New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

Yeah I'm assuming that the Legions will have small tweaks at most given how long ago it was that they got their codex. I sort of want to leave some points for the endless spells but I feel like my armies will need Vanhels Dance and Amethystine Pinions too much. 13" flying move on an infantry squad popping out of a grave seems like a really nasty trick to pull (since it means I can hold my graves back and still get enemies out of them).

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Supposed contents of the new set:

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2994

I was for sure buying one to split anyway, if this is legit I might do two

3. - Top - End - #603
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Begun, the Soul Wars have.

Alright, ladies and gents, this is what all of our training has been for (or I'm just feeling dramatic)!

New edition releases rundown:

New starter set: snap fit of course, contains exactly what requizen said it would. Related, new snap fits to round out what's in that box. Also, If my reading is up to snuff you get the Whole Rulebook in it, not just the dinky starter like in old starter kits.

3 new books:

Core book: Extensive lore on the realms, rules for fighting in the realms, matched play battleplans, narrative play advice, and more

Malign Sorcery: Magical lore (fluff), realm lores, endless spells, more

Generals Handbook 2018: more battleplans, more narrative, rules for really big games, and faction updates

Anyone else excited?

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Very excited! If you watch the newest StormCast, they clarify that the box has both a small "Core Rules" book (previously the 4 page rules, now 18), plus the full Rules, which has everything you mentioned. GHB 2018 will continue to have Allegiance Abilities for all the ones in GHB2017, so that's nice if you're still waiting on a Battletome (or are playing Dispossessed/Free Peoples and won't get one at all )

I'll be swapping models from the starter set with a local, so I'll be going Soul Wars + GHB + Malign Sorcery + at least one of each Stormcast pushfit box. Probably pass on all the dice/markers/etc as usual. Even with FLGS 15% preorder discount, it'll be an expensive June for Requizen

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...thaunt-part-2/

Nighthaunt part 2 (and SCE part 2 coming tomorrow!).

Getting a blobby unit that has Summonable and a Wizard that rezzes them? Whoo boy it's going to be a good time to play Nighthaunts in this edition. Curious they didn't show off the mounted dude, he seems to be a real highlight of the box.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm debating whether to get the starter kit or not. On the one hand, I have a sizeable stormcast army already, so just adding to it is feasible, and I use an upgrade sprue for the shoulders/shields etc. On the other, it will probably be a good deal.

I don't know if anyone has been paying attention to the rumor mill pictures released by GW, but I'm 90% certain spiderfang grots are coming up.
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2018-06-05 at 12:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yeah they're not being super subtle about the Grot teasers at this point imo.

Though watch it be something else and they were screwing with us the whole time or something.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

The new wizard stormcasts (with female models ) have me reeeeaaally tempted to switch armies. Sorry Tzeentch, but your mortal followers are all dudes and your mutants do not have nearly enough tentacles for my tastes.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Stormcast preview part 2: new unit boogaloo

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-3/

Evocators are essentially a new variant of Paladin - same statline, similar attacks, spells instead of the special abilities.

Ballista is a solid artillery unit, d6 hits per hit (like the amazing Shockbolt bow on Judicators) is always a good rule, and means I'm gonna be buying a Lord-Ordinator to go with mine.

Sequitors are the business. 1 in 3 get the weapon upgrade (Liberators are 1 in 5 for comparison) and the champion gets one for free. For a Battleline unit, that's a lot of punchy and can still take hits on the 4+ RR1s shields.

Looking very nice for my Stormcast. I had no doubt, posterboys and all, but I'm really excited to see the full release.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm, kinda mad at sequitors? While evokers are quite good, they don't overshadow the paladins. Sequitors on the other hand are better than Liberators in every way I can think of.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    I'm, kinda mad at sequitors? While evokers are quite good, they don't overshadow the paladins. Sequitors on the other hand are better than Liberators in every way I can think of.
    They'll probably cost a decent bit more.
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow
    -Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #611
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    They'll probably cost a decent bit more.
    It doesn't feel like enough to me. Eh, doesn't matter I guess. They're great models, and I'll probably get some when the full kit comes out.

For those who care about the lore, Here's why Nagash is so cranky.

Tidbit from that: There are at least two more elven races/factions out there, one each for Tyrion and Malerion.

In other news, the Sacrosanct Chambers have different shield designs than the warrior (regular) ones. Does anyone think that they'll release upgrade sprues for the other stormhosts?
    Last edited by RagingBluMunky; 2018-06-07 at 04:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Having found a steal of a deal on a Barrow Kings box, my current planned list looks like this:

Legion of Blood
    Deathmarch - 110pts
    Wight King - 120 (That relic they teased that makes you Ethereal)
    10 Skeletons - 80
    10 Skeletons - 80
    20 Skeletons - 160
    10 Black Knights - 240
    20 Grave Guard - 320
    Vampire Lord - 140 (Amulet Of Screams, General: Soul-Crushing Contempt, Spell: Amethystine Pinions)
    Morghast Archai - 220

The wight king can be on a horse (i'm going to convert one up from the cool mounted knight of shrouds), and with the Ethereal relic he gets to keep his 3+ save no matter what - or is 4+-and-half-damage better? Loses twenty skeletons for ten grave guard, which is a pretty good deal if only in terms of how much I have to paint. How should I equip Skeletons and Grave Guard? -1 to hit is a big deal, as 40k has eloquently taught me, but I don't know how valuable that extra inch of range is. I assume it should be a handful of swords and the rest spears? As for the grave guard - a 4+ save against things that don't rend seems pretty neat for mere skellingtons, though perhaps I can just keep resurrecting them and enjoy 2-4 attacks each at 4+/3+ with rend.

Also, if I give the Grave Guard great weapons, I can take instead the spell that makes them Ethereal and not worry about missing the positive modifier.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-06-11 at 12:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Having found a steal of a deal on a Barrow Kings box, my current planned list looks like this:

Legion of Blood
    Deathmarch - 110pts
    Wight King - 120 (That relic they teased that makes you Ethereal)
    10 Skeletons - 80
    10 Skeletons - 80
    20 Skeletons - 160
    10 Black Knights - 240
    20 Grave Guard - 320
    Vampire Lord - 140 (Amulet Of Screams, General: Soul-Crushing Contempt, Spell: Amethystine Pinions)
    Morghast Archai - 220

The wight king can be on a horse (i'm going to convert one up from the cool mounted knight of shrouds), and with the Ethereal relic he gets to keep his 3+ save no matter what - or is 4+-and-half-damage better? Loses twenty skeletons for ten grave guard, which is a pretty good deal if only in terms of how much I have to paint. How should I equip Skeletons and Grave Guard? -1 to hit is a big deal, as 40k has eloquently taught me, but I don't know how valuable that extra inch of range is. I assume it should be a handful of swords and the rest spears? As for the grave guard - a 4+ save against things that don't rend seems pretty neat for mere skellingtons, though perhaps I can just keep resurrecting them and enjoy 2-4 attacks each at 4+/3+ with rend.

Also, if I give the Grave Guard great weapons, I can take instead the spell that makes them Ethereal and not worry about missing the positive modifier.
    Now we've reached near the bounds of my Death knowledge

I think the range for big units of Skeletons is better: more ranks = more attacks, which is generally better than a better profile. In general, range will be your friend if you're using the Skeletons as a screen, so you can string them out and still fight with more things.

For Grave Guard, I have no idea. Better saves are nice, but you're right, it's so easy to rez that maybe it's not a big deal? I would use shields personally, but I can see both arguments.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at the list again, 2d3+1 resurrections per turn is about a quarter of the unit, which doesn't feel like enough to be worth throwing away my defensive capabilities for. Given that all other skeleton units are either 5+ or *hollow laughter* in terms of saves, it's probably best I use my Grave Guard as a moderately damaging unkillable wedge, and send Morghasts or Black Knights after things with enough attacks and rend to chew through them.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://malignportents.com/story/dying-star/

New Malign Portents story focusing on Seraphon. So it turns out (either by minor retcon or just unexplored lore) that not all of the non-Slann are just memories. There are living Lizards on the ships and spawning pools creating more. Interesting lore exploration for a faction that has been on the backburner for a while!

16. - Top - End - #616
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Agreed, though I wonder how recent a development that is.

Thinking of seraphon in general makes me wonder why they are the only old faction to get its own battletome. Are they the only ones deemed changed in lore enough to warrant it? For that matter, are we going to ever get battletomes or new models for old factions?

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

I assume that going forward we're going to see more or less what's happened before - some factions (or new split-up mini-factions) get their own books without much change to the model range (Seraphon, Flesh-Eater Courts, Bonesplitterz and in the future... dunno. Wanderers or Beastmen would be nice easy releases: rebox, new character, done and dusted.) Some get expanded out from a single old set or idea (Fireslayers, Ironjaws, Nighthaunt, presumably stuff like Swifthawk Agents and Scourge Privateers), and some are entirely new (Deepkin, Overlords, whatever they do next).

I do wonder how much Legions of Nagash is "what death will look like going forward" and how much it is "get you by until Battletome: Soulblight". Looking at the current division of factions, I can't imagine that we're going to see Battletome: Ironweld Arsenal any time soon, for instance.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I have no idea if it'll happen, but I could see something like Battletome: Mortals of Order which has rules for Ironweld Arsenal, Free Peoples and Dispossessed, or something like that.

I'm glad to see that there are still some living non-Slann lizards around, especially as (as the story shows) more free-willed mortals in a faction means more potential for characters and interesting stories.
    Last edited by Adrastos42; 2018-06-12 at 05:14 PM.
    LGBTQIA+ITP

19. - Top - End - #619
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you now Lady Olynder, the Mortarch of Grief!

I think this is pretty darn neat. It's interesting that they didn't have her on the spectral mount like the other mortarchs.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBluMunky View Post
    It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you now Lady Olynder, the Mortarch of Grief!

I think this is pretty darn neat. It's interesting that they didn't have her on the spectral mount like the other mortarchs.
    Like the sculpt a lot! Curious about the scale - without anything to comare it to, is the base like a 50mm and a foot hero or 100mm like the Celestant-Prime? Either would be fine, just wondering. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

AOS 2.0 CORE RULES ARE UP FOR DOWNLOAD, THIS IS NOT A DRILL

interesting they didn't answer the whole "if I have 40 skeletons how many banners do I get?" question. However that split units rule change... hoards are going to go down.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2018-06-14 at 09:54 AM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    AOS 2.0 CORE RULES ARE UP FOR DOWNLOAD, THIS IS NOT A DRILL

interesting they didn't answer the whole "if I have 40 skeletons how many banners do I get?" question. However that split units rule change... hoards are going to go down.
    Hordes as tarpits will still be a thing. Just not "tie up 3 different units and still hold an objective over on the other side of the table" thing. Especially Skellies, Skinks, Chainrasps, and Plague Monks. Maybe Grots if they get a points drop.

I like the rules. Some small changes, some clarifications, but keeping the streamlined rules and gameplay that makes me love the game.

Also, some captures about SCE unit rules:

Spoiler
    Show

Castigators seem interesting. Rend-2 or rerolls gives some versatility, but shorter range and no special weapon (yet, could change with multipart release) means they don't replace Judicators or Vanguard-Raptors.

The Arcanum seems really strong. Good buffs, good healing, solid damage, deny death on a model... nice. Plinked off my Stardrake? Nope, 1 Wound left and I'll heal him next turn. Seems good.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, the Lord Arcanum looks fun for running with my Fulminators. Or having around for the Celestant-Prime...

24. - Top - End - #624
    Banned

So, new learn to play videos. The teaser with Duncan was fun; a bit cringy, but fun. It was so sad when he said 'But I've done a lot of painting already, I want to play'.

People locally are cautiously interested and finally getting over the shock from Fantasy dying on them, Hopefully we'll get a community for AoS soon-ish

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

At least I now have a hard incentive to finish my Skellies, so I can work on my three imperial knights, to be done before soul wars drops... HELP!
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Allies seem to be 1 out of every 4 units instead of points. This is...better than before.

So If I run 8 units, 2 of them can be Warherd and keep my allegiance ability. Between Bullgors, Cygor, Doombull and Ghorgon I guess it's not the worst that could happen.

Still no word on the brayherd getting a hero that doesn't suck, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Allegiances also may have spell lores. Give me something good Brayherd. Anything. I'm sick of getting flattened by literally everything. Nurgle, Stormcast, Beastclaw, Tzeench, even elves. I'd like to not instantly flatten against everything in the damn game.

EDIT: Ooh, battleshock has an interesting rule. "Add 1 to bravery for every 10 models in the unit" that could be useful...
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2018-06-14 at 08:48 PM.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

That has always been there....

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    That has always been there....
    oops. Then I never played with it. I dont' think it came up too much.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Has anyone here played a Path to Glory campaign? I've been thinking of trying to get some friends to start one, and I was wondering if anyone had advice, tips, common pitfalls and the like to share.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I have. Number 1 tip. do not use the matched play missions. use the ones in the path to glory book. they are balanced for an unbalanced number of units on each side if you want to take upgrades. prevents people from just taking another unit as upgrades every time.

Tip number 2, if someone wants to play beastclaw raiders...just a flat out no.