New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    So, we got a demo for Age of Sigmar coming up, since we are now a Stockist store and that means keeping AoS on the shelves and we need to get people playing it :).

For the event, we thought we'd take people who already play and have them mentor someone who wants to learn. So for that each 'mentor' will be making a 500 points army for their 'pupil' to play with against other pupils; we'll post photos of the models online to gather interest and hopefully we'll get some people wanting to play.

With that being said, since I know very little of AoS, what would be good 500 points lists for:
    - Legions of Nagash / Deathrattle
    - Ironjawz
    - Flesheater Courts
    - Seraphon
    - Stormcast Eternals (we got A TON of push-fit Judicators, but Im guessing they can proxy as anything else, no?).
    Flesh Eaters I would go Ghoul King, Varghulf, 2x10 Ghouls. You get an additional 10 ghouls from summing, Varghulf is a beast in combat and can return ghouls. Ghoul King is pretty tough and has a great spell. Ghouls can be either split or merged, but 20 ghouls don't have that much impact in my experience so having 2x10 allows a bit more flexibility.

Personally I would move to 750pts or 1000pts quickly. Especially 1000pts can be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Banned

Of course, the idea is to start a sort-of scalation league right after with those who remain interested in the game. And we move forwards with community-building from there :)

3. - Top - End - #783
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Looking at making a Tzeentch force for a hyper-competative meta, from what I can gather, they're not as broken as they were, but can still pull their weight.

So far general consensus appears to be LoC with rod, gaunt summoner on balewind, 1-2 Min horrors, kairics for remaining battleline, at least 6 enlightened or skyfires. That's 1400'ish points already, so what would be a good choice for the remainder? Tz marked CW's and a warshrine? Ogroid? Shaman and more enlightened /skyfires? Any good endless spells I should be looking for?

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drasius View Post
    Looking at making a Tzeentch force for a hyper-competative meta, from what I can gather, they're not as broken as they were, but can still pull their weight.

So far general consensus appears to be LoC with rod, gaunt summoner on balewind, 1-2 Min horrors, kairics for remaining battleline, at least 6 enlightened or skyfires. That's 1400'ish points already, so what would be a good choice for the remainder? Tz marked CW's and a warshrine? Ogroid? Shaman and more enlightened /skyfires? Any good endless spells I should be looking for?
    I love Enlightened currently, the more the merrier. A big, 30 man unit of Tzaangor might not be amiss either, as a blob unit. What about a second LoC or Kairos?

I'm not crazy about Warriors, but if you take them then the Shrine is probably a must take.
    Very exciting. It'll be usable for Adepticon too, which I can't wait to see.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    I love Enlightened currently, the more the merrier. A big, 30 man unit of Tzaangor might not be amiss either, as a blob unit. What about a second LoC or Kairos?

I'm not crazy about Warriors, but if you take them then the Shrine is probably a must take.
    I can't say that I'm experienced in AoS as I've only played a few games as a ringer back a couple of years ago, but it feels like I'm lacking both something killy and something sturdy, so I was thinking that CW and a warshrine should fill the second bit while also filling battleline IIRC.

I dunno about another LoC or fatey, they don't seem super-killy for their cost, but I could be very wrong. Enlightened could maybe fill both with enough of them. If I take fatey, that almost forces me to double down on enlightened or skyfires to abuse fold reality doesn't it?

Is it worth trying to get a StoD chaos leader in there at all? The foot sorcs spell is very nice and the manticore lord is fast'ish and sort of killy while being relatively durable with the shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't have enough casting to really get the most out of the summoning, hence asking about the Ogroid.

7. - Top - End - #787

Beholder

You definitly want a Shaman if you run any kind of Tzaangors. Big blob of Tzaangors is also neat, greatweapons pack quite the punch.

RE: Skaven & FEC books. Those are the two most dissapointing covers I have seen so far. FEC cover is a downgrade compared to the current one imo, and the Skaven book cover is pretty lame. Can't complain much about the fec book though, as GW smoothed me over with the promise of Zombie Dragon battlelines.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ettin in the Playground

Welp i've just gotten into Sigmarines as an army, playing sacrosanct chamber.

After my first game yesterday, sequitors are nasty things
    Like holy crap, they hit hard. How are they 120 point battleline?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
    Because something needs to compete with Grimgasts for proof that GW doesn't playtest AoS.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I can't say that I'm experienced in AoS as I've only played a few games as a ringer back a couple of years ago, but it feels like I'm lacking both something killy and something sturdy, so I was thinking that CW and a warshrine should fill the second bit while also filling battleline IIRC.

I dunno about another LoC or fatey, they don't seem super-killy for their cost, but I could be very wrong. Enlightened could maybe fill both with enough of them. If I take fatey, that almost forces me to double down on enlightened or skyfires to abuse fold reality doesn't it?

Is it worth trying to get a StoD chaos leader in there at all? The foot sorcs spell is very nice and the manticore lord is fast'ish and sort of killy while being relatively durable with the shield. I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't have enough casting to really get the most out of the summoning, hence asking about the Ogroid.
    Hm, the Sorc Lord (either on foot or on Manticore) is a solid option for sure. I'm not extremely familiar with all the Mortal stuff in DoT, to be fair, but their base stuff is pretty good, and if you're running a contingent of Warriors then it's both fluffy and good support. The Mortal/Arcanite spells have some solid options (though the Artifacts are meh), so perhaps it's worth having a Sorcerer just for stuff like Shield of Fate or Bolt of Tzeentch.

The Ogroid is one of my favorite models, but I'm not entirely convinced it's super good. It's fairly punchy and has a reasonable spell... but for less points you can get a Daemon Prince who I can assure you will hit harder and move faster. I guess it depends on how much you want to get free Brimstones out of the Ogroid's spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
    Welp i've just gotten into Sigmarines as an army, playing sacrosanct chamber.

After my first game yesterday, sequitors are nasty things
    Yeah they're busted tbh. The balancing factor is that you have to take an Arcanum as General, which isn't that big of a downside, but does limit you in building somewhat. Basically makes them impossible as Battleline in something like a Stardrake build or certain shooting-heavy builds.

11. - Top - End - #791

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Because something needs to compete with Grimgasts for proof that GW doesn't playtest AoS.
    I thought the existence of Legions of Nagash was enough for proof?

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    I thought the existence of Legions of Nagash was enough for proof?
    TBH it's not even LoN that's the problem. It's overall fine (Grimghasts added as part of the book is questionable but whatever). The main issue is that Nagash is way to swingy. If Realm Spells are included, he's OP beyond measure imo. If they're not, then he's merely way too good for his points. Compare to Archaon, who is more expensive and way worse. His points are correct for a huge, killy, durable monster that can solo multiple units by himself, but the fact that he also buffs the entire army and makes it also unkillable is the real problem. When included, he's essentially a second set of allegiance abilities.

If you take Nagash out of the game, LoN is a pretty well balanced army. Yes, there are other hard to kill, buffy Heroes to make your General (Arkhan, of course being baby Nagash), but it's not nearly on the same scale of overall power.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

What's so special about Tzaangor Skyfires? I vaguely remember them being considered very cheesy a while ago, but looking at their stats now they seem underwhelming for a lot of points. What am I missing?

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    What's so special about Tzaangor Skyfires? I vaguely remember them being considered very cheesy a while ago, but looking at their stats now they seem underwhelming for a lot of points. What am I missing?
    They were really insane when they were 160 for 3, instead of 200/3 like they are now. Also, their MW proc used to be a 6+, so the Shaman could make it happen on a 5, and Damned Terrain used to be a +1 to hit, so they were cheap, flying around, hitting on 2+ doing MWs on 4+ (and yay Destiny Dice), and Look Out Sir wasn't in the original AoS rules.

Now, I think they're just a really good option for any Beasts or Tzeentch player to include (or even ally in for other Chaos) since they're still a fairly efficient shooting unit that's also good in melee.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Makes sense - so now they only do the scary stuff on a 6? My partner has bought a bunch of Tzeentch for 40k and AOS recently, and i'm poking through the rules to see what's what.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks for the opinions all, will have a chat to the guys at the store as well (one of our lads is top 30 in Aus) and see what they have to say too.

Seeing that Skaven is coming out soon, allowing mixed clans, I might even consider putting mine back on the field since they completely ruined my skryre army from 8th and I don't like the stormfiend models, so wasn't keen on skryrefyre.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Thanks for the opinions all, will have a chat to the guys at the store as well (one of our lads is top 30 in Aus) and see what they have to say too.

Seeing that Skaven is coming out soon, allowing mixed clans, I might even consider putting mine back on the field since they completely ruined my skryre army from 8th and I don't like the stormfiend models, so wasn't keen on skryrefyre.
    I do wonder what they'll do with Skryre. I don't think anyone enjoys skryrefyre popping up 4" away and ruining friendships. The new boss looks pretty cool, though.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I do wonder what they'll do with Skryre. I don't think anyone enjoys skryrefyre popping up 4" away and ruining friendships. The new boss looks pretty cool, though.
    Hopefully go back to what they have always been - warpstone gadgets with big payoffs but also big downsides that supplement (but not replace) regular skaven units. Skryre already had a bunch of stuff, more than anything else in the army. If anything, Eshin should get more stuff, and I say that as a dedicated Skryre fanboi.

As long as I can put a bunch of Verminous clannies and a block of stormvermin down with Skryre support and have it not be garbage, I'll be happy.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-3/

So abilities that cover <Skaven> armies, and then each clan gets their own abilities at the same time? That's a bit of bookkeeping but will lead to some interesting armies for sure.

Drasius, this pique your interest?

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

So I've fallen enough in love with the new Troggoth models I caved and bought some just to paint, so now I'm wondering what advice people have for a Troggoth heavy or pure Troggoth army.

At current my Troggoth models include 6 Fellwaters, 3 Rockgut and 1 Troggboss. Also a Chaos Troggoth King, but my understanding of how AoS works is that there's no way to mix it with Gloomspite Troggs, and that it wouldn't add anything much even if I could.

Also have a (Chaos) Gargant.

So for a fairly casual environment is there a need for goblins or could trolls be sufficient to make a passable army?
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2019-02-05 at 05:58 PM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    So I've fallen enough in love with the new Troggoth models I caved and bought some just to paint, so now I'm wondering what advice people have for a Troggoth heavy or pure Troggoth army.

At current my Troggoth models include 6 Fellwaters, 3 Rockgut and 1 Troggboss. Also a Chaos Troggoth King, but my understanding of how AoS works is that there's no way to mix it with Gloomspite Troggs, and that it wouldn't add anything much even if I could.

Also have a (Chaos) Gargant.

So for a fairly casual environment is there a need for goblins or could trolls be sufficient to make a passable army?
    Yeah the King is kind of a loss unless you want to proxy it as a Troggboss, but it's probably too small in general. The Gargant could probably be run as an Aleguzzler Gargant with no real problem, though.

If you're running Troggoth heavy, the Troggherd is probably a must take. I think all the Trogg options are pretty good, and you can probably run pure Trogg or mostly, but you might find yourself struggling to score Objectives and having some hard matchups. A couple little chump units aren't amiss, though I don't think you need 100 Grots or anything silly like that. The Boss in particular is amazing, I might even recommend a second one. Give your general the Glowy Howzit for sure, and just go punch things!

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So abilities that cover <Skaven> armies, and then each clan gets their own abilities at the same time? That's a bit of bookkeeping but will lead to some interesting armies for sure.

Drasius, this pique your interest?
    Sounds very neat. I have no doubt they'll be broken within minutes of release, but none of the good things will be anything I like, but just having them be playable instead of total garbage will be nice.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warhammer Community
    The Clans Skryre, on the other hand, get the Lore of Warpvolt Galvanism, allowing them to supercharge nearby units or shield themselves from harm.
    Sad to see that the guy who comes up with the names still hasn't got treatment for his concussion.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

24. - Top - End - #804
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hoo boy this looks... scary. Very fast, lots of attacks.

Granted, it's still a melee only army with relatively few options, most of which hit on 4+ and have little to no Rend outside Monsters. But, this amount of speed and extra dice can quickly make up for that.

25. - Top - End - #805

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Sad to see that the guy who comes up with the names still hasn't got treatment for his concussion.
    Shield themselves from harm? What kind of skryre madness is that!?

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

All the other lores are much more general - lore of the deathmages, lore of the deep, lore of pestilence: why is this one so specific?

27. - Top - End - #807
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Shield themselves from harm? What kind of skryre madness is that!?
    Summoning other rats to fake the force of blow?

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    All the other lores are much more general - lore of the deathmages, lore of the deep, lore of pestilence: why is this one so specific?
    They came up with Canis Wolf born. Don't expect good things.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2019-02-07 at 05:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...ndless-spells/

Pretty interesting overall!

Vermintide is a nice blocking unit that can keep your Heroes safe from charges, as well as potentially dealing some MWs. It's basically Scuttletide with more dice but without the fancy setup rules.

Warp Lightning Vortex is bonkers. It's basically the Everblaze Comet of this book, perhaps better in some ways. Drop it on an objective, completely change the flow of the game. And since the Gnawholes give you +1 to cast, that 8 isn't too difficult to reach!

The Bell of Doom is super fluffy (potentially blowing up in your face as soon as you cast it, very Skaven) and the Battleshock Immunity is quite nice. Good bonus with the chance of failure is the Skaven way!

Gnawholes are potentially very strong, but their power will be very limited by how they're set up at the start of the game. Still, it's a great way to get some of those low range, high power shooting attacks up the board quickly, or get an important model out of harms way. Very much like Sylvaneth Trees but with some differences.

Overall it depends on points for the spells, but I can see the Vortex being a very common take in competitive lists for sure.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

https://www.warhammer-community.com/...mepage-post-1/

Khorne was way outside my first pick for Battletome! It's cool to see the update coming, I like balancing rounds as much as new stuff.

No idea what Warcry is. Skirmish 2.0?

And if Forbidden Power is more freaking Stormcast... /sigh. I play Stormcast and I want them to stop. Just... come on.

Sylvaneth Warband is so pretty though. Underworlds!

30. - Top - End - #810
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: SCE 2K
    Show

Allegiance: Order
    Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
    - General
    - Trait: We Cannot Fail
    - Artefact: God-forged Blade
    - Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
    Knight-Incantor (140)
    Astreia Solbright (220)
    10 x Sequitors (240)
    - Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
    - 4x Stormsmite Greatmaces
    10 x Sequitors (240)
    - 4x Stormsmite Greatmaces
    5 x Sequitors (120)
    5 x Evocators (200)
    3 x Evocators on Dracolines (300)
    Celestar Ballista (100)
    Cleansing Phalanx (120)

Total: 1920 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 2
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 106

So yeah I've put together a Stormcast list I'm planning on building towards. Opinions on it?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.