New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

Honestly considering dropping my Skelehorde and picking up a different allegiance/army as I just can't figure out how to make a tarpit army work when every other army seems to have Keyword: ignore tarpit. I had hope for some Shadespire love but the Sepulchral Guard are just skeleton warriors. If the only way to play Death well is glass cannon Vampire Calvary, it's time to move on.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You definitely need a hammer in a Death army, I don't think it's possible to just go pure horde and hope to do anything. Are you running something like a Zombie Dragon/Terrorgheist/Mortarch?

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    You definitely need a hammer in a Death army, I don't think it's possible to just go pure horde and hope to do anything. Are you running something like a Zombie Dragon/Terrorgheist/Mortarch?
    nope was really hoping I didn't need one. At the same time, I'm not sure having a single unit that must be alpha'd solves Death's systemic problems.

Spoiler: what I have
    Show

necromancer
    Wight king
    grave guard 30
    skelly war 40
    hexwraith 5
    spirit host 3
    sepical G
    vamp lord
    Cairn wraith 2 (Why Are they LEADERS?)

Quick math check says I can fit an terrogiest easily by going to 1500.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2017-11-10 at 11:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    nope was really hoping I didn't need one. At the same time, I'm not sure having a single unit that must be alpha'd solves Death's systemic problems.

Spoiler: what I have
    Show

necromancer
    Wight king
    grave guard 30
    skelly war 40
    hexwraith 5
    spirit host 3
    sepical G
    vamp lord
    Cairn wraith 2 (Why Are they LEADERS?)

Quick math check says I can fit an terrogiest easily by going to 1500.
    Yeah having a power unit does open you up to alpha strikes, but since you are Death, you have the best bubblewrap in the game and your big nasties have a free defensive boost (if not multiple). You might be able to get away with a no big nasty list, but Death also lacks hard punching foot dudes, unless you're summoning Morghasts, which is actually not a bad plan in many ways.

VLoZD, AGKoTG, or a Mortarch are all good hammers. Heck, my theoretical Death purchase would take 2 mounted generic Heroes just so I can hit both sides of the board or have a serious spearpoint. Blood Knights can also do the trick, though you've expressed your dislike. 6-9 man blocks of Horrors/Vargheists/Flayers can also be solid picks for that, and they can combo with things pretty well.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah having a power unit does open you up to alpha strikes, but since you are Death, you have the best bubblewrap in the game and your big nasties have a free defensive boost (if not multiple). You might be able to get away with a no big nasty list, but Death also lacks hard punching foot dudes, unless you're summoning Morghasts, which is actually not a bad plan in many ways.

VLoZD, AGKoTG, or a Mortarch are all good hammers. Heck, my theoretical Death purchase would take 2 mounted generic Heroes just so I can hit both sides of the board or have a serious spearpoint. Blood Knights can also do the trick, though you've expressed your dislike. 6-9 man blocks of Horrors/Vargheists/Flayers can also be solid picks for that, and they can combo with things pretty well.
    *insert grumbling about being only able to take 30 grave guard here*

My issue really could be summed up as "doesn't play Flesh Eater Courts". For now though it's time to figure out how to magnetize the TerrorGiest/undead dragon and see how things improve.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

5 games into Shadespire so far, less than I'd want but getting a good feel for the game.

Played Stormcast and Orruks. Stormcast feel strong but losing one model is so devastating and there are lots of fighters that can reach 4 damage attacks with upgrades. I'm trying out a defensive deck for them, playing back and forcing aggressive armies to come in. However I think it would be weak to more mobile defensive decks, like Objective based Khorne.

Orruks are so good. Just seem to have it all - good stats, strong Faction Ploys and Objectives, and Ironskull himself is nearly impossible to stop with 5 wounds and getting upgraded. I'd probably play them if they weren't the most played faction around here.

There's a couple events this weekend and I think I'm gonna try Khorne or Skellies. I love my Stormcast models but I don't think they're my playstyle, and the other two seem really interesting.

In the AoS world, the other weekend I hosted a one day tourney with 12 people and actually got to play! Brought my Aetherstrike and went 2-1. The damage output is obscene, but the mobility and flexibility is just so low that if your opponent can play around you it's sorta hard to win. I feel like the list is strong it just feels much harder to pilot than, say, Skyborne.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

which Mixed Death would you rather run:

Spoiler: list 1
    Show

grave guard 10 160
    grave guard 10 160
    wight king 1 120
    zombie dragon w/ ghoul king 1 440
    hexwraiths 5 160
    skely warriors 20 160
    skely warriors 20 160
    vampire lord 1 140
    total= 1500pts

Spoiler: List 2
    Show

grave guard 15 240
    grave guard 15 240
    wight king 1 120
    zombie dragon w/ ghoul king 1 440
    skely warriors 20 160
    skely warriors 20 160
    vampire lord 1 140
    total =1500pts

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hm, I tend to like larger blocks for Death, and I don't rate Hexwraiths at anything other than Objective grabbers, so I'd say probably the one with 2x15 Grave Guard? I don't think the less effective blocks of dudes is worth the off chance that your one unit of speedy horses will get an objective.

On the other hand, they can flank important backline units like Artillery or squishy Wizards, so maybe I'm wrong. I'd try out the one with the Hexwraiths and if they don't pull their weight over a couple games, just ditch em. Everything else looks good imo, except why the Gould King on Zombie Dragon? Out of the 3 mounted Heroes that kit can make imo that one is the weakest, but I don't have a huge amount of experience with it.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, I tend to like larger blocks for Death, and I don't rate Hexwraiths at anything other than Objective grabbers, so I'd say probably the one with 2x15 Grave Guard? I don't think the less effective blocks of dudes is worth the off chance that your one unit of speedy horses will get an objective.

On the other hand, they can flank important backline units like Artillery or squishy Wizards, so maybe I'm wrong. I'd try out the one with the Hexwraiths and if they don't pull their weight over a couple games, just ditch em. Everything else looks good imo, except why the Gould King on Zombie Dragon? Out of the 3 mounted Heroes that kit can make imo that one is the weakest, but I don't have a huge amount of experience with it.
    I wanted a dragon, an ghoul king has the better health point replenishment.

Also apparently Wisconsin is on the east coast.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I wanted a dragon, an ghoul king has the better health point replenishment.

Also apparently Wisconsin is on the east coast.
    "It's further east than Las Vegas, right?"

Turns out USA doesn't have a monopoly on stupid ideas about foreign geography.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"It's further east than Las Vegas, right?"

Turns out USA doesn't have a monopoly on stupid ideas about foreign geography.
    They obviously moved it since the last time the English were there...

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Malign Portents Facebook teaser

may this lead to more than 4 models and a champaign book.

And a shiny new countdown site
    Last edited by 9mm; 2017-12-14 at 08:35 AM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Shiny new countdown site indeed! Sometime on Jan 3?

I've honestly been thinking of starting a Death army (mostly Soulblight because non-tween Vampires are cool) and this is really getting me excited!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm still trying to figure out my LVO list. I personally really like Skyborne Slayers since I really got into Stormcast to play a hard Alpha Strike army, but I think Aetherstrike is probably the stronger army out there right now, especially with many people building their forces to defend against Alphas.

Mainly I'm worried about Tzeentch. The Changehost + Gaunt Summoner + 9 Skyfires list I think is almost unbeatable, it basically competes in every phase of the game with little to no problem and doesn't have a single linchpin unit that you can kill - while killing the LoC shuts down the Changehost, the Skyfires are still strong. Killing the Shaman and maybe a unit of Skyfires will slow down the ranged damage, but then he can flood the objective with Horrors and still has a Gaunt on Balewind. I think the best play is try to gib the Gaunt and cripple the LoC as much as possible, and then just eat some Skyfire shooting while getting objectives. It's really quite painful for my Stormcast, since those multi-damage attacks can quickly mess up an entire unit with little to no comeback potential.

I really want to put my Stardrake in a tourney list, but there's enough out there that can blast him to paste in one turn that I'm quite shying away from it.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Last edited by 9mm; 2017-12-18 at 03:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

His ability is pretty garbage. If the only difference between him and the regular Celestant is trading Command Abilities and trading the Cloak for the Shield, hard pass. +3" is nice but it doesn't actually work with most of the Stormcast army since he's on foot.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

His ability is pretty garbage. If the only difference between him and the regular Celestant is trading Command Abilities and trading the Cloak for the Shield, hard pass. +3" is nice but it doesn't actually work with most of the Stormcast army since he's on foot.
    insert grumbling about how we still know nothing about the knight of shades here.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'm beginning to learn the beauty of allies. At first I thought Stormcast were fine by themselves, and they mostly are, but you know what helps a super elite army? 50 to 80 Skinks.

Also looking to move away from Battalions. Aetherstrike is really strong but also has some serious limitations. Same with Skyborne.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/24/new-champion-revealed-fungoid-cave-shaman/

Grot Champion for Destruction! Was not expecting that, 100% was ready for another Ironjawz dude.
    Last edited by Requizen; 2017-12-24 at 04:08 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/24/new-champion-revealed-fungoid-cave-shaman/

Grot Champion for Destruction! Was not expecting that, 100% was ready for another Ironjawz dude.
    Good old goblins tripping on mushrooms. That said I note the present has combination of sigmar and 40k symbols on the tag, bet it's a demon.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Good old goblins tripping on mushrooms. That said I note the present has combination of sigmar and 40k symbols on the tag, bet it's a demon.
    That's just the Warhammer Community logo iirc

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-3/

GUO, but also Battletome: Maggotkin of Nurgle! If it's anything like Blades of Khorne or Disciples of Tzeentch, it's going to be freaking awesome.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Banned

Devil

I do like the Rotigus model.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

So Battleforce: Blades of the Blood Queen comes with a war-scroll battalion, but no point costs for it. Guess getting +2 attacks with Neferata when near The Morghast Archai is free?

Interesting tidbit from the battletome announcement video The Glotkin are worried about Nagash it seems. Malign Portents may very well be Nagash and Nurgle going at it.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2017-12-27 at 12:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If there is no cost for a battalion, then you cannot use it in games that use points. This includes most of the ones that come with box sets.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    If there is no cost for a battalion, then you cannot use it in games that use points. This includes most of the ones that come with box sets.
    phooey. going from 8+ drops to 3 would have been fun.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...pion-revealed/

Aaaand it's a Stormcast.

Look, I play Stormcast (even in Shadespire, though not as much as Skeletons). I love the aesthetics. I get that they're the "main characters" much like Space Marines are.

But could we go one release without one? I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...pion-revealed/

Aaaand it's a Stormcast.

Look, I play Stormcast (even in Shadespire, though not as much as Skeletons). I love the aesthetics. I get that they're the "main characters" much like Space Marines are.

But could we go one release without one? I'm not surprised, I'm just disappointed.
    stormcast hero, yawn.

yet another video that mentions stuff happening in Shayesh, YES!

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground