hours is different from Bandana being gone all day.

(she didn't even know to pay them until one of them reminded her)...
    At which point she got them paid extravagantly for minimal work.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

I would also point out that "didn't remember to pay them" could also be rephrased to "didn't realize that she was the only one on board who was counting 'paying for the bulk of our really expensive ship repair' as something that meant anything."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Were Andi really secure in her claim to the ship and viewing Bandana as just a kid getting experience, one might imagine she would be a little more patient and willing to explain to the kid making newbie mistakes who's already landed them a cushy payday regardless.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    Were Andi really secure in her claim to the ship and viewing Bandana as just a kid getting experience, one might imagine she would be a little more patient and willing to explain to the kid making newbie mistakes who's already landed them a cushy payday regardless.
    Perhaps Merchtopian Julio's view on job security reflects in-universe Julio's?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd also like to point that Dancrilis' complaints about Bandana aren't reflected in Andi's comments about the situation in the comic. She hasn't complained about Bandana gallivanting off during repairs, not taking her management duties seriously or forcing Andi to supervise repairs while sleep deprived.

So whatever the relative value of Dancrilis' reasoning about Bandana's fitness for command of the vessel, it is not in evidence in the comic that Andi follows the same reasoning.

So even if Dancrilis, despite most people disagreeing with him, is right about Bandana's competence, as far as the comic shows his beef with Bandana is not Andi's beef with Bandana.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corneel View Post
    ...as far as the comic shows his beef with Bandana is not Andi's beef with Bandana.
    Beef? You think Andi's not sharing her steak?

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Beef? You think Andi's not sharing her steak?
    Why should she. Everyone has their own st(e)ak(e).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Why should she. Everyone has their own st(e)ak(e).
    Well, if Andi has a beef with Bandana like you said, then Andi's clearly sharing her steak; why would she share with Bandana and not dancrilis? It sure doesn't look like there's too much at steak....I thought for a moment that maybe the cow was cursed with an accuracy penalty, but why would Andi eat any of a miss-steak?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, if Andi has a beef with Bandana like you said, then Andi's clearly sharing her steak; why would she share with Bandana and not dancrilis? It sure doesn't look like there's too much at steak....I thought for a moment that maybe the cow was cursed with an accuracy penalty, but why would Andi eat any of a miss-steak?
    There's more than one steak in a beef.

11. - Top - End - #191

I'd also add that talking about Andi's working hard to repair the ship in terms of her having a legitimate grudge against Bandana smacks of "Bandana is wrong because she's Bandana." Bandana and the people Andi wanted to stop acting like a "ferry service" for arranged for the ship's repair; Andi spearheaded the movement to treat the repair being paid for as worth nothing to anyone but Bandana.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'd also add that talking about Andi's working hard to repair the ship in terms of her having a legitimate grudge against Bandana smacks of "Bandana is wrong because she's Bandana." Bandana and the people Andi wanted to stop acting like a "ferry service" for arranged for the ship's repair; Andi spearheaded the movement to treat the repair being paid for as worth nothing to anyone but Bandana.
    Well if they hadn't played ferry service for the OoTS, they might not have needed those repairs, so the argument is not totally without merit.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Halfling in the Playground

You know, I feel like going into town and having a wacky and dramatic adventure with a bunch of PC's is probably exactly the kind of leadership skills that Julio was demonstrating to bandanna et al. throughout the course of his captaincy, considering that he has ferried Elan around after their training, and ALSO spontaneously showed up in the desert on explicitly personal missions both times, without a guarantee of real pay. Except for the fact that the crew would be fans of Julio and not Bandanna, I can't see how any of her actions are particularly different than what Julio could be assumed to be doing, considering his character so far. Not that we expressly know everything of course.

14. - Top - End - #194

Well if they hadn't played ferry service for the OoTS, they might not have needed those repairs, so the argument is not totally without merit.
    I think that only seems to work on the surface. Piracy is dangerous. Substantially more dangerous than being a ferry service. Andi is exhorting the crew to get back to more dangerous activities; for her to argue for that at the same time as blaming Bandana for the recent damage to the ship would smack of the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach to the desired conclusion "Bandana shouldn't be in charge."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think that only seems to work on the surface. Piracy is dangerous. Substantially more dangerous than being a ferry service. Andi is exhorting the crew to get back to more dangerous activities; for her to argue for that at the same time as blaming Bandana for the recent damage to the ship would smack of the "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" approach to the desired conclusion "Bandana shouldn't be in charge."
    Surface reasoning sometimes trumps deep or true reasoning as far as convincing people goes.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

I'm probably going to get lynched for saying this, but I think you guys are reading way too much into Andi saying she had a better claim to the ship than Bandana. Unless Scoundrél suddenly bites it/retires for good, it's irrelevant who's got a better claim to the ship. The line read more as a throw-away detail showing how much Andi cares about the Mechane to me, not that there's foreshadowing for an eventual mutiny or whatever.

But, you know, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Iximaz; 2016-07-08 at 06:42 PM.
    "He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind, but he who sticks out in darkness is... fluorescent." -Brother Silence, The Dorkness Rising

17. - Top - End - #197

That reads like you're thinking this is the first thing Andi's said against Bandana and people are jumping to conclusions based on it alone.

If that's accurate, there are multiple strips since they were introduced that it might be a good idea to reread--most of all this one.

If you knew that, and you just don't think that tension will ever be brought up again, my apologies for misreading you.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not sure...I'm starting to get the impression Andi's main issue is that she wasn't the one left in charge, and Bandana's the target of the related frustration because Bandana was left in charge.
    Yeah, I'm getting a "Fury of the undervalued" vibe from Andi, myself.

She's older than Bandana and has 15 years of experience keeping the Mechane together only to have Julio put "the kid" in command? Throw in her working overnight getting the Mechane fixed while Bandana goes out with the PC's and it's not hard to see why Andi is smarting with resentment.

This being a D&D world Julio placing Bandana in charge could be attributed to Andi having a lower charisma than Bandana.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoelessgdowar View Post

I think Belkar has far more skillsets, than those. Murder, Cooking, Jumping, Animal Befriending, Recognizing Evil, Singing, Plot Driving, Surviving, Kobold Corpse Usage, Snarking, Comedic Timing, Taunting, Role Playing, Vocabulary abuse... and he is expanding the list all the time.
    Please don't forget "Craft Disturbing Mental Image"
    When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!”

"Eeeek!!!!"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
    Yeah, I'm getting a "Fury of the undervalued" vibe from Andi, myself.

She's older than Bandana and has 15 years of experience keeping the Mechane together only to have Julio put "the kid" in command? Throw in her working overnight getting the Mechane fixed while Bandana goes out with the PC's and it's not hard to see why Andi is smarting with resentment.

This being a D&D world Julio placing Bandana in charge could be attributed to Andi having a lower charisma than Bandana.
    Please don't forget "Craft Disturbing Mental Image"
    Just as a friendly heads up, in order to avoid double posting, there's actually an edit option available in each post! If you want to reply to an additional quote specifically, you can just click the 'quote' button and copy/paste the information there to a new response. Double-posting is generally considered a bit of a faux pas around here, since it clogs up the post page and makes skimming the thread for a post harder, among other reasons.

Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.

21. - Top - End - #201

If you want to reply to an additional quote specifically, you can just click the 'quote' button and copy/paste the information there to a new response.
    Or click the multiquote button (pair of quote marks next with a + sign next to it) for each post and then hit Reply to Thread, or hit the quote button for only the last one you want to quote.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Or click the multiquote button (pair of quote marks next with a + sign next to it) for each post and then hit Reply to Thread, or hit the quote button for only the last one you want to quote.
    Good point! I meant more for just if you need to edit it in after you've already posted, but if you're posting all at once, multiquote is the best.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Allergies to wet silver bricks
    This is a common one among werewolves and iron alike
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

That reads like you're thinking this is the first thing Andi's said against Bandana and people are jumping to conclusions based on it alone.

If that's accurate, there are multiple strips since they were introduced that it might be a good idea to reread--most of all this one.

If you knew that, and you just don't think that tension will ever be brought up again, my apologies for misreading you.
    The latter. Yes, I think Andi's got reasons to be upset with Bandana, but not to the extent people are making it out to be. Even if Julio had handed control over to somebody more competent, people would have been dissatisfied with a change in the status quo. I'm 99% certain that it's just adding a bit of depth to the world and characters, and that it's not foreshadowing an eventual confrontation. (And if there was a confrontation, it would be more along the lines of "Hey, you're kind of not running things the way we like, so shape up, B" and not "I'm taking over as the captain now, k?")
    "He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind, but he who sticks out in darkness is... fluorescent." -Brother Silence, The Dorkness Rising

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    This is a common one among werewolves and iron alike
    And... iron?

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Iximaz View Post
    The latter. Yes, I think Andi's got reasons to be upset with Bandana, but not to the extent people are making it out to be. Even if Julio had handed control over to somebody more competent, people would have been dissatisfied with a change in the status quo. I'm 99% certain that it's just adding a bit of depth to the world and characters, and that it's not foreshadowing an eventual confrontation. (And if there was a confrontation, it would be more along the lines of "Hey, you're kind of not running things the way we like, so shape up, B," and not "I'm taking over as the captain now, k?")
    Ooooh, I totally disagree. I mean, it sounds like you're saying that Andi doesn't have a good enough reason to cause serious trouble for Bandana (and our heroes.) And I agree with that. Andi's nursing a frustrated sense of entitlement that doesn't seem to entirely reflect reality. But this?

I'm 99% certain that it's just adding a bit of depth to the world and characters, and that it's not foreshadowing an eventual confrontation.
    No way. Andi's problems with Bandana and the misuse (to Andi's mind) of the Mechane have come up in at least six comics (952, 961, 965, 988, 1028, 1043.) In the more recent three of those, by my judgment, this tension is a major focus of the strip. This is a plot point that's being developed. It started out with little snipes (Andi refusing to call Bandana "Captain," Bandana telling Andi not to get her knickers in a twist) and has escalated. In 1028, Andi tries getting the rest of the crew to side with her, but they're mollified by the money Roy offers them, which serves to divide her from them. In this comic, we learn more about her sense of protective ownership for the Mechane, her belief that she has been personally wronged by Julio's choice of Bandana as acting captain, and her continuing dissatisfaction with the general situation aboard the ship. In short, she's clearly being set up to blow. If this has all been just for a bit of flavor, that's bad writing.
    "Ah! your talk, your damned philosophy!"
    "Talk? It's not talk. It's not reason. It's hand's touch. I touch the wholeness, I hold it. Which is moonlight, which is Takver? How shall I fear death? When I hold it, when I hold in my hands the light--"
    -Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Y'know, if we're gonna analogize the management structure of a fantasy pirate airship to that of a modern office environment, then I suggest that Andi lost out on the promotion for not correctly filing her TPS reports.

Meanwhile, Bandanna has never forgotten a single one of her co-worker's birthdays and she brings her special homemade cookies to the department potlucks, while Andi always brings just napkins.

And of course, Bandanna observes her workplace dress code so fanatically that she changed her own name to reflect the most iconic garment of the pirate life (a bandanna). Meanwhile, Andi wears a scarf. Imagine! A pirate wearing a scarf! It's not technically against the rules, but it is rather looked upon unfavorably by management. But no matter how many company-wide memos we send out subtly referring to the importance of enthusiasm and team spirit, some people just can't be bothered to reflect pride, passion, and flair in their professional dress.

And y'know, Andi NEVER forwards the company email chain letters. *shakes head*

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just as a friendly heads up, in order to avoid double posting, there's actually an edit option available in each post! If you want to reply to an additional quote specifically, you can just click the 'quote' button and copy/paste the information there to a new response. Double-posting is generally considered a bit of a faux pas around here, since it clogs up the post page and makes skimming the thread for a post harder, among other reasons.
    I know. I didn't mean to mess up. My toddler niece jumped on my lap and I got distracted.

Oops.

Thanx for the friendly reminder. It's much more pleasant here than on some sites' forums.

"Eeeek!!!!"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I know. I didn't mean to mess up. My toddler niece jumped on my lap and I got distracted.

Oops.

Thanx for the friendly reminder. It's much more pleasant here than on some sites' forums.
    No problem! Toddlers can do that sort of thing XD

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

No problem! Toddlers can do that sort of thing XD
    For a second, I thought you meant "toddlers can give polite heads-up," and I was all sorts of confused.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-07-09 at 04:28 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2